Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Mdiaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mdiaz wrote:
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Just noticed there was a typo on my side so my X is really 486 (Y stays the same 635). I don’t think it makes any difference but just in case... sorry about my mistake!

Mdiaz,

That typo doesn't change much - same size, same base bar, same stem - you'll just move the pads forward 3 holes (I think, it's 3) but I know the length is in there for that stem on that bike.

Quote:
When it comes to the bar and having the 2019 model the spacers in the middle (not affecting the height as far as I know) what would be my advantage having them on my Set-up versus the flat one?...just trying to understand.

I need to understand this too. I've only seen one of those new bikes at Kona briefly and wasn't able to measure it, inspect it, etc. I'll reach out the engineers in Germany and get more info on the new front-end next week.

Ian

Once again, thank you!

Ian,

How can I get my Y-635 with an S, if Canyon states that its max arm pad stack is 622?...assuming that with the 2019 model, changing the bar won't affect to the Y, I honestly don’t see it.

Thank you again.
Last edited by: Mdiaz: Nov 27, 18 9:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [22kjackson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,
I really appreciate you taking the time to do this for everyone!

22kjackson,

There's two ways go and I have a strong opinion on which one you should do...
1) Small frame, Long Stem, Flat Bar with two 20mm spacers under the pads, and those pads pushed forward one hole shy of all the way.
2) Medium frame, Short Stem, Flat Bar with three 5mm spacers under the pads, and again, and those pads pushed forward one hole shy of all the way.

I think you, and pretty much everybody, should go with the option that causes the fewest aftermarket purchases. As of late all the bikes in the US arrive with a flat base bar and, I suspect, two 20mm spacers and three 5mm spacers and all the hardware (read: bolts) to make all combinations of that to work.

This is one of the reason I'm spec'ing the flat bar. The flat bar comes standard, if you want the rise bar or the drop bar then you have to make that purchase (you could make M+drop bar or S+rise bar work). BTW, I don't think it'll be like that for long. I think there's a time in the near future when you click the 'buy' button and then you are contacted asking - "what do you want, flat bar, rise bar, what?". For now I'm advising what comes spec'd unless is extreme. So, for you - both of those set ups are GREAT! I would want you to call Canyon at 833-226-9611 and ask: "Hey, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Speedmax SLX how long is the stem that comes stock on the Medium and how long is the stem that comes stock on the large?" and buy based on that answer alone.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Fishbum,

580 is long. If that's a typo LMK, if it's correct than you're good for a Canyon Speedmax size large with the long stem (85mm) + the TSP (Team Switch Plate) in the forward position. That's to satisfy your 580 of Pad Reach. Then for your Pad Stack of 635 you'd use the flat base bar with a single 20mm spacer + three 5mm spacers. You could also do the drop base bar with two 20mm spacers or the rise base bar with a single 5mm spacer but I think flat bar is a better choice.

Ian

Now that the SLX has the pad spacers on the stem within the hydration like Jan's, how come the drop bar still lowers pad stack?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Thanks for the reply. My saddle height currently is 825, I’m 184 tall with 90 inseam.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Now that the SLX has the pad spacers on the stem within the hydration like Jan's, how come the drop bar still lowers pad stack?

BigBoyND, excellent question. I'm still quoting the 2018 bike with two separate towers. I have the coordinates for the new 2019 mono-spacer of which you speak but I want more time with that bike to confirm the numbers.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Mdiaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How can I get my Y-635 with an S, if Canyon states that its max arm pad stack is 622?...assuming that with the 2019 model, changing the bar won't affect to the Y, I honestly don’t see it.

Mdiaz,

You're 100% right. Max Pad Y on the new bike, size small is 622. I was quoting the current, 2018 bike which can get near 645 in the small. For you to get your 635/486 on the 2019 bike it'll have to be a Medium, with the short stem. I want to be able to deliver on the details of bar shape (2019 only offers flat and rise) and the amount of spacers but I don't have it exact yet. I should know more next week.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the EU site (2019 bikes) vs US (2018 bikes), it seems the coordinates have changed a lot.

2018 Size L
Stack: 628-681 mm
Reach: 498-572 mm

2019 Size L
Stack: 566-684 mm
Reach: 484-558 mm

So the 2019 can get 60mm lower? How is it so different?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [bigleaguechu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigleaguechu,

For the new SLX, the 2019, the one with the mono spacer under the aerobars you have to be on a size large to get your Pad Y of 665 - but I can't yet say exactly how many spacers you'll need - I should know that in the near future. To get your Pad X of 475 on that bike you'll need the short stem for sure and you'll need the TSP to pull the pads back a bit more.

For the 2018 SLX - you know, the one that's won the last four Ironman World Championships :) - on that bike it now has to be a Medium, with a short stem and then you'll need two aftermarket items (by this I mean, bits that Canyon makes but don't come stock on the bike currently): Rise bar, one 60mm spacer + two 5mm spacers (the 5mm spacer are stock), and the TSP (Team Switch Plate).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could use some help. Don't have a great idea of my TT bike fit as I currently ride an old Felt that was given to me for free and is definitely too small. I am a road racer that wants to step up my TT game during stage races. Can you help me get on the right size frame so that I can get in the right ballpark and start dialing in my fit? Here are my measurements from my latest Retul fit. Bike is a 61 cm Specialized Allez Sprint.

Saddle Height: 839mm
Saddle Setback: -111mm
Handlebar reach: 645mm
Handlebar drop: -119 mm
Grip Reach: 766 mm
Grip Drop: -113 mm
Grip Width: 435mm
BB to Grip Width: 435mm
BB to Grop Reach: 655 mm
Handlebar stack: 668 mm
Handlebar reach: 534 mm

Appreciate any guidance you can provide!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian, Great post. Maybe you can help. I'm looking for a Speedmax CF SLX. This would be my 1st Tri bike. I'm doing 70.3's and Olympic distance with a Specialized Venge... I'm 5'9" and 3/4 , about 177cm. My inseem is 87cm. I've take all my measurement asked on Canyon's web site. It suggest a Small size in CF SLX. Not sure it's the right size? Thanks for helping.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [madfoot101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Madfoot101, Tell me how tall you are and I'll see if I can work up an answer. It won't be the best answer, but it'll be a good answer. I've stated this before in this thread and I'm going to state it again not just for you Madfoot but for all athletes out there considering a bike purchase.

If you are going to buy a TT bike/Tri bike...

The best option is to go to an educated, experienced bike fitter who has a dynamic fit bike and get a Prescriptive Fit. A dynamic fit bike is just a tool but I believe that prescribing a bike like this can't be done with a road bike on a trainer, can't be done well with any static fit process. Prescriptive fits can be expensive $200-$400 but they are worth it. You walk away with your Pad Y (Pad Stack) and Pad X (Pad Reach) as well as the size of super bike that's right for you - in this case a Canyon Speedmax, AND you get the front end configuration: this version of the stem, that version of the base bar, this many spacers under the arm pads, etc. That's the "prescription" part. You also leave with fit coordinates: saddle height, set back, cockpit distance, drop, pad width, extension length, saddle tilt, bar tilt, etc. etc.

Another option is - if you have an existing tri/tt bike and you love the fit - let me walk you through the process of measuring the Pad Y and Pad X and we can duplicate the bike you love within the new purcase.

If you can't get fit before the buy, if you don't have a bike to reference then we can start measuring your bod and get close.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response and noted on all of it. I am 6'4". Maybe worth going back in Jan to my fitter for a prescriptive fit if I really want to take down some TTs....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I will take a shot here.

X = 428mm
Y= 670mm

I am probably due for another fit soon, as I feel I can get a bit lower now then when I was fit the last time. Thanks for doing this. I'm 6'2" with a 34 inseam if that helps at all.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ianpeace-

Thanks for doing this:

X= 424
Y= 663

Saddle Height = 761

I'm 6'1" with 32" inseam if that helps any.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

X = 428mm
Y= 670mm

rsmoylar,

Let me start by saying this...I'm hoping your Pad X of 428 is to the back of the pad. I'm gonna add 50mm to that to get to pad center and make your Pad X 478. Now, this is super presumptuous but it kinda makes sense with your build (6'2" with 34" inseam) especially if you like to ride a bit cramped or maybe you ride shallow in seat angle - let me know, 'til then I'm going forward with 478 as the Pad X.

I've taken to prescribing BOTH the 2018 Speedmax and the 2019 Speedmax because...well, as I type this there is a 2018 Medium 9.0 SLX in stock* and I'm not sure if the next wave of bikes to arrive will be 2018s or 2019s. We're in a fun time right now so I'll keep working out both options to keep all options open for everybody.

So, on the 2018 Speedmax SLX you'd ride Medium* with the rise bar, short stem and one 60mm spacer + three 5mm spacers. You'd also need the TSP (Team Switch Plate) to help pull the pads back a bit more than stock, that TSP & the 60mm spacer, and the rise bar are all aftermarket items. You'd nearly fit a Large with the stock flat bar, short stem, one 60mm spacer + one 5mm spacer (still with TSP) but it puts your Pad X center at 484, that puts this presumed Pad X 6mm longer than you like, so there's a question - either way, when you refit if you wanna go lower there's room with both options.

On the 2019 Speedmax SLX you can only ride the Large and you can choose flat or rise bar and you'd still need the TSP to get back to the presumed Pad X of 478.

Let me know if I'm wrong about the Pad X, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

X = 428mm
Y= 670mm

rsmoylar,

Let me start by saying this...I'm hoping your Pad X of 428 is to the back of the pad. I'm gonna add 50mm to that to get to pad center and make your Pad X 478. Now, this is super presumptuous but it kinda makes sense with your build (6'2" with 34" inseam) especially if you like to ride a bit cramped or maybe you ride shallow in seat angle - let me know, 'til then I'm going forward with 478 as the Pad X.

I've taken to prescribing BOTH the 2018 Speedmax and the 2019 Speedmax because...well, as I type this there is a 2018 Medium 9.0 SLX in stock* and I'm not sure if the next wave of bikes to arrive will be 2018s or 2019s. We're in a fun time right now so I'll keep working out both options to keep all options open for everybody.

So, on the 2018 Speedmax SLX you'd ride Medium* with the rise bar, short stem and one 60mm spacer + three 5mm spacers. You'd also need the TSP (Team Switch Plate) to help pull the pads back a bit more than stock, that TSP & the 60mm spacer, and the rise bar are all aftermarket items. You'd nearly fit a Large with the stock flat bar, short stem, one 60mm spacer + one 5mm spacer (still with TSP) but it puts your Pad X center at 484, that puts this presumed Pad X 6mm longer than you like, so there's a question - either way, when you refit if you wanna go lower there's room with both options.

On the 2019 Speedmax SLX you can only ride the Large and you can choose flat or rise bar and you'd still need the TSP to get back to the presumed Pad X of 478.

Let me know if I'm wrong about the Pad X, Ian

I will follow up, if that is alright after my next fit assessment. Thanks so much! Just so we are clear though, that 9.0 SLX you have in medium, that's an $11,000 bike, right? Or am I reading their site wrong? Again, Ian, thanks so much.

Scott

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott,

That Medium that is in stock currently is the 9.0 SLX at $8,500 https://www.canyon.com/...hlon/speedmax/cf-slx
The SLX 9.0 LTD is the $11k bike

Please do circle back after your fit - and speaking of that, if you'd like some input on a fitter in your area just give me the city and I'll make some suggestions. As an fit instructor for both F.I.S.T. & Guru Academy...and many years in the community...and a very strong opinion about the process that yeilds a prescriptive fit - I'm eager to recommend if I can.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian, thanks again. I have been working with Ian Buchanan at FitWerx. I am in Vermont. I have heard from Dan and others that he is very good and I have been very happy with the work that they do there. I would love to hear of your recommendation though as I respect your opinion as well. Thanks!

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott,
You're in great hands at Fit Werx and on their Purely Custom Dynamic Fit Bike. Go back, go through the process again. See how your position has changed and be sure to leave with Pax Y and Pax X to center of pad. Get back to me and let's make sure we are dead-on for this Speedmax prescription.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [BTEEZY28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for doing this:

X= 424
Y= 663

BTEEZY2, you are welcome!

Okay...I'm going to paste a paragraph that I just wrote 5 posts above this one and I'm just going to tweak the numbers slightly so that it applies to you.....Let me start by saying this...I'm hoping your Pad X of 424 is to the back of the pad. I'm gonna add 50mm to that to get to pad center and make your Pad X 474. Now, this is super presumptuous but it nearly makes sense with your build (6'1" with 32" inseam) especially if you like to ride a bit cramped or maybe you ride shallow in seat angle - let me know, 'til then I'm going forward with 474 as the Pad X.

Here we go....on the 2018 Canyon Speedmax SLX you're a Medium, rise bar, short stem, a single 60mm spacer + a single 5mm spacer, and the TSP plate. Couple of notes here: the rise bar, 60mm spacer, and TSP are all aftermarket items. There is no other size bike or base bar that will work. If you went sans TSP the shortest the Pad X will get is 489 (pads back all the way on the stock mounts). That's 15mm longer - not out of the question as we see lots of fits where the rider could/should be riding with a bit more reach. And that bit there about the single 60mm spacer + a single 5mm spacer that's yields a Pad Y of 660, if you wanted to error on the up side of things you'd do a 60 + two 5s - an easy fix.

On the 2019 Canyon Speedmax SLX you're a Large with a short stem, and the TSP and you can choose either the flat bar or the rise bar, on the base bar shape doesn't have any effect on the arm pad elevation. I'm not yet 100% sure of the spacers needed to get to 663 but it's for sure doable. And it has to be a Large, the lowest the new bike goes to on Pad Y is 650, a full 13mm down.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [JFGOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JFGOTRI wrote:
Hey Ian, Great post. Maybe you can help. I'm looking for a Speedmax CF SLX. This would be my 1st Tri bike. I'm doing 70.3's and Olympic distance with a Specialized Venge... I'm 5'9" and 3/4 , about 177cm. My inseem is 87cm. I've take all my measurement asked on Canyon's web site. It suggest a Small size in CF SLX. Not sure it's the right size? Thanks for helping.

Hi Ian, this would be more complete:

I ride a Venge 54" with tri bars
Height 176.5cm
Inseem 87 cm (long legs for my height)

Pad Y Stack = 660mm
BB vertical to top of arm pad

Pad X BB Reach = 374mm (BB horizontal to back of pad)
Saddle Set back = -75mm
Pad X Reach = 449mm

I have a 172.5mm crank. Would probably need a shorter one. 165mm? 170mm?

Arm lenght 64cm
Shoulders 42cm

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian,

About to pull the trigger on the 2018 version currently on special CF SLX.

typical S vs M. ( site says Small )

- height = 177.5
- inseam = 81
- saddle height 69-70
- x = 46
- y = 63

( I would like at least 20mm either side with x & y )

any advice ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

i'm looking to get Speedmax CF 8 LTD for my 15yo daughter, mostly for sprint triathlons and occasional TT. So, Female, tall, skinny, very athletic, never ridden TT bike before.
120lb
5' 9.4" (176cm)
Per Canyon charts:
Shoulder width 15"
Arm length 25.5"
Inseam length 33.5"
Torso length 23.5"
Canyon calculator yields size M, but entering a height of just 175cm yields S.

Her road bike is 2015 Felt AR3, 51cm, saddle is in "road" position, saddle height 762mm, saddle setback 55mm, crank 172.2mm, stem 90mm. Bike has Vision team mini TT clip-ons with pad stack of 648mm, and reach to the pad middle of 489mm from the nose of road saddle or 434mm from the bottom bracket centerline.
Would you recommend S or M? Thanks!!!!

P.S.: Ian, I apologize -- originally I posted wrong measurements for stack and reach, correct ones are ABOVE now. My apologies again.
Last edited by: vladi: Dec 14, 18 5:29
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Pumphreywj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My saddle height currently is 825, I’m 184 tall with 90 inseam.

John,

I'm sorry for the slow reply. I wanted to work this formula I'm using a bit more and test it out. It seems really good. Based on the numbers you gave me - and you've got a long inseam - I think your Pad Y is ~632 and I think your Pad X is ~511.

From that ....the 2018 Speedmax CF SLX that's right for you is a Medium with a Flat Base Bar, Short Stem with a single 60mm spacer, and pads 1 or 2 holes forward of center. The 60mm spacer is an aftermarket item, it doesn't come stock but the Flat Base Bar does.

For the 2019 Speedmax CF SLX it's still a Medium, and it's still the short stem. It can be either the Flat Base Bar of the Rise Base Bar and I think you'd need a single 20mm spacer + three 5mm spacers to get to 630mm - or - two 20mm spacers to get to 635 in Pad Y

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

Thanks for doing this!

Pad x = 385 back of pad
Pad y = 720

From a bike fit for my first tt bike.

188cm tall
81cm inseam if that helps

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next