Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [DanielB84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

First post here after reading for several months, been using my Canyon Ultimate as a sort of tri-bike for some time and after a Guru bike fit i came to the conclusion i need something better fitting.
Just had my first bike fit yesterday and during the fit i became clear the speedmax CF in both L and XL should fit just , but i want to find out which one fits better.

the results of the fit are: handlebar x 516, Handlebar Y 660 , extension Profile Design 4525, extension length 325, pad reach 466, pad stack 720, pad offset 50, pad c t c 240
saddle height 863, saddle setback 45, saddle drop 131, length 193, inseam 95

DanielB84,
Lots of good info here, thank you. I'm gonna use Pad Stack of 720 and Pad X of 516 (I think 466 is to the back of the pad and I need middle of the pad so I'm adding 50mm). For the Canyon Speedmax CF. You are absolutely an XL. The new CF's come with the Profile Design subsonic aerobar and that sits a lot lower than the ol' supersonic bar did. The result is that the pads are lower. You might need all of the spacers (one 20mm + two 10mm + two 5mm spacers under the aerobar) to get to 720. The reach will be perfect with arm cups in the middle hole - or one back from that.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian, we met at interbike in 2016 at the coaching course. If still possible can I get your input on this? Here's my info from a previous message on this thread:
Pad X 422 to back of pads Pad Y 537 Saddle height 698 Cranks are 170s I’m 5’6”
I’m trying out a Dash Stage saddle but I don’t honestly know where it should go or I should go on it - switched from a Specialized Sitero, and before that ISM Time Trial (older).

Jeremy,

Great to hear from you. I'm not sure I understand the question - am I prescribing a Canyon or am I suggesting where to put the Dash (please let it be the former, cause I can only scratch the surface on the latter).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad! Just the canyon, the dash saddle info was just me adding useless details, sorry! Thx again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian, we met at interbike in 2016 at the coaching course. If still possible can I get your input on this? Here's my info from a previous message on this thread:
Pad X 422 to back of pads Pad Y 537 Saddle height 698 Cranks are 170s I’m 5’6”

Okay, a Pad Y of 537 is VERY low and should I be converting to a Pad X of 472 to get to center of pad? Probably because 422 is super, super short. The lowest the Speedmax SLX goes is 565 and that's a full 30mm higher than you ride. The Pad X of 472 is perfect in the center arm cup hole with the short stem that comes stock but the Pad Y is too far off.

The CF doesn't quite meet you either. The 472 is achievable in the Small but the lowest that one goes is 462. If you got the XS then you'd have change the stock stem for a longer one to get to 472 (that's not a problem) but the XS bottoms out at 553 - closer than the SLX but wow!

Let me ask you... what size, make, model and aerobar are you using now that has you at 537? And by the way, seat height of nearly 700 that means you ride a drop of 17cm... wow!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. I should have converted to pad x center - 422 is back of pads, you are right thanks.
2. 537 is low - nothing seems to fit me - I'm not currently in peak race shape so I could for sure go higher right now, but 537 was my last fit, done at ERO.
3. I worry about going too small on a frame, and having too much toe overlap with the front wheel (ok, I know every frame is different but this happened with my old 51cm Cervelo S2 and it was a PITA.
4. I don't currently have a tri bike but my previous was an XS Argon 19 E116, with an original edition Profile Design Aeria (lots of stack on that bar), with a Ritchey 4-axis adjustable stem at -40deg. That stem was the only was I could get low enough with THAT bar, and at that time I went for the cheapest/quickest fix to get low enough, which was swapping that stem in and keeping the PD Aeria, vs. getting a different bar/stem setup.
5. I rounded up the seat height, the last fit session was actually 698.

Happy to send you the fit report if you'd like to see. It's a super head-scratcher for me, so I really appreciate your input on this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm hoping you can help give me some advice, I just bought a speedmax CF size: Large.

Previously I've always used my road bike which I fitted with some aerobars and had a bike fit done years ago. With the new bike I'm a bit worried about moving to such an aggressive position right in the middle of my race season, especially with my A-race coming up in 8 weeks.

I'm thinking about temporarily setting up the speedmax to match my previous bikes setup, which leaves me in quite an upright position but won't cause me discomfort in the short term. I've matched the saddle position to the BB easily enough, getting the front end setup is where I'm struggling, not sure if it's possible and wanted to get your advice.

My old bike has:
Arm pad reach from BB: approx 400mm
Arm pad stack from BB: approx 760mm

I've used all the arm pad spacers that came with the bike which gives a 50mm increase, but will likely need to order more, although I think the max profile design have is 70mm.
I'm also thinking I need a much shorter stem then the 90mm stem that came with the bike. I think canyon only do a 70mm which may not be enough either.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Maybe I am approaching this all wrong and should just be trying to get used to a new position.
I would really appreciate your thoughts,
Many Thanks,
Jeremy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeremy,

Your pad Y is super low. I don't necessarily doubt that is accurate but I have to them look around at stuff and see if it makes sense to me.

One of the things I look at is your drop. A typical arm pad elevation ("drop") is 10-15% of seat height. So when someone has a seat height well outside that number it's a thing that makes me say "hmmmmm". On this thread I have some people who, in a round about way, reveal their drops to be 30mm-ish and I have to ask about that. Your seat height of 698 and your Pad Y is 537, if I subtract I get your drop: 161mm - that's about 23% of saddle height. That's a lot and while it's not a red flag, it causes me to make a note. Then I take note of 170mm cranks and, for me, that doesn't jive at all. if you're gonna ride with a 16cm drop at 5'6" that screams 160 or 155mm cranks.

But look, you and I are doing this via text on a forum. Text is not the medium of bike fitting. You've had a bike fit - that's gonna take precedence over anything we do on the keyboard.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [JS86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I'm hoping you can help give me some advice, I just bought a speedmax CF size: Large.

Previously I've always used my road bike which I fitted with some aerobars and had a bike fit done years ago. With the new bike I'm a bit worried about moving to such an aggressive position right in the middle of my race season, especially with my A-race coming up in 8 weeks.

I'm thinking about temporarily setting up the speedmax to match my previous bikes setup, which leaves me in quite an upright position but won't cause me discomfort in the short term. I've matched the saddle position to the BB easily enough, getting the front end setup is where I'm struggling, not sure if it's possible and wanted to get your advice.

My old bike has:
Arm pad reach from BB: approx 400mm
Arm pad stack from BB: approx 760mm

I've used all the arm pad spacers that came with the bike which gives a 50mm increase, but will likely need to order more, although I think the max profile design have is 70mm.
I'm also thinking I need a much shorter stem then the 90mm stem that came with the bike. I think canyon only do a 70mm which may not be enough either.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Maybe I am approaching this all wrong and should just be trying to get used to a new position.
I would really appreciate your thoughts,
Many Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy (JS86),

In addition to being a fitter, I've been a full time triathlon coach for 20+ years so my response to your query is coming from a place a bit beyond a fitter. Here's what I think you should do...
My guess is your road bike is NOT in your optimal tri position. I think you already know that - after all, you bought a tribike. I do NOT want you to try and set up your tri bike in your old road bike with clip-on aerobars.

1) Ride your new tribike at your triathlon in 8 weeks, and ride it a new, better, tri specific position than your current bike
2) To get ready to for your race in 8 weeks ride the new bike in the new position often but NOT immediately long. If, for example, you've had long rides of 130k (80mi), you can't just throw a switch and ride 5 hours in a new position. You'll need to progress back up to that distance over, say, 3-4 weeks with rides of an hour, 90min, 2 hours, 2.5hrs, 3 hours. etc.
3) Now, the biggie...how are you going to go about finding the right, new position?

Let's aim for the "core four": seat height, set back, cockpit distance, pad drop.
Seat Height - well it can't be too different from your current bike. You could, perhaps, start with the exact seat height you're using now
Set Back - This is hard for lots of reasons - the new bike has a nose-less saddle on it, we can't simply guess at a set back and we can't really compare this to your old bike because it probably has a long nosed, road saddle on it. But here's a thing we can assume - the seat angle of new bike will be steeper than the seat angle on your old bike. That is a place to start.
Cockpit Distance - When you're seated on the new tri bike your upper body weight should be resting on your humerus bones while your forearm/elbow sit on the pads. There's a place there that's comfortable for you and you need to find it. Then, when the pads are set you'll want the shifters in your hands not way out in front of you causing you to release your grip and reach out to find the shifter. This could mean cutting the aerobar extension.
drop - start with 10% of your seat height and ride that for a bit to see how it feels.

If you want to post pics (or, better yet, video) here I will respond.

Ian

3)

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Jun 30, 19 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally get it and thanks for your input. I don’t think I’m oddly proportioned as a human but the coordinates from that fit are definitely weird. I’m sure from a comfort perspective I could come up, and the recommendation from the session was 165mm cranks, which I haven’t pulled the trigger on yet.

Lots to think about on all this. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for the suggestion and info, it absolutely sounds like a better approach than what I had been planning!

Seat height - I'll copy from previous bike, as I mentioned I did have a bike fit a number of years ago so I'm confident I at least have that right! :-)

Set back - I think I can mitigate your concerns on this one because when I set up my previous bike to be a 'tri' bike I switched the road saddle to a Cobb JOF 55. I plan to just switch the saddle over onto my new bike, so I guess the set back can just be the same as on the previous bike as well?

You also mentioned the saddle angle, I'm not sure how to get an accurate measure of this to be totally honest, I tend to just tip the saddle forwards a bit as a general rule, although without measuring it. I find doing this takes the pressure off the perineum when I'm on my aerobars, which prevents me getting numb in places I don't want damaged ;-)
Is saddle angle something I should pay more attention to?

Cockpit distance - once my saddle is fixed, it doesn't feel like I have much adjustability here (without going out and buying a new stem). I think the only movement I have is by screwing the pads into different holes on the pad stack?. I guess this will give me one or two cm's adjustment. As I mentioned in my first email, the arm pad reach is much larger than on my previous bike so this is going to be a big one for me to get used to.

Pad drop - you're suggesting 10% of the seat height which I will give a go using the spacers that came with the bike. Just for info, I looked on my previous bike and it was closer to a 5% drop that I had on there, so another one that could take some getting used to.
I assume when you measure seat height you take it as the distance from the center of the BB up to the top of the saddle? (Measuring along the seat tube and seat post rather than a vertical measurement).

Thanks again for your help!
If you can get back to me on these questions then I'll have a go at a first set-up and send a picture to see if you think it looks about right.

Many Thanks,
Jeremy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

First post here after reading for several months, been using my Canyon Ultimate as a sort of tri-bike for some time and after a Guru bike fit i came to the conclusion i need something better fitting.
Just had my first bike fit yesterday and during the fit i became clear the speedmax CF in both L and XL should fit just , but i want to find out which one fits better.

the results of the fit are: handlebar x 516, Handlebar Y 660 , extension Profile Design 4525, extension length 325, pad reach 466, pad stack 720, pad offset 50, pad c t c 240
saddle height 863, saddle setback 45, saddle drop 131, length 193, inseam 95

DanielB84,
Lots of good info here, thank you. I'm gonna use Pad Stack of 720 and Pad X of 516 (I think 466 is to the back of the pad and I need middle of the pad so I'm adding 50mm). For the Canyon Speedmax CF. You are absolutely an XL. The new CF's come with the Profile Design subsonic aerobar and that sits a lot lower than the ol' supersonic bar did. The result is that the pads are lower. You might need all of the spacers (one 20mm + two 10mm + two 5mm spacers under the aerobar) to get to 720. The reach will be perfect with arm cups in the middle hole - or one back from that.

Ian

Thanks for the response Ian, helps a lot with the decision making, can you or anyone else help me out with another thing that has been bothering me for some time, the pad are just not wide and long enough for a comfortable fit.
Are there any wider and/or longer pads available that work with the Profile Design on the Speedmax ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [DanielB84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the pad are just not wide and long enough for a comfortable fit.
Are there any wider and/or longer pads available that work with the Profile Design on the Speedmax ?

Daniel,
Based on your comment I think you'd absolutely love the 51 Speedshop Arm Cups I've mounted a couple of these onto the Profile Design bracket and all I needed to do was open the plastic screw hole on the cup with a round file. It's a minor adjustment and took all about about 10sec per hole (4 holes).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [JS86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Jeremy, we're getttin' somewhere!

Quote:
Seat height - I'll copy from previous bike, as I mentioned I did have a bike fit a number of years ago so I'm confident I at least have that right! :-)
Regarding SEAT HEIGHT - sounds like that's pretty settled. Just keep in mind that as we move the seat forward (see note on setback below) it might need to come up just a hair from where it was on the road bike.

Quote:
Set back - I think I can mitigate your concerns on this one because when I set up my previous bike to be a 'tri' bike I switched the road saddle to a Cobb JOF 55. I plan to just switch the saddle over onto my new bike, so I guess the set back can just be the same as on the previous bike as well? You also mentioned the saddle angle, I'm not sure how to get an accurate measure of this to be totally honest, I tend to just tip the saddle forwards a bit as a general rule, although without measuring it. I find doing this takes the pressure off the perineum when I'm on my aerobars, which prevents me getting numb in places I don't want damaged ;-) Is saddle angle something I should pay more attention to?
Regarding SETBACK - Cobb JOF 55 is so great (I ride the same). Unless you did something drastic to the road bike (like pulled out the stock post and put in some sort of set forward post) the angle of frame on the Speedmax will put this saddle in a more forward position than your road bike held it - and we want that. That's a key element of the tri position. Quick side bar to reduce some confusion that I created: "seat angle" and "set back" address the same issue: the fore-aft location of the saddle in relation to the bottom bracket. I think you took my "seat angle" to mean "saddle tilt" - how far down/up/level the nose of the saddle gets tipped. Now, back to setback Let's stay for a moment the Cobb, when it was on your road bike, had a set back of 10cm or more - that would be logical. That same saddle on the Speedmax could very easily have a set back of 5cm (give or take). I would expect/want the saddle to be farther forward on the Speedmax than it was on the road bike.

Quote:
Cockpit distance - once my saddle is fixed, it doesn't feel like I have much adjustability here (without going out and buying a new stem). I think the only movement I have is by screwing the pads into different holes on the pad stack?. I guess this will give me one or two cm's adjustment. As I mentioned in my first email, the arm pad reach is much larger than on my previous bike so this is going to be a big one for me to get used to.
Well, the reason we shop for tri bikes using Stack and Reach (a measurement to the top of the frame on a mortal bike) or Pad Stack and Pad Reach (measurement to the pads on a super bike) is so that we can obtain a position that comes to meet your body - for comfort first, power creation second, and aero-ness third. You have two ways to control the cockpit distance: 1 is to move the pads fore and aft via screw holes and 2 is via a shorter stem. Now here's some good news - it seems like we've just figured out that your saddle should be much farther forward that you thought - maybe even a full 5cm, that's a big number. It means that your cockpit just got 50mm shorter! if you can bring the pads back 20 or 30mm more mill - that's a real change. BUT you can also get a shorter stem and believe me, stem swap is super common in bike fitting, it's nearly expected in 50% of new bike purchases to get the fit right.

Quote:
I assume when you measure seat height you take it as the distance from the center of the BB up to the top of the saddle? (Measuring along the seat tube and seat post rather than a vertical measurement).
Regarding DROP - Yes, that's the right way to measure saddle height.

Quote:
Pad drop - you're suggesting 10% of the seat height which I will give a go using the spacers that came with the bike. Just for info, I looked on my previous bike and it was closer to a 5% drop that I had on there, so another one that could take some getting used to.
More on DROP - This is part of the key benefit of being on a tri bike - follow me on this: on a road bike your hips are a bit behind the bottom bracket, your bars are bit higher. As we play an imaginary film of someone morphing, frame by frame from a good road positon into a good tri position there is a rotation of the body forward and down - the hips move over the bottom bracket, and the bars go down. The end result is that the body is able to make power in the pedals while the upper body rests on the elbows, and we are very much out of the wind (compared to the road position). Your road bike was deeply limited in how much/how far your hips could approach the BB, and how low your arm pads could go. Hell, the Speedmax CF isn't even a crazy long and low tri bike so go with it, let the bike take you to where you should be on race day in 8 weeks or at least 60-70% of the way to the ultimate position.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Daniel,
Based on your comment I think you'd absolutely love the 51 Speedshop Arm Cups I've mounted a couple of these onto the Profile Design bracket and all I needed to do was open the plastic screw hole on the cup with a round file. It's a minor adjustment and took all about about 10sec per hole (4 holes).

Ian[/quote]
Ian, one last question before actually ordering, should i get the standard 90mm stem or one of the shorter options ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian, one last question before actually ordering, should i get the standard 90mm stem or one of the shorter options ?

DanielB84,
Everybody's fantasy- and I mean everybody; customers, fitters, even Canyon themselves - is to be able to spec stuff we want within the order process. That might happen in 5 years but we're not there yet. The bike will come with the longer stem and you can't ask for a different one within the purchase. It's cool because I think the stock stem will work (if it doesn't you can order another later but I think that'll be moot). I have to warn you....I think you're bike might come to you with 175mm cranks on it. My advice is this....wait for the bike to arrive. If it has 175s on it pull them off before riding. Order a 165 and install them. Sell the 175s as "never ridden".

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian , can I try this.

x = 450 ( mid pad )
y = 620
Seat Height = 725
My Height = 172
Weight = 64
Cranks = 172.5

I have been looking at the CF SLX size small, is that correct ?
My seat has crept forward on my old Tri bike over the years and now the nose is in front of BB 10mm, however it is a long nose seat ( Prologo EVO TTR ) My sit bones are about 590 from back of pads.
I always wanted to go 165 cranks...thinking it might help with comfort.

Thanks

John
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [JohnB250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian ,
x = 450 ( mid pad ) y = 620 Seat Height = 725 My Height = 172 Weight = 64 Cranks = 172.5
I have been looking at the CF SLX size small, is that correct ?
John,
With a Pad Y of 620 you're better off on a Medium. The Max Pad Y on a Small is 620 and that's with everything under the pad. If you got to a Medium then all you need is 25mm of pedestal and that's pretty much dead center of the range of Pad Y on the Medium you have room to move in the future. Now, about that Pad X of 450 you'll need the short stem (easy, it comes stock on the bike), you need to mount the arm cups all the way back (easy), you also need an aftermarket item that Canyon sells for the SLX called TSP (Team Switch Plate) and you'll need that to pull the pads back another little bit to get to 450.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Jul 4, 19 16:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Stack: 652

Reach: 476
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Ksaint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Stack: 652 Reach: 476

Ksiant,
I like how you keep it lean!

Before I dig into this I want to remind everybody that accuracy in communication matters: "Stack" and "Reach" are terms that indicate the top of the head tube and are GREAT for prescribing mortal bikes (bikes with normal stems). "Pad Stack" and "Pad Reach" speak to where the pads are located.

Ksaint, because these numbers hold the value they do I'm certain that a) you meant Pad Stack and Pad Reach and b) you also meant Pad Reach to the center of the pad. If that's NOT the case be sure to get back to me.

For the Canyon Speedmax SLX it'll be a size Large and the short stem that comes stock on that bike is necessary. You'll want either 20 (Pad Stack of 650) or 25mm Pad Stack of 655) of arm pad pedestal under the aerobars and you'll also need an aftermarket device called the TSP to bring the pads back an extra bit so that you can get to 476.

For the Canyon Speedmax CF it'll be a size Medium. You'll be nicely center in the Pad Stack range of 585-672 and nearly dead center on the arm cup bolt holes.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian, I’m 175cm, 80cm inseam, saddle height 718mm, Pad reach 440mm, Pad stack 607mm. What should I size get for base and slx? Thanks, Fante
Last edited by: mft1997: Jul 6, 19 11:26
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [mft1997] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian, I’m 175cm, 80cm inseam, saddle height 718mm, Pad reach 440mm, Pad stack 607mm. What should I size get for base and slx? Thanks, Fante

Fante,

I need to know if 440 is your Pad Reach to rear of pad or to center of pad? I'm going to proceed as if it's to the center but if it's to the rear do let me know as it changes things.

For the Canyon Speedmax SLX you should be on a Small and you'll need the short stem that comes stock on the bike. You'll require 40mm of arm pad pedestal to get to 605 or 45mm to get to 610 - try the 40mil of spacers first. To get to a Pad Reach (center) of 440 you'll need an aftermarket item called a "TSP" to get the pads in the right stop - without the TSP the Pad Reach will be 453 to center even when the pads are mounted all the way back (with TSP you can get down to 426).

For the Canyon Speedmax CF you have to choose a Small with your saddle height. You'll need 40mm of spacer between the base bar and aerobar and you'll want the pads pulled all the way back to their maximum.

Again, if that Pad Reach is to rear let me know and I tweak the prescriptions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, it’s all measure from pad center, so all good. I tried to look up the part “tsp”, but couldn’t find it, who makes them and where do I get it?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [mft1997] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I tried to look up the part “tsp”, but couldn’t find it, who makes them and where do I get it?

The TSP (Team Switch Plate) is a Canyon item built specifically for the SLX. Before you order the bike call into the Support and tell them "I'm about to pull the trigger on this new SLX and I need a TSP can you send me that at the same time so they arrive together". I think they'll charge you ~$25usd for it.

If you got to post #153 on page 7 of this thread you'll see the TSP installed in the "make-my-cockpit-longer" position. You'll mount this the other way.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Appreciate if you can advise the size for me on the women cf. I'm currently fitted on a road bike with clip on aero bars with the following measurements:
Pad X (middle of pad to BB) 420mm
Pad Y (top of pad to BB) 667mm
I’m 164cm, 76.8cm inseam, current saddle height 680mm.
Using canyon's PPS, i'm supposed to be on XS.

Thanks, Jan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [cheahjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian,
Appreciate if you can advise the size for me on the women cf. I'm currently fitted on a road bike with clip on aero bars with the following measurements:
Pad X (middle of pad to BB) 420mm
Pad Y (top of pad to BB) 667mm
I’m 164cm, 76.8cm inseam, current saddle height 680mm.

Jan,
So glad you wrote.
I don't believe for one second that your optimal triathlon position is Pad Y 667. That spot that the converted road bike has placed is too high up in the wind. When you get lower you will be more comfortable (priority one), more powerful (second priority), and a bit more out of the wind (third priority). When I work on your morphology I get something a bit longer and a lot lower: Pad Y of 576 and Pad X of 440.

I do think an XS is the right bike for you but go into this knowing the tallest the Pad Y on that bike will go is 620. You should have faith in this because.... right now you ride 667 and I think you should be 576. If I'm wrong and you need a bit more height in your pads this will go up 40+mm to meet you nicely - not all the way to 667 but that can't be your place. The Pad X range is no problem for you swinging from 420-465 so you'll find your perfect spot.

Couple of side notes. While there is a legit difference between the women/men versions or road bikes in the Canyon line the tri bikes are unisex and they should be. The only difference in the women's version of the CF is color. Also, This bike will show up and it'll be ready to fit you in lots of perfect ways. One thing I'm worried about is this - the cranks that come on the bike will be too long (172.5mm). My advice is simple - before you throw a leg over this bike pull the 172.5s so you can sell them as never ridden. If you simply have to stay on Shimano then get a set of Shimano 105 level cranks in 160mm (shortest they make). If you really want optimal comfort/performance I urge you to acquire a set of 155mm from Cobb or Rotor and have them installed on your bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next