Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pad X 422 to back of pads
Pad Y 537
Saddle height 698
Cranks are 170s
I’m 5’6”
I’m trying out a Dash Stage saddle but I don’t honestly know where it should go or I should go on it - switched from a Specialized Sitero, and before that ISM Time Trial (older).

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Arthur,
That seat height (video 4) is not too low. Both the saddle heights from 3 and 4 are acceptable but I think #4 is the best. Both are safe. The question well be...do you feel more powerful here at #4 (or a hair higher). I can say that if you're racing Long Course (that's my choice for the generic term of a half ironman) or ultradistance (that my generic term for the little "i" ironman distance) you're definitely gonna want to be lower (#4) rather than a bit higher (#3).

I'm sorry if I bother you, but just for understand why I do things : Why do you say it is better for long distance to be a bit lower than for shorter distance? It is less energy consuming? Or less stressful for the knee?
I'll race for 70.3 so I'll let it like this for the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [BenKess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thank you Ian!
Just so I have this down right. I'm perfect with the CF 8.0 LTD, CF 8.0 SL, and CF 7.0?

Yes, they are all the same. Just wheel change, electric VS mechanic, etc... But it don't change the fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [P3aceFrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [BenKess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Just so I have this down right. I'm perfect with the CF 8.0 LTD, CF 8.0 SL, and CF 7.0?

BenKess,

Yes, they are all the same frame, stem and nearly identical bars. It's only the groupset and wheels that are different. Clearly that LTC with Ui2, 40 deep front and 80 deep rear is a sweet ride. Dan (Slowman here on Forum) wrote a piece on this bike and the decision you're about to make and it's a good read: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...max_CF_8.0_7293.html

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [P3aceFrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why do you say it is better for long distance to be a bit lower than for shorter distance? It is less energy consuming? Or less stressful for the knee? I'll race for 70.3 so I'll let it like this for the moment.

Arthur,
I tried to find this thing that Jordan Rapp wrote somewhere here on Slowtwtich a while ago about seat height in long course and ultra distance and I couldn't find it, but the upshot was a hair lower for those long events was preferred. Also the Giro just ended and I got into a chat with some about how the guys in the grand tours ask for their saddles to be lowered a mil or two after week two for greater comfort.

"less stressful for the knee" - of all the sports, all the movement that the human body can do..... I consider riding a bike to be one of the least stressful things a knee can do. Lots and lots and lots of knee surgery protocols have patients pedaling circles the next day. I don't think this is a thing.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
upsidedownmark,
With a Pad Y of 665 and a Pad X of 515 (to center) you are in a great place for a Speedmax SLX!
You're a size Large, short stem, with 35mm of arm pad pedestal, and arm cups are one hole forward of farthest-back-they-can-go.

Now, you said you wanted room to move on the Pad Y - no problem. You can do down incrementally to a place that is as low as 630 and go up as high as 685. You also have room to go longer (or even a bit shorter) in the cockpit.

Ian

Very helpful, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Ian, very interesting. I will remember this tip.

I have small knees problem, that's why I'm a little obsessed by not hurting the knees ahah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, would like to know what size/cockpit I should be looking for in Canyon’s tri line up:

X: 505
Y: 555
Seat height: 682

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [TriSconnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey, would like to know what size/cockpit I should be looking for in Canyon’s tri line up:
X: 505
Y: 555

TriSconnie, that's a mildly extreme position in terms of being low and long.
For the SLX it has to be a Small and it has to be a short stem "slammed" - by that I mean no spacers under the aerobar at all. With that your Pad Y will still be 565. That's as low as the SLX goes. The Pad X is perfect with that short stem (which comes stock) and the pads mounted in the furthest hole Yielding a 507 or you could get the long stem with pads all the way back resulting in the same 507

If you were to ride the CF bike then it's an XS and you can get as low as 553 on that bike. And to get the 505 you'd have to bring in a 120 stem. Canyon doesn't make that so it would be an after market stem and that would get you out to your 505.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pad X - 480
Pad Y - 655 (both to centre of pad)
Height 178 cm
Inseam 85cm
Current crank length 165mm

Looking at the Speedmax CF 7.0
Last edited by: WiseCPA: Jun 10, 19 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [WiseCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pad X - 480
Pad Y - 655 (both to centre of pad)
Height 178 cm
Inseam 85cm
Current crank length 165mm

Looking at the Speedmax CF 7.0

WiseCPA,
You are dead center perfect on a size Medium of the CF 7.0. That bike comes stock with an 80mm stem that is just right for you and you can confirm the pads are bolted dead center (I think it's built with screws in those holes). You are also almost exactly in the mid range of the Pad Y so you'll probably only need spacers under the stem and none under the aerobars (but they'll be there anyway if you want to tweak your position).

I want to you buy this bike, ride this bike, love this bike....I'm going to warn you about something and I don't want it to create a hesitation in your purchase (because you can't find a brand new, sexy tri bike for $2,500 - this is the only one). The cranks that show up on you bike might be 175s and you should remove those before you take one pedal circle, before you screw your pedals in. Pull 'em and install your old 165s or get new 165s with power built in but pull those 175s and sell 'em as "never ridden".

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Jun 10, 19 17:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking to get a speedmax CF 8.0, however the fit confused me a bit. Their online size recommendation says I should go for S size (height: 176cm, Inseam: 82cm) but "To achieve our recommended seat height, you would need to go below the minimum extension limit of the bike’s seatpost." Seems playing with 1cm flips me between M and S.

My fit report (from retul):
Arm Pad Reach: 437mm (tip of saddle to back of arm pad)
Arm Pad Drop: -47mm (center of saddle to arm pad top)
Arm Pad Stack BB: 683mm (BB vertical to top of arm pad)
Arm Pad Reach BB: 411mm (BB horizontal to pack of pad)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [julp11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am looking to get a speedmax CF 8.0, however the fit confused me a bit. Their online size recommendation says I should go for S size (height: 176cm, Inseam: 82cm) but "To achieve our recommended seat height, you would need to go below the minimum extension limit of the bike’s seatpost." Seems playing with 1cm flips me between M and S.

My fit report (from retul):
Arm Pad Reach: 437mm (tip of saddle to back of arm pad)
Arm Pad Drop: -47mm (center of saddle to arm pad top)
Arm Pad Stack BB: 683mm (BB vertical to top of arm pad)
Arm Pad Reach BB: 411mm (BB horizontal to pack of pad)

Thanks!

julp11,
Thanks for writing. I'm here to reduce (end?) the confusion.
If you're Pad Stack is 683 and your Pad Reach (to center of arm pad) is 487 then you are absolutely a Medium. You can't get to either of those numbers with a small. Now, what's your seat height because it seems like the medium will end any hesitation over seat height.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Jun 27, 19 12:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle Height is 744mm (BB to center of saddle profile). Note my paddle reach is 437mm not 487mm (but it's to the back of the arm pad)

Thanks!
Last edited by: julp11: Jun 10, 19 18:42
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [julp11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon, and many other bike companies, measure Pad Reach to the center of the pad. I added 50mm to you Pad Reach to get to the center (most pads at 100mm across). You're a Medium in the CF
Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pad x 487
Pad y 684
Inseam 34 in / 86 cm
Height 6’
Weight 174lbs

I’m struggling between M and L. I had a p5 size 58

I think the M is too low / aggressive even using all the spacers

Is the speedmax cf slx 9.0 just to aggressive for me?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Tri_dada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Pad x 487 Pad y 684
Inseam 34 in / 86 cm
Height 6’ Weight 174lbs
I’m struggling between M and L. I had a p5 size 58
I think the M is too low / aggressive even using all the spacers
Is the speedmax cf slx 9.0 just to aggressive for me?

Tri_dada,

The SLX will get to your Pad X of 487 but with your morphology (6' and that created from a long inseam) you'll have to max out the Pad Y on the size Large to get to 685 - so yes, it'll work but I'm not overly excited about the fact that you are painted into a corner on the pad height.

I'd much rather see you on the Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 LTD - electronic, sexy wheels, perfect bento, hidden repair kit box, etc. and on that bike you're a Medium for sure, and with the stock, 80mm stem that comes on it, and nicely placed with room to move if you wanted.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hey Ian,
Thanks for the response! It sounds like the small SLX with short stem would be the way to go. Coming up a little for long course also wouldn’t be the worst thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian! Really appreciate the response. Just to be clear (since I already bought the medium). You’re saying the medium won’t work but I could squeeze into a L (though you’d rather see me have more flex with the 8.0 model). Correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Tri_dada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_dada,

I had a great talk with my friend, your bike fitter, and one of the best in the business - Jonathan Blyer this morning. You are in the best of hands. Yes it's going to be a Large SLX and Jonathan's already got the prescription. You're gonna use the stock stem (short) that comes on the bike, you won't need any aftermarket add-ons, the Pad Y and Pad X of that bike will come to meet your position perfectly. Also, I'm sad to say that the bike will prolly arrive with 175mm cranks and that will be sub-optimal and can be easily solved too.

Well done.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

beachedbeluga,

I got the fit report you sent and I scoured it - this looks logical to me and I'm thrilled to see 165 cranks. There's lots of good looking numbers here: 91mm drop off of 760 seat height, set back of 67mm on a Sitero (hmm okay, probably). So, we're workin' with Pad Y of 685 and Pad X of 502 (Pad X is 452 but that's to the back of the pad and it's safe to assume Pad X to center is +50mm).

If you were to ride the Canyon Speedmax SLX you would need to get a size Large. The short stem that comes stock is perfect for you and pads would be mounted all the way back. Your Pad Y of 685 is the max Pad Y of this bike and you'd need all of the spacers that come with the bike AND a little aftermarket item that Canyon sells called the "high stack flat spring". Now, if perhaps, that the fit you had leaned just a bit towards numbers and less towards rider feedback, or aschewed forward experimentation (one that could have resulted in a setback of 57 or 52, etc). Then I would bet that your Pad X is more like 510 or 515...and your Pad Y would then be more like 677 or 672. The idea here is that you're position is being rotated around the bottom bracket and you get more forward in your position and lower. So the point is this - if you have to have SLX and if these numbers are good then it's a Large, short stem, spacers maxed and you've got room to move forward and down if you so choose.

If you'd like to have the ability to move up - by this I mean your drop of 91mm already seems low to you and in a few years you'd like it to be 85mm or 80mm then you should be a Canyon Speedmax CF in size Large with the 90mm stem that come stock and you're right in the sweet spot of that bike so you can move higher, lower, nearer, farther with no trouble at all.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

can you please help me to recommend me the Canyon Speedmax CF size? Here are mine fit data from Guru report:
- pad reach: 545mm (I could go even 10mm further)
- pad stack: 665mm
- saddle height over bottom bracket: 761mm
- saddle setback: 20mm
- drop from saddle to bars: 84mm
- reach from saddle to bars: 900mm
I have relatively short legs and long body, height 183cm and inseam 84-85cm, so long reach, short stack

Thanks a lot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, I bought the speedmax cf 8.0 L.

How do you measure Pad x (502)? to the beginning or the center of the pad?
Could you give me and advice on a good starting point for the seat (adamo pn 1.1). On the speedmax cf 8

Thanks for your help

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,
I'm buying the speedmax 8.0 and I'm between M an L
Height: 186 cm/ 6,10 feet
Inseam: 89 cm/ 2.91 feet
Arm: 75 cm/2.46 feet
Seat height: 79cm/ 2.59 feet

I would really appreciate your advice.
Thanks

gaxt, I'm glad you wrote. You should be on a size large frame for sure not a medium.

Based on that info I think your Pad Y is roughly 651 and your Pad X is about 502. I'm going to prescribe both the Speedmax SLX 8.0 and the Speedmax CF 8.0 as I'm not sure to which bike you're referring.

For the SLX: you'll be a size Large, short stem, pads all the way back closest to you results in a Pad X of 498 so that's pretty darn close, and 20mm of arm pad pedestal and you'll be 1mm off at 650. You could be a medium but it would require everything and the kitchen sink under the aerobars to get you up to the max Pad Y of 650 and I like a little room to move.

For the CF: you're a large on this bike as well. You'll be right in the middle of the Pad Y range. It comes with a 90mm stem and that'll work perfectly as it'll put you right in the middle of the Pad X range and you can just find perfect with pads bolted in center holes.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Libor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
can you please help me to recommend me the Canyon Speedmax CF size? Here are mine fit data from Guru report:
- pad reach: 545mm (I could go even 10mm further) - pad stack: 665mm
- saddle height over bottom bracket: 761mm - saddle setback: 20mm
- drop from saddle to bars: 84mm - reach from saddle to bars: 900mm
I have relatively short legs and long body, height 183cm and inseam 84-85cm, so long reach, short stack
Thanks a lot

Libor,

I want to thank you for including a description of your morphology. If you hadn't written about short legs and long body I would have doubted your numbers. You ride moderate in lowness (drop of 8.5cm) but extremely long.

The right Canyon Speedmax CF is an XL for sure. The M, LG, and XL will satisfy your pad height but the cockpit distance you're at now (545) cannot be achieved on the smaller bikes. Even the XL with the stock 90mm stem will not get out to where you need to be. You'll need to go out into the world (Canyon doesn't make anything longer than a 90) and get a 110mm stem. That'll give you 545 or 555 if/when you want to go to that.

Now the XL's a bigger bike but you'll get your pad height still with 10mm to spare AND seat height will be fine too.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next