Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello All. I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for some time now.

I'm in the market to purchase a Tri bike and have my eye on a Speedmax CF 8.0, among others. Since this will be my first Tri bike purchase, I decided to get a Guru Fitting done in order to be armed with some numbers when I start looking for a specific brand/model. The fit process was great and I learned a lot, but I am still a bit unsure about which size to get if I order a Speedmax.

When I put my body dimension into the Canyon fit system it tells me that I normally would be a small, but because of my short inseam an extra small would be a better fit. I understand that the Canyon fit system is just an approximation and may not take into account all other factors. I called Canyon and asked them what size would be best and they really could not give me a definitive answer. According to them I am sort of in-between sizes and either might work.

The Guru Fit System will allow you to pick out a few bikes you may be interested in and recommend the proper sizing and setup needed, such as Stem length, Stem Angle, Spacer size, etc., in order to hit your fit numbers for a particular bike. For the Speedmax CF it recommended a size small with some modifications to the stock stem length and angle. See photo below.

I would like to purchase a bike without having to completely reconfigure the front end with new parts. I know the bike won't fit perfectly out of the box and adjustments will be needed and over time I could fine tune those items. But I would like to get it as close as possible with the stock parts and adjust those to my "fit numbers"

Another issue is that according to my Fit numbers, my Pad Stack and Reach does not even seem possible with a size small Speedmax - See Photo Below.

Then again, I am new to this and not exactly sure how all these numbers fit together and I am sure I am missing something. But it would appear that my pad stack and reach numbers fall into the Extra-Small bike.

Honestly, I am not certain I really understand the whole fit process and how stem length plays a role and why the Fit system recommended such a short stem and why it appears that a size small would indeed not be the right size, so please excuse my ignorance. For all this rambling is probably showing how little I know about tri bike fitting! :-)

To sum it all up....I need help. I really appreciate any input on the size that would be best for me and apologize for the long winded post.

Other Numbers:
Height: 65 inches / 165.1cm
Inseam: Roughly 29 to 30 inches / 73.66 to 76.2cm

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by: MicNichol: May 13, 19 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [MicNichol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I originally posted this in the Speedmax CF owners thread - https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6649465 - but should have posted here in the first place....

Here's the short version.

I recently purchased a size large 2019 Speedmax CF 8.0 SL. I’m trying to get the fit dialed in but having a problem with pad stack.

I currently have the front end in the stock configuration, 25mm spacer under stem and all risers between base bar and pads/extensions. The extensions are sitting at a 20 degree angle. In this configuration I’m measuring pad stack of ~683-685mm. The size large geometry is supposed to have an upper pad stack limit of 714mm. Can anybody think of why this would be the case? I now have 3 calls into Canyon support over the past 1.5 weeks. They continue mentioning they will get back to me but > 1 week for a basic question seems pretty concerning to me. This past weekend I had my bike mechanic double check my measurements to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid, sure enough ~685mm is what he measured.

Does anybody know for 100% certain the geometry numbers on Canyon US website are for the 2019 bike with PD subsonic setup vs the 2018 T4+ setup?

Prior to purchasing the bike I had a professional fit by an ST recommended fitter in my area. I also posted in this exact thread a couple of times confirming sizing. I also confirmed sizing with Canyon via phone. Quite unfortunate to find myself in this situation so hoping someone can point me in the right direction before this bike goes back to Canyon.

Thanks in advance.

-Todd
Last edited by: twheat18: May 13, 19 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [twheat18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twheat18 wrote:
I originally posted this in the Speedmax CF owners thread - https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6649465 - but should have posted here in the first place....

Here's the short version.

I recently purchased a size large 2019 Speedmax CF 8.0 SL. I’m trying to get the fit dialed in but having a problem with pad stack.

I currently have the front end in the stock configuration, 25mm spacer under stem and all risers between base bar and pads/extensions. The extensions are sitting at a 20 degree angle. In this configuration I’m measuring pad stack of ~683-685mm. The size large geometry is supposed to have an upper pad stack limit of 714mm. Can anybody think of why this would be the case? I now have 3 calls into Canyon support over the past 1.5 weeks. They continue mentioning they will get back to me but > 1 week for a basic question seems pretty concerning to me. This past weekend I had my bike mechanic double check my measurements to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid, sure enough ~685mm is what he measured.

Does anybody know for 100% certain the geometry numbers on Canyon US website are for the 2019 bike with PD subsonic setup vs the 2018 T4+ setup?

Prior to purchasing the bike I had a professional fit by an ST recommended fitter in my area. I also posted in this exact thread a couple of times confirming sizing. I also confirmed sizing with Canyon via phone. Quite unfortunate to find myself in this situation so hoping someone can point me in the right direction before this bike goes back to Canyon.

Thanks in advance.

-Todd

After 4 calls and a few emails the verdict is in from Canyon.

The advertised geometry (notably pad stack and reach) of the Speedmax CF is not fully achievable without supplemental parts from Profile Design. This is not unlike the Team Switch Plate parts necessary for the SLX. However the availability of this information is for some reason very hard to come by.

Specifically speaking, in order to achieve the higher end of the pad stack range for a size Large Speedmax CF (685mm - 714mm) one must purchase additional aerobar risers from Profile Design beyond the 50mm of spacers that come with the bike. Supposedly this is noted by the use of an asterisk on the Canyon website (just an asterisk, no further explanation of this asterisk anywhere on the site). Link to the Profile Design parts is https://profile-design.com/...ariant=1808698245146.

So the good news, for me and anybody else that may find themselves in the situation, is that by using the PD spec cockpit I can go purchase additional parts to hit my pad stack number.

While not the end of the world as a first time Canyon customer the lack of transparency about this during pre-purchase phone calls and poor customer service post-purchase have me wondering if I made the right choice. Hopefully this saves somebody else some time in the future (although most of ST is probably much smarter than me and would have known about the PD spacers already).

-Todd
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, I'm about to buy my first TT bike, I have been riding for a while, the yearly main event is the 300 km road bike marathon around the lake Vattern in Sweden. I have a Trek Domane 4.0 2014 size 52 that used for the Ironman 70.3 and that I think has a too long stem (around 90 mm?).
I’m going to join the Kalmar Ironman 140 in August this year and after been looking for second hand bikes for a while without success and after reading some of the articles about value for money entry level bikes in this site I have decided to go for the Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0.
According to their calculator (I have also e-mailed them) I should order a size S.
I have, however a feeling that I may need a smaller size like either the WMN version or a XS. Could you advice?
Some data about me here (in cm),
height 170, inseam 83, Trunk 58-60, shoulder width 38-40, arm length 58, lower arm 32. I have recently lowered the seat height from 73 to 72 cm and increased the stack by turning the stem which has resulted on bigger power efficiency. I'm 50+ old and although I can touch my toes when bending it is difficult to set the hands flat on the ground without straining my back too much.
I have been simulating positions on my racer and I think a reach to arm pad center that would work could be 44-45 cm and the distance arm pad to seat bone position 60 cm but again that's just guessing.
I would appreciate your advice on right size for the Speedmax CF 8.0. Thx in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [JoseP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I’m going to join the Kalmar Ironman 140 in August this year and.... I have decided to go for the Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0.
According to their calculator....I should order a size S.
I have, however a feeling that I may need a smaller size like either the WMN version or a XS. Could you advice?
Some data about me here (in cm): height 170, inseam 83, Trunk 58-60, shoulder width 38-40, arm length 58, lower arm 32. I have recently lowered the seat height from 73 to 72 cm.I have been simulating positions on my racer and I think a reach to arm pad center that would work could be 44-45 cm.
I would appreciate your advice on right size for the Speedmax CF 8.0

JoseP,
You gave me some good data with which to work here. Thank you. You're pretty leggy meaning your height is created with more inseam and less torso that a typical male body, that will work, there's lots of us out here like that in the bike/tri world.

You're guessing your PadX(c) to be 445mm... I bet that's pretty darn close. I also think your PadY is roughly 600. Based on that... I want to recommend the XS. The small would work for the PadY but the shortest that bike will go (PadX to center) is 447 and I worry we're too close to the limit.

With the Canyon Speedmax CF size XS your PadY of 600mm fits nicely into the bike's range: 553-640. The PadX of 447mm also fits nicely into the middle of the XS range: 430-455.

As a side note - the Men's XS and the WMN XS are identical in terms of PadY & PadX so that frees you up to purchase based on availability and color if you wish.

Go get 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [twheat18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Todd,

I'm so sorry that this has been such a trial for you. I know you wanted to make that Profile Aeria Ultimate front end work and you were so patient through all the steps. Be sure that you know more about this bike than most, and I thank you for your info sharing.

I hope you crush on this machine!

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Todd,

I'm so sorry that this has been such a trial for you. I know you wanted to make that Profile Aeria Ultimate front end work and you were so patient through all the steps. Be sure that you know more about this bike than most, and I thank you for your info sharing.

I hope you crush on this machine!

Ian

Thanks Ian. My new spacers just came in so I think I’ll be all set now. I appreciate all of your help.

-Todd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need some guidance regarding SpeedMax sizing.
I am 5'3 (160cm) riding a Quintana Roo CD0.1 which has Stack=497mm, Reach=396mm. To compensate for my small body size, my fitter added in extra 65mm of spacers
I compared to Speedmax XS frame, which has Stack of 481mm, so to retain the same stack value as advised by fitter, I would need to have a spacer height of 81mm which I think is too high. Any owners here that have high spacers added and/or of similar height?
Also, how much of an upgrade from my current bike to the Speedmax (not the SLX version)? If the gain is very marginal, then probably that is worth considering more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx Ian! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [MicNichol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not clear from your fit data where the Pad X is measured to. If it is to the centre, that gives a pad X to rear of 394 (assuming the bars used in the fit had the correct Bontrager pads).
Below is a fit chart for the Speedmax measured to the rear of the pad. The number in brackets is the pad spacer required. Each size fit range based on using stock stem.
On the XS you would drop out the big spacer (so the top of the stem wouldn't match the top of the bento, though I heard rumours of a lower stack bento) and just stick in a 5mm spacer
the PD pads move in 7.5mm increments of X so you could hit 395,555

If your padx in the fit report is to the rear, you're probably better to look for a different bike (like a Fuji Norcom Straight) that is longer reach.

Last edited by: cyclenutnz: May 26, 19 3:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx Ian!
By the way, I had a closer look at the XS, acc to the size chart the seat tube max height is 72.9, having lowered my seat height on my racer from 73 to 72 quite recently, isn't it close to the limit?
I suppose I would need to do some adjustments as this is my first TT bike and I'm afraid on not having enough space for adjustments.
Thx in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

I managed to find a fit studio in Amsterdam and did the smart thing to go in and fit prior to buying. The saddle height I came in at was 743, so while I was in range of both the S and M frame, we ended up going with the S. Reach at 454 and stack 652, with some room to go down 1-2 cm, and also at some point will look at a 165 crank arm when I have spare money laying around

Appreciate the input!

Immer

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [JoseP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had a closer look at the XS, acc to the size chart the seat tube max height is 72.9, having lowered my seat height on my racer from 73 to 72 quite recently, isn't it close to the limit?

JoseP,

There's some confusion on what we are reading on the geometry chart of that bike - and if I'm wrong I absolutely want to know. The range of seat height is 670 to 790mm. That's published on their site and in my notes from the engineers. You're currently sitting very near 725mm - no worries on hitting your precise saddle height on the XS.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I managed to find a fit studio in Amsterdam and did the smart thing to go in and fit prior to buying. The saddle height I came in at was 743, so while I was in range of both the S and M frame, we ended up going with the S. Reach at 454 and stack 652, with some room to go down 1-2 cm, and also at some point will look at a 165 crank arm when I have spare money laying around

Appreciate the input!

ChasingPB,

GREAT NEWS!!! Post pics when you're ready, I'm eager to see.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Wing,

I got your fit report. As you said, you'd like to duplicate the position on the existing bike on a new Canyon Speedmax. Normally I'd just rip the Pad Y & Pad X off the report and give you a prescription. The report lists your Pad Y as 650 and your Pad X as 350 (it says 300 to back of pad, some bikes measure to the center of the pad and Canyon is one of them so I amended to a spot that's pretty close to center: 350)

That would be tough to replicate on the Speedmax SLX - the medium maxes out at 650 in Pad Y - I'm not too freaked about about that because I absolutely believe you can and should ride lower especially after moving to 165 cranks (good call, by the way). But your Pad X of 350 is such a small number that I doubted it for a bit and started to dig deeper: the nose of your saddle sits 12mm behind the BB and nose to back of pad is 335. If I subtract 12 from 335 I get 323 and then if I add 50mm to get to center of pad that's 373. There's some "noise" in that equation but it doesn't matter because shortest the SLX medium goes is 448. If we go down to a size small in the SLX then we loose the PadY and still don't get the Pad X - the SLX is a long and low bike and you need a shorter and taller bike- it's as simple as that. So.....

The Canyon Speedmax CF in a size XS is the option. You'd remove the stem that comes on it (70mm /-17deg) and put on a 50mm stem in -6 pitch (your bike and this bike have the exact same frame reach and this is the same length stem you're using now). It would be almost perfect.

HOWEVER...if you walked into my studio I would guide you into riding more onto the nose of that ISM saddle so that your hips were a bit more forward on the bike. By moving to that place you'd be far more comfortable with your arm pads a bit lower and a bit farther away. I'd also 'til your aerobars up a bit (maybe 8deg) so you can lean into them more. I'm certain you'd be more comfortable if not the same (always priority one), you'd be more powerful and you'd be out of the wind a bit more. That new position still works on the CF size XS and the only change would be fewer spacers under the aerobars and arm pads moved out a few bolt holes.

Get back to me if you have questions, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, thx,
I was looking at the Canyon Swedish site here:
https://www.canyon.com/...e=BK#!accordions=1_1

Seat height A according to that link is 599 -729.

The same in the German site
https://www.canyon.com/...geometry-section-tab

I assume it is a typo.

Kind regards,
José
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian. This is Wing btw.

So let's just focus on the non-SLX model. My current bike has a stack of 497mm and additional 65mm spacers which gives a total of 562mm, while the Canyon CF has a stack of 481mm so to match the same height, we'll need 81mm of spacers?

Or are we just talking about the pad height (Pad-Y) and just leave the basebar to its original spot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoseP,

Hold tight. I've reached out to an engineer at Canyon in Germany. Will have an answer soon.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [skyjuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
My current bike has a stack of 497mm and additional 65mm spacers which gives a total of 562mm, while the Canyon CF has a stack of 481mm so to match the same height, we'll need 81mm of spacers?

Wing,
We can't just look at spacers under the stem because the arm pads sit at different heights above the base bar.
It gets confusing when we try to calculate from Frame Stack and Frame Reach to Pad Y and Pad X. Since we know your Pad Y and Pad X off the fit sheet we should just stay with those numbers and compare apples-to-apples.
Your current bike has a Pad Y of 650 and a Pad X of 350.
Speedmax CF in XS has Pad Y of 640 (max) and a Pad X 430 (min).

The Pad Y is an easy match.....you need (650) and that can be achieved by changing the stock -17deg stem to a -6 degree stem. At this length you gain 9mm so that puts you almost exactly at 650. And this is with the maximum spacers under both the stem and the aerobars.

The Pad X is tougher to nail.....you need (350) and this gets closest by changing the stock 70mm stem to a 50mm stem. You'll pull the Pad X back to 390 and then slide the extensions back just a hair. Your elbows will hang off the back of the pad a bit and if that's okay your good to go. If this doesn't work for you then remove the stock aerobars (Profile-Design 35aSubsonic) and switch to something like a Sonic Ergo or the Legacy or a similar aerobar (like the one on your current bike) that allows the arm pads to sneak back over the base bar so they can be even nearer to you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I may be out of luck, but:

Stack 50.8
Reach 38.0

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly off topic, but I thought I would get your opinion.
How difficult is it to fit someone on a Canyon Aeroroad with its integrated cockpit? I am looking at the CF SL 8.0.
Can one usually play with seat height- for/aft to get a reasonable road fit?
Or is it just a maybe?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [CajunCannon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CajunCannon,
It's important we are in agreement on our terms and numbers other wise....you remember what happened to that Mars rover that crashed into the surface of the Red Planet 'cuz some of the scientists were using inches and some were using cm.

Stack and Reach are measurements to the top of a head tube and useful/mandatory on a mortal bike (one with a normal stem).
Pad Stack and Pad Reach (I prefer Pad Y and Pad X to reduce confusion) are used to measure prescribe a triathlon super bike (one with an proprietary stem or stems if we're lucky).
--and--
I'd like Pad X to the center of the pad but can get really close if all you have is the measurement to the rear.

If you've had a fit I'd gladly look over the report to help guide this process
If you want to be fit I can help recommend someone who can prescribe a tri bike
If you have a current tri bike and you love the position I can explain a way to measure that PadY/X at home
If none of the above are an option then I want to know your overall height and seat height and I can calculate
If none of the above are an option then simply go to the Canyon site and use their PPS

But I want to be involved if I can. Let me know what you mean by 508mm and 380mm

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: May 29, 19 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Slightly off topic, but I thought I would get your opinion.
How difficult is it to fit someone on a Canyon Aeroroad with its integrated cockpit? I am looking at the CF SL 8.0.
Can one usually play with seat height- for/aft to get a reasonable road fit?
Or is it just a maybe?

Karl,

Short answer is yes - reasonable road fit and be obtained.

I've been selling a ton of Canyon road bikes out of my fit studio and in a rather happenstance sort of way. A athlete comes and says "I want a new road bike with disc brakes and electronic shifting". We do the whole prescriptive fit process on the dynamic fit bike and then we sidle up to the computer and I ask "what bike brands do you like?". We start the process and this common bike that fits is $7k USD, that common brand that fits is $8k USD. After we have 3 or 4 listed I say "I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this Canyon that fits, is disc broke (braked?), Ui2 and it's $4k USD". This is the fundamental promise of direct sales from Canyon - they're great bikes and they're a LOT less expensive.

Seat height on an Aeroroad is just like any other bike - low, high, go nuts - it's 350mm long. The "clamp" is hidden and as long as you pay attention to torque specs you're golden.

Seat fore-aft is good as the clamp set back on the post is modest and you've got some rail slide to get you where you need to be. As a fitter I always want a 27.2mm road post hole so I can have the widest ranges of options but if that were the case than this bike would be ever so less sexy and we're all for sexy so we'll stay with....wait for it.....Trident (that's the name they give that post).

The Cockpit...now that's a real thing to discuss. The integrated, one piece stem/bar thing is referred to as the H36 Bar. It is a work of art and those who lean towards the aesthetic will want to keep it no matter what. Sizes 2XS, XS and S come with a 90mm "stem", the M and L come with a 100mm "stem", the XL comes with a 110, and the 2XL comes with a 120mm. I put stem in quotation marks because there is some evidence that they measure it a bit differently than most would: center of steerer to the trailing edge of the bar not the center of the bar - and I'm not sure of the bar reach. So there's some complexity there. I don't lean towards the aesthetic, I have a straight up fit bias. To that end we have the ability to buy a different H36 bar if we don't like the one that comes on it (90% of the time folks want a shorter one). Also, we can remove the H36 bar and put on a mortal stem but the steer tube is 1 & 1/4 not the common 1 1/8th so we are limited to ~4 manufacturers (Giant, Ritchey, Zipp and prolly one other). Andrew Talansky rides a Canyon Rd bike - can't remember which one - and he runs a Zipp that's the length is loves, the angle he needs and with a bar curve he insists upon.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be pad stack and reach. They are 50.8cm and 38cm, respectively.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [CajunCannon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
pad stack and reach. They are 50.8cm and 38cm, respectively.

CajunCannon,

Seventeen pages of this thread and I think this is the first time I can flat our say, that with the pretty extreme PadY/X you've given me, neither the Speedmax SLX or CF will fit you. I'm uncomfortable with this answer. I would feel completely remiss leaving it at that so let me expand with this.... If I were your fitter and you simply had to be on a Canyon, I'd plan a strategy around an Canyon Ultimate wmn CF SL 8.0 with disc brakes and Ui2 for a mere $3,699 usd. I like that one not only for what I predict would be appropriate sizing in this case but the post is zero off set - adding some "off the nose" saddle like a Cobb 55 or an ISM and I think we'd be in the neighborhood of a setback/seat angle we'd need. We'd likely come up with a negative degree stem (-23 if the math were right) and set of aerobars that have a low pad stack to get the Pad Y loooowwwww . I'm not saying that's your case I'm just trying to speculate how I'd proceed under a hypothetical that will let me sleep a little better tonight knowing I didn't just leave it at a "nope".

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next