Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for what you've done on this thread - there's so much useful advice and test cases to look back on and compare to. It's really great to see a community working in this way, so thanks for all your passion and support for this.

I wonder if you could help me with an interesting scenario. I've taken ownership of a 2020 Speedmax CF 8.0 (rim brake version) from a friend who unfortunately injured themselves before they could get the most out of this fantastic bike. The frame size is a medium and it is currently in it's stock/factory setup with no changes at all. According to Canyon's size guidelines, I'm right up at the upper limit of what could be squeezed onto this frame size (the medium frame is potentially too small for me) but I'm wondering what I could do to make it work?

I unfortunately don't have my pad X/Y measurements as I've not yet been fitted to a tri bike (I do however have a fit booked for next week). I'm really interested in your opinion regardless, so here are my numbers and I hope you can help:

Height: 184cm
Inseam: 89cm
Saddle height on my road bike is at 80cm (which I ride a 56cm frame).

Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks in advance and looking forward to your response!

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mikele5lie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for what you've done on this thread - there's so much useful advice and test cases to look back on and compare to. It's really great to see a community working in this way, so thanks for all your passion and support for this.

I wonder if you could help me with an interesting scenario. I've taken ownership of a 2020 Speedmax CF 8.0 (rim brake version) from a friend who unfortunately injured themselves before they could get the most out of this fantastic bike. The frame size is a medium and it is currently in it's stock/factory setup with no changes at all. According to Canyon's size guidelines, I'm right up at the upper limit of what could be squeezed onto this frame size (the medium frame is potentially too small for me) but I'm wondering what I could do to make it work?

I unfortunately don't have my pad X/Y measurements as I've not yet been fitted to a tri bike (I do however have a fit booked for next week). I'm really interested in your opinion regardless, so here are my numbers and I hope you can help:

Height: 184cm
Inseam: 89cm
Saddle height on my road bike is at 80cm (which I ride a 56cm frame).

Michael,
Thanks for your kind words. I really enjoy this thread/forum/community/sport and feel honored to be involved.

You're pretty leggy for your height and that might help the situation here. I'm gonna guess that (barring any oddities/injuries) your Pad Y is roughly 650 and your Pad X is in the neighborhood of 460(back of pad). The Pad Y is not an issue on this bike - the medium can go up to 672. You can control the increment of pad height via two things: 1) the spacer under the stem. It's nice to have anyway as the top of the stem can then be flush with the top of the top-tube storage box and that's a nice look. 2) the aerobar pedestal. The bars are Profile design and they offer spacers in 5, 10, 20mm and the appropriate bolts to acheive lots of lift. The Pad X on the medium maxes out at 450 but the stock stem is a an 80mm. Canyon makes a 90 and the steer tube on that bike is 1 1/8 inch, the base bar is 31.8 - all those numbers are standard so any stem could possibly work. Also, I have 2 90mm Canyon V21 stems in my fit studio DM if you want to purchase one of 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

Thanks for your response - this is really helpful. I had a dynamic (and very comprehensive) fit yesterday actually and I've posted the outcomes of my case below, for interest, or in case you'd like to use it as validation for your calculations. Spoiler: your calcs/algorithms are very close to the real life fit results, which is really impressive! I think the small discrepancy between your estimates and the fit results could be attributed to a tight right hip which struggles a bit as we lowered the Pad Y (and closed the hip angle in pursuit of a few more aero gains). So my pad Y is elevated slightly to account of that.

Fit results:
Pad X: 450 (centre of the pad)
Pad Y: 665
Seat height: 80cm

We also opted for 170mm cranks, rather than the 175mm stock cranks that come with the medium CF 8.0 option. This made a step change in saddle comfort for me.

All in all, a super interesting experience and I'm looking forward to settling-in to the new position. Thanks again for your assistance!

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [mikele5lie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you try 155mm or 160mm cranks during your fit session?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,

Thanks for your response - this is really helpful. I had a dynamic (and very comprehensive) fit yesterday actually and I've posted the outcomes of my case below, for interest, or in case you'd like to use it as validation for your calculations. Spoiler: your calcs/algorithms are very close to the real life fit results, which is really impressive! I think the small discrepancy between your estimates and the fit results could be attributed to a tight right hip which struggles a bit as we lowered the Pad Y (and closed the hip angle in pursuit of a few more aero gains). So my pad Y is elevated slightly to account of that.

Fit results:
Pad X: 450 (centre of the pad)
Pad Y: 665
Seat height: 80cm

We also opted for 170mm cranks, rather than the 175mm stock cranks that come with the medium CF 8.0 option. This made a step change in saddle comfort for me.

All in all, a super interesting experience and I'm looking forward to settling-in to the new position. Thanks again for your assistance!

Michael,
Thanks so much for coming back after your fit with numbers. It helps me know I'm in the ball-park. My guess of Pad X was 460 to the rear of the pad and you came away with 450 to center - so close that my prescription of a 90mm stem still holds, that's nice. And I had your Pad Y near to 650 and you come away with 665. I'll take that. 175mm cranks on any tri bike is just stright up wrong in my book and on a Medium I would love it if it came spec'd with 160s but for you a 165 might work. As that crank gets shorter it'll free up your hip and you will, very likelly, ride lower. If you're going to acquire new cranks for this bike (and be certain to do that) then get 165s maxium. You can still use all your fit coordinates - just raise you saddle height to 810mm and that'll be perfect. you can very likely leave the set-back as is. Then you can just tweak the arm pad elevation to perfect.

Excited for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

My inseam is 85cm, on my current 2015 BMC Timemachine FS02 58cm I have a pad Y of 65cm and a pad X of 57cm (BB to tri pads). I measure 183cm. I am interested in the Speedmax CF SLX (whenever it becomes available again :-))

Thanks!

Fabien
Last edited by: Fabien78: Jun 11, 22 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Id really be appreciative if you could offer some advice for fit as follows for a SLX 8

Height 186cms
Inseam 88 cm
Forearm 37 cm

suggestions says Im either medium or large. So would large be fine and with the stock cockpit? Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

So glad I found this thread as i have been struggling to find my right fit on my 2019 Speedmax CF 8 size L . I got a fit by someone like you at IM Barcelona in 2019 and it felt great but after i sent my bike home it just does not feel right. My shoulders and Neck get super tense and tired whenever I am on the aero position and I find the bike difficult to steer.

Current numbers:

Height: 192cm
Inseam: 89 cm
Pad Y: 695
PAd X: 553
Seat Height is 800 mm

The Funny thing is I have a GURU Bike ( yes i know - its old!) that has close to same measurements and it feels amazing. Any Advise or idea you might have on what to try would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks !

Rafael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
already posted in the classified section but was wondering if you can help me out?
I'm looking for the H35 basebar Rise for use with Canyon Speedmax CF SLX bicycles, model year 2018 or older, this is a Speedmax cockpit designed for use with dual-tower cockpit accessories.
Any chance you have one for sale or know how to get a hold of one?
Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Fabien78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

My inseam is 85cm, on my current 2015 BMC Timemachine FS02 58cm I have a pad Y of 65cm and a pad X of 57cm (BB to tri pads). I measure 183cm. I am interested in the Speedmax CF SLX (whenever it becomes available again :-))

Thanks!

Fabien,
That Pad X of yours (570mm) is very long, makes me think that maybe it's measured to the middle of the pad??? I would expect you to have a Pad X nearer to 490. Can you confirm that number for me?

The longest the size large Canyon Speedmax SLX goes is 505 and that's with the long stem and pads out 100%. The longest the XL goes is 528. Your Pad Y will work on both those sizes. If it helps you can double check your BMC by measuring with this technique

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Id really be appreciative if you could offer some advice for fit as follows for a SLX 8

Height 186cms
Inseam 88 cm
Forearm 37 cm

suggestions says Im either medium or large. So would large be fine and with the stock cockpit? Cheers

lastlap,
Thanks for posting here...
Based on your morphology I think your Pad Y should be near to 665mm and your Pad X should be around 480mm. The Canyon Speedmax SLX size Large is a better fit for you. In the US that bike comes stock with the short stem and the Large with the short stem and pads forward 90-100% will very likely work for you. The Pad Y of 665 is near the middle of the range so you'll have plenty of room to go up or down to find perfection. For the Medium to work you'd need the long stem and you'd have to push the pads way out and while that still meets your coordinates it's in someting of an extreme corner of the fit abilities.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [rafdlv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

So glad I found this thread as i have been struggling to find my right fit on my 2019 Speedmax CF 8 size L . I got a fit by someone like you at IM Barcelona in 2019 and it felt great but after i sent my bike home it just does not feel right. My shoulders and Neck get super tense and tired whenever I am on the aero position and I find the bike difficult to steer.

Current numbers:
Height: 192cm
Inseam: 89 cm
Pad Y: 695
PAd X: 553
Seat Height is 800 mm

The Funny thing is I have a GURU Bike ( yes i know - its old!) that has close to same measurements and it feels amazing. Any Advise or idea you might have on what to try would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks !

Rafael,
You're numbers seem logical to me. The goal is get the bike back to where it felt great before it got broken down, shipped home, and rebuilt. I don't know if the Pad Y/X numbers you've given are from the fit (and therefore - the position when it was good) or from your current set up (and therefore - the position when neck and shoulders get tense/tired). If those numbers are where the bike is supposed to be then you need to measure it and see if that's where it is. My first thought here is that something got moved when the bike got rebuilt after travel.

Use this video to measure the current set up and get back to me to confirm the position..

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Ian, indeed I got those numbers completely wrong, thank you for the video. After following the video, here are the new numbers!

Height = 183cm
Inseam = 85cm
Seat height = 79cm
Pax Y = 71cm
Pad X = 44cm

I put a recent picture so you can see how I fit.

Thanks!

Fabien

ianpeace wrote:
Hi Ian,

Thanks!

Fabien,
That Pad X of yours (570mm) is very long, makes me think that maybe it's measured to the middle of the pad??? I would expect you to have a Pad X nearer to 490. Can you confirm that number for me?

The longest the size large Canyon Speedmax SLX goes is 505 and that's with the long stem and pads out 100%. The longest the XL goes is 528. Your Pad Y will work on both those sizes. If it helps you can double check your BMC by measuring with this technique

Let me know, Ian
Last edited by: Fabien78: Jun 23, 22 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian, you are a ledgend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, not a fitting question, but you are the Canyon expert in this forum.

I have a Canyon Speedmax Disc, CF SLX. I am in the market for a bike bag, but I've bought the wrong bag for my bike before, especially when it comes to fixed cockpits/aerobars.

The official bag in the EU site cannot be shipped tp the US. Any ideas of a bike bag brand that works for this model?

Thank you so much in advance!

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, not a fitting question, but you are the Canyon expert in this forum.

I have a Canyon Speedmax Disc, CF SLX. I am in the market for a bike bag, but I've bought the wrong bag for my bike before, especially when it comes to fixed cockpits/aerobars.

The official bag in the EU site cannot be shipped tp the US. Any ideas of a bike bag brand that works for this model?

Thank you so much in advance!

Juan,
This is a much debated topic.... and so many aspects to it: soft case vs hard case, weight vs protection, etc. etc. I think the deciding factor for so man superbikes that require intensive frontend dismantle is... what box will let the whole handelbar assebly remain untouched. To that end my favorite is Bike Box Alan https://bikeboxalan.com/gallery/?v=7516fd43adaa

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

I'm interested in the CF SLX 8 Disc Di2. I currently have a 2017 Cervelo p2. I'm not sure the bike fit is great and will be looking to improve fit with the bike upgrade. Here are the current dimensions:

Height: 178 cm
Inseam: 81 cm
Pad X: 49 cm
Pad Y: 60 cm
Seat Height: 72 cm

I want to verify that a small is the best size, not a medium

Much appreciate it!

David
Last edited by: blackdp: Jul 28, 22 4:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot, Ian! I'll check it out.

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I just wondered if you may be able to help with some advice?

I currently ride a canyon ultimate in an XS and love the bike. I am looking to purchase a Canyon Speedmax and just wanted a bit of advice on sizing. Once I have the bike I will look to have a fit as I feel that’s the best way to start off with a TT bike. I am around 5 foot 5 inches tall with an inseam of 29.5inches (top of inside leg to floor). I am afraid I don’t have any other details but would be more than happy to get anything you need.

I am potentially looking at a used bike as it’s my first TT and have noticed that there are quite a few womens versions available at a good price. It looks like the geometry is the same, is this true?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

I am curious and considering *maybe* a Canyon Speedmax CFR Disc eTap. I am currently quite well dialed in on a Cervelo P5d size 54 (Fit by John Cobb, approved by slowman)

Seat height 738 mm
Stack 640
reach 470 (425 to back of pads)
Cranks 170

I would appreciate your thoughts on any/all of the above.

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Not sure if your are still active here but was really hoping to get your fit assistance with a new CFR etap disc. Currently ride a p5x large. I’ve been fitted but adjustments over time have been made here and there. Based on the website it looks like I’d fall into medium or large.

I think I did the measurement right following on the video but please let me know if they look way out of normal.

X: 450
Y:620
Seat: 765
Height: 189cm
Inner leg measurement (instructions on the website): 86cm
Long torso

Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by: PB252: Jul 27, 22 14:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
It's been a while but I'm still looking at that Speedmax and actually have the money now, the CF 8 disc mechanical ultegra. I've done a bit more time on my current TT bike and I think the fit is pretty good, a lot lower than the Shiv but still comfortable and I've managed to get some closer measurements.

Edit: I just watched your video on how to do the measurements, so I've re-done it.

My height - 182cm
My inseam - 90cm
Stack - 670mm
Reach - 390mm
Saddle height - 805mm (I measured at the same angle as the seat tube, however, I think I sit a fair bit forward of that point. My current bike has 170mm cranks.)

The canyon site recommends size M, and my measurements do fit(Edit: well they did when I measured to the centre of the pads, but not measuring to the back). However, I'm conscious that the speedmax has a significantly steeper seat tube angle(80.5 vs 75 on my current bike), which will bring the saddle further forward, especially given I have it quite high.

My other thought is that with the medium the saddle will be closer to the top and I'll need a lot of spacers for the pads. I could potentially swap the 90mm stem out for the 80mm or 70mm to shorten the reach(I was told I could do that when I talked to a canyon rep when I was previously looking at this so I assumed it's the same).

I do currently have similar profile design pads on my current bike and have tilted them back which does shorten the reach a fair bit(see photo)

I don't have a problem with the tall spacers if the medium is the way to go, I'd just appreciate your thoughts.

Edit: After re-doing the measurements as instructed in your video, it's now looking like the Medium is my only choice and I may need to swap the stem out.

Last edited by: JayTeeHaitch: Aug 7, 22 3:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

I would love some help. Looking to purchase a new CFR when stock becomes available. Canyon's website rec's a Medium but I'm right at the point that it would change to a Large. This will be my first Tri/TT bike, So I have no clue what my Pad X/Y measurements are. Use will be for Ultra distance racing(think 24hr TT's and 500ish mile road races). Here are what I do have:

Height 185cm
Inseam 91cm
saddle height on my road bike 81cm with 175mm cranks.

Happy to provide any other info needed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Looking at the new Speedmax CF SLX.
I find I am between sizes based on the chart. My measurements:

Saddle height - 72.4cm
Pad reach to -back- of pads - 45cm
Pad stack to top of pads - 64.5cm

If I look at a size medium, it looks like I am just barely making the minimum saddle height, but the pad/stack would prob work well.
Looking at a small, it looks like I can't get the reach I need, maxes out at 44.5 to back of pads I think...

Thx for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) e [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Realize this may not be the right place for this but is there any documentation around tightening the headset of the new cf not the CFR version? Mine came with a little bit of up and down play in the headset and am trying to tighten it. I contacted customer support and all they said was to take it to a bike shop. Problem is I don't have a car rack and am pretty good with bikes anyways. Just want to make sure I would be doing it right and not over tighten anything.
Quote Reply

Prev Next