Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim, it was his first post. May I ask you to cut him some slack and welcome him into the ST family?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Takhir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Takhir,
I'm glad you wrote back. I want you to be confident that you're acting with the best information.

Let me take the easy one first - "what is the benefit of the rise bar". The rise bar is needed when an athlete requires a great deal of pedestal under their aerobars. The rise bar elevates the brake levers so they are up higher, closer to that elevated aero position. Then, when an athlete needs to move from the aero position to the pursuit position they don't have as far to go. I didn't recommend this to you because I believe you'll only need the mid pedestal and then the pursuit position is already very near to the aero position making the rise bar unnecessary. By the way, not everyone with huge pedestal likes a high base bar - it's personal preference but I like to spec' it for safety when there's a lot of pedestal. Also, the 2018 and 2019 rim brake Speedmax also offered a rise bar - but again, it wasn't stock on the bike so few folks opted to purchase that.

Now, about short stem vs. long stem issue. Here in the USA Canyon sells each Speedmax with "stock" components and one of those is the short/flat cockpit. Even when an athlete already knows they need a long cockpit they still have to receive the bike with the stock bits and buy anything else they might need afterword. The max Pad X on a Medium Speedmax SLX with the short stem is ~465mm. I guessed your Pad X at 475. This measurement is to the back of the pad. Here are the things I'm unsure of:
1) Is your Pad X really 475? Maybe it's a bit longer or shorter than that, we don't know.
2) Do you like your elbows off the back of the pad or in the middle of the pad or somewhere in between. That can mean the difference of up to 40mm or more and we'd like to know that.
3) Does Canyon Europe allow a customer to order changes to their bike before it's shipped? I don't know. I need to know this and I will ask - but you'd probably get an answer faster by calling customer service. Please get back to me here on that so we can compare notes.

If you can get the bike built up as you like it - then get the long stem. If not - see if the short stem works for you because you're very close to the short stem with pads pushed out 100%.

Ian

Hi Ian!

Thank you for your quick and detailed responses. Now, the Canyon customization webpage is in front of me and I will list everything they suggest to chose in Europe, for free, when you buy a bike:

1. Stem size 65 mm (they call it short) / 85 mm (long)
2. Flat or rise bar (0 mm / 40 mm)
3. Aerobar short (305-365 mm) / medium (325-405 mm) / large (360-440 mm)
4. Cassette (SRAM / Shimano)
5. Cassette options (10-28T / 10-33T)

What would be your recommendation then as there is no additional costs when you chose one vs another?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Takhir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Takhir,
I'm glad you wrote back. I want you to be confident that you're acting with the best information.

Let me take the easy one first - "what is the benefit of the rise bar". The rise bar is needed when an athlete requires a great deal of pedestal under their aerobars. The rise bar elevates the brake levers so they are up higher, closer to that elevated aero position. Then, when an athlete needs to move from the aero position to the pursuit position they don't have as far to go. I didn't recommend this to you because I believe you'll only need the mid pedestal and then the pursuit position is already very near to the aero position making the rise bar unnecessary. By the way, not everyone with huge pedestal likes a high base bar - it's personal preference but I like to spec' it for safety when there's a lot of pedestal. Also, the 2018 and 2019 rim brake Speedmax also offered a rise bar - but again, it wasn't stock on the bike so few folks opted to purchase that.

Now, about short stem vs. long stem issue. Here in the USA Canyon sells each Speedmax with "stock" components and one of those is the short/flat cockpit. Even when an athlete already knows they need a long cockpit they still have to receive the bike with the stock bits and buy anything else they might need afterword. The max Pad X on a Medium Speedmax SLX with the short stem is ~465mm. I guessed your Pad X at 475. This measurement is to the back of the pad. Here are the things I'm unsure of:
1) Is your Pad X really 475? Maybe it's a bit longer or shorter than that, we don't know.
2) Do you like your elbows off the back of the pad or in the middle of the pad or somewhere in between. That can mean the difference of up to 40mm or more and we'd like to know that.
3) Does Canyon Europe allow a customer to order changes to their bike before it's shipped? I don't know. I need to know this and I will ask - but you'd probably get an answer faster by calling customer service. Please get back to me here on that so we can compare notes.

If you can get the bike built up as you like it - then get the long stem. If not - see if the short stem works for you because you're very close to the short stem with pads pushed out 100%.

Ian

Hi Ian!

Thank you for your quick and detailed responses. Now, the Canyon customization webpage is in front of me and I will list everything they suggest to chose in Europe, for free, when you buy a bike:

1. Stem size 65 mm (they call it short) / 85 mm (long)
2. Flat or rise bar (0 mm / 40 mm)
3. Aerobar short (305-365 mm) / medium (325-405 mm) / large (360-440 mm)
4. Cassette (SRAM / Shimano)
5. Cassette options (10-28T / 10-33T)

What would be your recommendation then as there is no additional costs when you chose one vs another?

Takhir,

Thanks for the repost, sorry I missed the first one. Here's what I recommend as a fitter:
  • SLX size Medium
  • Long stem
  • Flat bar
  • Medium Aerobar

Here's my opinion on the last two, and this comes from more of my perspective as a coach and lifelong cyclist and guy who devours a lot of bike related info...
  • If you choose SRAM I think you will have access to wider gear options - 12 speed, smaller chain rings, an easier - easy gear. Also, there's something positive to be said about AXS being wireless. The ability to carry one little back up battery tucked away in your bag somewhere could be seen as a benefit.
  • If you choose Shimano you'll have longer battery life (cause the single batter is bigger). The gearing is probably totally applicable to the courses this bike is built for (ie flatish). I'd go 52x36 in rings.

This is VERY much an opinion choice. Some folks just like one brand more than the other. It's a hard argument to make as to which is a better choice. I can't see you going wrong with either.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am looking at purchasing the speedmax cf slx 8 or sl rim brake, unsure which size should I get
measurements as below
pad x : 470mm (BB to middle of pad)
pad y : 670mm (BB to middle of pad)
inseam 820mm, current saddle height is 750mm
Height 1.8m

Thanks in advance
Last edited by: yangster88: May 8, 21 22:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Jim, it was his first post. May I ask you to cut him some slack and welcome him into the ST family?

The sticky "things to know about this forum" thread should add an eighth item for newcomers: hide Jim's posts
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [yangster88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi,
I am looking at purchasing the speedmax cf slx 8 or sl rim brake, unsure which size should I get
measurements as below
pad x : 470mm (BB to middle of pad)
pad y : 670mm (BB to middle of pad)
inseam 820mm, current saddle height is 750mm
Height 1.8m

yangster88,
For an SLX rim brake you'd be a Large for sure. You'd need the short stem which came stock on that bike and then you'd need to get a hold of an after-market item called a TSP (Team Switch Plate). This will let you pull the pads back an extra bit to get the Pad X of 470 that you require.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will the seat post minimum fit my saddle height? How about the cf sl rim version?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [yangster88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Will the seat post minimum fit my saddle height? How about the cf sl rim version?

Yangster88,
Yes, I'm sorry the max seat height on the size Large (of the rim brake SLX) is 761. It's too high for your 750. This bike is VERY long and low and the medium - which will work with the seat height - won't make it to your Pad Y.

The 2019 rim brake CF.... on the other hand.... is a good bet and I want to give you a couple of options as this bike is getting harder and harder to find. You could do a Medium with all the existing stock bits on it or or a Large and you pull off the 90mm stem and swap to an 80mm stem.

Now I need to inquire about something. If you just came to me here and said "I'm 1800mm tall and my seat height is 750". My assumption would be a Pad Y of around 640 and a Pad X of about 480. You're riding a bit higher. So I get to worrying about the fit - specifically the things that might cause someone to ride higher and a hair shorter than what is common for someone with that overall height and seat height: the type of saddle you're on, where you're sitting on that saddle, where that saddle is in relation to the bottom bracket. Those three things all speak to the same issue; where are your hips in relation to the bottom bracket: are the well back behind the BB....could they be more forward towards the BB? Then I worry about crank length; if the cranks are long this might keep you from getting to a Pad Y that is more comfortable (always priority 1), perhaps more powerful, and probably out of the wind a bit more. Now it could be more about your morphology or injury history, or something else.

If you pulled these numbers off an existing setup I'd like to know details of that bike. If this is from a bike fit I'd like to know about that too: saddle type, where you're sitting on that saddle, crank length.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi, i just bought a Speedmax CF 9.0 2015 model size medium for TT competitions. I allready have a Shiv Tri size large with This setup:

Arm pad reach (back of pad): 466mm
Arm Pad stack: 673mm

Is This setup possible on the medium Canyon? I have have the integrated and flat (no riser) stem/handlebar.

Do Canyon still sell spacers/bolts for this model? Last owner has stripped the bolts fastening the armpads/clamp for aerobars....

I am very grateful if someone Can help :)

BenjiChr,
Great post! Challenging for me!!

Canyon didn't open for business in the USA 'til 2017 and that's when my focus was put on them. The 2017-2018 Speedmax CF in size Medium did have a max Pad Y of 672 - only 1mm off your 673. And a max Pad X of 442 (to rear of pad) - which is a good bit shorter than your goal of 466. BUT all of that was with a Profile Design clip on aerobar. I look up some pictures of a 2015 and I'm not at all famaliar with that stem/bar setup. I'd call Canyon home office in Koblenz and see if they have parts and the original Pad Y/Pad X range numbers for that bike - one last tip, back in those days Canyon measured their Pad X to the middle of the pad (no longer the case) so if they give you a Pad X number subtract ~45mm from that to get the Pad X rear number.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Ian

Thank you for your time and response Ian!

I have Done some measuring on the bike now, and seems that it will fit pretty Good! ☺️
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help. Just pulled the trigger on the cf sl rim version in M, they had stock on the wmn version(pink).

Regarding the questions, I have been through 3 different bike fitter and all had the same conclusion for me. The measurements came from my current bike, a cervelo np3 in 56cm. Swapped to 165mm cranks, 70mm stem with seatpost almost slammed, and quite an amount of spacer upfront, i think about 35mm. My seating position is quite neutral, am on ism pn2.1 and saddle position is mounted in the middle of the seatpost.

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your saddle setback?

Where do you sit on the saddle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for the help. Just pulled the trigger on the cf sl rim version in M, they had stock on the wmn version(pink).

Regarding the questions, I have been through 3 different bike fitter and all had the same conclusion for me. The measurements came from my current bike, a cervelo np3 in 56cm. Swapped to 165mm cranks, 70mm stem with seatpost almost slammed, and quite an amount of spacer upfront, i think about 35mm. My seating position is quite neutral, am on ism pn2.1 and saddle position is mounted in the middle of the seatpost.

Thanks again

yangster88,
This.... "I have been through 3 different bike fitters and all had the same conclusion for me".... is all I needed to hear to be confident. How you love that bike!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw, just to check if the bento box of the speedmax cf sl can fit a phone in it? Iphone 12mini. Or anyone has its dimension?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Searching for alternatives for my current aerobars and pads on my Canyon Speedmax CF SLX (2020, framesize M), I came across your name in this slowtwitch forum.

I want to raise my aerobars more, perhaps also more bend and get a little more distance between my pads. Do you know of any aftermarket parts for this? Hoping you can help... thanks!

Cheers,
Erik
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [DutchErik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Searching for alternatives for my current aerobars and pads on my Canyon Speedmax CF SLX (2020, framesize M), I came across your name in this slowtwitch forum.

I want to raise my aerobars more, perhaps also more bend and get a little more distance between my pads. Do you know of any aftermarket parts for this? Hoping you can help... thanks!

Erik,
Thanks for meeting me here with this question...

I think the engineering on the front end of the 2020 Speedmax has some real brilliance about. Once you "crack it open" you can really start to see all the thought that went into the design. I have no responsibility for that - I just respect it. It is a proprietary design so you can't go to Profile-Design or 51 Speedshop or Zipp, etc and buy some of their aerobars and put 'em on - although you could get a set of cool 51 Speed Shop extensions and plug those into the Speedmax system - it doesn't solve pad height though.

There are - as far as I know - 4 ways one might raise the aerobars on the 2020, rim brake Speedmax SLX. They should be approached in the order below. Within this process they will get wider.

#1 Arm Pad Pedestal. There is a potential of 45mm of spacer that can be moved under the aerobars. Those spacers are "living" sort of hidden on the bike all the time. It often comes shipped with 25mm of pedestal under the aerobar and 20mm on top. If you remove the hydration system (it sort of plugs together in the center) you'll see the stacks of spacers. You'll want to pull the aerobars and move all the spacers under them - then reinstall. If your bike is Di2 be careful not to crush the etubes (wires) in the rebuild process. There are little grooves that allow those wires to be positioned properly. If you've done this already then let's move to the next logical step.

#2 High Stack Flat Spring. Canyon sells on aftermarket item called the High Stack Flat Spring. This adds another 10mm to the height of the pads.

#3 There's another aftermarket item called a TSP (Team Switch Plate). It is designed to make the cockpit shorter than the short stem allows or longer than the long stem allows - as it happens if you put this item atop the High Stack Flat Spring it adds another 3mm.

#4 Now I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel - there's a brand of aerobar arm pad called Cee Gee that makes extra think pads. I'd look into that as it'll add another couple of mm.

I had an athlete in my fit studio a couple weeks ago who found a used 2020 SLX at a freaky low price and bought it. The bike was too low for him so we threw it all in there (expect the thick pads) and here's the result. In the picture the pads are mounted on the TSP (almost has an arrow head shape with one screw head exposed). Under that is the High Stack Flat Spring with 2 silver bolts above aero extensions and then they climb up and out to meet the pads.

Lastly, in terms of width... Profile-Design makes an arm pad that I really like called the F35 arm rest. The cup isn't as deep and the pad itself is wider and allows arms/elbows to move out a bit within the pad. Now... I've never put a set of those on the Canyon Speedmax foundation so I'm not 100% the pad screw holes line up with the threaded insertion points in the mounting area - but I bet they do. That might be something to try if you want width even beyond what the above offers.

Hope this helps, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

A very big thank you for your detailed reply, much appreciated. I will read it a few times more and see what I can realize... will keep you posted!

Thanks again, Erik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian- I will post later on specific canyon question but do you have recommendations for great fitter in Milwaukee and Chicago?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [CamoMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian- I will post later on specific canyon question but do you have recommendations for great fitter in Milwaukee and Chicago?
Thanks

CamoMan,
One of the top fitters in the country is in Chicago: Anne Barnes https://www.abbikefit.com/. I don't personally know any Milwaukee fitters but there are three listed here: https://www.slowtwitch.com/fitters/

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the contact.
So here is bike situation- year on borrowed too small bike- twitchy. Three years on used QR 4/5- very stable in XL- slammed front end, seat forward of BB a little, fit pretty good. Looking to upgrade to lightly used slx rim brake ultegra in large from friend who is enamoured with 21 models.
Just under 6’2’’, 33.5 inseam, 74” reach
187 pounds
My measures are not perfect here but close
Pad stack 675
Pad reach 530 to Center
Seat height 790
172.5 cranks
Aero bars angled some to get back of pads down and like some angle
Looking to get front end down to 640’s ish
Pads could come back a little
Like to go to 165-170 on cranks
Shorter course racing preferred. Maybe 70.3 some day
Like to mash it hard on the 53-12 and run fast. Sub 18 5k with good flexibility for age 50. Decathlete background and body type.
Thanks-
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [DutchErik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Some feedback and additional question:

#1: already have the full 45mm spacing under my aerobars
#2: I can order the Canyon High Stack Spring Kit (GP0157-01)
#3: no mentioning of Team Switch Plate on Dutch Canyon website, have sent mail to support team.

And searching for Canyon CF SLX and 51 Speedshop, I found below photo. Any thoughts on this (pads seem higher, right)?

Best regards,
Erik
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [CamoMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for the contact.
So here is bike situation- year on borrowed too small bike- twitchy. Three years on used QR 4/5- very stable in XL- slammed front end, seat forward of BB a little, fit pretty good. Looking to upgrade to lightly used slx rim brake ultegra in large from friend who is enamoured with 21 models.
Just under 6’2’’, 33.5 inseam, 74” reach
187 pounds
My measures are not perfect here but close
Pad stack 675
Pad reach 530 to Center
Seat height 790
172.5 cranks
Aero bars angled some to get back of pads down and like some angle
Looking to get front end down to 640’s ish
Pads could come back a little
Like to go to 165-170 on cranks
Shorter course racing preferred. Maybe 70.3 some day
Like to mash it hard on the 53-12 and run fast. Sub 18 5k with good flexibility for age 50. Decathlete background and body type.
Thanks-

CamoMan,
For the 2019-2020 rim brake Speedmax SLX you're a size Large. That bike can make your current Pad Y of 675 (with 45mm of pedestal) or the goal of 640 (with 10mm of spacer). Clearly the 165mm cranks will help you get closer to 640. The Pad X (current 520 or shorter to 500) all with the short cockpit that came stock on the bike. You're really right on for this bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Some feedback and additional question:

#1: already have the full 45mm spacing under my aerobars
#2: I can order the Canyon High Stack Spring Kit (GP0157-01)
#3: no mentioning of Team Switch Plate on Dutch Canyon website, have sent mail to support team.

And searching for Canyon CF SLX and 51 Speedshop, I found below photo. Any thoughts on this (pads seem higher, right)?

Best regards,
Erik

Erik,
The High Stack Flat Spring will get you up higher. Do you happen to know how much higher you need to go? I ask this knowing that every human on the planet should be pre-fit on a dynamic fit bike by someone who knows what they are doing before they buy so that Pad Y (what we're talking about here) and Pad X can be determined before someone buys the bike. It can't always happen that way but.... I can dream!

If you've maxed out the pedestal on your 2020 Speedmax SLX then you're at 640. When you put the High Stack Flat Spring in there you'll be at 650. The bike is not intended to go higher than that and even if we use the TSP and thicker pads - there's gonna be an end to this elevation. Will 650 satisfy you? Will you need 653? What is the Pad Y goal?

As to this picture... Hmmm... there's very little that is stock on this bike (wheel, pulleys, cranks) even the extensions look like 51-Ski Carbon Extension installed......??backward?? The pads look like 51-Speedshop too, but I don't think that's their 51-Mono-Riser Aerobar System. Regarding the 51 Speed Shop front end (I'm mean the whole thing) I'm not sure it will fit, if you can get one (site says they sold out), and if you could find one if that would put you higher than 650 - so lots of questions on that. I would go HERE, hit the contact us button and tell Matt that I "Ian sent you from the Slowtwitch Canyon thread" - ask him. I'd also try to contact someone HERE or DM TriRig here on Slowtwitch and see if that bar would take your 2020 SLX higher than 650.

I'd love it if you got back to me here with what you learn on those two fronts.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Thanks in advance for this.

I am reevaluating my size choice for a CFR/SLX. I could still adjust it with Canyon.
Pad x: 505 mm
Pad y: 680 mm, maxed out the spacers on the previous SLX.

Inseam 97 cm
Body size 192 cm
Seat hight 840 mm

I had to change it slightly to my latest bike fitting data.
I feel like I might have to go with. XL and a short stem? Would that work?

Canyon suggested an L and a long stem. Though I put in the wrong inseam of 91 when I submitted my data.

My frame size on the old rim brake SLX was L with a short stem.

Cheers
Last edited by: Voodoo90: May 16, 21 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Voodoo90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Voodoo90 - which bike are you looking to get the Speedmax CFR/SLX (super bike) or the Speedmax CF? (mortal-ish bike)?

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The SLX, sry.
Quote Reply

Prev Next