Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman US Champs aka IMNYC
Quote | Reply
Promised I'd do one once I'd had a bit of time to unwind after the race. May be a bit slower than during post-race to respond since I'm actually training again.

Brian Shea posted nutrition info here to save on redundant questions along those lines. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4113764#4113764

Same "rules" as the other times I've done this. Please keep questions about the race itself as much as possible. (I'm not going to share much in the way of details about training for the race, simply because I don't think answering those questions is actually a good idea, for a variety of reasons which I've covered.) Anyway, this isn't for me, it's for all of you. So ask away.

And my favorite pre-emptive response...

FOR PEDALSAURUS-TEX

Yes, I do get tired of talking about myself... Smile

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman US Champs aka IMNYC [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First!!

OK, now with that out of the way...

On the bike - did you "pick it up" when you caught TJ and Ambrose, or was that a function of them coming back to you, or some of both?
It seems like once the 3 of you were "together" up front, they/you took turns in the lead.
Did you find this beneficial? Were you secretly hoping/thinking that they were cooking themselves trying to stay w/ you? ;-)

No hat or visor on the run? Why not?

(I *hate* running w/ sunglasses, makes my eyes feel HOT. Much prefer a hat, to fill w ice, etc.
Obvoiusly, you prefer the opposite)

What did you carry with you on the run?

Was it both cups of ice and water that you seemed to be dumping into your trisuit at every run aid station?

Did you get blisters on your feet?

Did you slow down at the end on purpose (had it in the bag) or due to heat/fatigue/ becoming a tough day at the office?

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Aug 20, 12 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman US Champs aka IMNYC [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank god you started this to distract from all the LA threads popping up. Does this mean you are out of Leadman in Bend? Oh yeah, big congrats too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you pollute the Hudson?

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats. How did your bike set change from IMTX/Wildflower as decribed here?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you feel that the course is any less legit with the downhill fast swim?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Likely moot, but would you do it again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you think the run course compared to other IM run courses in difficulty?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman US Champs aka IMNYC [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
First!!

OK, now with that out of the way...

On the bike - did you "pick it up" when you caught TJ and Ambrose, or was that a function of them coming back to you, or some of both?
It seems like once the 3 of you were "together" up front, they/you took turns in the lead.
Did you find this beneficial? Were you secretly hoping/thinking that they were cooking themselves trying to stay w/ you? ;-)

No hat or visor on the run? Why not?

(I *hate* running w/ sunglasses, makes my eyes feel HOT. Much prefer a hat, to fill w ice, etc.
Obvoiusly, you prefer the opposite)

What did you carry with you on the run?

Was it both cups of ice and water that you seemed to be dumping into your trisuit at every run aid station?

Did you get blisters on your feet?

Did you slow down at the end on purpose (had it in the bag) or due to heat/fatigue/ becoming a tough day at the office?

No, I didn't pick it up. I was actually slowing down when I caught them, just less than they slowed down. Once I caught them, I thought they'd fall off pretty quickly. The "taking turns" was not intentional. It was me trying to drop them and needing a bit more than I thought it would take to actually do so. I didn't care if they stayed with me or not, though given that we were riding into a straight headwind, I didn't feel like giving them a tow if I could avoid it. 10m is 10m, but it still offers SOME benefit.

I don't really think they help too much. Especially visors. A hat might, but I also think a hat can trap some heat as well, especially in humid conditions. I ran without a visor/hat in Texas, and I liked it. Easier to sponge off the head/forehead. So I did it again in NY. I will probably wear a hat in Kona, though, since there is ZERO shade. Much of the first 15mi in NY was fairly shady.

28 saltsticks. That's it.

Yes. both ice and water - mostly ice though - into the suit.

Yes. My feet got pretty trashed with all the water I was dumping.

I slowed down because I knew I could and also because I really wanted to. If I'd HAD to run faster, I could have. But I am VERY glad I did not have to.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman US Champs aka IMNYC [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
Thank god you started this to distract from all the LA threads popping up. Does this mean you are out of Leadman in Bend? Oh yeah, big congrats too.

No, I am still racing in Bend. With the short run and temperate conditions, it'll be a good long training day. Overall, it's not that much different than my biggest training day before IMNYC.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman US Champs aka IMNYC [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Did you pollute the Hudson?

Well, given that the sewage line that burst actually serves my neighborhood, it's very possible. And yes I peed in the river during the swim as well.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman US Champs aka IMNYC [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Congrats. How did your bike set change from IMTX/Wildflower as decribed here?

Exactly the same except I was on the clincher version of that same wheelset.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman US Champs aka IMNYC [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
Do you feel that the course is any less legit with the downhill fast swim?

In my case, it was ~10min fast. That's basically 2%. I'd say the bike/run courses more than made up for it. The pro men - who started earliest - had the slowest conditions for the swim, though. But even still, for the "slow" people, there were reports of ~20min PBs, which is still not insane. It was still as hard a race as any other Ironman. I figure the run course was ~10min slower (in my case) than a "normal" course, so on balance, I think the course was pretty legit. If the race comes back and they get a swim where the tide is coming in - as is inevitable eventually - this will be a brutal course.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman US Champs aka IMNYC [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
Likely moot, but would you do it again?

Probably not, but that's really more a function of timing. 9 weeks before Kona is just not ideal if you really want to be at your absolute best there. Same problem with any August race. If the race was in June or July? Absolutely. But 2nd weekend in August is too late if Kona is your primary goal for the season.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race. Your thoughts on the course as a whole? For us AG's, the run course was brutal (ok for me anyway). Also, for (my own) future reference, I'd love to hear what your strategy was for attacking the hills in the first 16 miles. I had seen the elevation but in no way was prepared mentally for how steep and/or long they were.

Good luck at the Worlds...we're all pulling for you!

See you in Bend....!!

Power on bike? Did you hit your targets?

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team