Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread
Quote | Reply
On November 15th, the 2020/21 edition of the 100 runs in 100 days Challenge, commonly known as 100/100, commences. Thanks to Dev Paul for conceiving of and curating this Challenge over the years. for both the last 2 years we've had between 700 and 800 participants, which have been our 2 biggest years.

We shall begin with our customary "Airing of the Grievances." Let us all get it out of our systems. Just know that you asked for this Challenge to be moved up a little, so, rather than its traditional Dec 15 start, or last year's Dec 1 start, we've moved to Nov 15th. That's 4 weeks from yesterday, and we're announcing now so that you can have almost a month to get ready.

In this thread we'll explain the rules, answer questions, and then share successes and failures, and give each other encouragement, as the Challenge progresses.

This goals of this Challenge are to establish a solid run base; to embed a habit of using the run to establish your fitness foundation. This Challenge honors frequency. Not distance. Not speed. Not effort. It honors regularity. Routine. To prevail in this Challenge you don't see how much you can do; rather how little. Not how hard you can run, but how easy. You might think running that easy detrains you. Let's revisit this once you're a couple of months into it.

What Counts?

1. Any run that's at least 30 minutes long or at least 3 miles long (see below for exceptions).
2. The runs can be outdoors or on a treadmill.
3. Walking does not count, but an honest-effort walk-run does count.
4. Aquajogging and elliptical training do not count.
5. You can (and probably should) take days off.
6. You can do days with more than 1 run session; each sessions counts.
7. You get no credit for going longer than 30min; a 30min run is identical to a 60min run for this Challenge.
8. Extra effort gains you nothing.
9. You can go as slow as you want provided both feet leave the ground on every stride.
10. Runs must separated by at least 1 hour to count as multiple sessions.

Runs shorter than 30 minutes

11. If you do 2 runs shorter than 30 minutes in one day you can count the total as 1 run.
12. Up to twice per week you can run a session that is shorter than 30min if on the very next day you run a session that makes up the difference, i.e., a 23min run doesn't count, but, if you run a 37min run the following day, then you've officially run 2 sessions. You'll need to jimmy the run-duration totals in your training log to get the credit (you're on your honor here).

Joining the Challenge; Entering Runs on the Slowtwitch Training Log

- Go to training.slowtwitch.com. You can always navigate there via the blue navbar above (below the ad banner at the top), hover over "Training" (third heading from right) and click on Training Log.
- Sign up for a Training Log account if you don't already have one (your Reader Forum account is also your Training Log account, i.e., there's one unified login for both).
- Then look for 100/100 for 2019/20. It's hard to miss.
- Click "enroll".
- If you just go to the Challenges page, this is an easy place to go to in order to enroll. Just make sure you're signed in first.
- Now start entering your runs in the log. Make sure you only enter runs that combine as 30 minutes as one session. If you have a 20min + 15min day, enter it as one workout of 35 minute or it will not get rolled into the results sheet.
- Please ensure that you log a distance along with the time. If you don't know the distance, please try to estimate.
- Your runs will automatically get entered into the Challenge results sheet.
- Here's what my Training Log page looks like, and you can see I'm enrolled in the 100/100. If that icon on your training log instance said ENROLL, then click it. If it says LEAVE, as mine does, then you're already successfully enrolled in the Challenge.

Strava Sync

- You'll see a button on our Training Log allowing you to sync with Strava (in fact, you can see it in the screenshot above). Click that button if you enter your results some other way, in another training log or program. The only requirement for this to work is that your other training log must also sync with Strava. Basically, if your session is on Strava, our log will find it, download it, and your sessions will automatically append to the Challenge. "EricTheBiking" (on the Forum) is our Training Logmeister. He'll answer questions you have about this on this thread.

Viewing Challenge Standings

- From the Challenges home page, click on the link to go to the 100/100 for 2020/21, you'll see where you and everyone stands.
- Click on any of the column headers, and it will sort the sheet based on that category (frequency, time, distance, aerobic points). Just, frequency is how we judge this.
- Please note that you must be logged in to actually enter your data. You can't enter data without logging into your account (seems obvious...).

Accumulated Wisdom: This is year-14 of this Challenge. Much has been learned, good and bad.

- This is an exercise in who can whisper the loudest.
- Don't try to bank run sessions early. Just trust the process. You'll probably be more successful "banking" runs, as in, performing double runs, later in the Challenge rather than earlier.
- Take days off when you need to. As your fitness increases, you may find later in the Challenge you can run doubles. Most who hit their 100/100 do take rest days.

Levels

While some might go for 100 runs, the reality is that unless you are already running 4-6 hours per week, this might be unrealistic. For most a realistic goal is to start at Bronze club pace (or less) and then see how things go.

Platinum Club = 100 runs in 100 days (March 24th)
Gold Club = 90 runs in 100 runs in days
Silver Club = 80 runs in 100 runs in days
Bronze = 70 runs in 100 runs in days

Please put any questions on this thread. Better to put them here than send PMs or emails.

Please post stories about your workouts, pictures from running days and chime in to motivate each other on this thread. Don't just log workouts and disappear. The community is what it's all about.

Zwift Running

We're going to really highlight this Challenge in our weekly Zwift runs. This is the year when this challenge and Zwift running really do complement each other.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 19, 20 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So....

Does 11. and 12. follow 30 minutes or 3 miles or just 30 minutes?

Does a 1.5 mile run in the morning and 1.5 mile run at lunch count as 1 run or zero runs?

Does a 2 mile run on one day and 4 mile run on day 2 count as 1 or 2 runs?

Runs shorter than 30 minutes

11. If you do 2 runs shorter than 30 minutes in one day you can count the total as 1 run.
12. Up to twice per week you can run a session that is shorter than 30min if on the very next day you run a session that makes up the difference, i.e., a 23min run doesn't count, but, if you run a 37min run the following day, then you've officially run 2 sessions. You'll need to jimmy the run-duration totals in your training log to get the credit (you're on your honor here).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
So....

Does 11. and 12. follow 30 minutes or 3 miles or just 30 minutes?

Since Dan & Dev have pretty much used the same "rule book" for the past however many years, and haven't updated that section, I suggest you just move the decimal over and swap "minutes" for "miles"

Quote:
11. If you do 2 runs shorter than 3.0 miles in one day you can count the total as 1 run.
12. Up to twice per week you can run a session that is shorter than 3.0 miles if on the very next day you run a session that makes up the difference, i.e., a 2.3 mile run doesn't count, but, if you run a 3.7 mile run the following day, then you've officially run 2 sessions. You'll need to jimmy the run-duration/mileage totals in your training log to get the credit (you're on your honor here).

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excited for this year. Had a good experience last year.

What time does this start exactly? 12:00 am Sunday November 15th, user’s local time zone?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<Gulp> This didn't exactly end well for me last year.

I mean...I guess, "All's well that ends well." but, it was a bumpy ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:

What time does this start exactly? 12:00 am Sunday November 15th, user’s local time zone?

good question. i'll ask our training logmeister eric the biking to answer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

this challenge will require many people to have open heart surgery. did we forget to mention that?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

this challenge will require many people to have open heart surgery. did we forget to mention that?

Then I'm a step ahead of most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in. Last year I got to 800km of running over 100 runs after a 4 year hiatus of not running (I used the previous year before that as 100 days of rehab to get to ONE 30 min run). During my first 12 weeks of Covid19 lockdown I ran 1000km in 84 days (mainly 1x per day 60-90 min). For 100/100 this year I would like to get to 300km of swimming and 900km to 1000km of running depending on how bad the winter is and if pools remain open or they get slammed shut on us here on this second wave....and also how good the snow is for XC skiing. Let's see. But hard to believe all of this started Dec 2006 and its still going on. I think technically its starting its 15th year!!!! First year I did it, finished up 1 month before Wildflower 2007!!!! Sadly Wildflower no longer around.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do we have to use Strava to participate? Was hoping to rely just on my Garmin GPS watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [tri15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri15 wrote:
Do we have to use Strava to participate? Was hoping to rely just on my Garmin GPS watch.

i don't know if we can import straight from garmin or not. i'll have eric answer that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2013 with 71 runs.... so after 6 years recovery, I`m back for some epic shit. Looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm new to the 100/100 challenge and not a frequent visitor so apologies if my question has been covered:
Would it be possible to create a Strava group for this challenge, please? I just enjoy Strava and would love to track everyone's progress on that platform as well as Slowtwitch.
cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [tri15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri15 wrote:

I don't think you have to ... I've always input my mileage manually

I personally avoided Strava for the longest time, until we had a fundraising Challenge at work where Strava/MapMyRun or some other GPS-based app was required [as there was real money involved, and it had to be auditable], and now i only use it sporadically - mostly to measure new bike routes with D'Girls

Also, I'm going to end up doing a bunch of runs on the treadmill, and Strava doesn't work so great for that, I've heard

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [The Customer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Customer wrote:
I'm new to the 100/100 challenge and not a frequent visitor so apologies if my question has been covered:

Would it be possible to create a Strava group for this challenge, please? I just enjoy Strava and would love to track everyone's progress on that platform as well as Slowtwitch.
cheers

There's already a strava club. It's not 100/100 specific though.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/slowtwitch-com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:

Yes, that's correct. The log doesn't translate time zones: anything that comes in in the range (date, not time) will be included in the challenge.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Dan, Tom, everyone, if you care to look at page 3 of last year's challenge, I've added something to the list.

https://training.slowtwitch.com/challenges/leaderboard/20?page=3

Tom, you're an inspiration to us all.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri15 wrote:

Hey!

We currently do not integrate directly with Garmin. At the time we looked at this, the only available integrations were through screen scraping and were a bit unreliable. This led us to rely on the Strava integration as the best way to get data in.

I think we could look at this again, if there's enough demand, and I see that Garmin has a public oauth-secured API that is free for business use. If they approve us, this could turn into a real thing.

Now, having said that: it's unlikely that I could get us integrated before the challenge begins this year. It's a pretty short timeline.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:

Dan, Tom, everyone, if you care to look at page 3 of last year's challenge, I've added something to the list.

https://training.slowtwitch.com/...eaderboard/20?page=3

-Eric

Awe....Thanks, Eric. I'm glad to still be here, and able to run, train, and live my life with ZERO limitations.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:

-Eric

Awe....Thanks, Eric. I'm glad to still be here, and able to run, train, and live my life with ZERO limitations.

Well, I think I speak for everyone when I say we're also glad you can be here, running, training, and living.

Everyone else: just be like Tom and you get a special badge too!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This challenge sounds interesting to me having just started a small run streak of my own. I'd like more clarification on "honest effort walk/run. I walk/run almost all my runs, 30 sec walk, 90 sec run. Would this count in this challenge?

Kim Ruble
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [rubleka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubleka wrote:
This challenge sounds interesting to me having just started a small run streak of my own. I'd like more clarification on "honest effort walk/run. I walk/run almost all my runs, 30 sec walk, 90 sec run. Would this count in this challenge?

Its all on the honor system, and this is a challenge, not a competition. I think 90/30 is fine...maybe on the edge of being a lot of walking with 25% of each session being . But, I'd also think about why you are walking every 90 seconds---and perhaps, slow down to allow you to run for longer or other appropos modifications. As longer (perhaps easier) bouts of running with less walking will have some benefits over the 90/30 framework.

Some people have handled these situations by simply totaling up the run-only time in walk-runs. So, 20 repeats of your 90/30 cycle to get your 30min of running.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:

-Eric

Well, I think I speak for everyone when I say we're also glad you can be here, running, training, and living.

Everyone else: just be like Tom and you get a special badge too!

-Eric

Nice to add that, but I'm thinking NO ONE wants that badge...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the over/under on total runs by bluestacks867?

As well as over/under on number of day 1 runs for him?

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Last edited by: Leavitt: Oct 20, 20 17:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
What the over/under on total runs by bluestacks867?

As well as over/under on number of day 1 runs for him?

9 on day-1. 570 total.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next