Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread
Quote | Reply
On Dec 1st the 2019/20 edition of the 100 runs in 100 days Challenge, commonly known as 100/100, commences. Thanks to Dev Paul for conceiving of and curating this Challenge over the years. Last year we had a record 758 take part (the largest prior to that was 599).

Last week we posted our official Airing of the Grievances thread, which is where you kick, scratch, moan and complain (basically, where you do everything except run). In this thread we'll explain the rules, answer questions, and then share successes and failures, and give each other encouragement, as the Challenge progresses.

This goals of this Challenge are to establish a solid run base; to embed a habit of using the run to establish your fitness foundation. This Challenge honors frequency. Not distance. Not speed. Not effort. It honors regularity. Routine. To prevail in this Challenge you don't see how much you can do; rather how little. Not how hard you can run, but how easy. You might think running that easy detrains you. Let's revisit this once you're a couple of months into it.

What Counts?

1. Any run that's at least 30 minutes long or at least 3 miles long (see below for exceptions).
2. The runs can be outdoors or on a treadmill.
3. Walking does not count, but an honest-effort walk-run does count.
4. Aquajogging and elliptical training do not count.
5. You can (and probably should) take days off.
6. You can do days with more than 1 run session; each sessions counts.
7. You get no credit for going longer than 30min; a 30min run is identical to a 60min run for this Challenge.
8. Extra effort gains you nothing.
9. You can go as slow as you want provided both feet leave the ground on every stride.
10. Runs must separated by at least 1 hour to count as multiple sessions.

Runs shorter than 30 minutes

11. If you do 2 runs shorter than 30 minutes in one day you can count the total as 1 run.
12. Up to twice per week you can run a session that is shorter than 30min if on the very next day you run a session that makes up the difference, i.e., a 23min run doesn't count, but, if you run a 37min run the following day, then you've officially run 2 sessions. You'll need to jimmy the run-duration totals in your training log to get the credit (you're on your honor here).
13. Someone in the Grievances thread complained that the 2nd run in a day shouldn't need to be 30min. As you see, this exception just above makes that possible.

Joining the Challenge; Entering Runs on the Slowtwitch Training Log

- Go to training.slowtwitch.com. You can always navigate there via the blue navbar above (below the ad banner at the top), hover over "Training" (third heading from right) and click on Training Log.
- Sign up for a Training Log account if you don't already have one (your Reader Forum account is also your Training Log account, i.e., there's one unified login for both).
- Then look for 100/100 for 2019/20. It's hard to miss.
- Click "enroll".
- If you just go to the Challenges page, this is an easy place to go to in order to enroll. Just make sure you're signed in first.
- Now start entering your runs in the log. Make sure you only enter runs that combine as 30 minutes as one session. If you have a 20min + 15min day, enter it as one workout of 35 minute or it will not get rolled into the results sheet.
- Please ensure that you log a distance along with the time. If you don't know the distance, please try to estimate.
- Your runs will automatically get entered into the Challenge results sheet.
- Here's what my Training Log page looks like, and you can see I'm enrolled in the 100/100. If that icon on your training log instance said ENROLL, then click it. If it says LEAVE, as mine does, then you're already successfully enrolled in the Challenge.

Strava Sync

- You'll see a button on our Training Log allowing you to sync with Strava (in fact, you can see it in the screenshot above). Click that button if you enter your results some other way, in another training log or program. The only requirement for this to work is that your other training log must also sync with Strava. Basically, if your session is on Strava, our log will find it, download it, and your sessions will automatically append to the Challenge. "EricTheBiking" (on the Forum) is our Training Logmeister. He'll answer questions you have about this on this thread.

Viewing Challenge Standings

- From the Challenges home page, click on the link to go to the 100/100 for 2018/19, you'll see where you and everyone stands.
- Click on any of the column headers, and it will sort the sheet based on that category (frequency, time, distance, aerobic points). Just, frequency is how we judge this.
- Please note that you must be logged in to actually enter your data. You can't enter data without logging into your account (seems obvious...).

Accumulated Wisdom: This is year-12 of this Challenge. Much has been learned, good and bad.

- This is an exercise in who can whisper the loudest.
- Don't try to bank run sessions early. Just trust the process. You'll probably be more successful "banking" runs, as in, performing double runs, later in the Challenge rather than earlier.
- Take days off when you need to. As your fitness increases, you may find later in the Challenge you can run doubles. Most who hit their 100/100 do take rest days.

Levels

While some might go for 100 runs, the reality is that unless you are already running 4-6 hours per week, this might be unrealistic. For most a realistic goal is to start at Bronze club pace (or less) and then see how things go.

Platinum Club = 100 runs in 100 days (March 24th)
Gold Club = 90 runs in 100 runs in days
Silver Club = 80 runs in 100 runs in days
Bronze = 70 runs in 100 runs in days

Please put any questions on this thread. Better to put them here than send PMs or emails.

Please post stories about your workouts, pictures from running days and chime in to motivate each other on this thread. Don't just log workouts and disappear. The community is what it's all about.

Zwift Running

And, finally, we're going to be doing a lot of Zwift runs that will commence the same week as the 100/100 Challenge starts. Nothing fancy. Not workouts. Just runs. Group runs. We'll have guests! We're going to endeavor to author a front page article weekly, over the weekend, telling you everything we've got planned for you (ride and run) during the week. We'll also have a separate thread here just for how-to-Zwift and other Zwift questions.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Nov 30, 19 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alrighty folks! it's here! December 1 is day-1 of our 100/100 Challenge. good luck! bon chance! on the front page are a few tips for those who need a few tips.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev and Slowman!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real question.... How long can I keep this on the down-low. My wife is gonna kill me when she figures this out.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
The real question.... How long can I keep this on the down-low. My wife is gonna kill me when she figures this out.

don't worry. she's keeping secrets from you too ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference is I don't want to know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For inspiration, I offer a quote from George Malley ("malmo"), former American record holder in the 3k steeplechase (8:21) and half-marathon (1:01:43) -- and a frequent source of sage advice on letsrun:

" Someone asked here what was the most important workout? I said 'The most important workout is this: morning, cold, dark and rainy or warm and sunny, 4-10 miles easy. I've done thousands of them' "

Good luck all in adding to your personal tallies!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remind me. How and when did this nonsense start? I know Dev was one of the instigators. And I think it’s related to some of the old monster training week contests we had 15 years ago or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, in and 1 for 1!

Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [duffyshuffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished my first run. The synchronization from Strava to ST Training Log worked well. But I don't find my run in the 100/100 Challenge. What i missed? Thank you.

Aldo
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Aldo S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see you in there. 34.16 mins, 4.02 miles. Maybe just need to refresh the browser page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

What Counts?

1. Any run that's at least 30 minutes long or at least 3 miles long (see below for exceptions).

- Now start entering your runs in the log. Make sure you only enter runs that combine as 30 minutes as one session. If you have a 20min + 15min day, enter it as one workout of 35 minute or it will not get rolled into the results sheet.

If we have a run that's over three miles but less than 30 minutes, will it not be logged in the challenge page? Will have to put it in as 30 minutes it seems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, I did this two years ago . . . did 106/100 and although I felt ok the whole time I ended up with a slow "season" following. Perhaps it is age. I wonder if others have had negative results doing the 100/100?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
I can see you in there. 34.16 mins, 4.02 miles. Maybe just need to refresh the browser page.

Changed browser, now it's ok. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [CVH1296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CVH1296 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

What Counts?

If we have a run that's over three miles but less than 30 minutes, will it not be logged in the challenge page? Will have to put it in as 30 minutes it seems.

my guess is that we haven't finished coding it yet. the 3mi part.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you make this a sticky?

In for the challenge, out for today. Did a 10km trail run on snow yesterday and my legs are tired today. I clearly need this challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am reluctantly in ... training for a spring marathon and will be doing quite a bit of running, so 100/100 is naturally a good fit this time of the year.

The frustration is that ST is technologically stuck in year ~2005. Not sure why it is so hard to upgrade interface/engine for the forum.

Case in point - I can’t “enroll” in the challenge on iOS. Anytime I click ”enroll” it takes me to the leaderboard without enrolling. I’ll login on desktop, but this is frustrating... please join the rest of the internet in 2019 ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having trouble with the Strava link, get this error when I try and "Connect w/ Strava". I participated last year and was able to sync no problems. Any ideas?

Result: Error

No id field found in athlete data

UPDATE: Logging out of ST and back in and then going back through the process worked for me.
Last edited by: dogchili94: Dec 1, 19 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else have problems trying to connect to Strava? It just gives me "No id field found in athlete data"

[Edit] Oops, I guess I should have read to the end, I see I am not the only one

[Edit #2] -- Appears to have been fixed now a few hours later
Last edited by: JoeO: Dec 1, 19 13:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this 100/100 again Dan. I started with it last year. Around the half way point I got pretty sick with the flue. That knocked me down for 2 weeks and I never got back into the challenge. This year I will be running the Lighthouse 100 on May 31, so this 100/100 will get me up to speed for my official training program that starts 1-1-20.
Good luck to all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got an easy 3.5 miles done to kickoff the challenge today. Looking to keep the mileage consistent and stay in the 30-40 minutes range these first 2-3 weeks.

Anyone planning on doing some of the group runs on Zwift? The 7am ET start is a bit late for me to squeeze in during the week unfortunately...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [awobabobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow morning will be my first run on Zwift. Interested to try it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mjp202] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 done - many more to go
thanks for getting my butt in gear
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in again, and firmly in the top 10 at the moment, it will be my high point, so I'm bragging now...Gonna try and figure out a way to do some doubles really easy so that I can still focus the hard stuff on my swimming..
Quote Reply

Prev Next