Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thugbuster wrote:
Yes, and another person who is pretty high on the chart who is obviously not playing by the rules...

I guess I interpreted the rule incorrectly and then wrongly assumed runs that didn't qualify would not show up on the count.

I have removed myself from the challenge so you should have moved up one place.

Happy Running!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
I clicked through a bunch of profiles. More than likely, the one person simply misinterpreted the rule. Another person gives you Fs (last year as well) and just stops runs midway through, saves, and records a new run immediately. The person with many duplicate runs is probably a simple glitch that they are unaware of. The others are probably just people who are honestly sometimes running without hour breaks now and then for their own reasons and not trying to cheat the system. When synced, Strava sends the data over regardless. Even if they are manually deleted by the user, Strava will send them back over at the next sync. It is probably not really their fault to have to micromanage their runs like that. In general, I just give the benefit of the doubt. Information Technology is complicated, and intent is not always as it may seem.

This got me thinking about my runs and the amount of logistics involved to string together many 1.01-hour or 1.02-hour rests back to back to back. If those 1.01-hour breaks become 1.08-hour breaks, then over the course of the day those extra few minutes can be the difference between me having time to get in an extra run or not. I have a strict stopping time. I almost never start a run after 7:30 PM. This is a hard stop so I can help put the kids to bed and retire for the night. When I plan out the day in my head, start time of the first run is very important too. If I start at 9:12 AM, then there is time for 8 runs if the breaks are no more than 1 hour, 1 minute. If I start the first run 15 minutes later at 9:27 AM, then there is only time for 7 runs.

It is a bit of a process for me to start my runs in that one to two-minute window throughout the day. I get in the garage 3-4 minutes early and open Zwift on my laptop. It takes about 60 seconds for Zwift to open. While it is opening, I put on HRM, cuboid pad, and two knee braces followed by shoes. You would be surprised how many freaking times I put on my shoes first by accident before the knee braces. I then select the course in Zwift and click Run. It takes Zwift another 60 seconds to load into the virtual world. During this time, I fire up the treadmill so that it gets up to speed. I also handle any last-minute things that I forgot such as run to the bathroom or grab water from the kitchen. If I do need to leave the garage while loading into the Zwift world, I take off my right shoe so the foot pod doesn't start the avatar running in Zwift while I am running through the house. If Zwift picked up the pod, my official start time would potentially be only 59 minutes since the end of the last run and not the full hour. Finally, I make it back to the treadmill and check the time on my watch. I often stand around for 30 seconds waiting for the minute to roll over, then I hit the treadmill in stride at speed.

I have a pen and paper near my treadmill setup. When I remember to, I immediately look at my clock when I finish a run, and 1 hour 1 minute, and write it down on the paper so I know exactly when I can start the next run. This website also comes in handy to help me keep track of timings: https://www.calculator.net/time-calculator.html
I do this so many times a day that it has become second nature but sitting back and thinking about it, I thought it was interesting info to share with the group and add as an update.



U R NUTS!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its an honest mistake dogchili, no need to leave. I think you can still re-enroll. Come back and keep throwing down hard!

Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge - Advanced Analytics: Data | Graphs
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:

I have a pen and paper near my treadmill setup. When I remember to, I immediately look at my clock when I finish a run, and 1 hour 1 minute, and write it down on the paper so I know exactly when I can start the next run. This website also comes in handy to help me keep track of timings: https://www.calculator.net/time-calculator.html
I do this so many times a day that it has become second nature but sitting back and thinking about it, I thought it was interesting info to share with the group and add as an update.

spreadsheets are your friend. A2=0:61, B2=now()+A2
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with bluestacks. You aren't alone, I scrolled through the top50 also. Most looked like misunderstandings of the rulz.

No reason to drop out. Just delete the non-compliant runs---And keep on truckin'.

The only real consequence is that you've forfeited your rights to all the prize money.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

U R NUTS!!!!!


Mutherfucking nuts...just to stay consistent with your language from last week. Get back on your couch! :-)
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 13, 20 12:31
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crazy mutherfucking 100/100 dude wrote:
It is a bit of a process for me to start my runs in that one to two-minute window throughout the day. I get in the garage 3-4 minutes early and open Zwift on my laptop. It takes about 60 seconds for Zwift to open. While it is opening, I put on HRM, cuboid pad, and two knee braces followed by shoes. You would be surprised how many freaking times I put on my shoes first by accident before the knee braces. I then select the course in Zwift and click Run. It takes Zwift another 60 seconds to load into the virtual world. During this time, I fire up the treadmill so that it gets up to speed. I also handle any last-minute things that I forgot such as run to the bathroom or grab water from the kitchen. If I do need to leave the garage while loading into the Zwift world, I take off my right shoe so the foot pod doesn't start the avatar running in Zwift while I am running through the house. If Zwift picked up the pod, my official start time would potentially be only 59 minutes since the end of the last run and not the full hour. Finally, I make it back to the treadmill and check the time on my watch. I often stand around for 30 seconds waiting for the minute to roll over, then I hit the treadmill in stride at speed.

yeah....that's all a bit too much faffing around for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW- I'm not sure I was referring to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really cool advanced analytics dashboard bluestacks!

I'm curious as to your plan for when you transition off the 100/100 challenge. Seems like you're at some pretty crazy awesome volume, and if you ended up breaking that down into 2 runs a day at just a little lower volume, you'd have a pretty nice prescription for traditional high volume training.

Did an Ironman once. Only runs now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [qintegral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note to self:

Its probably a good idea to look at the map before heading out on a "new" running route. Its also probably a bad idea to "explore" while on lunch break.

I've been trying to do less out-and-back routes lately...

Saturday, on my long run (planning on about 12ish), I called an audible and decided to go a direction I'd never gone before. I've driven "most" of the route many times. I know more-or-less where the road "goes". There was just one part that I'd never been on, but I knew it had to connect to one of my normal roads. I just didn't know exactly where. I just kept running, and running...around the 9 mi point, I was beginning to question my wisdom when I still hadn't reconnected with my own street. No worries though, I figured out where I was soon enough---1/2 mile later. Oooooohhhh.....yeah, 4 miles from home. 13.5 miles.

Today: went for a run at lunch. Planning on an 8 mile run as 1.5mi warm up, 5 mile progression to 5k pace, 1.5mi cool down. Simple enough? Well, instead of turning around at the midpoint and retracing my route, I decided to turn left and reconnect with the main road that my office is on. Weeeeelllll....1.25 miles later, the road dead-ended. Ok, it didn't dead end, but it turned AWAY from work and headed into the distant south. So, turn around and head back the way I came. 10.5 miles.

Sometimes you find new interesting routes serendipitously. Sometimes......not.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Randy, just a heads up, I plan to catch up with you tomorrow. I took some days off and now I’m doing my favorite thing: chasing. I have my eyes on you!

: )
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Randy, just a heads up, I plan to catch up with you tomorrow. I took some days off and now I’m doing my favorite thing: chasing. I have my eyes on you!

: )

I was wondering where you'd got off to.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [qintegral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
qintegral wrote:
Really cool advanced analytics dashboard bluestacks!

I'm curious as to your plan for when you transition off the 100/100 challenge. Seems like you're at some pretty crazy awesome volume, and if you ended up breaking that down into 2 runs a day at just a little lower volume, you'd have a pretty nice prescription for traditional high volume training.

Thanks. It was a bit of work to create all the formulas in excel but now that it is built it is pretty easy to load in the data and have the dashboard auto update. The visual kind of keeps me motivated to not stop and keep hammering every day.

My plan next year involves no triathlons or bike races. I think my triathlon days are over. I have Hyner 50K in April. This will be my second year doing it and my second trail race. I'll be a bit heavier this year but I am hoping to crush my time from last year. Sometime around then I will need to decide if this is the year I race a 100-miler or if I add in speed work for the first time ever and chase 2:59:59. I am leaning towards 100-miler and spending the year doing a lot of elevation and longer single runs. Sub 3 is still a goal of mine but I might push it back to 2021. My interest between bike and run comes and goes so anything could change but right now I am locked in to running in 2020. 2017 was a huge year on the bike for me and maybe I will get that urge back one day. In 2017 I everested and did a couple 200-miler solo rides across states. I even did a solo 300-miler in 2018. Now days I don't even have an urge to get on the bike. It will come back someday though.

Your massive outdoor two-a-days are impressive. I could never do that right now but I hope to do mileage like that one day. Do you have races planned? I bet your marathon PR is really good if you don't mind me asking.


monty wrote:
F*&^(#g shit

Monty how is your ankle?

Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge - Advanced Analytics: Data | Graphs
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh....I'm coming down with something.

I've been running really well, lately. I had a great run yesterday, 2 1/2 mile detour notwithstanding. Almost immediately after I began to feel a scratchy throat.

Today, just a short 5 miles, but everything is just "off". Its also 77F and humid, which doesn't make it any more pleasant.

Come on immune system. Do your thing!!! quickly, please.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I misread a different rule - the minimum 30 minutes OR 3 miles. In my mind, I've had that as an AND. So I've been doing more than I needed to since my typical pace is 8ish.

But now that I'm this far in, I think I'll just go with it. I've had some nice fitness gains so far, so am stoked to continue.

Your commitment is super impressive. Nuts, maybe, but there's nobility in pushing the boundaries.

Ian

(formerly "sneeuwaap")
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:

Thanks. It was a bit of work to create all the formulas in excel but now that it is built it is pretty easy to load in the data and have the dashboard auto update. The visual kind of keeps me motivated to not stop and keep hammering every day.

My plan next year involves no triathlons or bike races. I think my triathlon days are over. I have Hyner 50K in April. This will be my second year doing it and my second trail race. I'll be a bit heavier this year but I am hoping to crush my time from last year. Sometime around then I will need to decide if this is the year I race a 100-miler or if I add in speed work for the first time ever and chase 2:59:59. I am leaning towards 100-miler and spending the year doing a lot of elevation and longer single runs. Sub 3 is still a goal of mine but I might push it back to 2021. My interest between bike and run comes and goes so anything could change but right now I am locked in to running in 2020. 2017 was a huge year on the bike for me and maybe I will get that urge back one day. In 2017 I everested and did a couple 200-miler solo rides across states. I even did a solo 300-miler in 2018. Now days I don't even have an urge to get on the bike. It will come back someday though.

Your massive outdoor two-a-days are impressive. I could never do that right now but I hope to do mileage like that one day. Do you have races planned? I bet your marathon PR is really good if you don't mind me asking.

I definitely found it really easy to exit triathlon and commit entirely with running, so I feel like I know a bit of what you're feeling for this year :p.

Either goal sounds super awesome! And the base you're building will probably help for any kind of transition. I truly believe what you're doing sounds more difficult than the way I've broken down my mileage so surprised to hear you say you could never do it!

I'm juggling some choices this year for races, but I'll definitely be trying to race two marathons, a fast mile, and some halfs/10Ks/5Ks throughout the year. My PRs are maybe not that impressive in relation to what kinds of volume I'm putting in, but I'm definitely working at it long term. It's been one year of consistent high volume and I'm hoping to reach some pipe-dream results after 5+ years of going at it. The numbers though: since late 2017, I've dropped from 3:30 -> 2:36 in the marathon.

Did an Ironman once. Only runs now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty how is your ankle? //

Well I didnt break it, but could hardly walk the next day, so no running then. Went for a swim day after that, and loosened it up. But I have been icing, aspirin, keeping it up, and wrapping it tight at night like a good boy. Ran uphill on treadmill yesterday easy, and had my big yearly stress test today. Was worried if I could do it, but broke my old 60+ record (64 triathlon age now) by a minute. Got 20+ minutes in on the Bruce protocol, pretty happy about that, and didnt not feel hammered after. Raised my max HR a couple beats from last year too, attribute that to starting the challenge early this year, got in a few more runs than last year at this time. So all is good to go, now have to do some doubles to get back on track, and try to hit that first page again!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Randy, just a heads up, I plan to catch up with you tomorrow. I took some days off and now I’m doing my favorite thing: chasing. I have my eyes on you!

: )

YAY Jane!!!! I fully anticipate you to zip right past me and into a ranking that starts with a 1 instead of a 2

I've been able to hang on at the back part of Silver Medal eligibility, while still taking appropriate rest days and haven't yet slipped so far back that doubles are required

Existence Is Futile
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Acorn Slippers? Didn't see that one coming - loL!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Acorn Slippers? Didn't see that one coming - loL!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3MW0L4

Slightly faster than VaporFly 4% but a little slower than Next%

Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge - Advanced Analytics: Data | Graphs
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx, PF is noticeably better now compared with two months ago. But being proactive and taking a week off for a sore ankle deltoid? ligament. Two steps forward and one backwards...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I'm with bluestacks. You aren't alone, I scrolled through the top50 also. Most looked like misunderstandings of the rulz.

No reason to drop out. Just delete the non-compliant runs---And keep on truckin'.

The only real consequence is that you've forfeited your rights to all the prize money.

Or just mention which runs they are to me and I can keep the record but pull the particular entry out of the challenge. BTW.

I was thinking of having a query or a page where I can check them (the regular leaderboard doesn't because it'd be too slow with all the bazillions of y'all on there) -- before the end.

In any case, no need to delete records (they'll come back from Strava anyway).

Thanks all,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I have done my 50th "run" today (two "in the tank", I think), although all of these "runs" have been honest-effort walk-runs. I had been hampered from running by problems with my achilles-tendons for some years.

The first power-walks contained only ONE 30-second-interval of running. Later I did two, then three and then more and more 30-second-intervals of running every five minutes of walking; I have changed that to running for 30 seconds every two minutes for a while now.

The surprising thing is: This little volume and low intensity has been exhausting! I felt tired after some weeks of doing this very modest training. My tendons didn´t respond the way I had imagined: They did hurt, they were stiff, especially in the mornings, and my running-gait, which seemed to be nice, fast, "round" and springy in the first walk-runs, became a stiff shuffle - just the way I had been running for the last years before the tendons had finally stopped me.
My original plan for the 100/100-challenge had been to extend the running intervals to 45 sec. and then a minute etc. untill I would finally run for 30 minutes. But with this hobble-gait I didn´t want to do that. So I sticked with the 30 seconds, tried to focus on form, step-frequency, mid-foot striking etc.

At the half-time of the challenge I am nowhere near I had hoped to be at that point. But these hopes were probably idle to start with. The achievement is: Six weeks ago I was not running at all; fifty runs ago I could do ONE 30-second-interval, now I do up to 20. That is good!

And today - for the first time in weeks - the running intervals felt like real running again. Today I could believe in my return to running, believe in me one day running the 10k of an oly tri again.

So thank you again for this challenge! And forza and go-for-it to all the STers for the second half of it!
Last edited by: Heidelfix: Jan 17, 20 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Randy, just a heads up, I plan to catch up with you tomorrow. I took some days off and now I’m doing my favorite thing: chasing. I have my eyes on you!

: )


YAY Jane!!!! I fully anticipate you to zip right past me and into a ranking that starts with a 1 instead of a 2

I sat down for just a second and you zoomed right on by!!!

Good job!!!

Existence Is Futile
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Heidelfix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's amazing Heidelfix - good for you! Don't push it too hard; you've ramped up quite a bit, so perhaps taking a lower-volume week would be appropriate to let your body catch up. Even though you feel that the training is modest, you're literally doing 2,000% as much running per session as you were just a few weeks ago!

Keep the faith that you'll get your 30 straight minutes in by springtime, and see that 10k Olympic run soon - you're doing awesome things already!

__________________________________________________________
ill advised racing inc.
Quote Reply

Prev Next