Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good going! i had a sore throat overnight and all day, 3 days ago, so took my first day off. but was good the next day, so, 2 days of running and then shot a birdie today to get back on par. hope i didn't injure myself. we'll see.

I didnt have the sore throat, but you knew I had to spend all night in the emergency room a few nights ago, but had to go back again yesterday too!! If I don't get ebola, it will be a miracle, but little guy seems to be pulling out of his nose dive. His greatest fear is to be sick at Xmas, the biggest play day of the year.


So I took yesterday completely off of any training, 1st day in over 5 1/2 weeks. Got down to sea level today and felt great on the treadmill, so did some weights, a little swimming, and then hit that shit hard again for my birdie!!! Saw you pulling up on me in the standings, so decided to try and put some distance, but you are drafting my ass like a Mofo..


5 days in the mountains for Xmas now, supposed to snow like a SOB tomorrow, so could be some room for you to catch up. I just hope I can make it to the cabin, once there its all good..


Merry Xmas to all the runners out there, you can take it easy and bag a day here and there, you have my permission... (-;

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pace for the 26.2 is probably going to be 6:45-6:50. That'd be a good first 26.2 for me. //

I think you are selling your pace for the marathon a bit short. I think you could hit 6;30 pace looking at your run training. Pop in a couple 15 to 18 milers at near that pace and I bet you could do it. If you are a bit too worried, then go out in 6;35 to 6;40 pace for about 12 miles, evaluate how you feel, and then negative split the 1/2's to bring the average pace down. Probably the best way to run it, but sometimes just going out and racing from the gun is also a way to surprise yourself...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
The pace for the 26.2 is probably going to be 6:45-6:50. That'd be a good first 26.2 for me. //

I think you are selling your pace for the marathon a bit short. I think you could hit 6;30 pace looking at your run training. Pop in a couple 15 to 18 milers at near that pace and I bet you could do it. If you are a bit too worried, then go out in 6;35 to 6;40 pace for about 12 miles, evaluate how you feel, and then negative split the 1/2's to bring the average pace down. Probably the best way to run it, but sometimes just going out and racing from the gun is also a way to surprise yourself...

Thanks, monty - these are some good things to consider. I was thinking of starting at 6:20-6:30 and then seeing how things go. I’ll have a much clearer idea when the date gets closer, but I’m visualizing something like that right now. It should be a fun race.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finished my 10k yesterday. Didn't meet my time goal... But finished 3rd OA, 1st AG. Long story that I detailed in that thread.

Doubled up last night after dinner to get within 1 of par. Ran this AM... did a bunch of Xmas shopping during the day... and just finished another double to get back to par. Quads are quite sore from the 10k, but running feels "ok" after I get warmed up. I'm back on the front page.

I'm gonna try and bank a couple before we hit Xmas... Given that we are doing Xmas morning at my sister's and dinner at my parents, I doubt I'll get a chance to sneak in a quick 30 on that day.

ETA: I just realized I hit my run goal for 2019. I didn't expect it would take until December to hit 1200 miles for the year. But, taking May-August off kinda slowed my progress way down.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 22, 19 16:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping to post a weekly update, but I am a bit behind. Below is a recap of my first three weeks.

TLDR: Eveything hurts and I might have to stop soon.

When I first read that the challenge was starting early this year on December 1st, I didn't really mind one way or the other. I had just run my marathon PR of 3:16:17 on November 10th and had plenty of time to recover. I had not given it much thought this year about entering the 100/100 but with the early start date I had to decide soon. When I lock in to something, I LOCK IN. I think it was around two weeks before it started that I finally committed mentally. I then decided if I do this, I need to go big this year and build on lessons learned from last year. I learned a lot last year about recovery and injury prevention. I also gained some fitness since last year. I decided the cheap tablet was not going to cut it. If I was going to live in my garage running on a treadmill for three months, then I needed to plan and have some luxuries.

The next few days I got busy preparing. I cleaned my garage. It was so full of clutter I could barely walk in it. I cleaned up my work bench area and organized all my tools. I installed hooks and hung the kid's bikes from the ceiling. I moved the 32-inch TV from my bedroom and mounted it on the wall in the garage smack dab in front of the treadmill at eye level. I moved the Amazon Fire TV box as well. I tested Zwift on my cheap laptop and was lucky that it was able to run on my poor hardware. I went to the track and calibrated my foot pod that I never used. I got Zwift fully up and running. I drilled a hole through the floor and ran Ethernet cable from my modem to the garage and put a hub there to split the cables. If I was going to stream video and use Zwift, then I wanted lightning fast internet and not have to worry about Wi-Fi speeds. I researched movies and TV shows. I built playlists on Netflix, Prime, and YouTube. I cleaned and lubed my treadmill. I installed a laptop arm on my workbench allowing my Zwift laptop to swing out over top of the treadmill. It centered perfectly under the TV and would not vibrate from the pounding on the treadmill.

I've been keeping an extensive spreadsheet log/journal to document every run. For each run I've been tracking things like start time, end time, hours since last run, physical pain, mental state, shoe, treatment after etc. I've also been tracking sleep.

Full disclaimer: These runs I am doing are soft (soft for me given my current ability). Almost all my runs are on a treadmill and almost always the bare minimum of either 3 miles or 30 minutes. Intensity is very, very low. I am running on Zwift under the name B. luestacks (Slowtwitch.com) If anyone wants to follow each other just add me and I will add you back.

----------------------------------------

Week 1: 43 runs, 129.9 mi, 18.2 hours

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (right), moderate
Cuboid syndrome (right), severe
Achilles tendinitis (left), very mild
Plantar Fasciitis (right), very mild

Day 1: 12 runs | 36.2 mi
Day 2: 6 runs | 18.1 mi
Day 3: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 4: 6 runs | 18.0 mi
Day 5: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 6: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 7: 6 runs | 18.3 mi

Last year I completed 10 runs on day one and I wanted to best myself and go for 12 this year. I set my alarm for 5 AM. I basically woke up and ran all day with exactly one hour between each run. 12 runs took me to almost 10 PM. My very first run of the day I already had sore calves as I was not fully recovered from a turkey trot three days prior. I also ran with too much intensity on day one. It was almost like a marathon where I always go out too fast the first few miles and pay for it later.

Starting on day two I began to battle Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner's knee) in my right knee. Cuboid syndrome in my right foot started on day three. I had excruciating pain on the outside of my right foot while wearing shoes. I troubleshooted for a bit and decided that the only way forward was to ditch the shoes. I began running in socks.

Achilles tendinitis (left) showed itself briefly on day four and five as well as the slightest hint of Plantar Fasciitis (right) day five. I believe they were both caused by the sudden shock to my feet by running without shoes for the first time ever. They both eventually went away as I got used to running barefoot. Treatment for the week included a lot of stretching, massage gun, compression, ice, and a foot roller.

On day seven I went to Rite Aid and purchased a knee brace. I never had one before, but it was worth a shot because my runner’s knee was getting serious.

----------------------------------------

Week 2: 33 runs, 100.4 mi, 13.9 hours

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (right), moderate
Cuboid syndrome (right), severe
Stomach bug, yuck

Day 8: 4 runs | 12.6 mi
Day 9: 2 runs | 6.2 mi
Day 10: 4 runs | 12.2 mi
Day 11: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 12: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 13: 6 runs | 18.1 mi
Day 14: 7 runs | 21.1 mi

On day 9 I finally came down with the stomach bug that was jumping through my family. I was able to get two runs in before the nausea hit me. I went to bed early and slept FOURTEEN hours.

I struggled with runner's knee all week, but the knee brace seemed to help keep it from getting worse. I ran barefoot with the knee brace most of the week.

Because I ditched my shoes, I could no longer run on Zwift without the foot pod. That got me brainstorming. Finally, on day 12 I returned to Zwift, running with a foot pod taped to my slippers. Running in slippers on a treadmill is quite comfortable. The memory phone helped protect my feet from the impact even though the treadmill is pretty forgiving to begin with.

On day 13 I went to a foot doctor to have my Cuboid syndrome checked out. I wanted to make sure that the pain I still had while wearing shoes was damage from external rubbing and not from the stress of over doubling my weekly mileage. The X-rays looked okay. The doctor did want it on record that I should take two weeks off to be safe. If I did have to keep running, I needed to monitor things closely and be ready to shut it down as soon as things got worse. He also helped me adjust my mechanics to help take stress off my cuboid joint area.

Aggressive treatment continued all week (knee brace, stretching, massage gun, compression, ice, and foot roller).

----------------------------------------

Week 3: 48 runs, 144.7 mi, 19.7 hours

Cuboid syndrome (right), moderate
Metatarsalgia (left), very mild
Plantar Fasciitis (left), very mild
Capsulitis (left 2nd toe), moderate

Day 15: 9 runs | 27.2 mi
Day 16: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 17: 7 runs | 21.1 mi
Day 18: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 19: 7 runs | 21.1 mi
Day 20: 7 runs | 21.1 mi
Day 21: 8 runs | 24.1 mi

My runner's knee finally went away this week. I ran all week in slippers and continued using the knee brace. I have not tried wearing shoes yet. I took a half day off at work on two of the weekdays and was able to string together massive week. I basically logged as many runs that were physically possible beyond sleep, work, and the required 1-hour rest.

My body is paying the price. Everything hurts. Both physically and mentally I have been at my worst these past few days. A new injury is showing itself. I have learned that Capsulitis is inflammation of the ligaments surrounding the joint and base of the toe. It is most coming in the second toe and that happens to be where mine is. I am starting aggressive treatment, but I fear this could be the most serious injury yet. I am not sure this is something that I can run through without getting worse. I am going to monitor it very closely and be safe by stopping if it starts to get worse. I will be hosting family next week on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. We are also traveling to my in-laws Friday through Monday. It will be a small running week and I am going to take the time to continue treatment and try to heal up. My motto lately comes from my favorite movie and favorite character, Lieutenant Dan. "Protect your feet, and don't do anything stupid".

Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge - Advanced Analytics: Data | Graphs
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Finished my 10k yesterday. Didn't meet my time goal... But finished 3rd OA, 1st AG. Long story that I detailed in that thread.

Doubled up last night after dinner to get within 1 of par. Ran this AM... did a bunch of Xmas shopping during the day... and just finished another double to get back to par. Quads are quite sore from the 10k, but running feels "ok" after I get warmed up. I'm back on the front page.

I'm gonna try and bank a couple before we hit Xmas... Given that we are doing Xmas morning at my sister's and dinner at my parents, I doubt I'll get a chance to sneak in a quick 30 on that day.

ETA: I just realized I hit my run goal for 2019. I didn't expect it would take until December to hit 1200 miles for the year. But, taking May-August off kinda slowed my progress way down.

Awesome, congrats Tom!

Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge - Advanced Analytics: Data | Graphs
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
monty wrote:
The pace for the 26.2 is probably going to be 6:45-6:50. That'd be a good first 26.2 for me. //

I think you are selling your pace for the marathon a bit short. I think you could hit 6;30 pace looking at your run training. Pop in a couple 15 to 18 milers at near that pace and I bet you could do it. If you are a bit too worried, then go out in 6;35 to 6;40 pace for about 12 miles, evaluate how you feel, and then negative split the 1/2's to bring the average pace down. Probably the best way to run it, but sometimes just going out and racing from the gun is also a way to surprise yourself...


Thanks, monty - these are some good things to consider. I was thinking of starting at 6:20-6:30 and then seeing how things go. I’ll have a much clearer idea when the date gets closer, but I’m visualizing something like that right now. It should be a fun race.

I've been stalking you Strava, you will do great! My biggest failure was not doing chunks of my long runs at race pace. You have the speed easily, hopefully you can hold on.

Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge - Advanced Analytics: Data | Graphs
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Happy to be a 50-something just barely behind the two 20-somethings on the podium. Next time they'll be the ones on the lower steps. >:+}
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 22, 19 16:32
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
I've been stalking you Strava, you will do great! My biggest failure was not doing chunks of my long runs at race pace. You have the speed easily, hopefully you can hold on.

Thanks bluestacks! I'm definitely improving. I'm thinking of stringing a bunch of 3mi sessions together at race pace to prepare in Jan + Feb. I did 6x one day the week we started the challenge and think I could go up to 7x or 8x at race pace. I'll have to be deliberate and plan some long sessions at race pace as well - that's a good point.

After seeing you string so many sessions together, it definitely was inspiring. That day I did 6x, I was pretty beat on the 5th one and was just out of it on the treadmill. I had to take a salt bath and reset before the 6th. It was draining too. The effect for me of a lot of sessions felt like coming off a long swim.

I know what you mean about getting organized to streamline the logistics. I'm prepping for a heavy cycling week starting 12:01am 12/24 - 11:59pm 12/31 (8 days - Rapha) and the amount of calories I'm going to be burning will be insane and I've just stocked up all my bread, milk, La Croix, eggs, Gatorade, gels, coffee, etc etc. it should be fun. I'm probably going to be looking forward to a light jog on New Years Day coming off the bike. I might be able to fit some runs in during the week, but either way plan on coming back hard for some fun 26.2 prep in 3mi increments after New Years...

Cheers

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
I was hoping to post a weekly update, but I am a bit behind. Below is a recap of my first three weeks.

TLDR: Eveything hurts and I might have to stop soon.

When I first read that the challenge was starting early this year on December 1st, I didn't really mind one way or the other. I had just run my marathon PR of 3:16:17 on November 10th and had plenty of time to recover. I had not given it much thought this year about entering the 100/100 but with the early start date I had to decide soon. When I lock in to something, I LOCK IN. I think it was around two weeks before it started that I finally committed mentally. I then decided if I do this, I need to go big this year and build on lessons learned from last year. I learned a lot last year about recovery and injury prevention. I also gained some fitness since last year. I decided the cheap tablet was not going to cut it. If I was going to live in my garage running on a treadmill for three months, then I needed to plan and have some luxuries.

The next few days I got busy preparing. I cleaned my garage. It was so full of clutter I could barely walk in it. I cleaned up my work bench area and organized all my tools. I installed hooks and hung the kid's bikes from the ceiling. I moved the 32-inch TV from my bedroom and mounted it on the wall in the garage smack dab in front of the treadmill at eye level. I moved the Amazon Fire TV box as well. I tested Zwift on my cheap laptop and was lucky that it was able to run on my poor hardware. I went to the track and calibrated my foot pod that I never used. I got Zwift fully up and running. I drilled a hole through the floor and ran Ethernet cable from my modem to the garage and put a hub there to split the cables. If I was going to stream video and use Zwift, then I wanted lightning fast internet and not have to worry about Wi-Fi speeds. I researched movies and TV shows. I built playlists on Netflix, Prime, and YouTube. I cleaned and lubed my treadmill. I installed a laptop arm on my workbench allowing my Zwift laptop to swing out over top of the treadmill. It centered perfectly under the TV and would not vibrate from the pounding on the treadmill.

I've been keeping an extensive spreadsheet log/journal to document every run. For each run I've been tracking things like start time, end time, hours since last run, physical pain, mental state, shoe, treatment after etc. I've also been tracking sleep.

Full disclaimer: These runs I am doing are soft (soft for me given my current ability). Almost all my runs are on a treadmill and almost always the bare minimum of either 3 miles or 30 minutes. Intensity is very, very low. I am running on Zwift under the name B. luestacks (Slowtwitch.com) If anyone wants to follow each other just add me and I will add you back.

----------------------------------------

Week 1: 43 runs, 129.9 mi, 18.2 hours

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (right), moderate
Cuboid syndrome (right), severe
Achilles tendinitis (left), very mild
Plantar Fasciitis (right), very mild

Day 1: 12 runs | 36.2 mi
Day 2: 6 runs | 18.1 mi
Day 3: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 4: 6 runs | 18.0 mi
Day 5: 4 runs | 12.1 mi
Day 6: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 7: 6 runs | 18.3 mi

Last year I completed 10 runs on day one and I wanted to best myself and go for 12 this year. I set my alarm for 5 AM. I basically woke up and ran all day with exactly one hour between each run. 12 runs took me to almost 10 PM. My very first run of the day I already had sore calves as I was not fully recovered from a turkey trot three days prior. I also ran with too much intensity on day one. It was almost like a marathon where I always go out too fast the first few miles and pay for it later.

Starting on day two I began to battle Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner's knee) in my right knee. Cuboid syndrome in my right foot started on day three. I had excruciating pain on the outside of my right foot while wearing shoes. I troubleshooted for a bit and decided that the only way forward was to ditch the shoes. I began running in socks.

Achilles tendinitis (left) showed itself briefly on day four and five as well as the slightest hint of Plantar Fasciitis (right) day five. I believe they were both caused by the sudden shock to my feet by running without shoes for the first time ever. They both eventually went away as I got used to running barefoot. Treatment for the week included a lot of stretching, massage gun, compression, ice, and a foot roller.

On day seven I went to Rite Aid and purchased a knee brace. I never had one before, but it was worth a shot because my runner’s knee was getting serious.

----------------------------------------

Week 2: 33 runs, 100.4 mi, 13.9 hours

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (right), moderate
Cuboid syndrome (right), severe
Stomach bug, yuck

Day 8: 4 runs | 12.6 mi
Day 9: 2 runs | 6.2 mi
Day 10: 4 runs | 12.2 mi
Day 11: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 12: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 13: 6 runs | 18.1 mi
Day 14: 7 runs | 21.1 mi

On day 9 I finally came down with the stomach bug that was jumping through my family. I was able to get two runs in before the nausea hit me. I went to bed early and slept FOURTEEN hours.

I struggled with runner's knee all week, but the knee brace seemed to help keep it from getting worse. I ran barefoot with the knee brace most of the week.

Because I ditched my shoes, I could no longer run on Zwift without the foot pod. That got me brainstorming. Finally, on day 12 I returned to Zwift, running with a foot pod taped to my slippers. Running in slippers on a treadmill is quite comfortable. The memory phone helped protect my feet from the impact even though the treadmill is pretty forgiving to begin with.

On day 13 I went to a foot doctor to have my Cuboid syndrome checked out. I wanted to make sure that the pain I still had while wearing shoes was damage from external rubbing and not from the stress of over doubling my weekly mileage. The X-rays looked okay. The doctor did want it on record that I should take two weeks off to be safe. If I did have to keep running, I needed to monitor things closely and be ready to shut it down as soon as things got worse. He also helped me adjust my mechanics to help take stress off my cuboid joint area.

Aggressive treatment continued all week (knee brace, stretching, massage gun, compression, ice, and foot roller).

----------------------------------------

Week 3: 48 runs, 144.7 mi, 19.7 hours

Cuboid syndrome (right), moderate
Metatarsalgia (left), very mild
Plantar Fasciitis (left), very mild
Capsulitis (left 2nd toe), moderate

Day 15: 9 runs | 27.2 mi
Day 16: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 17: 7 runs | 21.1 mi
Day 18: 5 runs | 15.1 mi
Day 19: 7 runs | 21.1 mi
Day 20: 7 runs | 21.1 mi
Day 21: 8 runs | 24.1 mi

My runner's knee finally went away this week. I ran all week in slippers and continued using the knee brace. I have not tried wearing shoes yet. I took a half day off at work on two of the weekdays and was able to string together massive week. I basically logged as many runs that were physically possible beyond sleep, work, and the required 1-hour rest.

My body is paying the price. Everything hurts. Both physically and mentally I have been at my worst these past few days. A new injury is showing itself. I have learned that Capsulitis is inflammation of the ligaments surrounding the joint and base of the toe. It is most coming in the second toe and that happens to be where mine is. I am starting aggressive treatment, but I fear this could be the most serious injury yet. I am not sure this is something that I can run through without getting worse. I am going to monitor it very closely and be safe by stopping if it starts to get worse. I will be hosting family next week on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. We are also traveling to my in-laws Friday through Monday. It will be a small running week and I am going to take the time to continue treatment and try to heal up. My motto lately comes from my favorite movie and favorite character, Lieutenant Dan. "Protect your feet, and don't do anything stupid".


This is hardcore AF!!! I love it... Nice job bluestacks.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look at what Tim O'Donnell wrote about his breakthrough run in Kona (first time for him under 2:50) off the least amount of run fitness he has had due to an injury in the lead up to Kona, he mentioned that what he gained by being injured was swim+bike fitness, which allowed him to access a higher percentage of his reduced run fitness for a faster overall time and faster overall run, BUT he said that at some point in the year you have to put the run work in.

So clearly with these 200+ km weeks you are getting the work in and it will be great to see how this translates into improvements later in the year. You would likely do very well in an ultra!

I should also say, as the guy who started this challenge in 2006, I am always less interested in the number of runs people do and more interested in the real metrics that a running coach would care about: distance run/time/intensity because this is what really builds a run base.....you are running over 200km per week. This is getting pretty serious and you said your intensity is low, but its not. Your average pace is 5:09 per km and your open marathon pace is 3:16. This is a 3:47 marathon pace, which is still reasonably fast relative to your open given that you are running 200km per week at this pace. Well done. 18 hrs per week of running is really solid.

I am curious if you are losing weight in the process or potentially gaining (sometimes people gain because they over eat and their hormones are all out of whack).

Now in the time I typed all of this, I wasted 10 minutes which I should have spent running.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny how this challenge was helpful today. Yesterday I had a pretty big training day that was 70 min each of running and hard XC skiing (first outing of the year) and then in the afternoon I did a hard 3900m swim with the main set as 10x200m IM on 4:10. I could barely move last night as all the training was decently high intensity. This morning, I was going to take it off as I have big swim set later today (target 10x400IM in prep for a 10,000IM day before Xmas). But after reading the Bluestack report, I sucked it up and went out and did a nice 7.5km steady run. So I am 23/23 and my average run distance is closing in on 8 km.

When I first did this challenge in 2006 I did 100 days straight and averaged a touch over 10km. I did 102 runs in 100 days but never missed a day. I have already missed two days on this challenge and I would imagine that I should be missing more as I really need to bike more before the Dubai 70.3 in Feb, but I am feeling like I am getting sucked into running more, which probably is not such a bad thing as that is my weakest sport in the triathlons that I started doing again last summer after a 4 year hiatus.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Past several days I've had the first inklings of plantar fasciitis.

Still running, keeping time and distance to the challenge minimum, spending a lot of rolling my foot on a golf ball and hoping I can manage it for the next 77 days. Might need to layoff a bit to make sure my foot is in good shape for IM training by late February. Fingers crossed. Really don't want to give up on this challenge 23 days in...

but also, really don't want to mess up my first attempt at a European IM next summer! Though if I was forced to spend two weeks drinking and convorting across Europe with my wife instead of IM prepping most the time, that would be fine. Kinda. Not really.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ugh - dry January cant come soon enough
the last week has been a complete bust
christmas season is a hard slog
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty, so last night I was stuck in the office till 9 pm and back here at 6 am for a conf call. My plan yesterday was to do a 10x400IM test set on 8:20 departure, but it never happened due to work, after the conf call this morning, I headed to the pool only to find it was not opening till 8:30 am, so It was minus 8C outside and I am standing there in my jeans an winter jacket, so I just ended up jogging 33 minutes in that clothing (thankfully when it is cold, you can run in anything and not sweat)/. So then it was into the pool for the 10x400IM test set. Generally I was getting 40 seconds of rest but by the last two I was down to 25-30 seconds, but by that point I was into 2 hrs of training with zero nutrition. I THINK I can hold 8:20 for 25x400IM (If I can pull it off, on Dec 27th)....so that will be a day off from this running challenge as its a 3:30 swimming day if I can hit my target departure time. I know it is the wrong thread to talk about a swim set, but the main point is I was at the pool 35 minutes before it was opening, so I could just wait in the cold and play with my phone or run....so I ran and am now 24/24.

Not sure I can do the 25x400IM, but I THINK it is the realm of possibility. If I end up fading I'll revert to 200's and try to hold 4:10 departure for those.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's run was #27 and I have to say that I am starting to feel the fatigue build in my body.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Merry Christmas (or whatever holiday you celibrate) runners! Hope you have a graat day.... And get your runs in... If you can manage to get away.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 24, 19 21:54
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Merry Christmas to all. Christmas run done. A huge thanks to everyone for doing this challenge. I never would have got anywhere near this far without a group of crazy online triathletes to do this with. Stay in the fight!
Will
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one slow but steady run a day -- 25 % finished. wooot hooot. Do you have fresh snow on the ground? I assume you do -- a beautiful sight on the high desert. pic?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I see it about 6km missing from my total. I believe because they were under 5k and 30 minutes.... speed sessions of 5-15 min. I dont care that they dont count for run total count, but would like the kilometers and pace to be there. (makes me skeptical for those people doing split days.... 10 min one day and 50 the next... did it count as 2 runs?)


http://www.coupleofathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Santa burned his Christmas cookies! Merry Christmas all. Great work, I'm enjoying watching the updates.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to manually adjust split days. The system doesn't autstically adjust for durations less than 30min. The few times I do this I just move the time...i add XX min to a short run to make it 30min and subtract XX min from a long run to compensate. That keeps the distance and the average pace the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coyote pelon wrote:
one slow but steady run a day -- 25 % finished. wooot hooot. Do you have fresh snow on the ground? I assume you do -- a beautiful sight on the high desert. pic?

Xmas present for me was hitting 25/25 with a hill/interval 12K day with some friends in the morning and afternoon was a 28K skate ski. I can't believe that I am even doing these two sports again. Its awesome! I feel I should be able to get to 100/100. All body systems intact (or at least working), and no niggles. Most days if I want I can do 8-12 km now. 5-6km is my "bailout total" if I want to just log one that counts. Fingers crossed.

My big takeaway from the challenge from 2006, was "leave enough in the tank so you feel you could run 5km more today if you life depended on it, but don't run that 5km....save some energy for life today and tomorrow's run"
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
You have to manually adjust split days. The system doesn't autstically adjust for durations less than 30min. The few times I do this I just move the time...i add XX min to a short run to make it 30min and subtract XX min from a long run to compensate. That keeps the distance and the average pace the same.

thanks.


absolute misery today. got my 30 min at sub 5km pace in 45* flooding rain with gusty wind that took wind chill to sub 40 for sure. Looking forward to a better day tomorrow


http://www.coupleofathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
37 runs in 25 days and the ghost of injuries past finally caught me on Christmas Day!
Quote Reply

Prev Next