Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [flychris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm digging the 100/100. Just in the early runs the health benefits are extraordinary. I have never sweated so much. (I've come to appreciate sweating, after a few sessions of hot yoga). It's a must have for the circulatory system imo.

However, I have no idea if something will breakdown as I am in uncharted territory with daily running, and going a bit deeper with each run than I typically would. So far so good tho.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [PeterP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeterP wrote:
Are the results to last year's challenge available? I'd like to see what the success rate was.

Hey, Peter. Aaaaaaalmost. I'll add a way to see old challenges.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [flychris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flychris wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
OK back to the running....this morning 15 min treadmill shuffle then over to the dentist office, then from there over to our company bankers (at this point, my mind is half on the bank balance and depositing an investor cheque...yaaaay....and the other part of my brain is plotting how I will get another 15 min run in during the day to get to run number 3)....so after that, I it was straight to the gym for a swim, but then I did a detour to the gym and did 7 min Woodway curve treadmill run + 10 min hard row with 1000m interval at 220-230W + 8 min Woodway Curve run + 10 min hard row with a 1000m interval at 230W-260W....then back to the Woodway curve for 10 min run back on the Woodway Curve and I found myself writing cheques that my body is not ready for but what the heck, I pulled out my inner FloJo sprinter technique for a few short surges....

total running for the day 15+7+8+10 = 40 min!!!!!

So run number 3 is in broken up in 4 legs, but whatever it takes!!!

Always feels good chasing a cheque! Congrats!

And way to go on the run too!

Ok putting aside that it was 1988 and pretty well everyone in sprinting was nicely enhanced, this video of FloJo sprinting is really worth the watch from a techical perspective. I can't think of a single runner in history with as perfect form. Her knee lift and hamstring engagement are terrific when she does the 10:49 + 21.56 gold medal double

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

When I was actually doing real runner running, often during 100/100 I would end many runs with 10x{20 second acceleration+40 seconds jogging}. It resulted in ending every run with really good form

....speaking of ending runs in good form, so I clicked on an associated link to the above of FloJo's double, and you see a beautiful anchor leg from Evelyn Ashford who starts behind the East Germans and then closes the deal in the final 15 meters for the gold:

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

When I was actually doing real runner running, often during 100/100 I would end many runs with 10x{20 second acceleration+40 seconds jogging}. It resulted in ending every run with really good form

I did 8 of those exact (20 second accelerations + 40 seconds jogging) at the end of a run a couple days ago. I'm going to make myself do more of it, I think there's some benefit as well to engaging your fast twitch muscles after running mostly easy??
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
How come I don't see this special icon? Bkuestack and mcclandon both show NO icon.

I just uploaded them. Full refresh (ctrl-alt-R) should pull the new file.

-E

Can you please explain the icons overall? I thought the trophy was for platinum (being on target for 1/1), but I and the other people with 6 runs now on day 6 show a gold medal instead, and the trophy is for 7+ (other than psychoman, of course).

Not whining, I just like to understand how things work and I thought I had it figured out but now clearly do not.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ianpeace wrote:
Okay, I'm all for getting a jump on the 100/100 and putting a few in the bank but Bluestack is a 7 already and it's 2 in the afternoon on day 1. Srsly!

what happens on day 1 doesn't matter. or on day 20. what matters is what happens on day 80. what i have planned is to be well behind by the halfway point. but to make big headway in the last 40 days.

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qj0RrSmQEo
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Can you please explain the icons overall? I thought the trophy was for platinum (being on target for 1/1), but I and the other people with 6 runs now on day 6 show a gold medal instead, and the trophy is for 7+ (other than psychoman, of course).

Not whining, I just like to understand how things work and I thought I had it figured out but now clearly do not.

Yeah. There's a couple of special ones for way over 100%. If you are OVER 100%, you get a gold cup.

If you are between 90 and 100%, you get a gold medal. 80-90%, a silver medal, and 70-80%, a bronze medal.

So we're trying to get the gold medal, right?

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Toby wrote:

Yeah. There's a couple of special ones for way over 100%. If you are OVER 100%, you get a gold cup.

If you are between 90 and 100%, you get a gold medal. 80-90%, a silver medal, and 70-80%, a bronze medal.

So we're trying to get the gold medal, right?

-Eric

Gotcha, that does match what I see now. Was there a reason that it used to be different? Also, is there a reason it's not set to match the rules, where being on pace for 100/100 is platinum? I assumed that was what the gold cup was for (platinum), and the medals matched >.7, >.8, >.9.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Gotcha, that does match what I see now. Was there a reason that it used to be different? Also, is there a reason it's not set to match the rules, where being on pace for 100/100 is platinum? I assumed that was what the gold cup was for (platinum), and the medals matched >.7, >.8, >.9.

It's a simple if statement, so it's easy to adjust further. What does everyone think? Did my recent fiddlin' mess it up?

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Toby wrote:

It's a simple if statement, so it's easy to adjust further. What does everyone think? Did my recent fiddlin' mess it up?

-Eric

I like what you've done!
Good job Eric.

edited to add:
split my usual hour run today, to gain an extra 'session' in the challenge-made up for yesterday's 0 and the back is still feeling OK
plenty of time to get more ...I even filled the hour of 'waiting' with ~30 min Zwift Bike race, with a short w/u and cool down
Last edited by: dtoce: Dec 20, 18 14:58
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bsmak24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bsmak24 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I did 8 of those exact (20 second accelerations + 40 seconds jogging) at the end of a run a couple days ago. I'm going to make myself do more of it, I think there's some benefit as well to engaging your fast twitch muscles after running mostly easy??

You end up with more forceful muscle contractions and range of motion by doing these accelerations without having to deal with the recovery penalty of longer intervals. When you do mostly base you never really get to do this.....it's also a great prep for when you wanat to add intervals. The problem a lot of people have when they add intervals after a long period of base is that the entire range of motion and force application has been low. Now they are suddenly doing it, but for much longer duration (ex, someone doing 400m intervals say in 90 seconds basically having to clear lactate after say 12-15 seconds, and is carrying this for the next 75 seconds....when you do 20 second accelerations, its barely a few seconds before you are back into recovery.

so 10x20 seconds you only deal with 50 seconds cumulatively "in distress". That's 200 seconds of "intervals" with only 50 seconds where you are hurting. If you do two 400m intervals, it's more like 160 seconds where you are dealing with declining coordination due to aerobic distress (which is when people get injured). So these acceleration tend to be really safe during a long base block, but one still have to build into them.

Another option that I like is 2 treadmills at a gym beside each other. Both rolling at IM race pace, but one of them stuck at 10-15% grade the other at zero.....20 seconds on the hill, then 40 seconds jogging on the flat one. But you need an empty gym and a treadmill that does not auto shut off if it detects no runner in a short period. When that happens, I have gone to 10 seconds on the steep one, 20 seconds on the flat one....usually that is enough to keep both from shutting off.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
Toby wrote:

-Eric

I like what you've done!
Good job Eric.

edited to add:
split my usual hour run today, to gain an extra 'session' in the challenge-made up for yesterday's 0 and the back is still feeling OK
plenty of time to get more ...I even filled the hour of 'waiting' with ~30 min Zwift Bike race, with a short w/u and cool down

Ah....see this is why that "rule" was created back in 2008. It was exactly so that after getting on the trainer people would be encouraged to add those transition runs and then those 10 min transition runs kind of grow up to 30 minutes!!!! Well done
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
Toby wrote:

-Eric

I'm not proud. I for one miss my tiny little Platinum cup.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does playing soccer for 1-2 hours can count as one 30minutes run? Asking because a friend invite for some soccer tomorrow...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
dtoce wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
Toby wrote:

-Eric

I like what you've done!
Good job Eric.

edited to add:

Ah....see this is why that "rule" was created back in 2008. It was exactly so that after getting on the trainer people would be encouraged to add those transition runs and then those 10 min transition runs kind of grow up to 30 minutes!!!! Well done

Then I'm sure you'll be happy to know that what it's done for me is even though I was already running most days, my ~20 minute/ ~2.4 mile consistency runs became 30+ minutes and ~3.5 miles.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Jonny89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonny89 wrote:
Does playing soccer for 1-2 hours can count as one 30minutes run? Asking because a friend invite for some soccer tomorrow...

dev can answer that. he's our rules meister. but i would guess that he's going to say no.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Jonny89 wrote:

dev can answer that. he's our rules meister. but i would guess that he's going to say no.

I think if would count if you are doing >30 min of running during soccer during which both feet leave the ground on each stride and you're moving forward (jumping jacks or vertical jumping to head the ball technically would not call).

Have a look at some of last year's UEFA champion's league stats on distance covered per game. It includes walking, but most is running. Keep in mind there is a lot of walking and standing around and these guys are still averaging over 8 kph. :

Players covering the most distance: 2017/18 UEFA Champions LeaguePlayerTeamMetresMinutesm/minkm/h1EriksenTottenham37,935270140.58.432ZahidAPOEL39,614287138.038.283ElyounoussiBasel39,141286136.868.214GerkensAnderlecht35,600261136.48.185HamsikNapoli40,471298135.888.156ZielinskiNapoli23,997177135.588.137VrhovecMaribor34,921259134.838.098De BruyneMan. City48,052360133.488.019MkhitaryanMan. United37,976285133.257.9910SarabiaSevilla29,119219132.967.9811SaúlAtlético47,619360132.2757.96(...)Cristiano RonaldoReal Madrid36,870360102.416.15(...)MessiBarcelona29,80236082.784.97
In any case to answer what slowman was saying about enforcement of rules, if you can prove to yourself that you're running as much as these pro soccer players (and I would suggest that pros actually run less than amateurs because they know how to pace and how to use the ball), then you're likely doing 30 min of running....but we don't know for sure only you do
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 7/7 for the first week. I swam some too but here's just the running

Day 1: 3.6 mi easy
Day 2: 11 mi easy
Day 3: 4 mi moderate
Day 4: 6.2 mi easy
Day 5: 5 mi easy
Day 6: 4.3 mi run (1.5 mi @ 8:34 pace, 1.3 mi @ 8:27 pace)
Day 7: 12 mi run (8.3 @ 8:27 pace)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Help! No nitty gritty technical stuff, much as I enjoy reading it, just a basic request for feedback from those that have done this challenge before. Brief summary, age 55, approx 5 years of tri after 20 yrs of nothing much. Year on year improvement, all distances, mostly a completer (inwardly always competing) but focused on sprints this year which finally culminated in a roll down place for Glasgow. And it's been downhill from there. Post event / target achieved blues? Maybe. Finished the season with a Challenge Half in October, great fun but mostly sub par and done on residual fitness from the year. Fully accepted I was probably overdue a rest, have done this and kept any training low key with a poor attempt at some MAF running. The 100/100 arrived in the Inbox and I thought perfect - this is what I need. A target with no requirement for stress, an opportunity to try MAF again and whatever else happens at least build up some decent base. My problem is I'm 7/7 in and despite doing the bare minimum and keeping to an only just running sort of pace both HR and pace are moving in the wrong direction. Is it too early to jump ship? Should I just keep plugging away at this? Should I give up on the MAF and just run how I feel? Should I mix it up? Should I give up on the challenge and just revert back to normal winter run mix of maybe 1 intervals, 1 recovery, 1 long steady, with the occasional treadmill thrown in? I guess in a nutshell, can anyone give me a definitive "after x number of days/runs you should notice this or that". At the moment I feel reasonably confident I can keep the streak going, at least in the short term, it's more a question of should I? Is the steady HR drift (over days) just a normal consequence and building in an off day would bring it back? Any views welcome, even if it's just a MTFU. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a lot of mileage! What are you training for?

I’m 7/7 as well but all of my runs have been less than 5 miles and close to 35 minutes. This has already been a significant increase from an average of 20 miles per week to 26 for me. Hoping to slowly build that up to 35 by the end of the challenge!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [claypole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How often do you normally run before starting the 100/100? How many hours a week? If you haven't been doing 6-7x a week, it will take a while to adjust. Divide down you normal weekly volume into 7 days.

I'd consider taking a day off, and maybe slow down a touch more. Keep your hr low zone2 at the END of your runs.

Also, maybe consider taking advantage of the run less on one day and more the next rule. Eg 20m day1 + 40m day2 = 2x 30m.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Jonny89 wrote:

Play soccer with garmin, set it to auto start if you hit 10min mile pace or faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That’s a lot of mileage! What are you training for?

spring marathon

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are none so blind as those that will not see, cheers Tom for that simple reminder. Running SO slow and So short gives me the perception of doing nothing at all. But of course if you do the basic math of a 520 mile year = average 10 mile week I've suddenly gone to 25. I'm sure there's plenty of summer weeks where I've done 25 plus but this is starting off the back of nothing much at all. Normal pre season and non taper weeks is usually targeting something like 9hrs with a heavy bias to bike, but last 2-3 months has been more like 3-4hrs of whatever/whenever (mostly bike). And I wouldn't normally do much more than 3 runs a week unless I was temporarily focussed on a mileage build. And historically I've done everything high HR, not normally able to walk to a bus stop for less than 140, so a tad optimistic to suddenly think I can be jogging around in the 120/130s after a week of trying.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [claypole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
claypole wrote:
Post event / target achieved blues?

The 100/100 will help with this. You may feel the post-race blues after the 100/100. Plan your next challenge accordingly.

claypole wrote:
A target with no requirement for stress, an opportunity to try MAF again and whatever else happens at least build up some decent base.

No stress? I did the 100/100 last year and felt very stressed out by it. I had many worries: can I do it? Will I have time? Will I feel bad? The whole experience was better/easier than I anticipated. I'm less worried this year. Yes, you will get a decent base.

claypole wrote:
Is it too early to jump ship?

Yes.

claypole wrote:
Should I just keep plugging away at this?

Yes.

claypole wrote:
Should I give up on the MAF and just run how I feel?

Who is this MAF you keep referencing? Kind of run how you feel. Run at least 30 min. But run EASY if you feel like it. Run longer if you feel like it. Eat a donut as a reward afterward if you feel like it.

claypole wrote:
Should I mix it up?

Yes, that sounds fun!

claypole wrote:
Should I give up on the challenge and just revert back to normal winter run mix of maybe 1 intervals, 1 recovery, 1 long steady, with the occasional treadmill thrown in?

No. What?! No!

claypole wrote:
I guess in a nutshell, can anyone give me a definitive "after x number of days/runs you should notice this or that".

No definitive answer here. But I noticed I had a stiff-knees crisis at Day 25-ish. I ran for about a week with stiff knees at the outset of each run. I was embarrassed by my hobbling. It was like running on legs that wouldn't bend. I took ibuprofen for maybe 4 days and it went away.

At about Day 75 I gained confidence. I started trying doubles. It was not so bad! I tried triples! They were harder and I only did 2 of those. (I can't imagine 10 runs in a day. But now that the idea is out there, maybe it would be fun to try one day of it?!)

At the end, I had new muscles that stabilize my low back and hips. My running is still better from it.

I finished 108 runs in 100 days. Keep at it!
Quote Reply

Prev Next