Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Alabama Viking wrote:
Quite contrary to those who 'rank' from 36-100 now with 3 runs (just looking the American continent now, as it's easier to compare because of time zones). Those are 65 participants who seem to follow a more conventional training approach, with most of them logging a long run in the weekend, a focus run, and a recovery run.

I wish we could do a proper research study on this. Let everyone do a controlled half marathon (as much as that's possible), then after 100 days do a repeat. At that point use this goldmine of data to determine possible effectiveness of training programs.

Who would see most gains? The 100/100's? That one guy with 876/100? The big median with 81/100??

I already have the answer for you.

The most effective training plan if you can handle it and build up to it is 1 hour in the morning, 1 hour in the afternoon 6 days a week and 2 hours on Sunday for 339-40 at 20 kph average speed. This is roughly the top level macro Kenyan marathoner plan. It's basically the 185 runs out of 100 days for 3600km plan.

Most of us don't have the genetics to aspire to 2x per day all week like the Kenyans, but 2x per day is pretty standard for elite runners. The goal of the challenge is to get people to at least 1x per day. This does not preclude long runs, hills, track or days off. A conventional plan is not 3 runs per week. I am not sure how that even got into the triathlon vocabulary, just like 3x swims per week is a pretty bad swim plan.

I came from a track background doing 2x per day for Mon to Fri (most weeks) and a longer run on the weekend and a day off. Pretty well every swimmer on here did 2x per day their entire swimmer life. It's pretty proven that 2x is a pretty good approach where volume can be accrued, while getting intensity in, without totally trashing the body (if you were to do the same volume on 1x you'd deplete easily).

Whether it is 1x per day or 2x per day, it's going to be better than 3x per week. We don't need to get data to prove this. Coaches already figured this out in the 1960's in both running and swimming.

Now if people can intelligently use the challenge for a run focus (or in my case, I've been applying the approach for a multi year swim focus), then athletes MAY lift their game in running. Most who apply the challenge intelligently and listen to their bodies, they come out ahead off frequent running.

That is not the answer, because we don't have any pro runners on here (just assuming). I'm interested to see where the median lies for the average person interested in endurance sports. Like you, who is trying to get smoother running after injury. Like me, who is a full-time single dad of a 10 year old, less than 4 years off a pack-a-day smoking (and who is taking a day off today because he;s really tired).

I'm predicting that the most gain will be recorded by someone with a 95/100. That's 6.65 /week. The median for max gain will likely be lower, probably 84/100. Over 95 will decline improvement because either fatigue, injury, or high run level before challenge. Below 84 you will see decline because of undertraining,existing injury, or diminished ability.

To recap, I'm interested in what real people do.

I don't think you will have a "real people" answer because there is such a wide range. I THINK the number of runs however is meaningless other than it is a means to accue more distance.

I bet you would see roughly the same improvement from one person who does 700km of running in 70 runs as someone who does 700km of running in 100 runs. But I bet the same 700km 70 runs runner actually ends up doing more like 800-900km if you do 100 runs. For the same athlete, the bigger improvement will come just by more mileage (up to a point). The number of runs is somewhat meaningless....the aggregate mileage is what is most important, and aggregate mileage is more easier each achieved through frequency....swimmers and runners have known this since the 60's

Let's simplify it on a weekly basis. Its easier to get to 7 hours of running in a week off 8 runs than it is off 4 runs. Its actually easy to log a 7 hour running week (or lets say an 84 km running week at 5 min per K) than it is doing that 84K running week off 4 runs. Scale it up or down based on the distance you're trying to log in a week. Once your mileage gets higher more frequent runs is the way to go....it's why that Kenyan targeting 300km per week of running is doing it off 13 runs and not off 6 runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Going to try to explain my current run volume and goals the best I can. Last November I was coming off a 70.3, everesting, and marathon all very close together. I shut down all activity for a full month to recover. Starting December I challenged myself to do 90 swim, bike, or runs for 90 days straight. The 90 for 90 streak was my own personal challenge, very similar to how Dev started the 100/100 runs - and pretty much for the same reasons. I wanted motivation to get back out there after a month off and string together 3 months of activity in the dead of winter.

Fast forward to today and the 90 for 90 streak is now up to 384 days in a row. I do take rest days, but they are minimum 1 mile on the treadmill to keep my personal streak going.

After my first IM two months ago, I took 2 weeks of recovery where I decreased volume a ton. During that time, I got the urge to run. Running would be my focus all winter. I started run commuting to work 8 miles each way on Mondays and Fridays. I averaged 7 miles per day over 50 days, the majority being outdoor pavement runs. My run volume was increasing a lot and I was having fun. For me (given my personal situation and schedules) it is the best most efficient way to increase fitness without taking away from family time too much. Coming off IM training last year I needed to decrease volume (time) a lot for my family.

I stumbled upon the Slowtwitch 100/100 thread a couple weeks ago and I thought to myself, well I am already running a shit ton and this challenge very closely aligns with my current goals... so why not enter it and throw down hard.

One of my favorite ST advice of all time - I was asking for advice regarding racing Savageman 12 days before my first full. One dude’s advice: “throw down hard, do epic shit. If it costs you 30 minutes and Maryland, so what?”. I loved it.

Anyway, I'm not hiding it - I am doing the absolute bare minimum so far. All but two of my runs have been on a $300 craig's list treadmill in my garage. It is very low impact for me given that I am used to running on pavement. I have only been logging 30-minute runs and doing nothing extra.

Leading up to the start of the challenge I knew I wanted to throw down hard and do 10 runs on day one. I also knew I wanted to follow it up with 4 or 5 runs on day two. I was surprised how well my body reacted to 37 miles on day one so on day two I did the maximum possible and cranked out 9 more runs. My family had plans in the morning of day two with travel so that is why I couldn't get in the full 10 and it is also why I did two of the runs outside in freezing rain. There are three things that I want to stick to.

1. I value my sleep and I know how important it is for recovery - so I’ll never have a run end after 9 pm.
2. I am being extremely productive during 1-hour breaks.
3. when my wife says don’t run, I don’t run.

I have a full-time job, young kids, and my wife works evenings three days a week so any thoughts of 100 in 10 are completely not there.

I'm having a good time, working on my form, getting good sleep, focusing on short recoveries and monitoring my body. My current pace won't last all 100 days. My goals shifted quite a bit yesterday morning when I learned I was moved from the Hyner 50k wait list to the registered list. I wasn’t expecting to be able to race Hyner until April 2020 but now yesterday morning I learned I’ll be racing it in 123 days. Before that I knew I would do 200/100. I was locked in for that. 300/100 was a possibility if I stuck to the bare minimum. But priorities will change soon, and I’ll be doing longer runs, huge elevation, more travel to trails etc to prepare for Hyner. I only race a couple times each year and when I lock into a race I train correctly to the best of my ability. Ten 30-minute treadmill runs spaced 1 hour 1 minute apart is obviously not great physical training. But like Dev had mentioned somewhere in this thread, the hardest part is getting back up and starting the next run after a break. And the next one. And the next one. And the next one. And the next one. I would argue that is good mental training.

At the end of the day I’m in the mood to run, so I run. My total number can’t be compared to others correctly because I am doing the absolute bare minimum. Others are doing more efficient training and usually swimming and biking as well. I remember mile 9 of my IM run a couple months ago - hearing the leaders finishing hours ahead of me. I still had a personal victory that day because I was racing myself and my own time goals – pretty much in line with another post Dev made in this thread about being the best you and controlling you. Anyone who is chasing their own results in this 100/100 keep it up and post your runs / recaps and let us know how you are doing.

Kick ass attitude, dude! You rock.

Long live Bluestack!

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Major back tightness tonight after run #4. Didn't think I would make it after about a half mile. Pushed through.
I hope I'm able to make it out again in the morning....
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
How come I don't see this special icon? Bkuestack and mcclandon both show NO icon.

I just uploaded them. Full refresh (ctrl-alt-R) should pull the new file.

-E
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [coralsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coralsnake wrote:
Major back tightness tonight after run #4. Didn't think I would make it after about a half mile. Pushed through.

Ahhhhh that's horrible luck. Hopefully you recuperate overnight and come out swinging tomorrow!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [coralsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coralsnake wrote:

Get well soon! Don’t rush back- not worth it
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [flychris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Managed to get in my much-beloved sort-of-annual-but-not-really circuit of Central Park in NYC today, on a visit to see some old friends where were there. Always love this loop, especially in sunny blue skies (even if it was barely over 32F/0C). Did this last year the 2nd week of January (deeper into 100/100) and was a bit faster then, but happy enough with the pace and even more so to be in the middle of the energy of the city and the people there. Delicious.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm at 4 of 100 and already feeling the pinch. Suffering from a bad head cold this week. I'm doing the bare minimum to get by; 30 mins on the treadmill at a snail's pace. Under normal circumstances, I'd be taking some rest days until I felt better. Argh!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Dec 19, 18 0:18
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to contrast running in the cold...summer time running down our way, thunderstorm season at the moment, 30+ hot days storms roll in from mid arvo, if northwest and green look out hail, started just on dark, farm land roads again, last 10 minutes rain, thunder and maybe a smidgen bit too close lightning, sensational, summer rain running, heck yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK just a general message to all of you on the challenge. This one is related to priority management.

If you can

1. shower and change 5 minutes faster
  2. show up to the next appointment 3 minutes later or leave last meeting 3 minutes earlier
  3. you can do almost an extra mile of running with this 8 extra minutes
  4. do that 50 more times in the challenge and you added 50 miles to your yearly run base...do it 100 times and it's a 100 miles just from priority management
  5. 50 miles is like a decent running week.
  6. that's getting to 2-4% of your annual volume just by organizing yourself and accumulating this through frequency of "savings" (putting mileage in the bank...it's like acquiring ultra low risk govt T-bills for your investment portfolio upon which you can buy China Interent stocks for big growth LOL)

Also another thing....NEVER EVER buy your lunch. Always make it and bag it so you can eat it while in motion. If someone makes your lunch at a restaurant, or even fast food, you're standing in line WAITING when you can use the same time for MORE RUNNING.

I stopped going to get my hair cut 8 years ago and just use buzzers at home in 3 minutes. My wife asked me why and I said, "It saves me 12x1.5 hours per year....that's 18 hours or an entire high volume week of training time".....priorities priorities. The money I save covers the running shoes.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 19, 18 5:27
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super technical question. Garmin links to Strava links to Slowtwich. Sometimes Strava is a little shorter in time than Garmin. My run on day 5 was just over 30 min per garmin, and later after linking, Strava had me at 29:59....SO my day 6 run I did 33 min just to make sure I had enough to cover both days. Do I need to go in and manually adjust? I don't want to mess with it too much! --Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ChrisKopcha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisKopcha wrote:
Super technical question. Garmin links to Strava links to Slowtwich. Sometimes Strava is a little shorter in time than Garmin. My run on day 5 was just over 30 min per garmin, and later after linking, Strava had me at 29:59....SO my day 6 run I did 33 min just to make sure I had enough to cover both days. Do I need to go in and manually adjust? I don't want to mess with it too much! --Chris

if it logs as a run in the Challenge, you're good.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When trying to log in and update I'm getting "expired certificate" warning.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
When trying to log in and update I'm getting "expired certificate" warning.......

yeah. i just got that too. we JUST changed domain name registrars. so, i think a few libraries on our servers need updating.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

Me too.

Since walking/shuffling doesnt count, today's 400x12 , finished in 18min of run time, to meet the 30 minutes minimum had to extend it to 400x20. (45 min elapsed). Made me miss my post run swim workout argh
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Me too.

Since walking/shuffling doesnt count, today's 400x12 , finished in 18min of run time, to meet the 30 minutes minimum had to extend it to 400x20. (45 min elapsed). Made me miss my post run swim workout argh

i suspect this'll be fixed within the half hour.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
synthetic wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Me too.

i suspect this'll be fixed within the half hour.

Thanks Dan.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ChrisKopcha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisKopcha wrote:

Hey, Chris. Sorry about that. This happens to me as well with Polar -> Strava -> Slowtwitch. I avoid it by stopping my watch when I stop running, and going a bit over the 30 minutes. In the meantime, though, the good news is that you can adjust that run back above 30 minutes so that the challenge will pick it up (only AFTER you sync from Strava, though).

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

My bad! I thought we had until the end of the day. Nope! The certificate is updated, sorry for the inconvenience!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK back to the running....this morning 15 min treadmill shuffle then over to the dentist office, then from there over to our company bankers (at this point, my mind is half on the bank balance and depositing an investor cheque...yaaaay....and the other part of my brain is plotting how I will get another 15 min run in during the day to get to run number 3)....so after that, I it was straight to the gym for a swim, but then I did a detour to the gym and did 7 min Woodway curve treadmill run + 10 min hard row with 1000m interval at 220-230W + 8 min Woodway Curve run + 10 min hard row with a 1000m interval at 230W-260W....then back to the Woodway curve for 10 min run back on the Woodway Curve and I found myself writing cheques that my body is not ready for but what the heck, I pulled out my inner FloJo sprinter technique for a few short surges....

total running for the day 15+7+8+10 = 40 min!!!!!

So run number 3 is in broken up in 4 legs, but whatever it takes!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Five days late to the challenge but hopefully I can get a 100/95!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric! I just went into my log and gave myself the extra second so it shows all my runs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the results to last year's challenge available? I'd like to see what the success rate was.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK back to the running....this morning 15 min treadmill shuffle then over to the dentist office, then from there over to our company bankers (at this point, my mind is half on the bank balance and depositing an investor cheque...yaaaay....and the other part of my brain is plotting how I will get another 15 min run in during the day to get to run number 3)....so after that, I it was straight to the gym for a swim, but then I did a detour to the gym and did 7 min Woodway curve treadmill run + 10 min hard row with 1000m interval at 220-230W + 8 min Woodway Curve run + 10 min hard row with a 1000m interval at 230W-260W....then back to the Woodway curve for 10 min run back on the Woodway Curve and I found myself writing cheques that my body is not ready for but what the heck, I pulled out my inner FloJo sprinter technique for a few short surges....

total running for the day 15+7+8+10 = 40 min!!!!!

So run number 3 is in broken up in 4 legs, but whatever it takes!!!

Always feels good chasing a cheque! Congrats!

And way to go on the run too!
Quote Reply

Prev Next