Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's it! String 'em all up!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I seem to be somewhat challenged with it comes to logging all this in. I am on Strava now and am using that but sometimes it doesn't seem to go so in my enthusiasm to get these runs logged I log it on Slowtwitch as well so now it shows I have 4 runs in 2 days with is a lie:(
can I remove any of these or just not log any thing for the next two days so it evens out?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed! Well stated Dev! One thing is for sure, the guy is stimulating some fun conversation : )
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Yes we are friends. He will at some point jump on here but at the moment he is out running... That's being serious. But I no he has intention of filling people in at some point.

He's a high volume guy so not that injury can't happen but it won't be from a sudden increase in runs.

Until he comes on here and posts, here's a comprehensive background post by Bluestacks from just a few months ago on ST. Cause you know we're all just a bit curious :)

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/My_first_Ironman_(MOP)%2C_Q_and_A_and_Race_Report_P6758792/
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So THATS the guy!

I remember reading that. Great race report!

Looking forward to hearing the story about what the hell he's thinking. I'll try not to hold it against him that's he's friends with fishbum. ;o}
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Yes we are friends. He will at some point jump on here but at the moment he is out running... That's being serious. But I no he has intention of filling people in at some point.
He's a high volume guy so not that injury can't happen but it won't be from a sudden increase in runs.

Actually what your friend is doing is quite challenging. If any of you people have done a multi day all day training camp, then you'll know that the hardest thing is not doing the sport, but getting going after a break. I've organized a few camps where we swim 10K, bike 300K and run 45K (split into three sporting sessions per day and they are all pretty long) in a span of 48 hours and by far the hardest thing to do it to just get going again on the next leg.

If your buddy can do 100 runs in 10 days (which would be 50 hours of running) that would be pretty solid, given that most of us if we do a 25 hour training week of just cycling will have a hard time. I've done a few 35-40 hour training weeks cycling on training camp vacations (5-7 hours per day every day) and its hard enough doing that on a bike. Doing it running over that many 1 hour breaks would drive me over the edge even if it was just cycling. No chance doing it running.

Despite what the naysayers around here are saying please pass your friend my encouragement for whatever self generated crazy bar he has set. If he's using the framework of the challenge to get there then why not.

Will do. Obviously the work week will slow things down but he will still get a couple a day in At least. As for his motivation....That's a tough nut to crack.

What's all these excuses about the work week.

OK here is the plan.

• Get out of bed, put on running shoes, run number 1 done by 5:30 am
  • 60 min break to have breakfast, say hi to family, check critical work emails
  • 6:30 am to 7am run number 2
  • 7am to 8am, commute to work
  • 8am to 8:30 am run loops of work parking lot for half an hour run number 3
  • 9 am to noon WORK
  • noon to 12:30 am run number 4
  • 5 pm to 5:30, run number 5
  • 5:30 to 6:30 "almost commute home"....don't arrive at home because you'll get sucked into family stuff. End commute 5 min from home and drive from there
  • 6:30 pm to 7 pm run number 6 (don't run by the house or you'll get busted by your spouse for training instead of family time)
  • 7 pm to 8 pm dinner, family time....honey, I only got to train after breakfast at 6:30 am....tired of being couped up, I need to do a short jog
  • 8:00 pm to 8:30 pm run number 7
  • Go to bed at 9 pm
  • Midnight....honey, I can't sleep, I'm going downstairs to grab a snack and read (run number 8 ensues).
  • 12:30 back to bed

Repeat this plan 5x per week on weekdays and that's 40 runs on weekdays. Make up for "lost ground' on weekends with 16x per day plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK in the vein of the above post, when I used to travel 30+ weeks per year trans continental or to Asia or Europe multiple times per month, below was my "standard" long run day when I was racing Ironmans.

Because I was on the road so much, biz travel weeks were run focus and weeks at home and weekends were for swim + bike.

here is a sample of a long run day

Wake up at 4 am at San Francisco Airport hotel, 4:15, running loops around the parking lot for 45-60 minutes, done by 5:15 am and in hotel shuttle bus to SFO airport by 5:30 am for 6:30 am flight. I'd already have checked in online, so could go straight to the gate.

Onto flight, sleep on flight, do airplane WIFI work, make posts on ST from above Colorado or Kansas, sleep some more, arrive Toronto airport. Ideally get 3+ hours of sleep in the flight to recover for run number 2

There is a connecting flight every hour from Toronto to Ottawa, so I would try to ideally have a 2-3 hour layover and i would head to the Goodlife fitness in the airport (had to leave security, what pain). Once in Goodlife fitness depending on my layover, treadmill only or treadmill + spin bike + weights, but tried to ideally get 45-60 min more of running in. From there rush to gate....it helped to be SuperElite and be able to get priority on everything. Sleep again on my 1 hour connector flight

Arrive home, dinner with family, and then catch up on some loose ends and then when everyone was asleep, hit run number 3. This run was always insanely hard, but more than anything this run was mental training for mile 20 of the Ironman. Run number 3 after a day of tran continental travel was like banking "mental hardness points". NOTHING in an Ironman race would break me into walking knowing that I had a banked a bunch of these insanely tough multiple run days. Some of those days would be anywhere from 2:15 to 3 hour run days around being in transit for 11 hours. It was kind of like an Ironman day. Not sure how much fitness I every gained out of the third run on those days (likely it hurt me more than gained me), but that was not the point. The point was it was a self generated challenge and it was worth doing because it as hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in! This is my first time participating in the 100/100. I have been trying to get my running back on track and this is exactly what I need. It's great to have a goal that I am pursuing as part of a community focused on the same goal!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
So THATS the guy!

I remember reading that. Great race report!

Looking forward to hearing the story about what the hell he's thinking. I'll try not to hold it against him that's he's friends with fishbum. ;o}

Yep,
He's the dude!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

Two weeks ago 42 miles, last week 62, this week 95. Wasn't there some agreement that upping mileage more than 10-15% weekly is asking for trouble? He did 1360 miles so far this year, including almost 100 this week. I hope he stays in one piece.

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Two weeks ago 42 miles, last week 62, this week 95. Wasn't there some agreement that upping mileage more than 10-15% weekly is asking for trouble? He did 1360 miles so far this year, including almost 100 this week. I hope he stays in one piece.

Given that one week represents 2% of the year, and he's doing 7.3% of his annual mileage in a single week, we can roughly say that it MAY be excessive. But it's totally possible that he is a bing runner that does a massive week and then does two zero to super light weeks and repeats this cycle in which case he may not be that far off his binge week running. It's easier to be a binge week athlete in swimming and biking which are non weight bearing and then sit around for 2 weeks and recover doing nothing and go back at it. Running does not generally work well that way (well, nothing works well that way, but swim/bike you can get away with).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Actually what your friend is doing is quite challenging. If any of you people have done a multi day all day training camp, then you'll know that the hardest thing is not doing the sport, but getting going after a break. I've organized a few camps where we swim 10K, bike 300K and run 45K (split into three sporting sessions per day and they are all pretty long) in a span of 48 hours and by far the hardest thing to do it to just get going again on the next leg.

If your buddy can do 100 runs in 10 days (which would be 50 hours of running) that would be pretty solid, given that most of us if we do a 25 hour training week of just cycling will have a hard time. I've done a few 35-40 hour training weeks cycling on training camp vacations (5-7 hours per day every day) and its hard enough doing that on a bike. Doing it running over that many 1 hour breaks would drive me over the edge even if it was just cycling. No chance doing it running.

Despite what the naysayers around here are saying please pass your friend my encouragement for whatever self generated crazy bar he has set. If he's using the framework of the challenge to get there then why not.

Will do. Obviously the work week will slow things down but he will still get a couple a day in At least. As for his motivation....That's a tough nut to crack.

What's all these excuses about the work week.

OK here is the plan.

• Get out of bed, put on running shoes, run number 1 done by 5:30 am
  • 60 min break to have breakfast, say hi to family, check critical work emails
  • 6:30 am to 7am run number 2
  • 7am to 8am, commute to work
  • 8am to 8:30 am run loops of work parking lot for half an hour run number 3
  • 9 am to noon WORK
  • noon to 12:30 am run number 4
  • 5 pm to 5:30, run number 5
  • 5:30 to 6:30 "almost commute home"....don't arrive at home because you'll get sucked into family stuff. End commute 5 min from home and drive from there
  • 6:30 pm to 7 pm run number 6 (don't run by the house or you'll get busted by your spouse for training instead of family time)
  • 7 pm to 8 pm dinner, family time....honey, I only got to train after breakfast at 6:30 am....tired of being couped up, I need to do a short jog
  • 8:00 pm to 8:30 pm run number 7
  • Go to bed at 9 pm
  • Midnight....honey, I can't sleep, I'm going downstairs to grab a snack and read (run number 8 ensues).
  • 12:30 back to bed

Repeat this plan 5x per week on weekdays and that's 40 runs on weekdays. Make up for "lost ground' on weekends with 16x per day plan.

OK as of this morning BluStack is at 20 runs in 2 days with 5 hrs of running in the bag and a credible 115km done.

I have posted the above "WEEKDAY" 8 runs per day program. Please make sure he gets it and does not slack off. We are counting on him to hit 100 runs in 10 days!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Actually what your friend is doing is quite challenging. If any of you people have done a multi day all day training camp, then you'll know that the hardest thing is not doing the sport, but getting going after a break.

Every year [sometimes more than once a year] I do a Black Friday 20K Solo Relay ... Also known as "Run Like An Idiot"

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=4068378#p4068378

The original format was four 5Ks, six hours apart, but we've slacked off on that a bit and now it's four 5Ks within 24 hours or so

Not only is it a challenge to get out the door on legs that are getting deader & deader, there's also refueling and re-hydrating to do, if you intend to do each leg at max pace or close to it

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like this belongs in the "Airing of the Grievances" thread, but whatever - got a big old goose egg so far. We'll get on the board, dammit! I'll get to 70 come hell or high water.

Also, keep the photos coming, people. I'll be building a couple of IG stories to go along with the reposts.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

OK as of this morning BluStack is at 20 runs in 2 days with 5 hrs of running in the bag and a credible 115km done.

I have posted the above "WEEKDAY" 8 runs per day program. Please make sure he gets it and does not slack off. We are counting on him to hit 100 runs in 10 days!!!!

Blustack is not leaving at least one hour between runs (which is the rule)... so probably half of them don't count

[EDIT] I was wrong and obviously didn't have enough coffee before looking at the training log!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Last edited by: robgray: Dec 17, 18 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeh, looks like he has at least an hour between the “start” of each run but not an hour between the end of a run and the start of another.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Blustack is not leaving at least one hour between runs (which is the rule)... so probably half of them don't count

Hmm, is that enough for Marathon Investigations to get involved? /pink
Last edited by: walie: Dec 17, 18 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha
Where did you guys learn how to read a clock?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad. Looks like he starts the following 30 minute run at 1:31 or thereabouts so he gets the 1 hour in. That’s pretty good run optimization. Congrats and carry on!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
Yeh, looks like he has at least an hour between the “start” of each run but not an hour between the end of a run and the start of another.

It actually looks legit Joel. An entire hour rest between each run.

Tough weekend and very long days, starting/stopping like that. Props to him!
(I checked just now, as can anyone, by clicking on his name (or anyone's) in the training log.)

We must support his craziness-as long as no injury comes of it!!
Looks like the work week is getting in the way today-we all know how irritating that is....

#ST100in100
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Hahaha
Where did you guys learn how to read a clock?

I blame not enough coffee this morning :-)
And apologies to Blustack - my error - I hope he keeps it up!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Late decider, and first timer... ( I hesitated in sharing my strava but, I suppose I have it all set as public anyways).

Motivation behind decision? I am sticking to my plan, I won't be altering to log an extra run, for the sake of getting an extra run (my partner intrigues me and challenges me).

People are always asking me how my "exercising" is going,often say that I "exercise" more than anyone they know (which oddly gets under my skin more than they could understand, and not worth spending the time to explain the difference between "exercising" and training for a goal).

I am curious to see, how I compare with those that see what I (we) are doing as "training."

I am in my second year of "training" with a focus on consistency, winter (really anything but a beautiful summers day) in the past had always been my archnemesis, so maybe this will distract me from my dislike of anything but perfect conditions ;p
and I suppose for the enjoyment of the process.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
JoelO wrote:

It actually looks legit Joel. An entire hour rest between each run.

Tough weekend and very long days, starting/stopping like that. Props to him!
(I checked just now, as can anyone, by clicking on his name (or anyone's) in the training log.)

We must support his craziness-as long as no injury comes of it!!
Looks like the work week is getting in the way today-we all know how irritating that is....

#ST100in100

That's why I gave it up for the rest of the year. Still not gonna embark on that craziness... Long live bluestack867.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Long live bluestack867.

Here's hoping bluestack867 continues on his torrid pace and stays injury free! At this rate though, he won't be posting and addressing his adoring, public until March 20-something, when the contest is well over. Appears he has no time to fraternize with us one-run-a-day commoners.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Quote:
Long live bluestack867.

Here's hoping bluestack867 continues on his torrid pace and stays injury free! At this rate though, he won't be posting and addressing his adoring, public until March 20-something, when the contest is well over. Appears he has no time to fraternize with us one-run-a-day commoners.

I'll be his acting spokesman until he has time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next