Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strangename wrote:
tricyclist wrote:
strangename wrote:
Well then I was completly wrong ! thank you for correcting me.

Are you also coralsnake? I wasn't correcting anyone, only answering his question - and having a little fun with the unusual start - as a few others have already.

Well I was answering to Don W but I forgot to quote him

Ah! Got it.

Now, to actually contribute to your point. You're on the right track regarding the "spirit" of the challenge, if not the letter of the law. The challenge is meant to encourage people to be consistent through the winter months, rather than simply race to the top of the mountain. But the rules do "allow" you to race to the top, so it is up to the individual what they get out of it.

Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [coralsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coralsnake wrote:
tricyclist wrote:
coralsnake wrote:
I'm sure its been covered but I haven't seen it:

How does one take a day off if we're supposed to run every day for 100 days?

The answer is in the name - "Run 100 times in 100 days", not "Run 100 consecutive days".

There are usually some people who will end with over 120 runs, or 1000 runs if the first day is any indication. ;)

Is there a max amount of runs I can do on a given day?

For example can I run 7 runs on Sunday and then not run again till the following Sunday?

What about skipped runs? Can I skip a week then run 7x to make it up?

Just trying to understand the rules.

You can do 16 runs in a day. Read the rules. Each run has to be followed by 60 min of not running and doing something else. Do the math and you'll see you can fit 16 runs in a calendar day if your first run starts at midnight. That's the theoretical daily max. You coud start the entire 100/100 on the last week and get it done if you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [tricyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tricyclist wrote:
No max number. "Yes" to each of your other questions above.

30 minute run + 60 minute rest = 90 minute cycle

24 hours / 90 minutes = 16 cycles

so the max would by 16 runs in a day

I think?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
tricyclist wrote:
No max number. "Yes" to each of your other questions above.

30 minute run + 60 minute rest = 90 minute cycle

24 hours / 90 minutes = 16 cycles

so the max would by 16 runs in a day

I think?

Sounds about right. Not sure why anyone would want to do this, unless of course they get WAY behind or need to get way ahead of the curve. But yes, I think you are correct!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Dec 16, 18 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
coralsnake wrote:
tricyclist wrote:
coralsnake wrote:

The answer is in the name - "Run 100 times in 100 days", not "Run 100 consecutive days".

There are usually some people who will end with over 120 runs, or 1000 runs if the first day is any indication. ;)

For example can I run 7 runs on Sunday and then not run again till the following Sunday?

You can do 16 runs in a day. Read the rules. Each run has to be followed by 60 min of not running and doing something else. Do the math and you'll see you can fit 16 runs in a calendar day if your first run starts at midnight. That's the theoretical daily max. You could start the entire 100/100 on the last week and get it done if you want.

As others have alluded to, 'banking' runs is certainly not in the spirit of this challenge. I'm really uncertain of how doing multiple runs in a day, not '2/days', helps overall fitness or a run build. (*this probably belongs in the 'cry like a b*tch thread)

I would propose that the MAX number you can get is 100, not 105 or 110 or 120. Something to think about and obviously too late for this year...

And, since I'm already injured, I'll likely think about this too much while not running...

edited to add: less than 300 folks (out of the 611 signups) have recorded their first run.

And someone will eventually have to also walk me through the process for IG. Now that I have an account, I've no idea how to spread the ST brand. Pretty sure I have to do something with a hashtag. Gonna have to talk one of my 20 year old boys into explaining this to the old man.
Last edited by: dtoce: Dec 16, 18 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And everyone was blown away by IntensOne last year. This guy/gal is making IntenseOne look like a slacker, and the rest of us look like couch potatoes.

Maybe him/her thought this was 1000/100 ; not 100 ?!?

Or maybe Bluestacks867 is Ryan from Pittsburgh!!! The most energetic man alive that wins at everything?? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7n8AO5x5sE
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
coralsnake wrote:
tricyclist wrote:
coralsnake wrote:

You can do 16 runs in a day. Read the rules. Each run has to be followed by 60 min of not running and doing something else. Do the math and you'll see you can fit 16 runs in a calendar day if your first run starts at midnight. That's the theoretical daily max. You could start the entire 100/100 on the last week and get it done if you want.

As others have alluded to, 'banking' runs is certainly not in the spirit of this challenge. I'm really uncertain of how doing multiple runs in a day, not '2/days', helps overall fitness or a run build. (*this probably belongs in the 'cry like a b*tch thread)

I would propose that the MAX number you can get is 100, not 105 or 110 or 120. Something to think about and obviously too late for this year...

And, since I'm already injured, I'll likely think about this too much while not running...

edited to add: less than 300 folks (out of the 611 signups) have recorded their first run.

And someone will eventually have to also walk me through the process for IG. Now that I have an account, I've no idea how to spread the ST brand. Pretty sure I have to do something with a hashtag. Gonna have to talk one of my 20 year old boys into explaining this to the old man.

Why would you want to change the rules? There's a challenge and bluestack wants to win. There's no crying in baseball.....
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
And everyone was blown away by IntensOne last year. This guy/gal is making IntenseOne look like a slacker, and the rest of us look like couch potatoes.

Maybe him/her thought this was 1000/100 ; not 100 ?!?

Or maybe Bluestacks867 is Ryan from Pittsburgh!!! The most energetic man alive that wins at everything?? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7n8AO5x5sE

Not Ryan. I noticed some have already started to question his volume... Its legit and he's just getting started!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
There's no crying in baseball.....

Oh, I've cried in baseball before (but you wouldn't have seen the tears)
...fastball in>broken finger; diving catch>dislocated finger; crashed into the fence>fractured rib; stealing second>torn quad...

I've got more...

But I see your point. Good luck to him!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Bummer about the injury. Just got back from 2/2. Nice brisk day.

Not much to IG. Our youngest turns 30 in 14 days. So you can't be THAT old. #st100in100 and @slowtwitch is most of what you need to know. Post a pic, say something, tag @slowtwitch and add to the #st100in100 hash. Done. Then check out the rest of us fools!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
I'm really uncertain of how doing multiple runs in a day, not '2/days', helps overall fitness or a run build...

And, since I'm already injured, I'll likely think about this too much while not running.

You just answered your own question. Spreading mileage over more frequent runs helps reduce injury risk.

It also helps mitigate swings in mood and hunger. It's also easier to fit into the average working person's (people who don't run a 5 minute pace) day. It's also more efficient: you're already thoroughly warmed up and in tri shorts after your trainer ride, so you might as well slip on your running shoes and pop off a quick 20-30 minute run. Lastly, it helps counter boredom.

Can you tell that I'm a big proponent of multiples??? Now 10 runs a day as we're seeing on the current leaderboard feels a little...

dtoce wrote:

this definitely belongs in the 'cry like a b*tch thread
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HVP wrote:
dtoce wrote:
I'm really uncertain of how doing multiple runs in a day, not '2/days', helps overall fitness or a run build...

And, since I'm already injured, I'll likely think about this too much while not running.

You just answered your own question. Spreading mileage over more frequent runs helps reduce injury risk.

It also helps mitigate swings in mood and hunger. It's also easier to fit into the average working person's (people who don't run a 5 minute pace) day. It's also more efficient: you're already thoroughly warmed up and in tri shorts after your trainer ride, so you might as well slip on your running shoes and pop off a quick 20-30 minute run. Lastly, it helps counter boredom.

Can you tell that I'm a big proponent of multiples??? Now 10 runs a day as we're seeing on the current leaderboard feels a little...

A little.... what? Say it. Don't imply something.
Say it
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
HVP wrote:
dtoce wrote:

Say it

I can't put my finger on it. Intriguing? I'd love to know more if you're willing to share - how this fits into the person's daily schedule, what he/she does for a living, what are his/her training goals?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HVP wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
HVP wrote:
dtoce wrote:

Say it

I can't put my finger on it. Intriguing? I'd love to know more if you're willing to share - how this fits into the person's daily schedule, what he/she does for a living, what are his/her training goals?

Can't put ur finger on it.... Sounds like you think he's a cheater and or a liar.
I won't speak for his goals other than winning and Running a ton this yr.
I'm also not sure I'll answer what he does for a living. He is as driven as they come.

So don't beat around the bush. Call him out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HVP wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
HVP wrote:
dtoce wrote:

Say it

Let's not confuse a few issues. I know more than a little about physiology and I'm a big proponent of 'doubles'. My own injury involved twisting while driving and causing a back spasm/pulled muscle-it did not happen from running. (*I had already done a 5 mile run, 30 min bike race and 90 minute spin w/u and recovery when the idiot woman blared her horn at me while pulling into a spot next to me just to alert me to her presence)

Spreading out mileage by doing 2 runs in a day is well known but show me the literature on doing 4-7 in a day. I have elite friends who will even do triples while building miles/time on their feet for ultra or the marathon, but 4+ runs in a day is just clicking a counter, IMO, not achieving any true run goal-except to 'win' a challenge such as this, if that is indeed 'winning' (*well maybe in the Charlie Sheen way). It is certainly not easier to fit into "the average working persons schedule". And I almost always run off the bike during the warm months but this many runs in a day is ludicrous. You will always be changing or sitting in somewhat sweaty clothes, and for what??

Fishbum, you seem to know him or at least something of him, but me...I'd like to hear from bluestacks867 as to the motivation/plan-but mostly out of curiosity...

I could care less about who wins or has the most runs. I do hope people don't get injured during this. Beyond that, it's just dialogue to pass the time.

Last edited by: dtoce: Dec 16, 18 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would like to see the leader board sorted by duration rather than number of runs. that will give old folks a chance. and I am not even old
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First year doing it, but I'm on "easy" mode as I live in Brazil and the weather is the opposite from US, almost to hot to run in 100 degrees...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
HVP wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
HVP wrote:
dtoce wrote:

Say it

Let's not confuse a few issues. I know more than a little about physiology and I'm a big proponent of 'doubles'. My own injury involved twisting while driving and causing a back spasm/pulled muscle-it did not happen from running. (*I had already done a 5 mile run, 30 min bike race and 90 minute spin w/u and recovery when the idiot woman blared her horn at me while pulling into a spot next to me just to alert me to her presence)

Spreading out mileage by doing 2 runs in a day is well known but show me the literature on doing 4-7 in a day. I have elite friends who will even do triples while building miles/time on their feet for ultra or the marathon, but 4+ runs in a day is just clicking a counter, IMO, not achieving any true run goal-except to 'win' a challenge such as this, if that is indeed 'winning' (*well maybe in the Charlie Sheen way). It is certainly not easier to fit into "the average working persons schedule". And I almost always run off the bike during the warm months but this many runs in a day is ludicrous. You will always be changing or sitting in somewhat sweaty clothes, and for what??

Fishbum, you seem to know him or at least something of him, but me...I'd like to hear from bluestacks867 as to the motivation/plan-but mostly out of curiosity...

I could care less about who wins or has the most runs. I do hope people don't get injured during this. Beyond that, it's just dialogue to pass the time.

Every year or so faily early in the challenge some controvery breaks out in terms of someone chasing the spreadsheet rather than playing to the theme of the challenge.

Really there is no winner in this challenge. The winners of this challenge are the ones who:

1. Improve their personal health
  2. Hit PB's next summer
  3. Use frequent running to weave athletics into a daily lifestyle
  4. Use it as a compliment to self driven achievements

The challenge only provides a framework for all of us. The competition is truly with ourselves, not with any one else. I can say this since I invented this stupid challenge when there was no framework. I started by forcing myself to run every day for the holidays in 2006/2007 and I was doing a heavy build of XC ski training (we're talking daily training session of 3-4 hours, all weight bearing). But I made it through and when I returned to work and my training load was less heavy, I just kept going through January.

Suddenly I was sitting at 40 days straight, and then decided to take it to 50 days. What I did not calculate was on that on the 50th day, I had the Lake Placid Loppet 50K XC ski race with 4400feet of technical vertical climb and descent....I knew there was no way I would be in any condition to do the 50th run after that race, so I knew that I had to do a warmup anyway and I did my 50th run up and down Mirror Lake drive beside Lake Placid on the exact tarmac where I qualified for my first Ironman Kona Qual back in July of 2006. It was kind of surreal doing my 50th day of running in a row for the first time in my life on the same tarmac as my Kona Qual of my life.

I did the XC ski race and had one of the best races of my life. Ended up top 15 overall and on the podium for the 40-44 age group. That never happened in my life.

Soooo....I was on a high and on Monday morning the alarm range and next thing you know I was on a celebration run

But you can see where this goes. I was now at run 51 in 51 days the day after a very punishing race (like a half IM effort) and a 4 hour drive home in a snow storm.

So I started thinking that if I could do 51 in such a trashed state perhaps 100 was in the cards. Along the way, I had roped in STers _EH_ and Jana and they were on pace too.

The second 50 runs were actually quite easy. I started piling on miles to see if I could hit 1000km in 100 days of 100 runs. There was no spreadsheet to chase, no other competitors to chase other than in internally driven motivation bar to see if could do it (much like my current drive to get to 1200km of swimming with more than half of my swimming the other three strokes).

I got to my self generated finish line. I had a PB year of both running and triathlon. I qualified for Kona again on a rolldown but declined the spot (stupid, I should have gone I had to toil again till 2010 to get back).

In any case, if I can ask ALL of you to just do what I ask employees in my company to do and investors who invest in my company.....DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE COMPETITION. BE SELF DRIVEN. IMPROVE YOURSELF. EXECUTE YOUR PLAN. BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE. YOU CAN'T CONTROL WHO ELSE SHOWS UP. LIFT YOUR OWN GAME AND WORRY ABOUT THAT ONLY

If somone wants to run 16x per day for 625 days and get 100/100 done on week 1, then that's their life. It has ZERO impact on any of our training plans and it has zero impact on what we will do on race day or what our families say about us at our respective funerals. Heck, I don't think my family will even say anything about me doing sport at my funeral, unless I die doing sport. They may say something about how the drive I applied to sport carried through to all aspect of life both the good and bad and that a day without sport for me, is like a day without oxygen.

So guys, all this to say, the reason this challenge exists is for you to get the best out of your life, not for you to self destruct or to worry about others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes we are friends. He will at some point jump on here but at the moment he is out running... That's being serious. But I no he has intention of filling people in at some point.
He's a high volume guy so not that injury can't happen but it won't be from a sudden increase in runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Classic clash of "the letter of the law" vs "the spirit of the law".

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Yes we are friends. He will at some point jump on here but at the moment he is out running... That's being serious. But I no he has intention of filling people in at some point.
He's a high volume guy so not that injury can't happen but it won't be from a sudden increase in runs.

Actually what your friend is doing is quite challenging. If any of you people have done a multi day all day training camp, then you'll know that the hardest thing is not doing the sport, but getting going after a break. I've organized a few camps where we swim 10K, bike 300K and run 45K (split into three sporting sessions per day and they are all pretty long) in a span of 48 hours and by far the hardest thing to do it to just get going again on the next leg.

If your buddy can do 100 runs in 10 days (which would be 50 hours of running) that would be pretty solid, given that most of us if we do a 25 hour training week of just cycling will have a hard time. I've done a few 35-40 hour training weeks cycling on training camp vacations (5-7 hours per day every day) and its hard enough doing that on a bike. Doing it running over that many 1 hour breaks would drive me over the edge even if it was just cycling. No chance doing it running.

Despite what the naysayers around here are saying please pass your friend my encouragement for whatever self generated crazy bar he has set. If he's using the framework of the challenge to get there then why not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Really there is no winner in this challenge. The winners of this challenge are the ones who:

1. Improve their personal health
  2. Hit PB's next summer
  3. Use frequent running to weave athletics into a daily lifestyle
  4. Use it as a compliment to self driven achievements

The challenge only provides a framework for all of us. The competition is truly with ourselves, not with any one else.

So guys, all this to say, the reason this challenge exists is for you to get the best out of your life, not for you to self destruct or to worry about others.

well said, Dev!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Actually what your friend is doing is quite challenging. If any of you people have done a multi day all day training camp, then you'll know that the hardest thing is not doing the sport, but getting going after a break. I've organized a few camps where we swim 10K, bike 300K and run 45K (split into three sporting sessions per day and they are all pretty long) in a span of 48 hours and by far the hardest thing to do it to just get going again on the next leg.

If your buddy can do 100 runs in 10 days (which would be 50 hours of running) that would be pretty solid, given that most of us if we do a 25 hour training week of just cycling will have a hard time. I've done a few 35-40 hour training weeks cycling on training camp vacations (5-7 hours per day every day) and its hard enough doing that on a bike. Doing it running over that many 1 hour breaks would drive me over the edge even if it was just cycling. No chance doing it running.

Despite what the naysayers around here are saying please pass your friend my encouragement for whatever self generated crazy bar he has set. If he's using the framework of the challenge to get there then why not.

Will do. Obviously the work week will slow things down but he will still get a couple a day in At least. As for his motivation....That's a tough nut to crack.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
would like to see the leader board sorted by duration rather than number of runs. that will give old folks a chance. and I am not even old

Click on the column headers, and you can sort it anyway you want. Ascending or Descending by clicking again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. now we see people putting info incorrectly.. 59H for 15k run? not even 15k swim would last that long
Quote Reply

Prev Next