Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK, I am late to the game, but heading out for run 4/4 post 100/100 LOL...talk about 100 days of procrastination!

Nice, dev!!! Hey, if it gets you across the finish...er, start line that's the whole point, right?

I know the feeling of being able to do something that you thought would probably never happen again.

You should buy the inventor of this challenge a beer! (oh wait, I don't think that guy drinks...nutter. ;-).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
OK, I am late to the game, but heading out for run 4/4 post 100/100 LOL...talk about 100 days of procrastination!

Nice, dev!!! Hey, if it gets you across the finish...er, start line that's the whole point, right?

I know the feeling of being able to do something that you thought would probably never happen again.

You should buy the inventor of this challenge a beer! (oh wait, I don't think that guy drinks...nutter. ;-).

4 for 4 on the procrastination streak felt successful today. Actually it felt really good. I can't say I feel like a runner who just gets up and whips it off as its a struggle against my own body, but I surprised myself when I looked down at my watch before and after a 1K loop and saw that only 4.5 minutes had gone by (cardio is there from all the swimming).

In terms of buying a beer for the crazy guy who started 100/100, I'll blame that guy for any overtraining or overdoing tendencies I have, but I could buy slowman a beer for encouraging me to do 100/100 as a sort of rehab event. Let's see when I get to 25 more "real runs" (which for me would be outdoor, on pavement, no stopping to stretch out leg spasms) then I should Fedex slowman a Canadian beer. At this point I'm at 7 pavement runs in that category. Someone may accuse me of being a runner this week though. I'm already over 25,000m of running which likely will exceed my usual 20,000m to 30,000m per week of swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
synthetic wrote:
That blog post ...tldr.

The purists have the place to hold people accountable, not show off. I guess you think iron elliptical cowboy did 50 140.6 in 50 days then...

No, they (you) don't. Nobody appointed you as judge of what "counts", or appreciates you demeaning their accomplisments as being somehow "less than" yours, or touting your own as somehow "greater" than everyone else's. As has been stated many times this was not (is not) a COMPETITION...it was/is a CHALLENGE. The purpose of which is to motivate people to do MORE than they thought was possible.

Vincible and the others who ran every single day have taken a very different approach to THEIR accomplishment. They have remained positive about the work of others, while you choose to present yourself on some kind of alter to be admired above all others.

So, why don't you find a way to be positive and motivating instead of acting like an arrogant prick.

ETA:

Quote:
I guess you think iron elliptical cowboy did 50 140.6 in 50 days then...
THIS is not THAT.

I'm sorry you couldn't complete the challenge as a purist definition.

Regardless, considering participation is up say 33% , I'm shocked to see less purist completers of the challenge. Would be interesting stat over the years
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Third year I try this, never get enough runs. I think my most runs have been around 30... how do people prepare for long streaks? I really want to do it!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
synthetic wrote:
That blog post ...tldr.

The purists have the place to hold people accountable, not show off. I guess you think iron elliptical cowboy did 50 140.6 in 50 days then...

No, they (you) don't. Nobody appointed you as judge of what "counts", or appreciates you demeaning their accomplisments as being somehow "less than" yours, or touting your own as somehow "greater" than everyone else's. As has been stated many times this was not (is not) a COMPETITION...it was/is a CHALLENGE. The purpose of which is to motivate people to do MORE than they thought was possible.

Vincible and the others who ran every single day have taken a very different approach to THEIR accomplishment. They have remained positive about the work of others, while you choose to present yourself on some kind of alter to be admired above all others.

So, why don't you find a way to be positive and motivating instead of acting like an arrogant prick.

ETA:

Quote:

THIS is not THAT.

Regardless, considering participation is up say 33% , I'm shocked to see less purist completers of the challenge. Would be interesting stat over the years

OK, I JUST GOING TO PUT MY FOOT DOWN AND TELL YOU TO GET OUTTA HERE, OR SHUT UP.

If anyone gets to decide the PURIST definition its ME.....since I started this in the first place in 2006-2007. The PURIST definition of the challenge is whatever an individual person chooses to complete per the rules, which Slowman has on page 1 of this thread.

The "PURIST WIN" of the challenge is whatever number of runs a person needs to do for their progression and fitness to get to better fitness over 100 days.

Ideally the personal WIN shows up in the time column beside our names at a real race....not some spreadsheet on the internet where anyone can lie anyway about what they did.

• Show up at a race, put on a timing chip, have your name show up in the results and if it was faster than 100 days ago, then the 100/100 PURIST definition was achieved.
  • Or do however many runs you want, get fitter over 100 days and have better health....PURIST definiton achieved
  • Or do however many runs you want, and provide an opportunity for your mind to decompress from day to day life...PURIST definition also achieved.

Whatever each of us chooses for our PURIST win is our win. Now if you can't get that, I suggest you crawl back to where you can pat yourself on your own back without putting others down. This is not the place for that type of put down talk. You can do that elsewhere on ST but don't for a second come onto an ST training camp thread of any kind and put down other people for actually training the best they can (or want)..
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Dev.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As demonstrated by the vast majority of us who didn't run every day (it's the "100 runs in 100 days challenge" , not the "run 100 days in a row challenge" ), you don't have to streak run.

You could start preparing for next year's challenge right now by adding 1 run per week. A mile off a bike workout would do just fine - you're already warmed up and sweaty, so no big deal to just change shoes and go. Take as many weeks as you need to extend that run to 30mins.

Once you're good there, add another run per week. Gradually extend that one as well. Lather, rinse, repeat - at 5 runs per week, you'll qualify for a bronze medal (70/100).

if you're only getting ~30 runs in the 14 weeks of the challenge, you're averaging 2 runs per week. Adding ANYTHING to that will definitely improve your run (as long as you don't get injured). If you're well trained you can maintain fitness on 2 sessions/week in most sports, but improvement requires more dedicated practise. You can do this!

Quote | Reply
OK you described me.

I did 38 runs per 100/100 rules but I could not run continuously till the final week or so, as such I was diving all those runs into circuit training like 10x2 min shuffle while doing weight one day or doing 10x1min before swimming the next day....with that I would get to a single run over 2 days....eventually worked up to 5 minutes at a time in my circuit training, then 8 then 12 and I was adding all of these up per weight circuit training session to get to single runs....once I got to 15 min which was with around 10 days I ventured outdoors and hit my first 30+ non stop.

As of today I am 5/5 on my post 100/100. This will be one of the few weeks all year where I ran more than swam.....currently at 33,000m running and barely half that amount swimming. I may need to step it up in the pool or Monty and Tigerchik may need to kick me off the fish thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely take it. My current program with my tri team has 3 runs every week (plus 3 swims and 3 bikes) so, I would often miss one or two sessions overall.
I will try as you describe. Can't wait for the next challenge! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
synthetic wrote:
That blog post ...tldr.

ETA:

Quote:

THIS is not THAT.

OK, I JUST GOING TO PUT MY FOOT DOWN AND TELL YOU TO GET OUTTA HERE, OR SHUT UP.

If anyone gets to decide the PURIST definition its ME.....since I started this in the first place in 2006-2007. The PURIST definition of the challenge is whatever an individual person chooses to complete per the rules, which Slowman has on page 1 of this thread.

The "PURIST WIN" of the challenge is whatever number of runs a person needs to do for their progression and fitness to get to better fitness over 100 days.

Ideally the personal WIN shows up in the time column beside our names at a real race....not some spreadsheet on the internet where anyone can lie anyway about what they did.

• Show up at a race, put on a timing chip, have your name show up in the results and if it was faster than 100 days ago, then the 100/100 PURIST definition was achieved.
  • Or do however many runs you want, get fitter over 100 days and have better health....PURIST definiton achieved
  • Or do however many runs you want, and provide an opportunity for your mind to decompress from day to day life...PURIST definition also achieved.

Whatever each of us chooses for our PURIST win is our win. Now if you can't get that, I suggest you crawl back to where you can pat yourself on your own back without putting others down. This is not the place for that type of put down talk. You can do that elsewhere on ST but don't for a second come onto an ST training camp thread of any kind and put down other people for actually training the best they can (or want)..

But you know you started it as a streak event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said Dev.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [teetopkram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teetopkram wrote:
Well said Dev.

6/7 during the first 7 days post 100/100
2/2 this week

At the rate I am going I'll be doing a post 100/100 100/100 LOL. My wife always says I procrastinate and is shocked I actually get anything done on time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well 7 days after ,100/100 my 200 day streak came to an end. Decided to recover from a half marathon Sunday so I biked monday
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Well 7 days after ,100/100 my 200 day streak came to an end. Decided to recover from a half marathon Sunday so I biked monday

Hey I killed my post 100/100 6 day streak on Sunday. So far this week 4/4 which brings me to 10/11 post 100/100. I do agree if you have a massive streak on the go, it is really really hard to let the streak go and "break it" when you know its "easy" to keep it rolling. But sometimes the best thing for a streak is to kill it....then you get liberated to not "keeping it going". Hey, I also did Ironman Lake Placid every year 1999 to 2003 and then 2005 to 2009. Once I got to 10, my wife said, "OK, so can we move on to new places now ???" I had a blast getting to 10x IMLP, however, there was a lot more variety that our summers could have had if I was not on the treadmill. Having said that, I don't regret that for a moment. Mainly the people I trained with, met and cross paths with on the road to LP, event week and post LP.

Like anything, streaks (or quests for big numerical goals) are good if we manage them well and not so good when we don't. For each of us, this is a different balancing act.

Congrats on your 200x....it must have been tough to break it and not take it to 365.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Hey I killed my post 100/100 6 day streak on Sunday. So far this week 4/4 which brings me to 10/11 post 100/100. I do agree if you have a massive streak on the go, it is really really hard to let the streak go and "break it" when you know its "easy" to keep it rolling. But sometimes the best thing for a streak is to kill it....then you get liberated to not "keeping it going". Hey, I also did Ironman Lake Placid every year 1999 to 2003 and then 2005 to 2009. Once I got to 10, my wife said, "OK, so can we move on to new places now ???" I had a blast getting to 10x IMLP, however, there was a lot more variety that our summers could have had if I was not on the treadmill. Having said that, I don't regret that for a moment. Mainly the people I trained with, met and cross paths with on the road to LP, event week and post LP.

Like anything, streaks (or quests for big numerical goals) are good if we manage them well and not so good when we don't. For each of us, this is a different balancing act.

Congrats on your 200x....it must have been tough to break it and not take it to 365.

I have done 365+ before. No reward it made me slower. After my bike, next day I ran and was fresh and fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogchili94 wrote:
Congrats to everyone. I finished with the following:

27 days on
3 days off - calf niggle
21 days on
4 days off - back issue (not run related)
45 days on

Rolling 7 day average - 56.5 miles
Max 7 day total - 99.08 miles

Special shout out to ZippityDuDah for not syncing regularly the last week and giving me false hope I could crack the top 5, kept me cranking out doubles for another week :)

11 days until Umstead100...........

Finished Umpstead in 21:28, well below my goal of 24 hours and 30 minutes less than the stretch goal of 22 hours. I set-out on an average pace of 12:00 minute miles and wanted to hold as long as I could. Slowed down but not nearly as much as I expected. Here are my loop times (12.5 miles).

Loop 1 - 2:29
2 - 2:26
3 - 2:28
4 - 2:33
5 - 2:43
6 - 2:41
7 - 2:54
8 - 3:13

I was able to run quite a bit on the last lap and absolutely think participating in the challenge and the volume it lead me to was the key.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YEAH YOU DID! Awesome result and some seriously clockwork splits for a hundo - hope you recover well and wear your buckle with pride!

Quote | Reply
I can report back that after 6 days in a row post 100/100, I took a day off and have run every day in April. Last 6 days on a biz trip, there were no pools accessible around work hours, so just ran every day and it was serious running....60-85 minutes daily!!!

To Synthetic, I feel a steak materializing....yesterday I got off my flight from Europe and went straight to the pool as I had not swam when I was away....plan was 5000m session, but the pool closed 3000m into the workou.....soooo, I decided to do some weights and row machine....and then the treadmills were staring at me, so as part of the weights and rowing machine circuit, I stepped on the treadmill...suddenly the circuit turned into 3x (10 min rowing, 10 min weights, 10 minutes run).....and yes, the magic rounding of each leg to 30 minutes was not a coincidence.

I was really planning to "break the streak" yesterday and stick to the pool but the treadmills baited me. Why did they need to be there? Don't they know that I was NOT going to run.

In all seriousness it is great to be jogging and even running again. Thanks Slowman....stupid 100/100 of rehab and now I almost feel like I am on the starting line of some semblance of proper running. Interestingly my body made a lot of progress on the running front this week when I was not doing other stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy for you Dev. Absolutely nothing better than being able to Run regularly again after a long battle with injuries! I love both Swimming and Biking; but there's just something so damn magical about Running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I can report back that after 6 days in a row post 100/100, I took a day off and have run every day in April. Last 6 days on a biz trip, there were no pools accessible around work hours, so just ran every day and it was serious running....60-85 minutes daily!!!

I was really planning to "break the streak" yesterday and stick to the pool but the treadmills baited me. Why did they need to be there? Don't they know that I was NOT going to run.

In all seriousness it is great to be jogging and even running again. Thanks Slowman....stupid 100/100 of rehab and now I almost feel like I am on the starting line of some semblance of proper running. Interestingly my body made a lot of progress on the running front this week when I was not doing other stuff.

Serves you right for baiting ME into this stupid challenge last December.

Congrats on being able to run again. 3 years ago, I thought I was in that same boat, too. So, I know the feeling of that revelation very, very well.

Its fitting that your own 12 year old challenge comes full circle for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Congrats on being able to run again. 3 years ago, I thought I was in that same boat, too. So, I know the feeling of that revelation very, very well.

Stupid 2006 "requirements"...I am 13/13 in April on the run every day "synthetic approved" old rules program (not that i would get sucked into a streak, but I guess I am. Every day things get a bit better. I am try to combine 10 min rowing machine + run + 10 min rowing machine as workout number one of the morning and then swim hard at lunch. The rowing machine also is a good calf stretch routine which is helpful since I am frequently getting out on my feet. The rowing machine seems to have been key in getting my core working a bit better, so I don't want to get carried away with running and ignore the things that got me back to the start line.

My wife asked me if I was plotting some kind of triathlon foray to which I responded, "I just need to feel like I can just run properly without any nerve flare up problems". Honestly I can say I am a long way from where its in the rearview mirror. When it is, I can try a triathlon where the transitions are short and footing is good and where the run surface is non technical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember the day I was asked that same question. :=). My honest answer, that day, was almost the same as yours. And yet... Here I am in season #3 plotting more races than the previous two combined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Stupid 2006 "requirements"...I am 13/13 in April on the run every day "synthetic approved" old rules program (not that i would get sucked into a streak, but I guess I am. Every day things get a bit better. I am try to combine 10 min rowing machine + run + 10 min rowing machine as workout number one of the morning and then swim hard at lunch. The rowing machine also is a good calf stretch routine which is helpful since I am frequently getting out on my feet. The rowing machine seems to have been key in getting my core working a bit better, so I don't want to get carried away with running and ignore the things that got me back to the start line.

My wife asked me if I was plotting some kind of triathlon foray to which I responded, "I just need to feel like I can just run properly without any nerve flare up problems". Honestly I can say I am a long way from where its in the rearview mirror. When it is, I can try a triathlon where the transitions are short and footing is good and where the run surface is non technical.

for your interest:

https://www.runeveryday.com/usa-active-streaks.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm almost to 200 days in a row with their rules (1 mile a day). I had one, one mile day when I had a stomach bug but other than that they have all been 30 minutes at least (maybe a few 28ish runs). I had no intention of doing a streak but I saw that I was more motivated to run with it. There used to be lots of days I'd get home from work and be "too tired" to run and promise myself to make it up the next day, which I rarely did. Since I have been on the streak I still get nights like that but I'll get myself to commit to 1 mile, and by the time I get there I'm ready for more. I also went from struggling to get a 30 minute 5k racing. Today I went and did 4 miles in 30 minutes at an easy effort. I do have a marathon coming up in 10 days, and I'm excited to do it and feel good. I had a 16 miler last weekend at about 30 seconds/min faster than my goal pace and felt great during it, and it is all due to being consistent. I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep the streak going the day after.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bq2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had run 17 days in a row per 100/100 rules in April, but yesterday, my lack of organization got in the way. I opted for a hard swim as I have swimming provincials in a week and did not MAKE time for the 30 min jogging session. The day before yesterday was my first outdoor bike ride of the year.....35 min run plus 3500m swim in the morning and 30K ride + 15 min row+15 min weights in the evening. First "triathlon" style training day in 4 years!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next