Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Photos = Awesome - I just started smiling when I saw the snow anger.

Comment on 'How' to do that = Extra Awesome - I laughed out loud.

All of you rock! keep up the great work running (and in life).

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Dale, since we were talking about VO2 awhile back, I just put in my info from Sunday's race into the Alan Couzen's VO2 calculator linked above and it spit out 65. That seems ridiculous. Do you think my HR during Sunday's race was suppressed from all the fatigue I carried into the race, thus giving an elevated VO2 calc?

Inputs:
74kg
192bpm max hr
resting hr ~40 (I don't track this but it doesn't seem to play that big of factor)
Pace: 6:20/mile
HR: 165bpm

It is possible that an 'inappropriately low' HR would alter the calculator's guess at your vo2max. One thing's for certain, you are fit and fast. And your vo2max is likely truly above 50. Give yourself some credit, Sean! But it's a useless number for training, just like max HR is useless.

(Edited to add: you still had a very nice HM, especially with the bike fatigue you likely carried into the race. 3+ minutes is a lot to drop though, but I am rooting for you.)

I'm not a fan of many of the calculators, for various reasons. Using resting HR and max HR has some inherent flaws, as does many other ways of guesstimating. You should ask Alan his thoughts on this as he has more real life experience with it.

(*If you use the dexafit calculator formula; 15.3x (maxHR/restHR) you get a vo2max of 73!!!)

I'm a sucker for measured numbers, so I had cardiopulmonary testing done several years back, and I know my measured threshold and max fat burning heart rates as well as my max measured HR (*at that time). My numbers corresponded to what I know to be my running 'threshold' HR from races and training and I got really close to my max measured HR during the test so I was happy with the result and with the effort.

My vo2max was estimated to be a paltry 45, I think. I'm at work still, so not in front of the actual printout, which is sitting in a drawer somewhere in my office at home...
Last edited by: dtoce: Jan 21, 19 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:

Love the photo. Keep Grinding!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30 minute beach run and 2500m swim combining ocean and pool swim.

Afternoon 4500m pool swim just to make sure my combined swimming exceeds my jogging total lest I get accused by the fish on the fish thread on not taking my swim camp seriously.

But super cool to get a legit 30+ min run in on the sand. Not on pavement yet, but I got to 30 min continuous run before end of challenge.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Dev!

Enjoy that warm weather. It was -30C for my run today. Did 10k but with the temperature and the snowy footing from the snow yesterday it took me 52 minutes. 12 weeks until Boston though so no slacking due to weather. I am planning on running an 8k in Burlington on the weekend.... forecast says -9C so that should feel tropical ... not quite what you are experiencing but better than the last couple days!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm happy to report that the fatigue I was feeling about 10 days ago has disapeared. I'm still above the 1 per day rate. I'm starting to increase the lengths of my runs. I'm feeling good. I'm feeling strong. I think I am starting to capture some of the magic of a 100/100.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's hope!! Waiting for this to happen! Now we have cold temps (-23C this morning) & snow to trudge through. Patience...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [stillmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was me LAST week. Then I doubled on Friday. Then doubled again on Saturday, and extended the second run of the day. Sunday, I did 1x35m @FTP on the bike and did a brick-run after that. Now, I'm wallowing in day two of sluggish, minimalistic, 30m recovery runs waiting for them to come back to life.

Oh well...dig a hole, fill a hole....rinse and repeat. I guess.

+3 and hanging on. A day off is probably a brilliant idea, that I will absolutely refuse to follow through on.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today was much better. Run felt easy, hr was low, pace was good. Still kept it short and didn't let myself get carried away.

Ready to dig another hole tomorrow. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are feeling better Tom.

I wasn't fully recovered from the HM for 3x1600 this morning, but didn't feel like I could push that workout out any with the next race only 9 days out. And it actually went pretty well, 5:33, 5:37, 5:37. Going to do 2x3 miles at desired race pace Sunday, then keep runs pretty short with some short priming stuff the rest of the week. Then it's 1:20 or bust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I ran uphill and downhill this morning.

Wow-- I just noticed the number of miles a lot people are logging. Good grief!
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Jan 24, 19 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Day 36: 13 mi (took 2 hrs flat so I entered this as two runs to get credit for the double)

Today's 13 was a fun game of "I am tired and don't want to run, so I will do 30 minutes" and I suckered myself into it. good run - started very easily, ran 6.41 miles in the first hour, then upped the pace to manage 6.59 miles in the second hour.

So I have run 33/36 days, and have "only" done 33 runs, but points-wise am 34/36 because of the "extra credit" for the 2 hr run.

I don't think splitting a long run into halves to get double points was part of the wording, and definitely not part of the intention of the rules. Much less when you fudge the start time of the second half by 2 1/2 hours. Sorry.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today I felt like crap during my 10k run. I think the weather is partially to blame. On my run today my pacing was insanely erratic as the surface switched back and forth between pavement and ice and snow. I would have a 1km stretch where I was 5:03 followed by one that was 5:41 then back to 5:28 then 5:06.... footing was brutal. We went from -30C windchills on Monday and Tuesday to +4C yesterday with new snow and rain then back down to -1C today after work. This weekend is supposed to be a more "normal" January day with highs around -8 or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Day 36: 13 mi (took 2 hrs flat so I entered this as two runs to get credit for the double)

Today's 13 was a fun game of "I am tired and don't want to run, so I will do 30 minutes" and I suckered myself into it. good run - started very easily, ran 6.41 miles in the first hour, then upped the pace to manage 6.59 miles in the second hour.

So I have run 33/36 days, and have "only" done 33 runs, but points-wise am 34/36 because of the "extra credit" for the 2 hr run.
I don't think splitting a long run into halves to get double points was part of the wording, and definitely not part of the intention of the rules. Much less when you fudge the start time of the second half by 2 1/2 hours. Sorry.

-Eric

I respectfully contend that I get credit for two runs when I run for 2 hours straight:
30 min run
60 min something
30 min run

The something simply happens to be running. I believe this has been discussed before, and allowed. I await dev's ruling.

Per "fudging" the start time of the second run, I just hit semi-random times so it would log as 2 runs, which, as I've argued above, I believe it does. People get credit for 2 runs if they run for half an hour, bike for an hour, and then run another half hour, don't they?

dev?

I'm not out to cheat the game and if the consensus is really that a 2 hr run doesn't count as 2 runs, that's fine, but I honestly think it should per the established framework.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am clearly not Dev. I do see Eric's point, however, once you run for 2 hours, I think the Dr has a point. I have done the 30' run, 60' bike, 30' run thing. I think if you run for 2 hours straight, you should be legitimately able to log 2 runs. Then take a nap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

-Eric

I respectfully contend that I get credit for two runs when I run for 2 hours straight:
30 min run
60 min something
30 min run

The something simply happens to be running. I believe this has been discussed before, and allowed. I await dev's ruling.

Per "fudging" the start time of the second run, I just hit semi-random times so it would log as 2 runs, which, as I've argued above, I believe it does. People get credit for 2 runs if they run for half an hour, bike for an hour, and then run another half hour, don't they?

dev?

I'm not out to cheat the game and if the consensus is really that a 2 hr run doesn't count as 2 runs, that's fine, but I honestly think it should per the established framework.

I read Rule 10 as "Runs must separated by at least 1 hour [of NOT RUNNING] to count as multiple sessions" but since it's not specifically called out as such ... Have fun with it

I can see this being on next year's "Grievances" thread

When I started doing my Black Fridays [20K Solo Relay = 4 5Ks within 24 hours], the idea was to do a 5K close to race pace, then give yourself a good long rest period of 6 hrs or so to let all that lactic acid REALLY settle in - and do whatever household stuff needed doing - then do another ... sort of like a long IV drip of suffering

It's fun; y'all should try it

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:

-Eric

As the person challenging the esteemed Dr. Tigerchick's record-keeping, I think the burden is on you, Sir Eric of Biking, to refer to or quote the rule that expressly or impliedly prohibits running during the required 60 min gap time.

If there is no rule on point, then you should fully develop your intention-of-the rules argument. Please refer to or quote any threads that have bearing on the intentions of Dev or others who hammered out the rules.

If anyone else wants to submit ideas, please do. We will want to clear up this business asap.

I've never bothered to read the rules, so all I can say is that if the Tigerchick wants to spend that gap hour running, more power to her. Go, Tigerchick, GO!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I read Rule 10 as "Runs must separated by at least 1 hour [of NOT RUNNING] to count as multiple sessions

Not having read the rules, I assume you inserted the bracketed language?

Because you could read Rule 10 as " Runs must be separated by at least 1 hour [doing WHATEVER you please, including shopping, waiting in line, smelling sweaty, offending strangers, wearing shorts over tights, or running] to count as multiple sessions."
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Jan 24, 19 19:54
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
I read Rule 10 as "Runs must separated by at least 1 hour [of NOT RUNNING] to count as multiple sessions

Not having read the rules, I assume you inserted the bracketed language?

Because you could read Rule 10 as " Runs must be separated by at least 1 hour [doing WHATEVER you please, including shopping, waiting in line, smelling sweaty, offending strangers, wearing shorts over tights, or running] to count as multiple sessions."

Correct, and you are correct as well, Jane

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

Wow-- I just noticed the number of miles a lot people are logging. Good grief!

I love looking at the amount of volume some runners are putting in, it's so impressive. We're not even half way through and 19 people have already hit the 500km mark - truly amazing! Keep up the good work everyone!

Also, well done Calamityjane88, for all the doubles and quadruple - (insert strong arm emoji)

And here I am, flirting with Lanterne Rouge status of the Medal Eligible Contestants

Keep it up everyone

Do Epic Shit!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 hour run should not count as 2. You are in motion, as opposed to the hour break: the body starts healing itself, inflammation building up, heart rate and dopamine levels drop, making it harder to start again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well....I hadn't planned on doubling yesterday, but it happened anyway. Still feel decent today, but I haven't gone for a run yet. :-)

I went for a lunch run, but only had time for 20minutes. So, I was going to just get the extra 10m in when I got home for credit. Family wasn't around when I got home....so, I got on the TM and sorta lost track of time (nothing better to do). When I zoned back in, I'd done another 30 minutes. So, I got off the TM...went and got dinner around before my family got home, had dinner with the family. After another hour went by, I did my final 10m makeup run to get credit for the 20+10 for lunch, and the separate 30m standalone run.

Before we started this challenge (8 weeks prior), I was averaging about 20 mpw, on 5 days a week. Most of the season last year was typical barryP 25-30 mpw on 6 days a week, though. I went into this hoping to finish the challenge in the silver range with 85-90 runs (basically 6 days a week). I figured that was a reasonable goal for my first time participating in the 100/100. But, here we sit almost to the mid-point, and I'm +4 (in the top 50!!), and have averaged 35 mpw for the last 4 weeks in a row. I ran 640 miles total last year---now I'm looking at having 450 or so before April!!

I don't have any niggles, or twinges of pain. I've dug myself into a hole a couple times, but I've been able to run out of it, just by running comfortably easy for 2-3 days without needing to take a day completely OFF. I think its a huge leap (for me) to be able to recover while continuing to log 30m runs. Further, even those easy recovery runs are at a pace which is faster than my tempo runs would have been last summer.

Last year, an easy run would have been a HR of 151 or above, with a typical average of 155--this was still true in the first 14 days of this challenge. Those same runs are now 141 or above, with a typical average of 146. Still today that's at a pace 30+ seconds faster per mile, while at a HR that is 10bpm lower.

All that is to say, pretty freakin' cool. I'm stoked to be able to do this at 50 years old. Running a little all the time, works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 1: 3.6 mi easy
Day 2: 11 mi easy
Day 3: 4 mi moderate
Day 4: 6.2 mi easy
Day 5: 5 mi easy
Day 6: 4.3 mi run (1.5 mi @ 8:34 pace, 1.3 mi @ 8:27 pace)
Day 7: 12 mi run (8.3 @ 8:27 pace)
Day 8: 3.6 mi
Day 9: 11.2 mi
Day 10: 6.45 mi (w/ 1 mi @ 8:00 + 2.1 mi @ 7:53)
Day 11: 7.3 mi
Day 12: 3.6 mi
Day 13: 3.7 mi
Day 14: 4.3 mi progressive
Day 15: 3.6 mi
Day 16: 9.8 mi
Day 17: 12.1 mi
Day 18: 3.1 mi
Day 19: 7.3 mi
Day 20: 5.8 mi
Day 21: 5.5 mi
Day 22: 13.7 mi (w/ 1 x 4ish miles and 1 x 2.3 mi at marathon-ish pace)
Day 23: OFF (1 hr stairmaster + 2 mi walk)
Day 24: 9 mi (w/ 8 x 45 sec fast, 75 sec recovery)
Day 25: 4.8 mi
Day 26: 9 mi
Day 27: 4 mi
Day 28: 6.6 mi
Day 29: 3.5 mi
Day 30: 12 mi
Day 31: OFF (4 mi walk + 2225 yd swim)
Day 32: 4.6 mi
Day 33: 10 mi
Day 34: OFF (31 mi bike)
Day 35: 5.1 mi (last 5k fast)
Day 37: OFF
Day 38: 9.1 mi
Day 39: 6.5 mi
Day 40: 10 mi
Day 41: 3.5 mi (w/ 2 x 1.5 km @ 8:41/mi)
Day 42: 7.2 mi

"off" just means "did not run." I've edited those to say what I actually did. I've been swimming through this all, just too lazy to list it all.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As is my standard procedure on my off-Fridays, after getting D;Wife off to work - I make her lunch, her travel cup of coffee, and make sure whatever book she is currently reading is in her car - I went out on the road around 9AM, hoping to catch a smile & wave from LGLBDG [Legitimately Good-Looking Bus Driver Girl]

This was accomplished

But ... The last week, I only ran every other day at best so I say to myself "Self. Here I am, flirting with Lanterne Rouge status of the Medal Eligible Contestants for @Slowtwitch #ST100in100 #ST100Runs100Days. D'Kid's goofing off in Philly today. Let's go run"

So around 3PM, I did another [30-minute minimum compliant]. It just so happens that is when LGLBDG is making another run, dropping kids off from afterschool activities, I'm guessing?

Then, at dinner time, D'Wife & I had a swim-date

Quote Reply

Prev Next