Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
How was your race??

Nothing special, hit same time as 2 weeks ago.. thought I had 18:30 today but 1 min slower
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
They were cool races-- like maybe 20 or 30 people and a vat of potato soup. That's the kind of race I want to do.

You might have liked the trail race I ran this morning - 29 people showed up total for the 1hr, 3hr and 6hr on a 2.125km loop of mixed rail trail-ish, a parking lot lap, and 3/4 singletrack through the snowy woods.
Edited to add: no potato soup but there are always crock pots of chili (one with meat, one vegetarian) for post-race warmups and refueling.

Of course it was -13c / 9f with 60kph / 37mph wind gusts making it feel like -22c / -8f , and a couple of hundred metres (in each direction) was beside an open field with the north wind whipping snow directly across it. Got a little hard to see at times, but it sure was pretty.

Did the 3hrs (11 laps / 23.375km), waited 1hr15m chatting with people, then headed out for another 3 laps (6.375km) in much deeper and heavier snow and wind to make it a REAL double day.

Last edited by: mistressk: Jan 19, 19 16:41
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Thank you for sharing those pictures! That's beautiful and really cold! That race sounds perfect. I'm impressed that you could go out for a second run. How did you not get mortally chilled after finishing your first?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pictures! That’s pretty badass doing a double in those conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changed out of wet kit right away and put on a fresh set, then sat in the building and had some snacks and a hot cup of coffee to fuel up for run #2. I often train on trails in winter that are an hour's drive or more away so have to be a bit proactive because I freeze to death after runs if I stay in wet kit & don't eat/drink something hot - I have an impressive collection of thermoses and am a champion at changing clothes inside a compact hatchback with all doors closed and the heat blasting.

Quote | Reply
Thanks - I prefer to think I just make bad decisions!

Quote | Reply
Well shit! And I wussed out due to 29f and 30mph winds in Dallas. Spend the day doubling on the treadmill.

NICE WORK! major badass point.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PSA: running on a treadmill after an all-day brew fest is not advised. wow.apparently my 'mill scoots side to side. who knew?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lmao! Good to know.

Thanks for the psa.

That's dedication, I'm not very good at doing a workout after a glass of anything.let alone an all day fest'.

Good on ya.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I should be able to get to some basic running this week. I arrive at the resort in Mexico and this morning did a swim practice with the swim club and then jogged 10 min barefoot on the beach. Then I was out for a walk after breakfast, and decided to jog a bit more bare foot. Which then lead to a sequence of 2-3 min jogs, followed by out and back swims to the buoy line (looks like ~ 100m out). I did that 4 times. I think through the week, I'll do several workout where I do an almost 400IM or a hard free (out and back to the buoy line tiwce) followed by 4 min jogging recovery and repeat. That should allow me to log a legal 100/100 run two days out of three assuming my body holds out and I suspect it will.

I'll post some pics soon as this is better than my Woodway treadmill back home.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to the ST100/100 I banked 30 runs leading up to a local 10-mile road race yesterday (Blue Point Brewery road race, NY) and had my best time in 4 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree about "going out for the second one" In 2008 during 100/100 my car broke down in Canadian winter. I decided that this was the perfect excuse to just park it for a few months and just use my legs to run to work and back (depending on the route and the amount of snow it was 30 - 50 minutes each way). The first run was not a problem to start....I'd just have breakfast, get on my rollers with no fan for 20 minutes and work up a major sweat, but on my winter clothes during which I would be dying from overheating and then bolt out into minus 20C and it was be really nice and refreshing.

The problem was the second run of the day on the way home in the dark in the cold being tired from the entire day....but since my car was broken (which was intentional not to fix to force this second run), I had to do it. But I really hated those first 5 minutes. Luckily my wife's car was working for other assorted household support and weekend stuff. My son's school (by design) was 1k walk from home so he was walking too.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finished up my 5k race this morning, and just wasn't feeling it. Felt fine on the 7;30 pace I started and held, but no eye of the tiger today. Wife warned me I have other duties to perform the rest of the holiday weekend, so no going into the tank..

But did a 23;12 with good HR's, a new PR for the past 5 years at least. And Dan and I were talking the other day, and both of us seem to run much faster on the roads than treadmills, so I got that going for me too. So happy with it, and feel fine to perform fatherly and husbandly duties... (-;

By the way, any of you numbers geeks out there know what a guy with a max heart rate of 160 ought to be able to race a 5k, 10k, hour races at?? Assuming a balanced level of fitness as all, oh ya, and old...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alan couzens has a submax effort vo2max calculator on his website. There was a thread on here last week about it. I put a bunch of my 100/100 runs into it, and got very consistent results across a wide range of efforts.....from z1/z2 (8:30pace) efforts up to fast mile (5:50 pace) repeats. So, for me it was pretty spot on.

Eta: here's the link:

https://alancouzens.com/blog/VO2Scores.html

I'd put your numbers into that and work forward from there using Daniel's formulas.

Had brunch with the family... Gonna go do my bike ride as a warmup and then give the 5k a go.

However, I did a double yesterday for a total of 10miles. That might not have been the best taper strategy for a 5k race today. So, I've got my excuse lined up already. :=)
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 20, 19 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Well shit! And I wussed out due to 29f and 30mph winds in Dallas. Spend the day doubling on the treadmill.

NICE WORK! major badass point.

It was actually colder today: -15c / 5f with 54kph / 33mph wind gusts making it feel like -27c / -17f, and blowing the snow around in drifts and whirlwinds. At least it was sunny!

And of course, there's only one thing to do after a fresh snow and a cold run:

Quote | Reply
I think we live in the same vicinity! Today's windchill had me thinking I would try 3 5k runs, a first at 3 runs/day for me. I exceeded my distance on all 3 runs. The sun was out & with a little wind management I got it done! Would not have done this without the challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! I love the snow angel!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Finished up my 5k race this morning, and just wasn't feeling it. Felt fine on the 7;30 pace I started and held, but no eye of the tiger today. Wife warned me I have other duties to perform the rest of the holiday weekend, so no going into the tank..

But did a 23;12 with good HR's, a new PR for the past 5 years at least. And Dan and I were talking the other day, and both of us seem to run much faster on the roads than treadmills, so I got that going for me too. So happy with it, and feel fine to perform fatherly and husbandly duties... (-;

By the way, any of you numbers geeks out there know what a guy with a max heart rate of 160 ought to be able to race a 5k, 10k, hour races at?? Assuming a balanced level of fitness as all, oh ya, and old...

Treadmill moves at constant speed within the stride. On land your body decelerates and compresses on landing and springs and accelerates on push off. It may be for those of us who are more quad/glute runners, hard land is faster....for the hip flexor/hamstring "throw your recovery leg forward runners" treadmill may be easier to sustain a faster speed on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in awe. I cut my planned run short because it was crazy cold at 40 degrees. How do you do that?

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wimped out on the 5k. I doubled on Friday and again on Saturday... Then did 1x35m @ftp on the bike today. I was thinking that would be my warmup for the 5k. Once I got running, I just had no "go" left. Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday ill try again.

Not really sure what I'm targeting for a time. Sub-19 would be nice. Not sure if I'm there yet, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last two days have been the opposite of confidence building. We arrived in Santa Fe yesterday (altitude 7400'), partly to look at real estate and partly to escape the polar vortex to the east. Not sure how much of the "impact" of altitude is in my head versus my cardiovascular system, but either way ... so hard to run much faster than 9:30 min/mile, if that. A few days ago, I managed sub-7 min/mile with a bit of effort, and only a few hundred feet above sea level. Also, running in the mostly-dry sand of Santa Fe's arroyos is very pretty but also hard and slow.

Still, 1 run up, and still at N-for-N. Arches Ultra is on the table for next weekend, but I can't decide about running an ultra in near freezing temperatures (albeit with sun).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
I'm in awe. I cut my planned run short because it was crazy cold at 40 degrees. How do you do that?

Well, you lay in the snow and flap your arms and legs a bit..

Really, it mostly comes down to managing wind and skin exposure, and careful fabric choices. Upper body base layer is always merino wool when it's below about 11f, and I wear merino wool socks on 99% of runs year-round - thicker ones (with appropriately sized-up shoes) for deep cold. I cover most of my face with a merino wool tubular thing worn as a hood, over top of a hat with a peak that I can use to block wind/snow from my face if it gets really bad, and a warm earband (I have a ton of metal in my ears and have frozen them solid before - no bueno). I have 2 windproof but breathable LG cycling jackets (for double run days) that are usually all I need; below 5f I'll sometimes wear a hybrid synthetic insulated jacket that has un-insulated softshell panels from wrist to hip along the inner side of the arms and sides of the torso for breathability, though it still gets soaked - primaloft silver insulation still does its job when wet, though. For long distance/duration or super cold I'll wear windproof pants over top of Sugoi Midzero (roubaix-type fabric) tights, but yesterday's run was just in a pair of Sugoi Subzero tights (heavier version) - quads were a little chilled when running into the wind, but the sun on the black tights helps and I didn't do the snow angel until I was done my run and cool-down. I've also been using a pair of Craft's Storm tights since 2011, which have a windproof front and thick, fleecy interior; they're pretty money for serious cold, and have always been called my "armageddon-y tights".

Oh, and mittens. Gloves suck. My fav are from Running Room, have a soft fleece lining, a windproof exterior, and a soft nose wipe patch on the back of the thumb. They're not perfect - after a couple of hours of sweating on Saturday the finger portion of them froze solid in the wind, and the thumb doesn't have the windproofing because of the nose wipe (to which a bunch of blowing snow froze, turning them into sandpaper - yeesh) - but they're the best I've found.

PaulDavis wrote:
I can't decide about running an ultra in near freezing temperatures (albeit with sun).

That's almost the perfect temperature: no overheating, comfortable in a wind vest to give you extra pockets for snacks, less dehydration concern, and will motivate you to stay moving - no camping out at the aid stations!

Quote | Reply
PaulDavis wrote:
Last two days have been the opposite of confidence building. We arrived in Santa Fe yesterday (altitude 7400'), partly to look at real estate and partly to escape the polar vortex to the east. Not sure how much of the "impact" of altitude is in my head versus my cardiovascular system, but either way ... so hard to run much faster than 9:30 min/mile, if that. A few days ago, I managed sub-7 min/mile with a bit of effort, and only a few hundred feet above sea level. Also, running in the mostly-dry sand of Santa Fe's arroyos is very pretty but also hard and slow.

Still, 1 run up, and still at N-for-N. Arches Ultra is on the table for next weekend, but I can't decide about running an ultra in near freezing temperatures (albeit with sun).

7400 feet is substantial.

I did an "altitude effect" test in 2015 in Bormio Italy. The climb up Stelvio goes form Bormio at 4500 feet to the summit at ~9000 ft. I figured that climb would take me 90-100 minutes based on the VAM (vertical altitude meters I can sustain....1000-1150m per hour was what I could do at the time, so this should be no problem).

Next thing is that I had raced several half Ironmans that year at 210-227W power for ~2:30 depending on course. As such I knew that 220W for 90 minutes with NO SWIM OR RUN should be "easy".

I started out at Bormio with my power meter pegged at 220W. This seemed easy enough until I got over 6000 ft altitude at which point it became laboured. By the time I reached 7000 feet, the effort of 220W which is my half IM race pace, felt harder than sprint tri effort, but doable. Once I massed 8000 feet, it felt like I was riding a 10 mile ITT. Once I was at 8500 feet, the perceived exertion at 220W was as if I was running the final half lap of a mile running race. It was insane pain AND my power kept dropping below 220W which was my "steady" half IM race pace.

The reason why I was doing this, 3 weeks before IM Lake Tahoe was to establish a power deration "graph" in my head between 6000 feet and 7700 feet which I believe was the high altitude on the Brockway climb at IM Tahoe. I am glad I did it, because on loop one 200W up the climb felt "easy" but I knew I had to respect the altitude and dial back to 180W max which felt like crawling. On loop 2, I could barely hold 180W and I was passing all kinds of people. On that day I averaged a puny 165W for a 5:39 bike split on the crazy course.

Anyway, just wanted to share some power vs altitude data which would roughly map to altitude running. As a point of reference my FTP at the time was around 265W, so at 7500 my 'effective FTP" was down barely to 220ish watts.....so you can equate that deration to your running effort and see the picture.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how all you folks are out running in that white stuff. Kudos!!

I had my first of two half marathons this winter yesterday. Finished up 1:23:03 which I'm very happy with given I rode my bike for over 7 hrs in the 2 days before the marathon (off not much bike training). Hoping I can take 3:04 off that time in a couple weeks with a proper taper.

Also, I am now 5 runs behind par (didn't run either of those two big bike days, or today), and will add at least one more the day after the next race. I figure I'll just try and double once per week after that and should be able to catch back up by the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dale, since we were talking about VO2 awhile back, I just put in my info from Sunday's race into the Alan Couzen's VO2 calculator linked above and it spit out 65. That seems ridiculous. Do you think my HR during Sunday's race was suppressed from all the fatigue I carried into the race, thus giving an elevated VO2 calc?

Inputs:
74kg
192bpm max hr
resting hr ~40 (I don't track this but it doesn't seem to play that big of factor)
Pace: 6:20/mile
HR: 165bpm
Quote Reply

Prev Next