Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should have waved while you where in Hubertus!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah! Closest we got was Monches. My in-laws live in Ashippun. Good luck with the deep freeze this weekend - we're out of here!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
And I thought it was ridiculously cold at 45 this morning. Glad to see you still running though!

Sunday and Monday mornings are due for 26*F here in Austin. I might put a shirt on. That's not even a joke; I might wear one.

It's funny the effect gamification has. Yesterday was my first rest day since the challenge started, and even though it only took me from +5 to +4, seeing that number go down made it so much harder than a rest day normally is. I'll be trying to get back to at least +7 in the next month before my race and if I achieve that, I should be able to make it to the end at 100+.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Alabama Viking wrote:
And I thought it was ridiculously cold at 45 this morning. Glad to see you still running though!

Sunday and Monday mornings are due for 26*F here in Austin. I might put a shirt on. That's not even a joke; I might wear one.

I'm hoping the forecast changes & it doesn't drop that low.

Monday's alright, I can just bundle up & joggle off, but Sunday's the 3M half marathon... Not sure if a thin hoody is viable racing attire for 26F.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
56 years old. 6'2" 190. FOP swimmer and a decent biker who has always struggled with the run. My half IM runs are generally in the 2:05 range and full IM close to five hours. Even a mediocre run would put me in the top 10 in most IM races.....so, that is my goal....I aspire for mediocrity!

I am using this challenge to see if I have any ability to be anything better than embarrassingly slow. In general I am doing just a bit more than the minimum; 30-40 minute runs on most days and longer on the weekend. I have 3 in the bank and haven't missed a day since before Christmas, so the challenge has worked well at keeping my head in the game.

The last three weeks have been 30+ miles which I have never been close to previously. Planning to try to get to the low 40s by the end of the challenge.

Looking forward to seeing if consistency will pay off.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Alabama Viking wrote:

It's funny the effect gamification has. Yesterday was my first rest day since the challenge started, and even though it only took me from +5 to +4, seeing that number go down made it so much harder than a rest day normally is. I'll be trying to get back to at least +7 in the next month before my race and if I achieve that, I should be able to make it to the end at 100+.

21F and 25F respectively up here in DFW. I'll probably wear tights. tights and no shirt might be a sight. :-)

I missed 4 over xmas, but I've made those back and I'm +1 at the moment. Planning to double tonight for +2, and again on Thursday. Haven't taken a rest day since the 29th---and don't feel any building need to do so. I doubled yesterday, and doubled 4 times last week, I've run 35 miles in the last 7 days, and 40 miles the week before that, and 130+ miles in the challenge so far. Nothing like the top-100 mileages....but, that's *my* highest monthly (by 10miles), and weekly volume (by 2 miles) in the last 10 years. Even though I've been following BarryP for the last two years, this is the least fatigued I've felt....basically running 4 miles at a time once or twice a day.

For whatever reason (even though I doubled last night)....Today @ lunch was just one of those magical runs:: Just floating along, low HR, strong pace, barely feeling the feet hit the ground.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed several magical days last week of sunshine and effortless. The good old days!

This week it's an entirely different story. Trouble: sleeplessness, no appetite, tired legs, low motivation. I skipped dinner the last 3 nights because I just didn't feel like eating. Things are not improving (duh) so now my plan is to eat whether it appeals to me or not.

I went from 30 mph to 40 mph last week. We've had 3 days of rain. With the inevitable return of sunshine and dropping back to closer to 30 mpw (plus calories), I should get my mojo back, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eating more worked for me. I was in a bad way last Friday after 4 doubles in 6 days in addition to swimming every day this year.

I went and got some vanilla pudding from the cafeteria with whipped cream and oreos. Made a big difference. I've been eating more this week, which seems to be helping keep the energy levels up.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your note. I'm going to take care of the basics AND sing the Mr. Golden Sun (please shine down on me) song. I think success is all but guaranteed. All together now... 🎵
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
Toby wrote:
Alabama Viking wrote:

I'm hoping the forecast changes & it doesn't drop that low.

Monday's alright, I can just bundle up & joggle off, but Sunday's the 3M half marathon... Not sure if a thin hoody is viable racing attire for 26F.

Houston half is Sunday as well. It's not so much the freezing temps that has me worried, it's the forecasted 20-30 mph N wind! And miles 9, 10 & 11 are straight to the N!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cold outdoor ride today up here in Boston prior to some snow that's finally coming in. Then I did 30 mins on the treadmill. Gonna have to bank some runs in soon, 3 day ski trip in VT starting next Thursday! So far so good, holding par....

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubled again last night, and did miles repeats at 5k pace on the TM. Today at lunch I slogged through 3.7miles in the middle of zone1. Felt more like tempo...but, the watch doesn't agree. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This week it's an entirely different story. Trouble: sleeplessness, no appetite, tired legs, low motivation. I skipped dinner the last 3 nights because I just didn't feel like eating. Things are not improving (duh) so now my plan is to eat whether it appeals to me or not. //

Sorry to hear this, but I think everyone in the challenge is going through something similar at different points. I have had a couple stretches that I just worked out slow through, usually a sleep and rest issue, sleep being #1. I find that 2 or 3 days of minimal training at super easy paces, usually bounces me back. And like Tom, if I eat some really bad food the night before like ice cream or cake, I seem to feel much better the next day. I see the training you are doing, I think maybe you dont know what easy really is?? Like today, I did my run at a HR between 78 and 96 for the 35 minutes. Of course for you that would be higher, but not that much..To go slow, you have to train slow...(-;

Snap out of it, my big race uphill is tomorrow, and if all goes well, I will be entering that 5k this weekend. Anyone else in the area going???

And congratulations to all once again, I did my catch up run to get on par, made the top 100 if I logged in early morning, and now it is not possible again. So you all in the top 150 or so are still humping it, and for everyone in the to 100 falling off pace, there seems to be one or two coming up to replace you..But like Dan said, we will make our move after halfway, ya that's what we are gonna do...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Like today, I did my run at a HR between 78 and 96 for the 35 minutes. Of course for you that would be higher, but not that much..To go slow, you have to train slow...(-;

Totally agree with slowing down. Up until about 10 days ago, I was averaging right at 8 mpm, and talking myself into thinking that I was running slow, even though my HR was top of z2, low z3. It was starting to catch up with me. I slowed down about 20-30s per mile, to drop my HR into the top of z1. As noted today, my HR was more middle z1...after last nights mile-repeats. But, overall in the last several days pace has been creeping back up even through HR is still staying low. Today my HR was 15 bpm below my average 2 weeks ago.

The last 10 days have really taught me how to run slower. Like most of us (I'm guessing) I've always been pretty bad at that. Its too easy to get caught up in the just 5s per mile faster mentality. But, when I drop the leash....I'm getting pretty speedy (small humble brag :-).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Monty. I had chips and guacamole, and we had sunshine today. Things were just easier.

I had forgotten that music can be helpful to stop my "but I don't want to" thoughts. My DJ (12 yr old son) played "Another One Bites the Dust" to rev me up this morning. It was helpful.

I'm still game for Sunday. My plan will be to take Saturday easy. Good luck and be tough tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
This week it's an entirely different story. Trouble: sleeplessness, no appetite, tired legs, low motivation. I skipped dinner the last 3 nights because I just didn't feel like eating. Things are not improving (duh) so now my plan is to eat whether it appeals to me or not. //

Sorry to hear this, but I think everyone in the challenge is going through something similar at different points. I have had a couple stretches that I just worked out slow through, usually a sleep and rest issue, sleep being #1. I find that 2 or 3 days of minimal training at super easy paces, usually bounces me back. And like Tom, if I eat some really bad food the night before like ice cream or cake, I seem to feel much better the next day. I see the training you are doing, I think maybe you dont know what easy really is?? Like today, I did my run at a HR between 78 and 96 for the 35 minutes. Of course for you that would be higher, but not that much..To go slow, you have to train slow...(-;

Snap out of it, my big race uphill is tomorrow, and if all goes well, I will be entering that 5k this weekend. Anyone else in the area going???

And congratulations to all once again, I did my catch up run to get on par, made the top 100 if I logged in early morning, and now it is not possible again. So you all in the top 150 or so are still humping it, and for everyone in the to 100 falling off pace, there seems to be one or two coming up to replace you..But like Dan said, we will make our move after halfway, ya that's what we are gonna do...(-;

HA!

one of my room-mates years ago was famous for stating he was going to 'make his move', during a sprint tri after the swim, even interviewed by the local news because they were there (*problem was he was last out of the water)

we chided him for months about that quote....

and no, his move wasn't enough

I was not a triathlete at the time but I loved being able to bust him forever for such an idiotic comment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh...about 30 or so runs in, and last night I felt the fatigue really starting to creep up on me. I'm doing this challenge while also trying to rebuild my bike base, and typically doing these runs after my bike ride (typically trainer).

I've run 145km over the past 4 weeks (which is probably more than any four week stretch in my life, though I know its not much for some), while also putting in 1,200km on the bike with lots of Z3 tempo. No swimming during this stretch.

So, I'm at that point where it is getting more tempting to scale back. But I'm thinking this is the inflection point where if I just push through, I will get to another level and the benefits will come - at least that's what I'm tricking myself into thinking :-)

Congrats to those of you able to do more runs, higher mileage, etc...truly impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [teetopkram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teetopkram wrote:
Ugh...about 30 or so runs in, and last night I felt the fatigue really starting to creep up on me. I'm doing this challenge while also trying to rebuild my bike base, and typically doing these runs after my bike ride (typically trainer).

I've run 145km over the past 4 weeks (which is probably more than any four week stretch in my life, though I know its not much for some), while also putting in 1,200km on the bike with lots of Z3 tempo. No swimming during this stretch.

So, I'm at that point where it is getting more tempting to scale back. But I'm thinking this is the inflection point where if I just push through, I will get to another level and the benefits will come - at least that's what I'm tricking myself into thinking :-)

Congrats to those of you able to do more runs, higher mileage, etc...truly impressive.

i would manage your fatigue now. my guess is that you'll be much better equipped to double up, catch up, get ahead, in the second half. the first half is to prepare you for the second half.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [teetopkram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teetopkram wrote:
But I'm thinking this is the inflection point.

It could well be.

teetopkram wrote:
where if I just push through.

If you don't do that.

It's fine to rock a little fatigue, but its the backing off that'll result in a nice bump.

Rest, eat, prepare for the next 30.
Last edited by: SteveM: Jan 17, 19 11:29
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How to know though? I'm also feeling the fatigue creeping up . At least I think I am. No big problem once I'm out there just finding it harder to get out, more of an effort now than an automatic action and the runs are regularly getting later in the day, sometimes with a panicked post dinner "can't stop the streak now". I'm first time on the challenge and mainly scraping the bare minimum 30 mns or so with a longer run on a Sunday when I can. Still trying to convince myself that when I do finally take a break I will spot the gains, and still hoping that the magic 60 that's been mentioned once or twice will be a tipping point to something good. Have never run more than 4 days streak before and even running bare minimum at easy pace my weekly mileage is well up on even peak training weeks previously. My main aim with this is to improve my pace/Hr and hopefully build a stronger base to train harder on and ultimately improve times across all tri distances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teetopkram wrote:

My experience with my marathon training was that I'd go through periods where I just had nothing, and the only way out was through. After working through it I'd have the fitness bump.

I hope that's what's going on now, because I told my coach this morning that it's like someone stole my legs. I'm not tired, sore, or injured (at least that I feel) - I just have no zip, no zoom, no anything. Call down to the engine room for full power and they yell up that they're already doing that.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mental fatigue of the 100/100 is real. I recommend using positive self-talk and music to assist you getting out the door. Bribe yourself. Go thru your whole bag of tricks. Once you're running, it tends to get easier to finish these puny little 30 minute runs (which are doing subtle but important things for you).

You can take days off. I took days off multiple times last year and doubled and tripled later in the challenge. I've taken a day off this year already, I'm pretty sure.

Remember, you will be stronger mentally and physically when this thing is over. I can say the physical and mental benefits will last for at least a year. (I did my first 100/100 last year. I'm stronger this year from it.)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job making it into the rarified air of the later stages of Bruce. Hope the stress echo looks good! //

So did my test today, and here are the relative stats from last years to this years. Last year 182lbs, this year 171. Last year was doing the challenge, but just running every 3rd day, sometimes every other. This year am running par thus far, but much slower paces than last year. Last year I popped at 16 1/2 minutes at 158 heart rate, this year I went 19;05@160HR!!! New record for the 60+ age group, and they cant even remember the last time someone went that fast(probably me over 10 years ago at 22 1/2).

So as those of you who have done this know, I made it to 10 flat pace at 22% grade, which is a ball buster. Cannot even train that, every treadmill I use only goes to 15%..So very happy with the result, 2 1/2 minutes longer than last year at about same max HR. SO goal for next year is to drop another 10 lbs and hit that 20 minute barrier, and get my T-Shirt!!!

IT was a 3 hour drive there this morning, traffic was snarled in the rain storm, and 2 hours getting home, so I decided to double up today with an easy out of the truck run to loosen up. Hopefully I dont have a blood clot from all that sitting. And good news is my heart seems to be fine, pacemaker doing what it needs to do, and I can relax for another year I guess....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Nice job making it into the rarified air of the later stages of Bruce. Hope the stress echo looks good! //

So did my test today, and here are the relative stats from last years to this years. Last year 182lbs, this year 171. Last year was doing the challenge, but just running every 3rd day, sometimes every other. This year am running par thus far, but much slower paces than last year. Last year I popped at 16 1/2 minutes at 158 heart rate, this year I went 19;05@160HR!!! New record for the 60+ age group, and they cant even remember the last time someone went that fast(probably me over 10 years ago at 22 1/2).

So as those of you who have done this know, I made it to 10 flat pace at 22% grade, which is a ball buster. Cannot even train that, every treadmill I use only goes to 15%..So very happy with the result, 2 1/2 minutes longer than last year at about same max HR. SO goal for next year is to drop another 10 lbs and hit that 20 minute barrier, and get my T-Shirt!!!

IT was a 3 hour drive there this morning, traffic was snarled in the rain storm, and 2 hours getting home, so I decided to double up today with an easy out of the truck run to loosen up. Hopefully I dont have a blood clot from all that sitting. And good news is my heart seems to be fine, pacemaker doing what it needs to do, and I can relax for another year I guess....

Low risk test!
Nice.

Congratulations on that most important fact.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dale, since you have the proper machine there in the office, do you have a crack at the protocol very often? You can now give you patients a new goal, tell that a 63 year old man has cracked 19!! Probably more something for you and your running buddies to shoot for at 60+, those real heart patients usually end up tapping out before it even gets to running...

Thank you challenge running partners, our group runs are working....
Quote Reply

Prev Next