Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds pretty good. I like the 6:45 am start time.

The price for a 5k seems a little high, but if my competition includes the illustrious Monty and I'll earn a long sleeve technical tee, it's alright.

Did you see how you can pay $50 to run a virtual 5k on your own if you can't make it to the race? Imagine how many dozens of dollars slowman would make if he charged for ST virtual challenges!

I'm not signing up unless you sign up. So, say the word.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went out last night right as the sun was going down and had the most amazing run..... just one of those runs where everything feels right and the pace is effortless.

The run kept me on track with one per day so far and put me over 200 miles since the start of the challenge. Overall, it is going very well.

For anyone who is interested, I have recently started running in the Nike, Epic React, Flyknit. It is a phenomenal shoe that is noticeably "better" than what I was previously running in. I rarely care that much about what shoe I am using (I run in a wide variety of shoes, changing it up every day) but since I bought the flyknit, that is the shoe I want to be wearing. Looking back at my logs, every run in this shoe is a "great run". Last years version of the shoe can be purchased for $76, shipped to your door, at Running Warehouse. And, no, I don't work for them.

Happy running!

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not signing up unless you sign up. So, say the word. //

It will be last minute if I go, as I have a kind of race on Thursday, my yearly stress echo at my cardiologist. This is the first year in many that I will have a chance to break my old, slow 60+ year old record on the Bruce protocol. In my early 50's I went 22 1/2 minutes, the longest they had ever seen, but lately 16 minutes has been a challenge. I think I can go 17+ this time though, we will see. But at any rate it is an all out, blow yourself up effort, running up 20% if you are lucky!!! If you can find a treadmill with good elevation, give it a go!! Every stage is 3 minutes long, then onto the next one...

Bruce Treadmill Test Stages
Stage 1 = 1.7 mph at 10% Grade Stage 2 = 2.5 mph at 12% Grade Stage 3 = 3.4 mph at 14% Grade Stage 4 = 4.2 mph at 16% Grade Stage 5 = 5.0 mph at 18% Grade Stage 6 = 5.5 mph at 20% Grade Stage 7 = 6.0 mph at 22% Grade Stage 8 = 6.5 mph at 24% Grade Stage 9 = 7.0 mph at 26% Grade

I made the front page of the challenge!!! Well I got up early and ran, and logged fast before all the others get theirs done later... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
Nike, Epic React, Flyknit. It is a phenomenal shoe that is noticeably "better" than what I was previously running in. I rarely care that much about what shoe I am using (I run in a wide variety of shoes, changing it up every day) but since I bought the flyknit, that is the shoe I want to be wearing. Looking back at my logs, every run in this shoe is a "great run". Last years version of the shoe can be purchased for $76, shipped to your door, at Running Warehouse. And, no, I don't work for them. Happy running!

I got those shoes for my daughter. I would have to say the materials - fabric and foams are (finally) getting into pro grade technology. My Brooks are the same, just an enjoyable shoe to run in vs a few years ago.

The chemical formulas for foams are quite complex. The formulations used for our Intuition Boot Liners are in a similar class and it's a game changer for boot/ski technology.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened? I took a couple days off running and I am 5 days back. Wow, I need to get my act together.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

It will be last minute if I go, as I have a kind of race on Thursday, my yearly stress echo at my cardiologist. This is the first year in many that I will have a chance to break my old, slow 60+ year old record on the Bruce protocol. In my early 50's I went 22 1/2 minutes, the longest they had ever seen, but lately 16 minutes has been a challenge. I think I can go 17+ this time though, we will see. But at any rate it is an all out, blow yourself up effort, running up 20% if you are lucky!!! If you can find a treadmill with good elevation, give it a go!! Every stage is 3 minutes long, then onto the next one...

Stage 1 = 1.7 mph at 10% Grade Stage 2 = 2.5 mph at 12% Grade Stage 3 = 3.4 mph at 14% Grade Stage 4 = 4.2 mph at 16% Grade Stage 5 = 5.0 mph at 18% Grade Stage 6 = 5.5 mph at 20% Grade Stage 7 = 6.0 mph at 22% Grade Stage 8 = 6.5 mph at 24% Grade Stage 9 = 7.0 mph at 26% Grade

I made the front page of the challenge!!! Well I got up early and ran, and logged fast before all the others get theirs done later... (-;

I used to taper for my own stress test-and held the record in my office at 22.5 minutes for a while (age 54) but one of my patients beat me 2 years ago by going 23+ minutes...Nice job making it into the rarified air of the later stages of Bruce. Hope the stress echo looks good!

After a 5 run/3 bike day yesterday, just doing a double today seemed pretty easy. Gotta again give huge props to bluestacks for hamster-wheeling those early days. I got a little taste of the type of dedication you need.

You've really got to be spot on to make the most of your time. Hit 30 minutes and know when the next run starts and be ready for it. I was not that precise yesterday, just wanting to just 'exercise all day' (*started at 8am, done at 5pm) and it was still pretty challenging. He was a beast, however...

At least I've got a little cushion now to stay on track... Dreary and still cold here in CT. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
8:24 AM on Saturday, January 12, 2019

Last edited by: dtoce: Jan 12, 19 12:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

It will be last minute if I go, as I have a kind of race on Thursday

I think you'll be happy with the results of your stress test. Don't you think you're in pretty decent shape?

I'm good with racing or not. If we do, let's do a good warm up. I'm very stiff and slow for the first mile or mile and half. Also, if any other ST'ers want to join, please do!!

I ran 2x today. I ran with my new, LIVE running buddy for the 2nd run. She's a runner/ triathlete, lives nearby, kids same age as mine. Yay!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Lunchtime session. Decided to get my feet wet and hit the grass it was great!

<https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link

Hey I got a comment posted up from the legendary Kenyan coach @timolimo800 = I'm stoked!

So I was wondering with all the crack runners in this 100/100 has anyone ever been to Kenya, the holy-land of running?
A runner-friend of mine said their base is at altitude as well.

PS found the link..
<http://www.kenyarunningcamp.com/

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Jan 12, 19 12:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my university xc team mates is instrumental in this organization

http://Www.runforlife.ca. they have a run in Kenya program that looks very cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

My cardiologist told me they kept 'winner' shirts for anyone who made 22 or so minutes in the Bruce test. He said they'd only needed to give away half a dozen or so over the years. Note that this is a large practice affiliated with the athletics department at a big university. In my ignorance, I told him to go ahead and get one dry cleaned/folded before my first test...

Ha! At 18 minutes it was all over...

20+ minutes at any age is no joke...you guys doing that at over 50 is pretty stout. Nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am starting to feel this 100/100. My paces haved slowed. my legs are tired. my cycling and swimming are suffering. my feet are tired. I am certainly glad to see that some of the other people have slowed their number of runs posted. I think some of us may have come out of the gate pretty hot. sorry about the typing, im zwifting at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This morning's run actually felt worse than last Sunday's post-ultra slog.

Of course, my usually incredibly helpful and supportive husband had hernia surgery on Monday and is now out of commission completely for 4 weeks (plus another 4 weeks of light duties at work - it was...bad). This means on top of my full-time job I now get to:
- wash all the dishes
- do all the laundry (and there's a LOT due to this challenge, especially since bitter cold has arrived this week)
- feed / clean up after our 3 cats
- drive ~12hrs / week through rush hour traffic in a manual transmission (he usually drives us to work & back - over an hour each way - while I nap)
- grocery shop / farmer's market shop by myself

...on less sleep than usual (5-ish hrs instead of 6-ish), because my naps are gone and I have to spend a lot more time doing chores each evening.

This on top of the post-ultra exhaustion, and during my busiest week of the year at work - I handle payroll for 30+ companies, and have to do year-end reconciliations for all of them by Jan 15th - so I'm struggling. I got in a double yesterday and do plan to run again this afternoon, but that will probably be it other than lunch runs Mon-Thu this week since I have a 3-hour trail race on Saturday...assuming I make it that far without collapsing into a heap.

Yeah, guess this really belongs in the Cry Like a Biatch thread instead. Anyway, here's a tiny frozen waterfall from yesterday's 5-ish mile trail run:

Last edited by: mistressk: Jan 13, 19 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made it to 30! This weekend was tough here in the Midwest with over 10" of snow. Managed to stay off the treadmill by using my Yak Trax on a plowed street. Knees are getting sore and that is probably from starting Zwifting the first of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Made it to 30! This weekend was tough here in the Midwest with over 10" of snow. Managed to stay off the treadmill by using my Yak Trax on a plowed street.

I made up my missed day with a double-day in the snow today as well. Here in southern Indiana, got about 6" yesterday with another 2" last night. Made for some really pretty and fun running in the snow.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oooh, thanks for sharing, might try the Bruce Protocol for kicks and giggles. I have done it twice - lab rat for the ex phys dept in college - and don't remember the minutes.

Today I am tired and didn't want to run at all, but the training plan said 12 miles so I made the following deals with myself
1. I will run half an hour so I get my 100/100 point and re-evaluate.
2. If I run for at least 75 minutes, I will treat myself to whatever I want for lunch.

of course then I got my run done (+475 yd cooldown swim) and no food at all seemed appetizing. On the upside of things, I feel I have earned a nap.

You know what? Marathon training felt a lot easier when I was 18.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m still one behind schedule (and am going to take another day off tomorrow), but am sitting about 15th in overall mileage. I’ll make up the missed runs after the two half marathons I’m racing the next few weeks. Too many long and hard runs right now to double or not take a day off.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tried to keep it as easy as possible today between swimming and running everyday in 2029 and 4 doubles to get caught up in the last week... Lots of fatigue build up in the last 2 weeks.

Got my 30th in this afternoon on the treadmill. Just a gentle jog.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20+ minutes at any age is no joke...you guys doing that at over 50 is pretty stout. Nice. //

Ya, when I was early 50's and my heart surgery and pacemaker had settled into a routine, I got serious a few years just training for this stupid test. When I was a young pro I went to a physiology center for testing, and for some reason I could run uphill on treadmills better than most 30 10k runners, think it was all the cycling that carried over.

So I made my 30 today too, gonna take it down a notch on running and try and do a kind of taper for Thursdays big Bruce race!!! Pretty sure I only did a little over 16 last year, so at 63 now, I think I can put that away by a good margin. But as you know, the margins each minute are brutal in that protocol. I won't make the 10 minute pace up 22% grade anymore, but the one just before is plenty to max me out. Now just have to stay healthy and dont do anything stupid. I did feel great in the pool today after running, so pushed on the gas a bit, but swimming always makes my legs feel better...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My morning commute was a bit messing this morning - my water bottles froze. In the bridge picture you can see the tractor trailer in frame. I was on high alert to hit the ground if any sheets of ice detached from any vehicles.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic reference at the end. Tremendous.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I thought it was ridiculously cold at 45 this morning. Glad to see you still running though!

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to run commute back in the early 2000s, when I lived in Colorado. Similarly, I lived 9 miles from the office. Often, I would alternate between riding and running. Ride-in, run-home...then reverse that the next day.

I don't think I ever had to worry about ice sheets coming off cars/trucks though. Yikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All,

Thank you each for your stories, pictures, and humorous commentary - it is great to have a (virtual) community.

I am certainly enjoying the challenge again this year and am finding it pretty easy to get out the door every day so far - with a few doubles sprinkled here and there. I think this has once again been a good kickstart to build consistency.

Thanks again,

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mlawless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We (wife and I) finally had a weekend with some almost-serious-running-mileage. Managed 11 miles on the Ice Age Trail near Holy Hill, WI on Saturday, with some lovely variations in the trail surroundings. Got out again on Sunday for 13 miles in Madison WI, repeating a common run from the Marquette neighborhood to Picnic Point and beyond, and then back again.

Running outside in below-freezing weather is challenging, and a bit depressing. 30 minute runs don't really challenge one's clothing choices much, but 1:45-2:00 runs ... you will sweat no matter how cold it is, your clothes will get damp, you will feel the chill.

At the end of this week, we begin our descent into the US southwest, but not really far enough south for for it to be "warm". Still hard to believe that I'm supposed to run 50km in Arches National Park two weekends from now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next