Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [chillwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else get errors when connecting with Strava?

Result: Error
Failed: resource: Application code: exceeded field: rate limit
Result: Error
Failed: resource: Application code: exceeded field: rate limit
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric mentioned this somewhere today. It's because so many are hitting it at once.
He said just be patient... And try again later. It will sort out once things slow down.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, it uploaded after a little while!

Thanks for the reply! Happy running!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else getting race jitters? Those Australians are already way ahead of me, and before you know it the Germans are at it. I feel like I'll be playing catchup for, like, 100 days!

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah! Let’s do this
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It feels so official when it's posted by Dan. :)

I've done the true 100 (no doubles, no days off), 100 with doubles, and various levels of gold and silver over the years.

Feeling good this year and I'm going for it again.

Let's do this!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give it a try !

To be efficient, should I stick to my classic running plan and add 30 mins slow runs during days off, or should I try to start with 30min every day of slow run then increase load ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I've got my first one in. Only 99 to go!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strangename wrote:
I'll give it a try !

To be efficient, should I stick to my classic running plan and add 30 mins slow runs during days off, or should I try to start with 30min every day of slow run then increase load ?

I don't know what your old plan is, but let's say it is 4 hours per week of running then 7x30 min easy is only 3.5 hours so should be easy. If you are already at 4 hours of doing a variety of stuff including harder runs, intervals and hills, going up to 5 hours and initially making them easy runs should be pretty simple and risk free. If you want to keep your old program and add some 30 min runs, I'd dial back a bit on the intensity of the old program when adding more runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
I agree; this time last year I was on run-walk so was logging 30+ minutes but not all of it was at running pace. Hell, even my running pace probably wouldn't satisfy some people on here.

so pause your watch when walking
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's good to be back. Not on ST regularly anymore, since I'm generally not active or training etc. (other than to briefly comment on the amazeballs of my neighbor Gene Dykes). But it's 100/100 time and I love what this does for me. This will be my 4th outing. I've completed 2 (gold level), and dropped out of another. Going for gold again this winter, with the first scheduled "outing" being a 50k in Moab at the end of January. Also participating is my wife, who outdid me for distance last year, and finished a few days early.

We opened 100/100 with a 10k on mixed terrain on the edge of Phila., with combination of sidewalk, road, grass, gravel and wooded trails around the Belmont Plateau, the home of some fine x-country racing.

Last year's forum thread seemed to distinctly lack energy, so let's try harder this year. Tell us all about your runs, the weather, your failures and successes. Photos also add to the mood! Yes, there's Instagram but let's keep it "old" school too!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulDavis wrote:
Last year's forum thread seemed to distinctly lack energy, so let's try harder this year. Tell us all about your runs, the weather, your failures and successes. Photos also add to the mood! Yes, there's Instagram but let's keep it "old" school too!

i think we have some kind of instagram integration, tho i'm not sure what it is or how it works. but i'm with you. forum embeds work as well.

i think we have a lot more folks signed up this year than last. when it's all over, in a couple of days, we'll see how many we have, but, after some decline in this challenge in recent years, i have an inkling this may be our biggest year ever. highly possible we'll break 600 and i don't know that we ever have.

i'm heading out now, with the dogs, on my inaugural 100/100 run.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone will have to remind me about how to post pictures here on slow twitch…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I did run number 1 and logged it....the training log sure looks different than my last 100/100 10 years ago. Boston is April 15th so 4 months of a bit more run focus will do me some good. Last time I raced Boston was 2009 and I definitely used this challenge to rack up some big runs. Need to be more balanced this time now that I'm north of 50.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, so I got Strava to connect without the errors, but how do I get my run to flow onto the leaderboard? I'm still showing 0 and ran yesterday...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of dogs do you have?

I ran my first run with my pup this morning- he’s an Australian Shepherd and he keeps me honest with pacing.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go to the training log

hit connect with strava button
then hit sync with strava now

there will be a pop up telling how many activities were added

recheck the log/leaderboard
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
go to the training log

hit connect with strava button
then hit sync with strava now

there will be a pop up telling how many activities were added

recheck the log/leaderboard

Hmmm, I've done that a few times, and again just now...still 0
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [flychris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flychris wrote:
What kind of dogs do you have?

I ran my first run with my pup this morning- he’s an Australian Shepherd and he keeps me honest with pacing.

mostly the kind that like to play grabass while i'm trying to run.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Someone will have to remind me about how to post pictures here on slow twitch…

when you reply to a post, this is what you see. if you don't see this it's because you're in "basic editor". look just below your text box, when you're replying, and hit "advanced editor" if you don't have a screen that looks like this, in the attachment. click that icon. i'm usually uploading from a file i have on my desktop computer. either reply that you're still stuck, or, i want to see your pic!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thx Dan, but all my pics seem to be 'greater than 250kb' so I think I have to do something with tinypic or some other place...can't remember what the steps were...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If only there was a helpful set of instructions hidden away somewhere on this forum...

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
On Dec 15th the 2018/19 edition of the 100 runs in 100 days Challenge, commonly known as 100/100, commences. The thing has evolved somewhat over the past few years, due to and contrary to popular demand. This is the official boast, complain and relate thread, that will remain active until March 24th, the final day of the Challenge. The last few years we have had 500+ athletes from all over the world. Invite your friends. Thanks to Dev Paul for conceiving of and curating this Challenge over the years.

This first post is to explain the purpose, and the rules.

This goals of this Challenge are to establish a solid run base; to embed a habit of using the run to establish your fitness foundation; and - for some of us - to break out of the my-legs-are-shot paradigm, by which we've convinced ourselves that we can only run once per week. This Challenge honors frequency. Not distance. Not speed. Not effort. It honors regularity. Routine. To prevail in this Challenge you don't see how much you can do; rather how little. Not how hard you can run, but how easy. You might think running that easy detrains you. Try this Challenge. Let's revisit this once you're 60 days into it.

What Counts?

1. Any run that's at least 30 minutes long (see below for exceptions).
2. The runs can be outdoors or on a treadmill.
3. Walking does not count.
4. Aquajogging and elliptical training do not count.
5. You can (and probably should) take days off.
6. You can do days with more than 1 run session; each sessions counts.
7. You get no credit for going longer than 30min; a 30min run is identical to a 60min run for this Challenge.
8. Extra effort gains you nothing.
9. You can go as slow as you want provided both feet leave the ground on every stride.
10. Runs must separated by at least 1 hour to count as multiple sessions.

Runs shorter than 30 minutes

11. If you do 2 runs shorter than 30 minutes in one day you can count the total as 1 run.
12. Twice per week you can run a session that is shorter than 30min if on the very next day you run a session that makes up the difference, i.e., a 23min run doesn't count, but, if you run a 37min run the following day, then you've officially run 2 sessions.
13. That same paradigm does NOT count for a double run on a given day.
14. These "make up" runs can't be the rule; they're the exceptions; you get to do this twice in a week, and not more.

Joining the Challenge; Entering Runs on the Slowtwitch Training Log

15. Go to training.slowtwitch.com. You can always navigate there via the blue navbar above (below the ad banner at the top), hover over "Training" (third heading from right) and click on Training Log.
16. Sign up for a Training Log account if you don't already have one (your Reader Forum account is also your Training Log account, i.e., there's one unified login for both).
17. Then look for 100/100 for 2018/19. It's hard to miss.
18. Click "enroll". (It says "leave" in the screenshot because I'm already enrolled.)

19. Now start entering your runs in the log. Make sure you only enter runs that combine as 30 minutes as one session. If you have a 20min + 15min day, enter it as one workout of 35 minute or it will not get rolled into the results sheet.
20. Please ensure that you log a distance along with the time. If you don't know the distance, please try to estimate.
21. Your runs will automatically get entered into the Challenge results sheet.

Strava Sync

22. You'll see a button on our Training Log allowing you to sync with Strava (in fact, you can see it in the screenshot above). Click that button if you enter your results some other way, in another training log or program. The only requirement for this to work is that your other training log must also sync with Strava. Basically, if your session is on Strava, our log will find it, download it, and your sessions will automatically append to the Challenge. "EricTheBiking" (on the Forum) is our Training Logmeister. He'll answer questions you have about this on this thread.

Viewing Challenge Standings

23. From the Challenges home page, click on the link to go to the 100/100 for 2018/19, you'll see where you and everyone stands.
24. Click on any of the column headers, and it will sort the sheet based on that category (frequency, time, distance, aerobic points). Just, frequency is how we judge this.
25. Please note that you must be logged in to actually enter your data. You can't enter data without logging into your account (seems obvious...).

Accumulated Wisdom: This is year-12 of this Challenge. Much has been learned, good and bad.

26. This is an exercise in who can whisper the loudest.
27. Don't try to bank run sessions early. Just trust the process. You'll probably be more successful "banking" runs, as in, performing double runs, later in the Challenge rather than earlier.
28. Take days off when you need to. As your fitness increases, you may find later in the Challenge you can run doubles. Most who hit their 100/100 do take rest days.

Levels

While some might go for 100 runs, the reality is that unless you are already running 4-6 hours per week, this might be unrealistic. For most a realistic goal is to start at Bronze club pace (or less) and then see how things go.

Platinum Club = 100 runs in 100 days (March 24th)
Gold Club = 90 runs in 100 runs in days
Silver Club = 80 runs in 100 runs in days
Bronze = 70 runs in 100 runs in days

Please put any questions on this thread. Better to put them here than send PMs or emails.

Please post stories about your workouts, pictures from running days and chime in to motivate each other on this thread. Don't just log workouts and disappear. The community is what it's all about.

Zwift Running

And, finally, I'm getting a treadmill (supposedly) today. The plan is to start putting some weekly Zwift run sessions on our Slowtwitch Event Calendar. To those who just got your footpods, or who will get them (working on that!), if you're a treadmill runner (the 2 things you need for Zwift running is a treadmill and a footpod), you've got the necessary equipment for Zwift Running. I'll be asking you for help on when to hold these sessions (time of day, day of week), and the length, format, and so forth. I'll probably begin a separate thread asking for your feedback.

there is something wrong with the above post. for some reason there is all kinds of capitalization of words. this is contrary to the slowman trademark. in any case slowman, after my "prep" period for the challenge where I ran around 7 times in 11 days at 15-20 min per day, I "achieved" the goal I had for the challenge which was to do one 30 min run by the 100th day, except in a way it happened on day 1.

Here was my workout

• 15 min jogging 2-10% grade 7-9kph on treadmill
  • 15 min rowing machine at steady 180-200Watts
  • 30 min computrainer at 200-300 Watts "fartlek"
  • 15 min rowing, 1000m interval at 220-250W plus several hard surges building from 200W topping out at 275W (second part of row was "fartlek style")
  • 17 min jogging zero to 10% grade 7-9 kph shuffling

total 90 min with 30+ min jogging. I had to take several stretching breaks and walk breaks not included in my 32 min of legal running. My end goal for the challenge is to run (vs jog) continuously for 30+ minutes, and ideall outdoors.

But day 1 is done.

Gotta hit the pool now for a 5000m swim!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
If only there was a helpful set of instructions hidden away somewhere on this forum...

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

I have the 'Y' chromosome. Can't remember the last time I read the instructions...

Thanks, Tom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonehead start for me; did my first run without a sole insert in my left shoe. Yup, saw it on the garage floor but inexplicably, didn’t put it in before I left to drive to the start. Did 90% of my run before I felt it. No worse for the wear but not the start I would prefer.

Cool thing is I ran my favorite; the historical Haverstraw Trail where Benedict Arnold and John Andre plotted to overtake West Point. Wouldn’t have done it if not for 100/100!
And where off...
Good luck all!
Quote Reply

Prev Next