Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just seems to be an unwritten rule. could most of those be stories? or could they be combined into one post where you swipe for more pictures? If they are completely different topics, and all pretty major then should be fine. But if just silly day to day stuff, that's what stories are for generally.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IG doesn't penalize you relative to frequency of posting in the regular feed as Facebook does. That being said, it's better to diversify across feed and stories. Stories are for your existing followers. Feed is how you get new followers.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
Wtf is the point of a Ig story? I'm lost on the purpose... Other than the obvious feature stealing from snapchat.

it's just a copy for sure. less formal way of posting. generally acceptable to post several per day, whereas you better damn well sure not post more than once per day on the regular feed lol. i don't snapchat so I like the feature on IG.

I don't care about rules---someone doesn't like how I IG...they are welcome to unfollow (pink-ish). And I don't have a use case for ephemeral posts---why would I want it to disappear? If I'm going to bother posting something to FB or IG...I want it to stay around, not vanish after 24 hrs. I don't snap either...for the same reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I don't care about rules---someone doesn't like how I IG...they are welcome to unfollow

Sounds like something Ashley Horner has said

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should try it, it’s fun. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
IG doesn't penalize you relative to frequency of posting in the regular feed as Facebook does. That being said, it's better to diversify across feed and stories. Stories are for your existing followers. Feed is how you get new followers.

Somehow we survived before “storiesâ€. I’m happy to just stay there. And I’ll be damned if I worry about something being “for followers†or “to get new followersâ€. I just don’t social media that hard.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
I don't care about rules---someone doesn't like how I IG...they are welcome to unfollow

Sounds like something Ashley Horner has said

sometimes its not what you say....but, why you say it.

I feel reasonably certain that AH is very careful about following the Social Media rules for maximizing her followers and generating "content" in the "right way". Fuck that shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ultra_slow wrote:
Thursdays.

Not long ago, I was talking to someone at work about Thursdays

Circling back around to the REAL topic at hand

"This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

when I see guys like these, and I remind myself to NEVER whine about going outdoors for a run when it's even a little cold & breezy [like today]

So I semi-bundled myself up, said "Let's do this" and got myself out the door at lunchtime

The problem with being a skinny little shit like me, on a day as windy as this, it that sometimes a massive gust will blow by, at the exact second in your stride when both feet are off the ground, and you don't always put that foot down where you expected it would go

I was fortunate NOT to collide with a planet, but there was definitely some stumbling around

ETA: Currently at 20 runs on 27 days @Slowtwitch #ST100in100 #ST100Runs100Days

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today my goal was to run as easy as possible. On a typical run I "try" to average a HR of about 151 (middle z2). I usually average a few ticks higher (eg 155) because I get caught up in the "pace of the day", though. Today I set 151 as my CAP, and really wanted to go super, super easy. I managed to average 145, and only broke 150 once for a few seconds on an incline towards the end of the run. I'm pretty happy with that---and, it was still 5s per mile faster than 7 days ago at 155 bpm.

I missed 4 days around Christmas, but I've made up for 3 of those. So, I've run 23 out of 27 days, and with the doubles this week and last, I'm back to 26 runs over the 27 days of the challenge. I broke the 100mile mark yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All caught up!
27/27 for: #ST100in100

Plan to do my first 'multiple' run since S/R training last year for Casco Bay (*where I did lots of S/R/S/R/S/R...days) tomorrow.
And if the body complies, another day like that on the weekend. I've gotta bank me some runs because I'll have to add S training soon and the B/R volume is pretty high right now. Fatigue is reasonable though.

That Norseman bike race on Zwift this Saturday will likely dent my fitness a bit though...but not as bad as last weekend's combination of Saturday's Norseman (*Fire and Ice) and then Sunday's Kiss Americas 100K bike race. Running is a much more significant stressor than cycling though.

Volume, volume and more volume baby! That's what 'base' season is to me for running. The 'off' season (winter) is 'raise the FTP' though. Tricky to combine them both...

Hope everyone is enjoying this years ST100in100 and posting some pics!!!

these are some ugly legs with hair finally growing back...

Last edited by: dtoce: Jan 11, 19 4:21
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
All caught up!
27/27 for ST100in100

Plan to do my first 'multiple' run since S/R training last year for Casco Bay (*where I did lots of S/R/S/R/S/R...days) tomorrow.
And if the body complies, another day like that on the weekend. I've gotta bank me some runs because I'll have to add S training soon and the B/R volume is pretty high right now. Fatigue is reasonable right now.

Volume, volume and more volume baby! That's what 'base' season is to me for running. The 'off' season (winter) is 'raise the FTP' though. Tricky to combine them both...

Hope everyone is enjoying this years ST100in100 and posting some pics!!!

some ugly legs right there

(*those pic suggestions should be updated to include the 'snipping tool')

Over in the Fish thread, Mr. Dev Paul challenged me to S/R the entire 100/100 challenge. So, I'm 20/27 on swims (29kscy) and 26/27 on runs....and all-up for January. Headed to the pool here in a few minutes for 30x100.

ETA2: Just don't tell him we polluted the 100/100 thread with swim talk.

I let my bike FTP slip by about 10% since my last race. But, started picking that back up on the 28th. Its already responding to stimulus. That's the easiest one for me. And the run-volume seems to cross-over pretty well.

Surely, you aren't talking about MY legs there, Doctor! I haven't seen your legs show up on IG, yet.

ETA: Ah...now, your legs show up in the post. :-) They weren't there initially. Nice socks.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 10, 19 15:02
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's time that I give my thanks to the 100/100 challenge for finally forcing me to some introspection of my running philosophy over my short endurance history.

I have worked up (responsibly) to 70km/week in running. Just downloaded my running history back to my beginnings in triathlon from Garmin and never before October of 2018 have I ever ran more than 55km in a week and never more than 120km in a month! Now I feel like I haven't even smelled my true potential in running and am so very much excited for this year's races. And though I did build up to my last race (IW 70.3), I did only start running more because I had the 100/100 challenge in mind back then after having bailed last year due to laziness, and I wanted to increase my weekly totals through it.

Gonna keep this streak up and keep running lots of slow miles to keep it healthy, I hope to be reporting on some new PRs this year! Thank you to ST and the creators of this challenge!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lunchtime session. Decided to get my feet wet and hit the grass it was great!

<https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Jan 10, 19 18:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Finally able to post (hopefully) off of desktop....I wanted to run the steps but commercial blocked me....I also saw a unicorn on this run but could not turn camera on quick enough.....
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hamsters day out.

I started run-commuting to work 16-mile round trip about a month before the challenge started but I haven't lately due to the short distance high volume I've been doing. One of my goals this year is to run-commute to work more often so today I am back at it hoping to keep this up on Mondays and Fridays.

Harvey Taylor Bridge facing the Pennsylvania State Capitol this morning.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hamsters day out?
On these cold mornings I thought he'd be quite comfy in your prison wallet.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Hamsters day out?
On these cold mornings I thought he'd be quite comfy in your prison wallet.

Bluestacks (aka HO) is a TM hamster more often than not, silly...Good on you to keep the focus on the big picture of 'total miles' and not forgetting the longer runs which you'll need come race day. I did the 'run-commute' to work several times in my marathon training days (*15 miles to work, 15 home...). Those runs were very hard for me to recover from. BTW, I loved the 'vlog' video!

Tom_hampton wrote:

Over in the Fish thread, Mr. Dev Paul challenged me to S/R the entire 100/100 challenge. So, I'm 20/27 on swims (29kscy) and 26/27 on runs....and all-up for January. Headed to the pool here in a few minutes for 30x100.

ETA2: Just don't tell him we polluted the 100/100 thread with swim talk.

I let my bike FTP slip by about 10% since my last race. But, started picking that back up on the 28th. Its already responding to stimulus. That's the easiest one for me. And the run-volume seems to cross-over pretty well.

Surely, you aren't talking about MY legs there, Doctor! I haven't seen your legs show up on IG, yet.

ETA: Ah...now, your legs show up in the post. :-) They weren't there initially. Nice socks.

Good job with the S/R...Tom and Dev! Hope you recover quickly Dev.

Alabama Viking wrote:
SUPERIOR VO2 Max!
At least that's what Garmin Connect says. It put me at 53 today, which apparently is superior for my age.
Quite a way to get back from smoking a pack a day for 25 years. Quit less than 4 years ago :)

Congratulations! Superior is, well, superior!!

R1 and B1 done! Time for breakfast.
Last edited by: dtoce: Jan 11, 19 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me a while to get some momentum on this, but after the slow start, things are coming together. The Strava connection on the training log is pretty slick. That got me to tie my GPS watch to Strava (which I hadn't done before), and everything connected. Super cool.

If not for this challenge, I would have stayed in bed this morning instead of heading out for a run at 5AM in below zero (Farenheit) wind chill. I'll have to bring my phone along one of these times so I can get some pics to post. There wouldn't have been much to see this morning except for blowing snow. The sheet metal screws installed into my running shoes we quite helpful with traction.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 1: 3.6 mi easy
Day 2: 11 mi easy
Day 3: 4 mi moderate
Day 4: 6.2 mi easy
Day 5: 5 mi easy
Day 6: 4.3 mi run (1.5 mi @ 8:34 pace, 1.3 mi @ 8:27 pace)
Day 7: 12 mi run (8.3 @ 8:27 pace)
Day 8: 3.6 mi
Day 9: 11.2 mi
Day 10: 6.45 mi (w/ 1 mi @ 8:00 + 2.1 mi @ 7:53)
Day 11: 7.3 mi
Day 12: 3.6 mi
Day 13: 3.7 mi
Day 14: 4.3 mi progressive
Day 15: 3.6 mi
Day 16: 9.8 mi
Day 17: 12.1 mi
Day 18: 3.1 mi
Day 19: 7.3 mi
Day 20: 5.8 mi
Day 21: 5.5 mi
Day 22: 13.7 mi (w/ 1 x 4ish miles and 1 x 2.3 mi at marathon-ish pace)
Day 23: OFF
Day 24: 9 mi (w/ 8 x 45 sec fast, 75 sec recovery)
Day 25: 4.8 mi
Day 26: 9 mi
Day 27: 4 mi
Day 28: 6.6 mi

so I am 27/28 in singles.

Today's run: woke up feeling like I was hungover, despite not having had any alcohol last night. Thought run and the 1275 yd swim after would make me feel better. It did not.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great video, Dude!! And I was going to use the treadmill. Instead I bundled up and went out for an hour. Nineteen with winds gusting into the thirties.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Today's run: woke up feeling like I was hungover, despite not having had any alcohol last night. Thought run and the 1275 yd swim after would make me feel better. It did not.

I'm with you there. I woke up definitely not feeling it today. Swam this morn, ran at lunch. Don't feel any better, either. I just want to lay down and sleep.

ETA: I ate a large lunch, and then about an hour later went and had a vanilla pudding with oreos and whipped cream. I feel a bit better now. Maybe I'm not eating enough.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 11, 19 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to race you, but Palm Springs? That's such a long drive! //

Ya, thinking about that drive for me too. I just had a quick glance at the 5k running schedule, and there is also one that weekend, in LA< Long Beach, Santa Clarita, and Carlsbad. Unless I can couple the Coachella valley run with meeting up with a friend out there, I may take a look at Carlsbad, how far is that from you????? You have a lot more miles on your legs since the challenge than me, but I have more old piled up miles from 30 years ago, so should be a fair fight??? (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

I'm with you there. I woke up definitely not feeling it today. Swam this morn, ran at lunch. Don't feel any better, either. I just want to lay down and sleep.

ETA: I ate a large lunch, and then about an hour later went and had a vanilla pudding with oreos and whipped cream. I feel a bit better now. Maybe I'm not eating enough.

This week's been pretty brutal, after last night's bike the run this morning was surrounded by a cloud of fatigue.

Plan for the rest of the day is to try & eat/sleep my way out of it, normally works, fingers crossed.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4 weeks in .... 402km and 32 runs with one day off running. Today was tough since I feel a bit of a cold coming on. My swim this morning was painfully slow and my run after work had a -18C windchill so the 1:02 that I ran seemed to drag on.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I'd like to race you, but Palm Springs? That's such a long drive! //

Ya, thinking about that drive for me too. I just had a quick glance at the 5k running schedule, and there is also one that weekend, in LA< Long Beach, Santa Clarita, and Carlsbad. Unless I can couple the Coachella valley run with meeting up with a friend out there, I may take a look at Carlsbad, how far is that from you????? You have a lot more miles on your legs since the challenge than me, but I have more old piled up miles from 30 years ago, so should be a fair fight??? (-;

Carlsbad is only 20 miles from North Poway. I see the Carlsbad 5000 is April 6/7. According to my data, the fastest I've ran in the last 12 months was last April, right after the 100/100 ended. Perfect!!

Fair fight? Maybe. You have 30 years of fast racing, but you're totally run down from your old playboy lifestyle and your new gaggle of young kids. I'm just a NoPo jogger mom. I was never fast. Ever. Doesn't a race sound ugly!?! And fun!?!

Edit: what weekend r u talking about?
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Jan 11, 19 16:43
Quote Reply

Prev Next