Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
developed a cold on day 19, finally starting to feel a tiny bit better.

There's been a cold/cough "running" through the MartHouse [sorry for the pun] It really took me down Xmas week, but I've bounced back since

Hanging on to the bottom of badge-eligibility

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
replying to you, since you mentioned liking the photo aspect (couple below)

Regarding the discussion about shorter runs: I like the 30 minute format, since after doing my 1st (and definitely last) 50K this summer, I've been feeling like I have to get in about an hour+ to make a run worthwhile.

But my best pure running year was after a winter of high frequency, but dinky runs. Some were only like 16 minutes, so I've never done the 100/100 since my outings were often too short to count.

I've learned, slowly however, that my musc-skeletal system seems to prefer shorter outings (easier to maintain good form for 4 miles, vs 7+, I'd guess).

I have no goals, no events, no plan, just getting in 30-min blocks when I have a window. And after BryanD's rave about Zwift running, I actually got a footpod. Really dislike the treadmill, but our winters are not great. After 3 icy days required shoe spikes, I've liked the 'mill.

Here's a normally easy packed-sand road I'll climb, but you can maybe see the shine of ice on it:

And some more typical stuff I try to find out here in warm months:
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cute dog! Your icy road looks pretty horrible. Just thinking about all the compensation you have to do for that ice makes my low back hurt.

I took my first day off yesterday. I had a hard time staying asleep Friday night, and I had a weird taste/tickle in my throat yesterday morning. I feel better today, and ran this morning. It was so nice! I had about 48 hours rest. I'm excited thinking about doing many doubles this week when the kids are back in school. Freedom!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
I am curious to know how many people doing the challenge are keeping their runs right near the 30 minute minimum and trying to do this numerous times during the day to drive up their number of runs vs. people that are doing their "normal" run training with maybe a focus on adding in an extra run or two to work on their running and keeping the majority of their runs longer than the 30 min minimum. On Sunday, I will be doing a 2 hour long run and would never consider breaking that down into 4 x 30 minute runs with an hour between since my ocd-type AAA personality that many triathletes share might get me attempting too many runs in a day :)

Which camp are you in?

I've enjoyed seeing how others are training and how they are fitting the 100/100 into their plans so here's what I've been doing. First, thanks to Slowman for creating the challenge and Dev for being such a great contributor.

Generally, I've added the daily 30 min runs into my training plan and continued with the training plan the other days. I have shortened some of the mid-distance runs so that my total volume does not ramp up too quickly.

26 runs to date. Have only missed two days - one a rest day before a long run and the other the day of a minor medical procedure when they said no exercise (and my wife was the enforcer). All but one have been road runs - only one treadmill run as that is the absolute last resort for me.

Longest run so far was today (17.2 miles) and this was my highest mileage week at 43.5. Interesting, there is an interpretation that a three hour run could count as more than one run with the hour in between the 30 min segments counting as the hour "off" - I have only been counting as one.

I've found that my body really does well with the short runs which don't beat it down as much as the longer runs. This has been great for rebuilding my base.

I enjoyed seeing some of the other runners on this forum comment that they are a 43 year old trapped in a 25 year old's body or a 50 year old trapped in a 40 year old's body. I am a 66 year old trapped in a 50 year old's body (or is it the other way around :-) or somewhere in between?).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
developed a cold on day 19, finally starting to feel a tiny bit better.
There's been a cold/cough "running" through the MartHouse [sorry for the pun] It really took me down Xmas week, but I've bounced back since

Hanging on to the bottom of badge-eligibility

Finally caught the crud...ugh! Been surrounded by sick people for weeks and doing fine until 1 night when I slept poorly. Then I was stupid enough to go on a 3 hour group ride in 35 degree temps this morning and now I am officially down and out. Oh well...live and learn.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran a 50k race yesterday as a long training run - two goals going in:

1) Finish
2) Be able to run the day after

Accomplished both.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorta did a OD sim yesterday.

1500 swim (30x25 + wu/Cd)
25m bike 2x20
4.7m run

Not at race effort... But a big day, nonetheless.

Today was just the bare minimum, 3.6m / 32min. Also 15m of stretch chords.

I'm still down by 3 (20/23). But, I'll double up on Tuesday and maybe again on Thursday.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 6, 19 20:28
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
I am curious to know how many people doing the challenge are keeping their runs right near the 30 minute minimum and trying to do this numerous times during the day to drive up their number of runs vs. people that are doing their "normal" run training with maybe a focus on adding in an extra run or two to work on their running and keeping the majority of their runs longer than the 30 min minimum. On Sunday, I will be doing a 2 hour long run and would never consider breaking that down into 4 x 30 minute runs with an hour between since my ocd-type AAA personality that many triathletes share might get me attempting too many runs in a day :)

Which camp are you in?

I posted up earlier that I've had a wonky knee and my retired triathlete routine was about 12-14 miles on average per week for probably the previous 4 years before December 15, 2018.

I am taking the minimum to just above approach. 1 run per day of 30-40 minutes, mostly closer to 30 minutes. For me that doubles my weekly mileage and takes me to 25ish. With a few nerve glide stretches my knee is getting better. I run during lunch at work about 3-4 days a week, and during the morning the other days. I lift 2x a week, swim 2x a week, and ride about 1x every 3 weeks.

I had recently bought a pair of ON Running Cloudsurfer (I think) that did not seem to agree with my left ankle for some reason. I'd tried them when I wasn't a retired triathlete, and they didn't seem to work for one of my lower legs, left or right I can't remember. I think that the 'clouds' on this particular model cause some shearing force that isn't good for my gait. So, yesterday I put on the nearly worn out saucony's and did a super easy 9 minute mile, low heart rate 3.8 miles. 3.8 because the loop I was running was 0.95 miles and I did 4 of them.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Last edited by: -JBMarshTX: Jan 7, 19 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was pretty much my experience with ON as well - wound up ditching them after three runs. Interesting concept that I just couldn't get to work for me.

To the general group -- what happened?!?! I've only got two people consistently posting photos up over on Instagram. Not giving me much to work with over here! Become somewhat social media infamous and get re-grammed by the Slowtwitch Social Media Team (aka me).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge accepted. Don't usually carry the phone with me while running but will for short recovery run today.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a pair of the cloudace that seemed ok, maybe since the 'clouds' are more numerous and more robust, but the inside of the right heel counter blew out or ripped after only few weeks or low mileage running. Then I had a pretty bad blister.

These cloudsurfer were the warranty/replacement for them. I may try to rotate them in 2x a week, but every other run isn't going to agree with me.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been battling some really bad piriformis / sciatica over the last few weeks that have kept me off the roads. Pretty much the only time I get out I've been wearing my Saucony Freedoms, and even those aren't quite agreeing with me. Wondering if a return to the Kinvara is in order.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

To the general group -- what happened?!?! I've only got two people consistently posting photos up over on Instagram. Not giving me much to work with over here! Become somewhat social media infamous and get re-grammed by the Slowtwitch Social Media Team (aka me).

Well....I run from two places (home and work). Both locations afford me the choice of left or right, then its out and back 2 miles in either case. So, that's basically 4 different 4mile runs. I don't really have any other options until I extend out to 8+ miles where I can meander on different loops. There's only so many photos to take---all my running shirts are the same, so I even have the same clothes on every time. At this point I could just recycle, and no one would know the difference. :-)

I was going to do some trail running and get some new and different scenery, but it won't stop raining for more than 3 days at a time...so, all the trails are closed indefinitely. Its really been quite ridiculous how much rain we have gotten in the last 6 months. The lake I live on is has been at flood stage for months. it was getting close to being back to normal until xmas week. Now its back up over 5 feet above normal, again.

The good news is that this is the dry season. it doesn't get really rainy until March/April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

What sort of content would you like? One of the problems is I'm not going to post a selfie before running (no selfies ever, basically), and my current running routes are very uninspiring suburbia. I could shoot some well-worn shoes or Garmin Connect data screenshots of runs, but it's not easy to take a camera (or even phone) while running, stop for a shot, and finish. That's easier when riding.

I have some shots of my old running routes down south, but I haven't run there in pushing on three years.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where you run, the shoes, a video of you running, scenes you stumble upon while running.

And yes, I'm looking for shiny-tell-me-I'm-pretty photo selfies from time to time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#tellmeimpretty !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Where you run, the shoes, a video of you running, scenes you stumble upon while running.

And yes, I'm looking for shiny-tell-me-I'm-pretty photo selfies from time to time.

You just got my favorite shoes. And you’ll never get a selfie from me! 😜

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:

You just got my favorite shoes. And you’ll never get a selfie from me! 😜

Awwww...come on! I've posted several of my scruffy mug, including one today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Freedom but for some reason my second pair of them is just not as comfortable. Probably me trying to dust the cobwebs off post IMFL haze.

But I do love the new/old Kinvara...

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run #1 today in Philly came across some sort of Red Bull commercial where a guy is snowboarding down the Rocky Steps at Art Museum
Last edited by: mclandon: Jan 7, 19 12:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I love the Freedom but for some reason my second pair of them is just not as comfortable. Probably me trying to dust the cobwebs off post IMFL haze.

But I do love the new/old Kinvara...

I’m on my second pair, but they were bought about the same time. My only complaint is that the toe box could be a little wider, as when laced the distance between the sides increases as it goes up the tongue. Which, stupidly, makes me feel like I have fat feet.

On the good side, they’re soft without being squishy, and they make it easy to run with good form (according to Garmin, and backed up by how I feel). I rotate in a couple of other pairs, but the FISOs are the only shoes I wear for longer or higher-intensity sessions.

The outsoles (of that colorway) are pretty cool too,

Though apparently posting them will have to wait. IPads are teh dumbs.

Last edited by: Toby: Jan 7, 19 12:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I'm in and playing the game as a single sporter. Some may recognize me from tri days but those have long passed because swimming, well, just damn sucks. I've just been running for the past few years and am enjoying every single day.

I ran CIM in December, took a few weeks off, and am currently training for Boston. The timing of the challenge worked out well for the ramp up. Before CIM I built up to 75-80 MPW (all singles) and am expecting to be 85-90 in Feb and March still in singles. Might add a couple doubles a week to hit the magical 100 but it is very schedule dependent. I tend to take off a day every month or so based on vacations, sickness, or just life in general so should be very close to the 100 run mark.

Normal schedule is a speed workout on Wednesday and long run with speed on Sunday (or tempo Saturday and easy long run on Sunday). Yesterday was 17 with 2x4 mile tempos. First was 5:20 pace and the second was a rougher 5:30ish. The rest of the week is just easy filler- anywhere between 1.5-2 minutes slower than Half marathon pace. Make the hard days hard and the easy days easy!

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mclandon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why you must run with a phone/camera.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
...to hit the magical 100...

This is my [not so] secret goal. I want to run 100 miles/week for at least two weeks in a row (I know - what an arbitrary goal. But isn't all of endurance sport built around arbitrary?) Hard to do at my pace, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, you can't say I didn't try lol! tagged slowtwitch and the # in my story. Didn't get anything good enough for a regular post. But I'll have to start bringing my gopro with me more often (didn't have it with me for lunch run today).
Quote Reply

Prev Next