Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:

Which does Austin get? It's theoretically "warm", but I raised a bunch of eyebrows over in the AH thread for saying I run in <40* and raining shirtless with gloves. Getting a snowflake would be fun. There'll be hot days before March whateverth arrives, though.

You get a tattoo and a nose ring. Keep Austin Weird.

I gave it a try at lunch, today...but, I kept the shirt on. Miserable. Actually it wasn't that big of a deal, my biggest issue was that the nerve that runs down mu bicep to my hand shortened up in the cold and when I stretch out my arms it twinged. Otherwise, just a bit slow.

My fingers still haven't warmed back up..typing speed is way off. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was careless with my words! I should have said a "flake of snow." Or, perhaps the cold weather runners would prefer a "cup of cake" or "puff of cream"? All three evoke snow.

It takes waaaaaaaa-aaaaaa-aaaay more toughness to get out when its frosty. Last year in SoCal, my worst weather was three days of 55* rain. Running in seriously cold rain or anything under 10* seems worthy of cupcake, cream puff or snowflake status.

I'm curious to know who is out running in the colder weather. And I'm curious about the chickens with extreme mental fortitude on the treadmills. (I suppose the chickens are going to complain about their name now.)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was feeling a bit beaten up yesturday so I took it easy and had a great day today.

Nailed my first ever triple-run workout day. Puts me at thirty runs in twenty days. 3 progressive runs with a tough bike workout in the mix.

#feelingstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in year 6 of #runningeverydamnday and added this to the challenge. We will see how it turns out.

Hope everyone is having fun so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did an interesting double today for runs 22 and 23. This morning at 6am we had 5cm of fresh snow and the roads were covered so footing was brutal. I did get an opportunity to try out my new headlamp though and it worked great ... even had cars slowing right down to go by me instead of the normal flying by and nearly forcing me into the ditch! This morning my run took 55 minutes. I ran the same loop this afternoon after the temperature had climbed to the freezing mark and the snow had been cleared and it took 49 minutes. Can't remember ever having that much variance in pace but I did put in a little over an hour on the trainer beforehand so I was warmed up instead of just rolling out of bed.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not offended, and wasn't complaining. :-) Toby's in Austin...he's supposed to be weird. But, I think I prefer snowflake to cupcake or creampuff. Too many memories of soccer practice are conjured up by those other two---anyone called a cupcake by coach was sure to be run 'til puking to cure them of that status. Snowflake only reminds me of water-boy---annoying, but not painful.

I lived in Colorado for a long time...so, even though I live in Texas now and consider sub-40 which-@#% cold, I recognize that there are other places where its a whole @#$@$%-ton colder. I used to love running in the snow...especially when it was actively snowing. But, it needs to be the light and fluffy variety...not the wet slush we get here---that stuff just sucks the life out of you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did my first double for this year to make up for one of my missed runs over Xmas. 3 more to go to get back to even.

Cold and raining at lunch, and a treadmill run before dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ultra_slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently sitting at 22 runs in 21 days, but ...

And now it starts getting hard ...
Back to work this week, did my first double running to and from work yesterday. 17k in the morning was ok. The run home in 34C with UV at 14 was a step too far at my fitness level - I bailed at 9.5k and got a lift home.
Something about 51 year olds still thinking they are twenty somethings ...

Normally after a bad session I will take a recovery day or two.
Despite my resting HR being up by 5 beats over the past week, I decided for the challenge to do my minimum run - 6k.
It was hard, slow, horrible 2.5 mins slower than normal and had no rhythm.

My challenge for the next couple of days is seeing whether "active recovery" of short runs actually allows me to recover (== falling resting HR, and returning to minimum runs that feel easy and have good rhythm).

A good opportunity for learning?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it only took 20 days for my first screw-up. Last night a was on my second treadmill run of the evening and I accidentally ran for 0:32:25 instead of my normal 0:30:04. <pink>Could I have been enjoying it so much that I lost track of time?</pink>

Most of these runs I am scared to look at my watch in fear that it shows 18 minutes instead of what I feel is 24 minutes. Usually around 27 minutes I start watching the clock and really look forward to the 30.

Yesterday was 5 day in a row of Zwift for me after 3 months off the bike. I did stage 1 of the Tour de Zwift and I looking forward to completing the tour. If there is time I might try to do a double tour and log each stage twice.

Zwift is a bit easier logistically for me than treadmill because I can have all three kids in the bedroom with me while I am on the bike and my wife is working. The treadmill is in the garage and I can't be in there while taking care of the kids. The 30-minute challenge does fit well with me because I can usually sneak in a run before work, one in the evening after my wife is done working, and sometimes one in the early evening if she has a student cancel and a block of time opens up.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#teamsnowflake

Got my first 25 runs in the first 20 days of the challenge - even decided to do a 5k run/walk thing last Friday with a local running group when Friday is generally an inviolable rest day. The 13 day streak ends now, though, as I have a 6-hour race tomorrow on an indoor track...when we're supposed to have our nicest day (7c, some sun) in weeks.

With a grouchy hamstring, a tender achilles, and a still-kinda-messed-up ankle (from a snowboarding crash last February), I sincerely doubt I'll be going out for a 2nd run after the 6-hour, and may need a day or two afterward to get back on my feet. I did consider using the 6-hour as an opportunity to get 4 qualifying runs in - particularly since I haven't run more than 10k since my last ultra on Nov 10th, though I did run 108km total in the 13 day streak - but I can't quite bring myself to abuse the spirit of the event like that.

Hopefully I'll be back to chasing the sun down snowy trails again soon..

Quote | Reply
Day 1: 3.6 mi easy
Day 2: 11 mi easy
Day 3: 4 mi moderate
Day 4: 6.2 mi easy
Day 5: 5 mi easy
Day 6: 4.3 mi run (1.5 mi @ 8:34 pace, 1.3 mi @ 8:27 pace)
Day 7: 12 mi run (8.3 @ 8:27 pace)
Day 8: 3.6 mi
Day 9: 11.2 mi
Day 10: 6.45 mi (w/ 1 mi @ 8:00 + 2.1 mi @ 7:53)
Day 11: 7.3 mi
Day 12: 3.6 mi
Day 13: 3.7 mi
Day 14: 4.3 mi progressive
Day 15: 3.6 mi
Day 16: 9.8 mi
Day 17: 12.1 mi
Day 18: 3.1 mi
Day 19: 7.3 mi
Day 20: 5.8 mi
Day 21: 5.5 mi

developed a cold on day 19, finally starting to feel a tiny bit better.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick update on the first 20 days:

No days off
Shortest run = 4.13 miles
Longest run = 7.59
15 road runs
4 treadmill runs
1 trail run
Total elevation gain = 5,215 ft (According to my Garmin - all treadmill miles have been run flat)
Average pace = 8:21/mile
Total distance = 114 miles
No doubles yet

Overall, I am definitely not in the same league as the people near the top of the leaderboard with this challenge!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am curious to know how many people doing the challenge are keeping their runs right near the 30 minute minimum and trying to do this numerous times during the day to drive up their number of runs vs. people that are doing their "normal" run training with maybe a focus on adding in an extra run or two to work on their running and keeping the majority of their runs longer than the 30 min minimum. On Sunday, I will be doing a 2 hour long run and would never consider breaking that down into 4 x 30 minute runs with an hour between since my ocd-type AAA personality that many triathletes share might get me attempting too many runs in a day :)

Which camp are you in?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
I am curious to know how many people doing the challenge are keeping their runs right near the 30 minute minimum and trying to do this numerous times during the day to drive up their number of runs vs. people that are doing their "normal" run training with maybe a focus on adding in an extra run or two to work on their running and keeping the majority of their runs longer than the 30 min minimum. On Sunday, I will be doing a 2 hour long run and would never consider breaking that down into 4 x 30 minute runs with an hour between since my ocd-type AAA personality that many triathletes share might get me attempting too many runs in a day :)

Which camp are you in?

you can tell that pretty well by looking at the challenge table. if you sort by distance, or time, and you divide a little, you can see who's who. i'm squarely in the 30-min range, that is, nowadays, between 31 and 33min, not because of the challenge, but because that's what i can handle. i hope at the end of the challenge i'm more like in the 40min to 45min average range, because that's where i want my runs to be (with the occasional 60min). but i can't handle that now, and my PRIORITY is to run daily and, again, not because of the challenge, but more because i feel that i'll be better off, as an athlete, if i'm in the habit of more/less daily runs. the challenge has gotten me off my petootie to see if i can get there.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:

Which camp are you in?

Before the challenge started I was running 4-5x 4miles each (~32min). With an extra (either #5 or #6) longer 45+ run. I was averaging 24 mpw for the 4 weeks prior to the start. I've basically kept that rolling with two changes:

1. I run every day (so, I added 1-2x 4milers). But, I missed 4 over xmas.
2. Starting yesterday, I divided my long run from 45-55 min to 2x 30m (with that 1 hour minimum holding period).

#2 is driven by the challenge rules. I'd just do a long run if not for the challenge. But, I also think I like 2x30 = 45 that gets me an extra 2 miles of running. I'd be much more cautious about extending to a 60min run than I was about a 30m lunch and a second 30m dinner run. I had ZERO recovery effects this morning.

I've been a follower if the BarryP 3/2/1 plan for the last two years. I'll be transitioning back into that over the next 6 weeks, but I'll probably add as much of that volume as "doubles" as is warranted. So, maybe by valentines I'm doing 3 doubles per week.

All that is to say....I'm a bit of a mix between ignoring the rules and just following my plan, and exploiting them for maximum run-count. I'm not trying to get to 110 or 120 or anything. I'd be perfectly happy with 100/100 at the end.

My early spring race is a sprint, so why the hell not?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [KP-NJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's where I'm at right now, on day 21 of 100.
I've deviated from my coaches normal running workouts for 3 weeks now, with his blessing.
I'm about to go outside for run #3 of the day, that will be #28 of the challenge so far.
I've will have run 60 miles in the last 7 days. That is a new high for me.
I'm not really "beat up" right now. Actually I feel pretty good.
I tried a Zwift bike race last night, not good at all.
I have slowed down about 30"/mile for a lot of these miles from normal.
I can't see myself maintaining this pace of mileage for 79 more days.
I am confident I'll hit the 100/100 goal.
These leaders are NUTS! How many are s+b along with running?
I've enjoyed chasing this shinny object, but it's time for me to throttle back to 1 run per day.
I'm looking forward to spending more time on my bike.
It feels weird to think of a 40 mile run week to be "light".
Hoping this will provide a nice big base for this year!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll counter your snowy trails (of which I'm honestly envious, by the way) with some sunny vistas. These are from the turnaround point of my run this morning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't run enough last year, so this challenge is again motivation to get me going. I am currently running 30-35 minutes per run at a relatively easy pace. For now, I have cut out long runs but now that we are almost 3 weeks in I plan to start gradually building up my mileage including longer runs on the weekend. I'm also going to start incorporating swimming and biking into my routine. I really needed to hit the reset button as last year I was just not motivated and performance in running events and triathlons suffered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Which camp are you in?

I'm doing my normal running. I rarely run less than 30 minutes.
You get credit for 2 runs for the 2 hr run!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you get credit for 2 runs with a 2 hour run? I copied the rules below

1. Any run that's at least 30 minutes long (see below for exceptions).
2. The runs can be outdoors or on a treadmill.
3. Walking does not count.
4. Aquajogging and elliptical training do not count.
5. You can (and probably should) take days off.
6. You can do days with more than 1 run session; each sessions counts.
7. You get no credit for going longer than 30min; a 30min run is identical to a 60min run for this Challenge.
8. Extra effort gains you nothing.
9. You can go as slow as you want provided both feet leave the ground on every stride.
10. Runs must separated by at least 1 hour to count as multiple sessions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
I am curious to know how many people doing the challenge are keeping their runs right near the 30 minute minimum and trying to do this numerous times during the day to drive up their number of runs vs. people that are doing their "normal" run training with maybe a focus on adding in an extra run or two to work on their running and keeping the majority of their runs longer than the 30 min minimum.
Which camp are you in?

I'm training for Boston in April, so I'm following my normal training. Was only planning to run 6 days week, but have added in a 7th run that is the minimum 30 minutes. Also still trying to bike 2 or 3 times a week as well. It's been going well and have only missed the first day because it was 35 degrees and raining and I thought this thing started on Monday!.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [thetriranger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you can count the first 30 minutes. Ignore the next 60 minutes. Count the last 30. VoilĂ !
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [thetriranger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetriranger wrote:
How do you get credit for 2 runs with a 2 hour run? I copied the rules below

1. Any run that's at least 30 minutes long (see below for exceptions).
2. The runs can be outdoors or on a treadmill.
3. Walking does not count.
4. Aquajogging and elliptical training do not count.
5. You can (and probably should) take days off.
6. You can do days with more than 1 run session; each sessions counts.
7. You get no credit for going longer than 30min; a 30min run is identical to a 60min run for this Challenge.
8. Extra effort gains you nothing.
9. You can go as slow as you want provided both feet leave the ground on every stride.
10. Runs must separated by at least 1 hour to count as multiple sessions.

Rule #10 doesn't say what you can (or can't) do during that middle "hour". You just happen to keep running. Run for 5 hrs get credit for 4 runs!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to the folks posting pictures. I enjoy seeing where you're running. Mistressk posted a winter/wooded trail pic in last year's thread, and I recall really liking that image. I think it must have been shortly before her debilitating injury.

Keep up the great running, everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe log it as 3 activities workouts on your watch? 30 min run followed by a 60 minute run followed by a 30 minute run? Not sure if that's in the spirit of the competition or not.
Last edited by: mgreer: Jan 4, 19 13:46
Quote Reply

Prev Next