Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HVP wrote:
Nice. I went to the high school on that road.

I ran at your old track this afternoon.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wintry pictures are beautiful. I love how snow looks so blue in late-afternoon shadows. Where are you, if you don't mind sharing?

Here's a picture of the eucalyptus trees that abound here.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened to Blewhisstack867???? Looks like he got stuck on 52. Of course he deserves a break for xmas, perhaps he had to actually attend to his family!!!! (-;

All 3 kids sick here for past 5 days, I took off xmas day and am dancing around cold viruses floating all around the house here. So far so good, but tomorrow we all get into a motorhome together for 5 days, could be nearly impossible not to get sick after that...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I made it back to So-Cal in November, and reveled in that awesome 72 year round weather. Love the eucalyptus and other flora down there

These are more attractive winter pics. Hoarfrost is pretty cool, despite meaning it's cold PLUS humid.

running down my driveway

fruit country, dormant pears

hoar frost.

So there ya go. I'd still take snow-free So-Cal roads!

edit to add: Central WA, since that's what you asked
Last edited by: ZippityDuDah: Dec 28, 18 19:27
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Bleatherbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bleatherbury wrote:
SharkFM wrote:
Paul_R wrote:
Happy Holidays to my ST pals.

I was wondering how many runners are say 55+ yo and in the 100/100. All of my friends are too gimped up from other sports to be able to run let alone attempt a consecutive block like this. Same here, just getting in the minimum at this point, still v/early. But that minimum is good I would normally get bored after 15-20 minutes on a treadmill.

I'm 66 and this is my first 100/100. I have been working to get my run back after a bad hamstring injury and a lack of consistency has been my biggest failure in getting back in shape. The 100/100 is exactly what I needed. So far, 15 runs and 68 miles since the 15th and going well.

30 minutes of easy run will get the blood flowing. Make sure you lean on your foam roller. I had to bite the bullet and go at my left leg IT band area with some heavy artillery -see my instagram :). So after literally hours of tissue re-hab, the leg and hip flexor (injury site) are feeling way better. In fact better than ever.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
HVP wrote:
Nice. I went to the high school on that road.

I ran at your old track this afternoon.

When I used to biz travel a ton, these "orange oases" on google maps were my friend. It used to be find of a sport to first find out where my meetings were then hit "hotels near XYZ". Then I would go to sattellite view and try to find a bright orange ring within 2 km of the hotel (warmup and cooldown). Then it was a bit of a 'sport' to see if I would get access or not. I swear tracks are the most guarded piece of real estate on the planet, 'excuse me can I use the track....is that entrance open???".....most of the time it would completely locked up. I think my success rate was lower than 50% but eventually you go to enough of the same places, that you find the tracks that you can access.

My best story was a year that I was in Munich. I am running through the olympic complex and the door to the Olympic stadium is WIDE OPEN....the Germans were cool with runners actually going into the track and USING IT (gasp). So next thing you know I am running mile repeats where Frank Shorter won the Olympic Marathon!!!!

A few years later I was in Beijing and Seoul. Beijing was all locked up and guarded. Even the warmup practice track was not accessible, BUT in Beijing, they have a 5K road loop north of the bird's nest where the entire 5K shoulder of the road is track surface....that was like heaven. Over to Seoul, and I picked my hotel close to the Olympic complex, and I looped around the stadium and one of the doors were open. A bunch of workers were working on the infield and I used sign language to ask them to let me use the track. They did.

I ran some 100m sprints in each of the 8 lanes from the 100m finals where Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis, Linford Christie ran....as did FloJo, Merlene Ottey, Evelyn Ashforth. It was super cool. Both times in Munich and Seoul running in an empty olympic stadium!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
What happened to Blewhisstack867???? Looks like he got stuck on 52. Of course he deserves a break for xmas, perhaps he had to actually attend to his family

(Cropped to leave his name out) - maybe there is something about this whole "increase volume gradually" thing?

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today I cut off my session todaya at 21 minutes. It was tempting to go the full 30 min, but I did not think my body should push past 30 min three days in a row. That would be more running than I did all of Nov. I also am hoping to do my 10,000m swim as 20x500IM tomorrow (this falls into the category of someone who would invent 100/100 when no one was doing it....likewise, I can't seem to rope any 'real swimmers into a 10,000m IM session and I just did the first 400IM of my LIFE 13 months ago). In any case, I cut off the run today. I may try to shuffle out 10 minutes tomorrow at some point after my 10,000m swim, but not sure what juice will be remaining. I'm a 53 year old with a brain of a 19 year old thinking that I have the ability to do anything I want.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wise decision.

All is going good here. Haven’t taken a day off yet, but will if necessary. I’ve definitely benefited from being able to run with my wife quite a bit through the holidays though, helps keep the easy days easy. But I’ve also been sensible when necessary, and only pushed it on days when my body really feels up to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're way smarter because you use the experience you have to make the right decisions, knowing that there's a tomorrow. Slowman said, it's about thinking of tomorrow's workout, and I think that's a sage advice.

I just did my first double. A 35 minute recovery jog this morning, and a 40 minute hill in the afternoon. I think it went well. Steady running definitely builds resilience

And as a side note: I just made some wonderful breakfast tacos, with brownies for dessert. I love having to take in all these calories!

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished run #19 of the challenge. It was a painfully slow 15 miler with a few cm of fresh snow underfoot to prevent much drive forward. I'm like you Dev, 52 year old body with a brain that thinks it should behave the same way it did 30 years ago. Likely due for a day off soon .... maybe I will swim extra long and take a day off tomorrow if my OCD brain will let me!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
You're way smarter because you use the experience you have to make the right decisions, knowing that there's a tomorrow. Slowman said, it's about thinking of tomorrow's workout, and I think that's a sage advice.

I just did my first double. A 35 minute recovery jog this morning, and a 40 minute hill in the afternoon. I think it went well. Steady running definitely builds resilience

And as a side note: I just made some wonderful breakfast tacos, with brownies for dessert. I love having to take in all these calories!

LOL....OK, I did not want to admit it, but during yesterday's 21 min run on the Woodway Curve, I found myself revving it up like I was doing accelerations with Linford Christie, FloJo, Evelyn Ashford and Carl Lewis in the Seoul Olympic stadium LOL...my bad leg started working OK and I started getting tempted and then I realized I was targeting a 10,000m IM swim today. So that massive swim day that is very core and leg intensive forced me to be "respectful". I almost paid the price for my running antics today with massive backstroke cramps 4500m into the 10,000m day, but I managed to keep it under control and got it done.

Tomorrow I will do my first XC ski of the year now that I hit my swim goal. There may or may not be some running attempt. I think I would be wise to avoid running just so that I can recovery from today's 3 hrs and 43 min of swimming and allow my legs to get recharged a bit before they get exposed to pounding again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck.

16 days straight of pretty much the minimum. Wonky knee holding up, maybe getting slightly better. I'll just run it out maybe?

5k after 2 days of too much alcohol and not enough sleep, wet roads, no speedwork, unorganized, what other excuses, this morning in 20:22.

Trying to stay on the first page, seems like 30 minutes a day will do it...

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your 15 miler in fresh snow inspired me. I ran along Espola to Blue Sky Reserve (a nature-y place), where I took trails up and around the dam at Lake Poway. Then, it was downhill (and more downhill) to home. Cruising the last 3 miles felt like winning.

Doing the 100/100 last year really helped my running. Doing it again this year is even better.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [-JBMarshTX][Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-JBMarshTX wrote:
I'll just run it out maybe?

Man, if you can figure this riddle out, I will give you my firstborn. This is the single-most important daily question in all of distance running - and this challenge.

I have been in near peak running shape so many times in my life, only to be hobbled 3 weeks before the big event. I've been running a long time and I still can't figure out when to "run it out." Two weeks into this challenge and I have about 17 niggles that are keeping that question on the forefront of my mind at all times.

Calamityjane88 wrote:
where I took trails up and around the dam at Lake Poway.

I'm sure you know this, but watch out for rattlesnakes. Especially when it's cold like this, the snakes come out to sun themselves on that path.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
17 days in and just completed my 17th run - 10km noting that it is summer and 15 degrees C above average this week. I've been consistently running 8k the first week, 10k the second week. Back to work later this week and I'll switch back to more of barryp type program (aiming to do a double on Thursday by running to and from work).

12 months ago I was rebuilding my fitness base after 4 years out of triathlons (3 teenage kids sporting commitments took priority over my training) and struggling to do back-to-back runs. I'm 51 and for me I need consistency and repetition in my running (3 times running a week is just a struggle, 5-6 times a week and I find a rhythm). The barryp program taught me a lot about how to run consistently and I built my volume to 80k a week by last October.

The 100/100 is perfect timing for me as I move more into ultras this year. The first A race is in May the 80k Margaret River ultra. I aim to use the 6 hour run in March at the AIS to get a feel for how I am travelling - so the 100/100 is the perfect training lead-in for me. The main aim is the Canberra 100k Ultra in September - 2017 I did a relay leg, 2018 I tried to solo, and did the first 2 legs as physically planned, but was not ready for how mentally tiring the ultra was. 2019 is redemption year :->

So, 17 runs in 17 days, the main thing I'm seeing at the moment is variability in heart rate (which I look at after each run). On the days when I am struggling for rhythm, I can't get my heart rate up. On days like today where I felt like I had good rhythm, my heart rate is more responsive.

A big thanks to slowman, dev and the slowtwitch community for organising this challenge
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you're that close to an event, there are a few things at work.

- Maybe some of it is mental. You may laugh, but I had an athlete that had this same malady 2-3 weeks before several big events. I kind of called him out on it. Problem solved. Don't look for it to happen.

- You've built up a lot of fatigue and fitness in the final weeks. The speed, etc. comes easy, so really you need to take it easier and not chase records.

- When things are going really well. As in "near peak running shape" we tend to neglect the little things that we might normally do. And, then it bites you in the ass. So, 'if' you roll or do mobility, keep doing it. Stay hydrated.

- When in doubt go easier, like a lot easier. Most of these runs have been 830 pace for me, which is slow. Feels slow, is slow. But, for the long-term for this 100 days, I think that it's necessary. I haven't run more than maybe 3 days in a row in over 4 years.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just banked my first run. My first day of the upcoming ski season is tomorrow. I don't want to have to run on ski days. This will probably be the main challenge for me over the next 3 months (barring sickness or the possibility of throwing out my back). Any other skiers out there? I generally put in about 10 or 15 days between January and the end of March. Nothing crazy, but banked runs in advance of ski days will be required to get me through.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Dec 31, 18 1:57
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
Just finished run #19 of the challenge. It was a painfully slow 15 miler with a few cm of fresh snow underfoot!

Dedication! I was forced to run shirtless today as we hit 75. But the cold front is moving in, according 52 for Thursday.
My mom reminded me Il that 6 years long I rode my bike to high school and back (10 mile one way) in snow sleet rain hail etc. I said I was glad to leave that party of my life behind :)

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey guys, just a general request to all of you. If we were on a track team or cross country team, the discussion outside of works is about the heroics during the workouts and the details contained therein (thus the interest int the BlueStack heroics). No one cares about your logging issues, and while I understand they are important to YOU (the general you), try to add in what your workouts were all about and what you are feeling and planning to do. Some pictures from runs would really add to the community feeling.

There are a lot of "TAKERS" who just go and log in the challenge, but never 'give back' and encourage others. We have 700+, and maybe only 50 actually talking about training. If no one is talking about training or racing, then in this context this challenge and any virtual camp may as well not exist.

So can you guys post about your workouts please and not just log in the spreadsheet?

OK, heeding this call...a bit of background and my status so far.

Background
  • Primarily compete in road cycling events, but have been scaling back road racing and mixing in tri's over the past 4+ years after a bad cycling race accident. Have done a mix of sprint and intls, along with two 140.6's and two 70.3's (one was shorted due to weather). Doubt I'll ever do a 140.6 again, but love the 70.3 distance...hard enough, but not "too" hard.
  • Am not a strong runner, around a 9:00-9:15/mile pace for an open half marathon, have been reduced to walking majority of last two 140.6 runs I have done (probably overbiking in ridiculously hot conditions).
  • Typically run 3-4x per week, working around a 5+x week cycling schedule...I realize this is not ideal if I want to improve running and overall tri performance, but I'm OK with it as (1) cycling is the first love, (2) dreams of a KQ are just that and (3) as long as I can get top 10 in AG in local races, and feel good about the effort, I'm fine.

Plan
  • Am doing the run challenge to (1) see if I can get the body and mind used to more regular running, (2) build a stronger run base, (3) lose a few more lbs, and (4) see if performance improvements can be made.
  • Also, due to particularly heavy work schedule the first few months of this year, I won't have as much time for cycling so looking at the running to help maintain aerobic fitness.
  • Plan is to run 6x per week (I really like 1 day off), keeping to 30-35 mins/run for first few weeks to get everything adapted, then starting lengthening 2-3x of these runs per week to build mileage. With respect to the challenge, the aspirational goal is 80ish runs, more realistic is 70ish.

Status
  • Have got 14 runs in thus far with one double day. No major pains other than right IT band flaring up a bit...so looks like lots of foam rolling and stretching in the future.
  • Starting to work on running form a bit, thanks to others' suggestions and a video someone linked to.

Will post updates as they occur and well as chime in to offer encouragement others. Thanks for creating and running the challenge!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [teetopkram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teetopkram wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey guys, just a general request to all of you. If we were on a track team or cross country team, the discussion outside of works is about the heroics during the workouts and the details contained therein (thus the interest int the BlueStack heroics). No one cares about your logging issues, and while I understand they are important to YOU (the general you), try to add in what your workouts were all about and what you are feeling and planning to do. Some pictures from runs would really add to the community feeling.

There are a lot of "TAKERS" who just go and log in the challenge, but never 'give back' and encourage others. We have 700+, and maybe only 50 actually talking about training. If no one is talking about training or racing, then in this context this challenge and any virtual camp may as well not exist.

So can you guys post about your workouts please and not just log in the spreadsheet?

OK, heeding this call...a bit of background and my status so far.

Background
  • Primarily compete in road cycling events, but have been scaling back road racing and mixing in tri's over the past 4+ years after a bad cycling race accident. Have done a mix of sprint and intls, along with two 140.6's and two 70.3's (one was shorted due to weather). Doubt I'll ever do a 140.6 again, but love the 70.3 distance...hard enough, but not "too" hard.
  • Am not a strong runner, around a 9:00-9:15/mile pace for an open half marathon, have been reduced to walking majority of last two 140.6 runs I have done (probably overbiking in ridiculously hot conditions).
  • Typically run 3-4x per week, working around a 5+x week cycling schedule...I realize this is not ideal if I want to improve running and overall tri performance, but I'm OK with it as (1) cycling is the first love, (2) dreams of a KQ are just that and (3) as long as I can get top 10 in AG in local races, and feel good about the effort, I'm fine.

Plan
  • Am doing the run challenge to (1) see if I can get the body and mind used to more regular running, (2) build a stronger run base, (3) lose a few more lbs, and (4) see if performance improvements can be made.
  • Also, due to particularly heavy work schedule the first few months of this year, I won't have as much time for cycling so looking at the running to help maintain aerobic fitness.
  • Plan is to run 6x per week (I really like 1 day off), keeping to 30-35 mins/run for first few weeks to get everything adapted, then starting lengthening 2-3x of these runs per week to build mileage. With respect to the challenge, the aspirational goal is 80ish runs, more realistic is 70ish.

Status
  • Have got 14 runs in thus far with one double day. No major pains other than right IT band flaring up a bit...so looks like lots of foam rolling and stretching in the future.
  • Starting to work on running form a bit, thanks to others' suggestions and a video someone linked to.

Will post updates as they occur and well as chime in to offer encouragement others. Thanks for creating and running the challenge!

Congrats. One of your main goals is to see if running can help you maintain aerobic fitness when time crunched. This is really the ultimate goal of the challenge. To show all you guys what you can achieve when time crunched. Those 30 min runs don't take a boatload of time. You still have 23.5 hours per day to do "rest of life". If we can make sport a priority for 30 minutes then it is a win. Fill it with running and you get the best quality workout in those 30 minutes of all sports. If you can add 20 min of walking per day (two 10 min walk breaks on top of your 30 min run, or do a meeting with colleagues while walking), then you get 3 hours of running plus ~2 hours of walking. Total time on your feet is now 5 hours. I don't know what your weekly volume in hours was before your 140.6, and although you may have overbiked, I would be curious to know if your run split was faster than your average weekly hours of running+walking. I would guess that it was not. Most people don't even run 4 hours per week and then on the day of the Ironman once they get over 4 hours it becomes a real challenge to continue running....they are now doing more than their weekly run volume AFTER 114.4 miles of exercise BEFORE!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
One of your main goals is to see if running can help you maintain aerobic fitness when time crunched. This is really the ultimate goal of the challenge. To show all you guys what you can achieve when time crunched. Those 30 min runs don't take a boatload of time. You still have 23.5 hours per day to do "rest of life". If we can make sport a priority for 30 minutes then it is a win. Fill it with running and you get the best quality workout in those 30 minutes of all sports.

I forget when I first did the challenge (2010 maybe?), but after that, I made 30 minutes my "standard" for workout minimum, across any of the 3 disciplines, but especially for running and swimming (biking tends to be longer). Just seems like a good target.

This is the craziest I've seen the leaderboard in terms of frequency. So far I've taken one day off (Christmas), done 4 doubles, and feeling good so far. No speedwork, just trying to keep consistent.

Running is my default workout, so my challenge while doing this is to keep up with some biking and swimming. So far, only about 1x per week with those, but I should get back to the routine in January, with about 2 bikes and 2 swims per week.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Slowman for roping me into being a participant in 100/100.

As I mentioned, to you I wanted to use it to do some weight bearing exercise with the hope of doing some classic style XC skiing.

Well, today I got my new classic skin skis out and headed out in Gatineau Park north of Ottawa.....before I knew it, I was at this ice falls location 10km from my car and oblivious to distance....I could have kept going and going, but realized that with no nutrition on me (no water, no food), venturing further would be a bad idea. Between my upper body and core being in shape from swimming and the pre 100/100 short shuffle prep and the runs since 100/100 started, I was pretty good to go.

in any case, I'll use my shuffling around in the 100/100 as a "land leg training" to see if I can get up to a 50K classic ski by end of the challenge.

Today, is another day of zeros in the challenge though.

Happy New Year to all. I'll likely resume running on Jan 2 at the gym with the Woodway curve treadmill....this thing is forcing both legs to fire or it pretty well stops.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been meaning to post here, but life gets busy and well, everyone knows the drill!

My goal has always been to get 70 runs in, plan is 5 runs a week, first week was tough doing 7 in a row, the small calf and foot muscles were coming out to say hello and the first 2 off days were much needed!

I ran a total of 0km from aug 2017-jun2018 due to what felt like the worst case of ITBS ever, after a few PT's finally found a guy with a different approach and alas the pain went away!
From June-October I built up from my first 'run' of 2x30 seconds to a long run of 23km. Capped off my not so much of a season with my only race 70.3 NOLA. Was able to throw down a 1:46.xx half off of a pretty hard bike at an IF.838

So the plan here for the first 5 weeks is 5 runs at the 30 min minimum as I am still developing base from being off so long, into week 3 here and I am feeling strong on the run. I feel like I could start extending some runs, but I'm going to stick to the 5 week plan and then re-asses.

Going to be heading for 2 weeks of fun in the sun with the family on Sunday, and the wife is on board withe getting the short runs in! Generally when it's family vacation time, workouts are few and far between as family is the key word in that sentence!

Hopefully everyone can stick to their plan and stay injury free!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dev et al.

Firstly, thanks again to everyone who is in on "the streak" this year. I love the motivation.

This is year 7 or 8 of the 100/100 for me and I've spent the first 15 days of this year's challenge on a remote cattle ranch in Central California. I grew up in Michigan and Colorado so "winter" here is more like spring in the rest of the US. We've had some rain so the green is starting to breakthrough in December.

I devised a trail run here that utilized the paths that the cattle made in the canyon. It was a stunning way to log the miles and I wanted to tell the tale with images.

My runs started out this gate here - you can see a concerned cow just over the post in the background...

The trail is narrow and there's lots of dead mustard stalks still hanging in form last season...

The big reveal is ~300m into the run, I come around the shoulder of the hillside and can see a mile and half down the valley to the Pacific Ocean.

I have perhaps a dozen favorite segments of this rather short run but this one is likely the best. The soil is smooth here and the grass short and tight - it's like a putting green. I'm able to let me feet fall where they like while I look to the beach, the bluff, the height of the tide, and the pool table surface gives me time to judge if I can run around the point. Tide was low enough on this day to skirt the beach.

After the beach section I have to climb a game trial (no cows in this area) through some sage. The base is littered with drift wood, and this time, a scull and spine from recent victim of the natural food chain.

At the top of this cut, my heart rate is always higher than I like, and I pop out onto the rail road tracks

Then I have 800m to run on the right-of-way

When it's dry I'll run the clay on the edge. After a rain the mud is brutal so I'll run the ties - they are spaced in a way that it feels like doing a quick-feet drill on an agility ladder. The ballast (stones that cradle the ties) are nearly the size of a lacrosse ball with sharp edges. It takes concentration not to roll an ankle on this stuff. There's always deer prints in the mud here and one time I saw a bobcat on this section. There was a heavy headwind that allowed me to go unheard and unscented as I got to within 10m of the cat.

Of course there's a stream crossing - how can you have a post-worthy trial run with no stream crossing!?!!

The developmental years of my athletic life where in the Rockies so I feel extra welcome as I run over the dry needles and under this one and only pine tree on the whole route.

Live Oaks are the primary trees in this area and this one requires jumping a huge, low lying limb. Also, there was swarm of bees occupying a Boo Radley knothole the last few times I ran this which demanded perfect execution of the hurdle.

Bees aren't the only hazard when you're running on a cattle ranch.

Some 3-4 week old calves watch on as I huff and puff back up the canyon.

Sage waiting to brush my thighs as I float by.

The final push.

I'm back home in Los Angeles now and it's a shock. I'm here with 4 million of my closest, most personal friends. I've got 22,000 miles of paved roads that are runable. I also have a dreadmill in a nearby gym. I'll be running an out-n-back, coastal route for perhaps 40 of the remaining runs of the Challenge. Maybe I'll bring my phone and grab some pics of what I see on my "urban" route too.

All the best, Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Dec 31, 18 18:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next