Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
As it stands if I look at my training log, I did 1:25 of jogging the week before (and including weekend of 100/100 start) and at 2:16 this week and I am pretty sure, I'll end up close to 3 hours this week because of this stupid challenge!!!!

Dev, the past few months I think I've maxed out around 40 miles in a week and was over 60 the first week of this challenge.... so much for a gradual increase! Fortunately, I am not running them fast and I have 40 years of racing under my belt so it doesn't really feel like I'm overdoing things but the challenge does get you psyched up. Only 114 days until Boston so I need to embrace the run focus. As a nod to my advancing years and the wear and tear I've subjected my body to, I spent 2.5 hours on the trainer this morning and only ran for 47 minutes. This will be my strategy to avoid overdoing it on my weekend running.

I just verified my log and the last bunch of weeks were 50 min running, 20 min, 1:25, 1:00 and 2:36 so far this week and probably going to end up at 3:06 LOL). During the same period swim is 31K, 25.6K, 28.3K, 30.2K and 20.8K so the good news is that with the swim focus going on, there is only so much additional energy to give to running....so there is only so much I can overdo it. But I hear what you are saying about having all these years under the belt so its easy just to feel like it would be possible to ramp quickly.

Best of luck with Boston!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
double up today for gold cup status!!

for those slogging around aimlessly on these 30min runs... how about focus on form to avoid the ironman shuffle.... great vid here:

https://www.youtube.com/...rCm6UA2U1k&t=24s
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seem to have dropped off the board. Just a temporary software blip? I'm on 9 runs 9 days, approx 37 miles. Was on the board after syncing earlier today, but now no sign?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I just see that BlueStack has hit 50 run in 9 days. This is really cool. I don't care how you cut it, averaging 5 runs per day is insane!!!! It's less about the 2.5 hours average running per day....it's getting out of the next run and the next run and the next run and the next run after 1 hour mandatory breaks. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I have a hard time training more than 1x per day and in normal years I am an 800 hr per year athlete (this year should come in at 730). 730 hours is exactly 2 hours per day every day all year, so generally it's 2x per day all year and I find one of the workouts is hard to get rolling for (if I do an evening workout, morning workout is hard, if I do a morning workout and go hard, my lunch of evening workout is hard to get going with)....generally I like 2 meal cycles between workouts to feel "on" for the second workout. This guys is on the 5x per day plan. Not sure when he is eating etc etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today was 8th run for me, so will have to double up at some point. My wife thought I missed a second run, and man did I hear it about "not taking this very seriously." I am mostly slogging through 30 - 35min sessions for now, and trying to work on form. My posture sucks, and causing shoulder issues, so trying to think about it a lot, and not at all worry about pace. Never have done a challenge like this, and having taken a couple months off of running, really wanting to take it easy and be consistent.

Thanks to everyone for the challenge and the encouragement offered to each other. Wow, communitiy, go figure :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, I am a fan.

Keep building the R volume!
(*no injuries, plz)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
double up today for gold cup status!!

for those slogging around aimlessly on these 30min runs... how about focus on form to avoid the ironman shuffle.... great vid here:

https://www.youtube.com/...rCm6UA2U1k&t=24s

congrats! good job w the double. I plan to do lots of doubles, if the body/back hold up in the coming weeks to 'catch up' and build the R volume, per plan.

Glad you earned the gold cup! Keep up the good work.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [claypole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
claypole wrote:
I seem to have dropped off the board. Just a temporary software blip? I'm on 9 runs 9 days, approx 37 miles. Was on the board after syncing earlier today, but now no sign?

So I just synced this morning's Run 10 Day 10 and still not reappeared on board. Any ideas ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [claypole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, just a general request to all of you. If we were on a track team or cross country team, the discussion outside of works is about the heroics during the workouts and the details contained therein (thus the interest int the BlueStack heroics). No one cares about your logging issues, and while I understand they are important to YOU (the general you), try to add in what your workouts were all about and what you are feeling and planning to do. Some pictures from runs would really add to the community feeling.

There are a lot of "TAKERS" who just go and log in the challenge, but never 'give back' and encourage others. We have 700+, and maybe only 50 actually talking about training. If no one is talking about training or racing, then in this context this challenge and any virtual camp may as well not exist.

So can you guys post about your workouts please and not just log in the spreadsheet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I would post a quick update on how the grind went and how my body is holding up. Days 1 through 9 ended up with total runs: 10, 9, 4, 4, 3, 4, 4, 6, 6 (about 3.6 miles each run). The hardest part on day one was sitting around and watching the clock for the hour to finish so I could start the next run.

I woke up the next morning and was surprised. My legs felt strong, no aches and pains. Day two was about the same the first half of the day. By the second half of the day it was the complete opposite… the 1-hour breaks went by too fast and I felt like I couldn’t get anything done between the runs.

Days 3 through 7 (weekdays) were hard. I set my alarm 45 minutes early all 5 days, so I could get a run in early before work. My legs were stiff and sore every morning I woke up and it was hard to get going. The accumulative mileage made my quads and calves hurt all week. I completed my second run each day as soon as I got home from work to be most efficient with the hours in the day. There was time for two more runs each evening before bed.

Day 8 my wife let me sleep in until 9:00, and was probably the only reason I was able to do 6 runs. My legs were thrashed. I put my feet in a bucket of ice midway through the day.

Day 9 I was able to sleep in again for recovery and was able to run another 6, feeling a little bit better than the previous day.

Injuries: Sometime in the middle of the week I had a touch of plantar fasciitis in my left heel area and was able to self-treat it within a day. It has not been back. Days 8 and 9, I struggled with pain below my Achilles tendon and above my heel. It took a while to figure out, but I do not believe it is the tendon. I think it is repetitive rubbing on the skin and bone that was irritated. I actually ended up changing into a pair of one of my worn out decommissioned running shoes (same model) and it stopped the pain.

What I watched and my review (scale 1-10):
Oklahoma City (8)
Budhia Singh Born to Run (5)
LA 92 (10)
Blackfish (8)
How it Ends (2)
I am Bolt (8)
The Haunting of Hill House, a couple episodes (9) too scary for treadmill
Good Will Hunting (10)
Poseidon (4)
And a shit ton of chess opening tutorials on youtube.

Christmas Eve - I got my run in this morning for the day. We are hosting extended family later this morning. Christmas day we are also hosting other family – and of course play with the kids all day. We are then traveling out of state for the rest of the week and weekend to visit other family. My goal this week is to run once per day to recover and enjoy Christmas.

Merry Christmas all!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My oldest made me a chart and puts on a sticker after each run

plantar fasciitis treatment

going for broke, seemed like a good idea

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
love the update bluestacks867!
I think it helps to see exactly how challenging that was. Props to you.

As we get into this, I'll add a few things that I've learned over the decades of running/coaching runners:

-listen to your body: rest if needed, ice the PF or roll a tennnis ball, gently stretch, do some core/gentle strength work...TAKE A DAY OFF IF YOU NEED TO

-keep the pace slow most of the time while ramping up any volume of mileage (*which is likely true for most) and if you do add some intensity, keep it short and sweet-like 4-6 x 20-30 sec striders/reps done a few times towards the end of the run really helps. I try to do them at least once or twice weekly all year long, but once I have a base, I often do ~45 sec reps at R pace (*per Jack Daniel's vdot based on my best races the prior season)

-if you have the base and are trying to keep intensity on a weekly basis, consider tempo paced runs capping it at 10% and split it up during a few runs-this is really the base season; repeats at 1/4 mile are fun and break up the miles

-keep good form-don't practice the IM shuffle, stay relaxed, arms in your 'good position', minimize lateral movement

-overall volume is king for run builds-any way you get it done

I'm happy to report that my back injury on Day 2 is feeling good, so I'm planning some doubles. Today's R#1 went well, even added short repeats at T-done in the light snow flurries...have a great day all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough request, I will give an update of my motivation and how the first 10 days have gone.

Background: For the past 18 months, I've been in a mostly run only mode, (virtually no swimming or cycling) that all started with a goal of qualifying for Boston. I ran 2:57 at the Jax Marathon in Dec-17 and achieved that goal. I've logged a lot of miles through 2018 (3,180 YTD), ran a 50 mile trail race in the spring, and am just coming of a PB of 2:55 at NYC last month. I logged a few down weeks and started my Boston training cycle a few weeks ago. I would like to run 2:49 at Boston, and am using this challenge as motivation for a couple of things. I want to average 70-80 mpw during the cycle, so I'm hoping to do 2-3 doubles each week of 4-5 miles each at recovery pace. I will run 6-7 days per week, with a day off every other week or so- basically whenever I feel like I need one. I would also like to lose about 15 lbs during the cycle, (I'm 44 years old, 6'2", 210 pounds- was about 208 when I ran NY). Would like to at least get to the mid 190's. I do most of my running in the morning, but find when I double up at lunch time I usually make wiser fueling decisions as well.

First 10 days: I logged 87 miles last week and have 122 miles through 10 days. Most of the mileage was fairly easy with the exception of a track workout on Thursday. The 87 miles last the most weekly mileage since the spring (I averaged about 60 mpw in the 16 weeks leading up to NY with a peak week right at 80 miles. This last weekend, I only ran once each day but ran 15 easy miles both days. My legs were feeling achy and dead. But I did 8 hill repeats this morning on a hill just short of 1/4 mile, and after the first rep they felt surprisingly really good. I plan to run another 4 easy miles at lunch and will hit the track later this week again. Hoping to finish around 80 miles this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey guys, just a general request to all of you. If we were on a track team or cross country team, the discussion outside of works is about the heroics during the workouts and the details contained therein (thus the interest int the BlueStack heroics). No one cares about your logging issues, and while I understand they are important to YOU (the general you), try to add in what your workouts were all about and what you are feeling and planning to do. Some pictures from runs would really add to the community feeling.

There are a lot of "TAKERS" who just go and log in the challenge, but never 'give back' and encourage others. We have 700+, and maybe only 50 actually talking about training. If no one is talking about training or racing, then in this context this challenge and any virtual camp may as well not exist.

So can you guys post about your workouts please and not just log in the spreadsheet?

I can do that. I didn't think of it as "taking" so much as "not bothering everyone with random blather".

Man it is hard to cool my jets for an hour before my second run, especially since my first was right after a swim and I'm dying of chlorine itch. Going to take a damn long shower after the next one. Twenty minutes to go...

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my 7th run in this morning. All my runs have purposively been 30 - 40 minutes at a super easy pace. I'm 60 and all of a sudden the injury bug caught up with me the past two years. Last year was the first time in many decades I didn't compete in a running or triathlon event. This challenge is great for me - I will get back into shape without trying to do too much volume or worry about pace. Anyway, this challenge seems to be working for me: I'm motivated and starting to get my running legs back. I'm still busy with work and family stuff, but I can always squeeze in 30 minutes. As an aside, one of my running pals who is 70 is doing the challenge. He's not registered but I know for sure (Strava) he's done 10 runs. People like him keep me motivated.

Happy Holidays to my ST pals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First timer...great challenge looking forward to racking it up...my motivation is miles....I have been a runner who is on and off throughout life. Coming up on 50th birthday I was "off" and needed a challenge.

I thought of a few (swim English Channel will have to wait for 60 (I am not a good swimmer!)). I settled on running 1968 miles between 50 and 51...to make it real I made it a bet...I bet friends and family if I make it they send donation to a charity I picked if I don't make it I send a check to a charity they pick. (There is $12K at risk right now)....

Some people 40 miles a week is easy...for me its a challenge, family, work, size and starting from close to zero al in the way..so in the beginning of my challenge I ran (slowly) a 1/2 marathon and run into friends who mention this challenge. We make a side beer bet where low buys high at the end of the 100/100.

So my 100/100 is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma....or a beer bet wrapped in a life challenge inside an older beer bet?

I plan on ramping up time as I go so I am 30 minutes minimum for first 50 runs then will try for 40 minute minimum for next 50 runs maybe higher then will see what happens!

I find the 30 minutes not that bad it takes me a mile to get going I definately have dead legs planning to get out is really the hard part but generally since I am not breaking speed records 2 x 30 minutes a day with a few hour break is not that bad.

Last I made a rule in my life challenge that I could not use a treadmill...living in the Northeast I may regret that soon.

Merry Christmas to all and good luck in the challenge!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Hey guys, just a general request to all of you...."
Appreciate the point Paul, more than happy to blather on about my training, indeed already have done and much appreciate the encouraging replies, and very much enjoy reading what others are doing and why. But, sorry, how do i sort out the fact that I seem to have disappeared from the challenge stats ? I can obviously just monitor it myself through Strava etc but part of the fun is lookng up where you rank and where others rank and whether they're still hanging in there. Should I PM someone or ...? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First timer, also.

My motivation is volume. Also to lose a bunch of weight.

I am a big believer in multiples. I'm trying to run four times a day (but only logging two, per the minimum duration rules): (1) longer run in the morning, (2) 10 minutes on the treadmill after a 40 min swim at lunch, (3) maybe a quick 10 minutes on the treadmill after I get home and change (better than a glass of vodka, right?), and then a 30 minute run outside, after my evening trainer session.

I'm running very slowly in order to keep up the volume and not get injured. Fingers crossed. So far it's working. In fact, yesterday I was feeling pretty sore after a very hilly long run earlier in the day. But then I spun for an hour on the trainer and went out for a quick second run of the day and I actually felt less sore afterwards. Weird. Without this challenge, I probably would have wussed out of the second run. So, thank you.

I was worried about form getting wonky when running slower, but I'm actually finding it to be a great opportunity to work on form. Just take baby steps and keep the tempo up and pelvis forward.

I'm looking forward to reading about peoples' outcomes vs training methods, as someone on here proposed. However, if I do this right, my particulars will be mostly uninformative, as my running outcome will have been confounded by weight loss, lower alcohol consumption, etc.
Last edited by: HVP: Dec 24, 18 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HVP good stuff...as a first timer as well I wanted to make sure I was doing it right, I read thru and just re-read thru the rules I did not see anything about only 2 a day....where are you seeing that? just need an hour break between.....Let me know if you are seeing different section or if any of the experienced 100ers can let us know....
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run #10 done, meaning 10% of the way through 100/100. And I feel like I'm about 10% of the way towards being the runner I like being, again. Got a 50k trail race in Moab, UT on Jan 26th to act as additional motivation. I won't really be in the shape I'd like to be for that kind of event, but hopefully it will not be a sufferfest.

Still moving fairly slowly outdoors, though always amazed and happy at how much easier it is to go faster when I can chase people (e.g. in Central Park, NYC last week). Tried my first treadmill run and was a bit disappointed how hard that was. Last year, I started on the treadmill at about 3 miles in 30 mins. It would take me at least 5 mins to get up to 8min/mile. By the end of 100/100 last time I was running 4 miles in 28 mins on the treadmill (this includes warming up which takes me at least a few mins). I managed 3.76 on the first try, which is great compared to last year, but not what I was expecting from the faster outdoor segments so far. Just keep moving forwards, anyway.

Also happy with with how my body hasn't blown up by going from zero to 40 miles in a week. Bits of soreness and stiffness, but generally things are all working surprisingly well. Just have to be careful not to blow out a calf muscle, which would quite likely end 100/100 for me.

Meanwhile, busy packing up our much-too-big-house and dealing with all the stresses and chaos that implies. Moving out (and on) Jan 3rd. At least, that's the plan.

Keep running everybody!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [mclandon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mclandon wrote:
HVP good stuff...as a first timer as well I wanted to make sure I was doing it right, I read thru and just re-read thru the rules I did not see anything about only 2 a day....where are you seeing that? just need an hour break between.....Let me know if you are seeing different section or if any of the experienced 100ers can let us know....

You're correct in your reading. I can't log them because they are too short.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [Paul_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul_R wrote:
Got my 7th run in this morning. All my runs have purposively been 30 - 40 minutes at a super easy pace. I'm 60 and all of a sudden the injury bug caught up with me the past two years. Last year was the first time in many decades I didn't compete in a running or triathlon event. This challenge is great for me - I will get back into shape without trying to do too much volume or worry about pace. Anyway, this challenge seems to be working for me: I'm motivated and starting to get my running legs back. I'm still busy with work and family stuff, but I can always squeeze in 30 minutes. As an aside, one of my running pals who is 70 is doing the challenge. He's not registered but I know for sure (Strava) he's done 10 runs. People like him keep me motivated.

I was wondering how many runners are say 55+ yo and in the 100/100. All of my friends are too gimped up from other sports to be able to run let alone attempt a consecutive block like this. Same here, just getting in the minimum at this point, still v/early. But that minimum is good I would normally get bored after 15-20 minutes on a treadmill.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Third time doing the challenge never completing the full 100/100. Coming off a good running year and will have +2000-miles by the end of it with some peak 90k weeks which is high for me. Hoping to average 10km per day alternating double 6-k runs with single 8-k runs. Trying to keep it easy at 5:00/km pace with tempo once per week while adding swimming and increasing bike volume and intensity after a few off months of only running. My doubles will sandwich an easy 1 hour ride for a nice 2-hour workout. Other than that, just trying to keep it relaxed. Had to tape my right achilles for a few runs as I felt a "twitch" on day 7 after a progressive tempo run. I will be keeping track of that more closely as the challenge continues. Good luck to all and have a Merry Christmas.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Paul_R wrote:

I was wondering how many runners are say 55+ yo and in the 100/100. All of my friends are too gimped up from other sports to be able to run let alone attempt a consecutive block like this. Same here, just getting in the minimum at this point, still v/early. But that minimum is good I would normally get bored after 15-20 minutes on a treadmill.

55 here and a first timer...it's likely I'll do almost all of these runs on treadmills. Reality being what it is, highly improbable I'll make it to anything like 100 runs but I have no plans to not give it a go, either. If any of the usual suspects(knees/big toe/piriformis) start talking to me, I'll give it a break. After ten days, I'm feeling pretty good, tho...

I was watching the last Mission Impossible flick on the TV and nearly lost my balance during a sky-diving scene; spatial disorientation, lol.

To all, best of luck through the holidays...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 12th Annual 2018/19 Slowtwitch 100/100 Run Challenge Thread [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gosh - I am usually not considered a "taker," haha. That was an effective strategy to get me to post after many, many years of not ever posting. Maybe this will be a significant ST life-turning point for me!

I am 53, female, have had two surgeries on each knee over the years and five years ago, was just trying to walk without a limp. I got back the walking and gradually introduced running. I am a solid 2-3 minutes slower per mile than I used to be but just grateful to be able to run pain free. This challenge is an experiment to see if this might allow me to regain some of my lost "speed" (although never that fast). I have observed all of you 100/100 people over the years and admired your commitment. I am glad to be a part of this year's group.

I have run 10 x 30 minutes (roughly) so far at a glacial pace. But so far, so good. My best challenge story is that I actually thought that Friday the 14th was the 15th. So I ran a run on the 14th that won't count for this challenge but in my head, I've actually run 11/11 so far.

This morning's run was done on a cold, sunny morning in the 3-mile shape of a Christmas tree with friends and our dogs. Perfect.
Cheers! I am rooting for you all!
Quote Reply

Prev Next