Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan, from a holistic perspective, you get my vote for best triathlete ever. I'm really enjoying all the info. My question is on your cadence. You say you had an expected cadence of 82-83. How did you find this was optimal for you? Just feels right or through testing? If the latter, can you tell me how you would do that? Finally, would your targeted cadence change for a different IM course?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anarchist Pass is the other climb you are thinking of - http://www.bikemap.net/...p;zoom=11&type=2

Next up, ITU LD World's on Nov 5 is Las Vegas.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan, kudos for your killer execution of an excellent race plan at IMC.

1. You mentioned using CP in lieu of FTP when choosing target wattages for various portions of your race. Are you estimating your CP based on the Monod method i.e. the slope of the work duration curve? Are you using a spread sheet, Golden Cheetah, Raceday or other means for this?

2. Approximately how often or many times did you back peddle to reset your Cinqo's zero offset during the course of the race.

Thanks for an inspiring performance..

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Jordan, kudos for your killer execution of an excellent race plan at IMC.

1. You mentioned using CP in lieu of FTP when choosing target wattages for various portions of your race. Are you estimating your CP based on the Monod method i.e. the slope of the work duration curve? Are you using a spread sheet, Golden Cheetah, Raceday or other means for this?

2. Approximately how often or many times did you back peddle to reset your Cinqo's zero offset during the course of the race.

Thanks for an inspiring performance..

Hugh

1. I'm more "empirical" about CP. I tend to actually "feel" for the inflection in the curve. Like, I do 3min reps, 5min reps, 8min reps, 10min reps, 10km reps, 20km, 30min, etc. And I think that from doing all of those workouts, I get a reasonable idea of that "break point." Formulas are great. But, in my experience, whether it's lactate, or graphing, etc. I tend to basically come up with the same number. So now I just trust my instincts. So far, it's served me well.

2. I didn't. That's one of the things that I forget to do semi-regularly. But, in my experience, it doesn't tend to skew things that much. 4hrs in, my legs are way more "variable" than my powermeter is...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that a lot of athletes that train with power, either coached or not should make sure that the read and re-read your answer to 1.

I had the same conversation with an fellow triathlete earlier this year who asked about field testing, raising FTP, etc. I basically said that I do not really do any field testing. After he got over his look of horror, I explained that if you do a variety of intervals and look at the numbers of those intervals or a variety of workouts, you do not really need testing. Sure, it can take a little effort or a coach who does more than just plug in numbers to formulas, but a clearly defined LT/FTP/WTF is not really absolutely necessary.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

I apologize if this was already asked, but I didn't see it if it was:

To address GI issues have you made dietary adjustments to eliminate potential gut irritant triggers such as gluten or dairy?

Ben Greenfield

P.S. Nice job, you ran by me at mile 1 and I raised my water bottle full of alcoholic beverage in salute.

Ben Greenfield

Nutrition & Human Performance Advice
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [pacificfit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he's gluten-free.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relating to GF from our discussion at Whole Foods (not race related per se, but IMC Week related) as an athlete who in not gluten intolerant but eating GF because it helps my stomach while running, what do you eat for bread - ie: are sprouted wheat breads like Squirrely bread ok, or do you just go away from eating bread altogether? It might just be making my own, as most of the GF Bob's Red Mill stuff is really pretty good, but one nutritionalist said that the sprouted wheat was fine for GF.

Thanks!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:

Gotcha. If so, Jordan, have you eliminated gluten crossreactivity components (caffeine is the big one)?

Ben Greenfield

Nutrition & Human Performance Advice
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned your mountain bike....is this hinting that you may be checking out XTERRA in the future?

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

Again, big congrats on your win. Even though I was travelling, I stayed updated via smartphone and was amazed with your performance. Your answers here have been extremely educational and your story is inspirational. Thank you.

1) Do you use any shoe inserts in your running and/or bike shoes (i.e Superfeet, etc)?
2) How did you carry your salt tabs during bike and run?
3) In your earlier nutrition reports, I thought you had used caffeine in gels, etc throughout a race. I believe you said you only drank a Red Bull at run special needs IMC, no other source of caffeine. Did something (i.e info, experience) change your strategy regarding the use of caffeine throughout an IM? Forgive me if I misunderstood.

Thank you for taking time to help.

Ernie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, thank you for being so accessible. It's a rare treat.

I raced this last weekend and found the heat intolerable. Have tried many remedies over the years, covering up completely , long sleeves, long socks, foreign legion hat, you name it. With sunscreens as well.

So was curious.

You did not seem to be overly covered yet you don't appear sunburned, at least you did not appear that way as you ran north and I hobbled south. By the time I get to the run, no matter how carefully I have covered and avoided the sun I'm usually toast. And as just about everyone has come to realise the race really does start on the run.

What works for you.

regards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would you compare the weather conditions this year to when you won in 2009? I raced in '09 and a friend and training partner raced this year. He said the heat was brutal this year, I remember 30+ t's and lots of haze/smoke in '09.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [pacificfit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pacificfit wrote:
Jordan,

I apologize if this was already asked, but I didn't see it if it was:

To address GI issues have you made dietary adjustments to eliminate potential gut irritant triggers such as gluten or dairy?

Ben Greenfield

P.S. Nice job, you ran by me at mile 1 and I raised my water bottle full of alcoholic beverage in salute.

I actually think it was too much fiber with dinner. I had some leftover green beans and beets, and I had them with my dinner. Normally, I'd avoid that fibre, but it wasn't very much, and I thought I'd be fine. I also drank more fluid volume than normal, which also needs to go "somewhere."

I've been gluten free for a long time. I don't avoid dairy. It doesn't seem to give me much trouble, though I basically confine my dairy to fermented - yogurt, sour cream, etc.

I don't have consistent GI issues of any sort. I would guess that I likely just ate too much food VOLUME the day before the race. That, combined with heat, which results in extra fluid volume, seems to be additionally hard on the stomach.

I'd expect to have more bloating, loss of core control, etc. if it was an "irritant" issue. I think it was just a "not enough space" issue. Plus heat. And sometimes, the toll of Ironman is a bit much. In seven Ironmans, I've been remarkably consistent (though for the first two, I was NOT gluten free) with what I've eaten. Of those races, I've had stomach issues twice, both on hot days. In my entire career, I've had GI distress five times. Once was the obvious result of WAY too much caffeine. The other times, it was ALWAYS in a race that was in hotter-than-average temperatures. Though I have had races in hotter than average temperatures where I did fine as well.

The big "problem" areas - not digesting, gut not clearing, etc - don't affect me. I just really had to take a crap a few times on the run. But I "felt" fine other than that.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Tex wrote:
I think that a lot of athletes that train with power, either coached or not should make sure that the read and re-read your answer to 1.

I had the same conversation with an fellow triathlete earlier this year who asked about field testing, raising FTP, etc. I basically said that I do not really do any field testing. After he got over his look of horror, I explained that if you do a variety of intervals and look at the numbers of those intervals or a variety of workouts, you do not really need testing. Sure, it can take a little effort or a coach who does more than just plug in numbers to formulas, but a clearly defined LT/FTP/WTF is not really absolutely necessary.

I actually think single tests are misleading. Whether they are overly good or overly bad, I believe you end up overly reliant on a single data point. The number also fluctuates. I had a pretty good idea of what the number was. And the majority of my workouts reinforced that belief. So that's what I went with.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Relating to GF from our discussion at Whole Foods (not race related per se, but IMC Week related) as an athlete who in not gluten intolerant but eating GF because it helps my stomach while running, what do you eat for bread - ie: are sprouted wheat breads like Squirrely bread ok, or do you just go away from eating bread altogether? It might just be making my own, as most of the GF Bob's Red Mill stuff is really pretty good, but one nutritionalist said that the sprouted wheat was fine for GF.

Thanks!

Brent

Sprouted might have less gluten (because the sprouting process likely digests a fair bit of the protein), but I'd certainly NOT recommend it is as gluten free.

The only bread I eat is totally gluten free AND YEAST FREE. So, generally, rice bread made without additional yeast (some natural yeast). Though I've actually cut WAY back on the amount of bread I eat. I eat a lot more potatoes now. That's actually my suspect as to the other source of the excess fiber the day before the race. Because I made my potatoes with the skin on... Potatoes with skin for lunch and dinner plus some beans and beets. I think I wasn't careful enough with my fiber intake.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [ian10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ian10 wrote:
You mentioned your mountain bike....is this hinting that you may be checking out XTERRA in the future?

I'd honestly love to do XTerra. But I'm a pretty crappy mountain biker going downhill. I'm a scaredy cat. I like going uphill a lot though. I need an XTerra with an EASY bike course...

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [triDVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triDVM wrote:
Jordan,

Again, big congrats on your win. Even though I was travelling, I stayed updated via smartphone and was amazed with your performance. Your answers here have been extremely educational and your story is inspirational. Thank you.

1) Do you use any shoe inserts in your running and/or bike shoes (i.e Superfeet, etc)?
2) How did you carry your salt tabs during bike and run?
3) In your earlier nutrition reports, I thought you had used caffeine in gels, etc throughout a race. I believe you said you only drank a Red Bull at run special needs IMC, no other source of caffeine. Did something (i.e info, experience) change your strategy regarding the use of caffeine throughout an IM? Forgive me if I misunderstood.

Thank you for taking time to help.

Ernie

- bike shoes - eSoles custom. Run shoes, I have "sort of" custom ones. I'm working with zoot on new prototype insoles.

- saltstick (6cap carriers) on bike & two vials (see below)on the run. I split them 50/50 so if I drop one, I'm not SOL.

though mine are actually from the source; my dad did consulting work for the company that makes them - capitol vial.

- First Endurance PreRace before the race. And I also had 4 x Gu Roctane Gels on the bike, though not for the caffeine. Just because I think they are the 2nd best gel after EFS liquid shot, but they are available in single serve packets. I don't mind the caffeine in them though. I also load up two empty salt stick caps with prerace for a mid-race boost on the bike if I need it or want it. But since I discovered PreRace, I find that I don't need caffeine during the race nearly as much. That stuff lasts a LONG time. At least 4-5hrs.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
First, thank you for being so accessible. It's a rare treat.

I raced this last weekend and found the heat intolerable. Have tried many remedies over the years, covering up completely , long sleeves, long socks, foreign legion hat, you name it. With sunscreens as well.

So was curious.

You did not seem to be overly covered yet you don't appear sunburned, at least you did not appear that way as you ran north and I hobbled south. By the time I get to the run, no matter how carefully I have covered and avoided the sun I'm usually toast. And as just about everyone has come to realise the race really does start on the run.

What works for you.

regards

Bullfrog sunscreen. THE BEST sunscreen in existence for sports. I put it on in the morning, and it lasts all day. It's pretty amazing. It also helps that I'm out there for less time than a lot of other folks. But I'd say bullfrog is my "ace in the hole."

I think there's also a LOT of luck. I certainly do burn. But, generally, I've been lucky in not getting burned during races. But if you really get burned badly, bullfrog is the stuff. Really, it's always the stuff. But I'd wager if you put it on before the run, you'd be golden. One application works all day for me. But in addition to being good sunscreen, I also think I'm lucky to not have overly sensitive skin.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:
How would you compare the weather conditions this year to when you won in 2009? I raced in '09 and a friend and training partner raced this year. He said the heat was brutal this year, I remember 30+ t's and lots of haze/smoke in '09.

Swim was rougher. I'd say 2min slower. "Fast" years, the top swimmers are 46. Avg years, they are 48. This year, they were 50. NO ONE swam under 50, which is rare.

Bike course seemed *similar,* though I rode it much stronger and went slower on what I am very confident is a faster bike and wheels and my position and helmet and tires were the same, so I'd wager the bike course was indeed slower. And the run was pretty similar, but the wind seemed stronger.

So I'd guess 2min slower swim, 4-6min slower bike, 1-2min slower run. So 7min slower than '09 on the short end and 10min on the long estimates.

BUT, I also didn't get hit with much smoke in '09, as it rolled in later, so that'd make a big difference. It was hotter this year than '09 for sure. More overcast in '09 (though some was smoke). And I don't remember it being quite so hot. I think it hit 30. This year, I think it hit 33 or so...

But honestly, aside from the swim where it's so obvious, it's hard to say. It's not the same powermeter, so though I'm 95% sure I rode stronger, it's theoretically possible I did not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pacificfit wrote:
tigerchik wrote:

Gotcha. If so, Jordan, have you eliminated gluten crossreactivity components (caffeine is the big one)?

No. Because I use caffeine at all my races, and never have problems. I am 95% sure it was too much fiber on Saturday.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [mrwoodhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrwoodhouse wrote:
Jordan, from a holistic perspective, you get my vote for best triathlete ever. I'm really enjoying all the info. My question is on your cadence. You say you had an expected cadence of 82-83. How did you find this was optimal for you? Just feels right or through testing? If the latter, can you tell me how you would do that? Finally, would your targeted cadence change for a different IM course?
Thanks

It "feels" right. And I think it's also within the range of "normal." Like, for example, let's say 65 "felt right." I'd be concerned because 65 is quite atypical. But MOST of the top Ironman pros ride about 85+/-5 beats. And they also tend to slow their cadence as they get tired. So it feels good AND it's not an outlier. That combination is what gives me confidence. I'm not "weird" with regards to cadence. I'm very normal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you use salt tables and how are you feeling today? Any of the injuries sustained during the accident come back to bother you after the race ?

Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
Did you use salt tables and how are you feeling today? Any of the injuries sustained during the accident come back to bother you after the race ?

I did. I took two before the swim. I had 3 in the big bottle that I started with. And then I took 6 on the bike (@ 2hr, 3hr, 4hr in). On the run, I took one approximately every mile, which is typical.

Today, I'm feeling pretty good. I actually felt reasonably "normal" by the end of the day on Wednesday, which was nice. Every Ironman I do, I recover faster, as you might expect. More mileage = faster recovery.

None of the injuries have come back. Some of the same problems that the accident exacerbated tend to be exacerbated by racing as well, but I think that's normal. I.e., whatever my "weakest link" is will be exacerbated by stress, whether big, sudden stress or the stress of racing. Like, as an example, I my IT band on my right side bothers me when I get overtired. And it bothered me a LOT after the accident. And it bothers me ever so slightly after a really hard race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
mrwoodhouse wrote:
Thanks

It "feels" right. And I think it's also within the range of "normal." Like, for example, let's say 65 "felt right." I'd be concerned because 65 is quite atypical. But MOST of the top Ironman pros ride about 85+/-5 beats. And they also tend to slow their cadence as they get tired. So it feels good AND it's not an outlier. That combination is what gives me confidence. I'm not "weird" with regards to cadence. I'm very normal.

As an aside, what's your typical average cadence for something like a 20K TT? :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next