Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win Jordan.

(man, how many times have we said that now???)

Not implying anything untoward, but were you drug tested? Was the presence of testers/testing any better or worse than other years, or same old same old?

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you think at all about being a new father at any point in the race and if so did that give you an additional mental boost, or was it just business as usual and focus exclusively on the task at hand?

As a point of reference, I'm sure very few of us age groupers think a lot of our families at work, but I think many do think of them at racing, mainly because training and racing takes away from family, while work is there to provide for them.

In your case, racing and training are work.

Just interested if this ever came into play in your mind on race day.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

This is why I avoid training questions - in order to answer them specifically enough to be relevant, I have to provide more details than I think is appropriate. And if I don't provide that detail, it's largely irrelevant.

That is a good answer. I know that it's vague and it's not what the poster was specifically looking for. With all due respect, to the poster of the question, once you have been in the sport and training for a number of years, you can't put this stuff in a silo or multiple silos - everything you do affects everything else. It's all part of the same thing. People want specifics and silver bullets, but it does not work that way!

Say you said your longest ride was 100 miles - what does that mean exactly? That having one longer ride of 100 miles is optimal?

I was basing my question on recent threads of IM prep. I was more curious whether he covers the distance (180km) in 'mileage' or 'time' in the saddle so to speak, I should have been more clear.

I was basing my question on recent threads of IM prep. I was more curious whether he covers the distance (180km) in 'mileage' or 'time' in the saddle so to speak, I should have been more clear.

It's good to be clear or clearer. I have my own ideas on this, but this is Jordan's thread so I will let him answer the question.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I'm sure very few of us age groupers think a lot of our families at work, but I think many do think of them at racing, mainly because training and racing takes away from family, while work is there to provide for them.

Dev

Not to hijack, but Dev makes a great point here...well said.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like a well executed race. I'm curious though, is there any part of your plan that didn't got well? In other words, what will you do differently next time?

And congrats, great performace and I loved reading your speech.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race Jordan!

At what point in the race did you let yourself say 'I've won'?
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [cannastar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cannastar wrote:
Well done Jordan on the race. I think you said you were wearing a Zoot prototype suit. What is the timeline of production that? How does it compare to the ZeroD and Kiwami suits?

What do the last 30mins before the gun goes off look like for you? Do you like to have time alone to gather your thoughts or do a Macca and have an entourage of support?

No idea on the timeline. I would guess fall 2012 at the earliest. But I really don't know.

For me, those last 30min are pretty quiet. Finish up with bike. Last trip to the washroom if I need it (I did). Take my PreRace. Put on the wetsuit and get a good solid warm-up in (15min+). I'm glad I can be pretty relaxed in the morning of the race. They shot some photos and videos, but basically, I just get to do my routine, which is awesome.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fastyellow wrote:
I know you just got your Shiv, but is there any desire from Specialized or yourself for you to be on a 2012 bike?

I was also wondering this when I saw Rasmus riding an "older" model at his last race.

Does Specialized care as much in Tri as say having the HTC team on 2012 bikes? There has to be a marketing benefit to them to have their best athletes on the latest equipment regardless if the older model is "better" or "faster"

There would be, I think, next year. I.e., the nosecone Shiv is current NOW. But I would think they might ask us to ride the no nosecone bike next year. I am not sure. Of course, given that the nosecone is faster, there might be some OTHER 2012 bikes that you haven't seen. Yet... And that is ALL I will say...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got nothing to ask you, just want to thank you for being an extraordinary role-model for everyone in Triathlon.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Fastyellow wrote:
I know you just got your Shiv, but is there any desire from Specialized or yourself for you to be on a 2012 bike?

I was also wondering this when I saw Rasmus riding an "older" model at his last race.

Does Specialized care as much in Tri as say having the HTC team on 2012 bikes? There has to be a marketing benefit to them to have their best athletes on the latest equipment regardless if the older model is "better" or "faster"

There would be, I think, next year. I.e., the nosecone Shiv is current NOW. But I would think they might ask us to ride the no nosecone bike next year. I am not sure. Of course, given that the nosecone is faster, there might be some OTHER 2012 bikes that you haven't seen. Yet... And that is ALL I will say...

Ah shit....I gotta buy ANOTHER bike in the next 6 months.....ugh.....lol

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
I've got nothing to ask you, just want to thank you for being an extraordinary role-model for everyone in Triathlon.

x2
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pete wrote:
Congrats on the win Jordan.

(man, how many times have we said that now???)

Not implying anything untoward, but were you drug tested? Was the presence of testers/testing any better or worse than other years, or same old same old?

2010 year was the first year of testing at IMC. IMAZ in 2009 was the first non-Kona Ironman where there was ANY testing at all mandated by WTC; I believe IM Germany has had it, but the race itself chooses to do so, not WTC. I was tested (urine only), as was Torsten and Bert. I am not sure what women were tested, but I would assume podium finishers as well.

I was a bit surprised that it was urine only. WTC has shifted to blood-and-urine at all tests. Though my last test was urine only as the phlebotomist got called to the hospital when CCES had scheduled to come test me. And I guess they could not find a replacement on short notice. I do not know why it was just urine at the race.

Please don't feel bad about implying anything untoward. I accept that it's a reality of being a professional athlete. My mother said to me, "does anyone think you are on drugs?" My reply was that I am sure there is SOMEONE who does. She was horrified (she's my mom). But I said, "I had a terrible accident, and now I'm back racing at a high level. As much as people find some stories like that inspiring, the public has been burned too many times by 'amazing' comebacks. Look at Lance and the controversy there. I am sure there is someone who believes that drugs were a part of how I was able to come back. And you know what? I totally understand that position." My mom said, "No one who knows you could think that..." To which I replied, "Do you think Marion Jones, Lance, Floyd, Tyler, etc, etc didn't have any friends that were SURE they were clean?"

Unfortunately, there is no way to prove a negative. I have never knowingly taken a banned substance. And I do my absolute best to make sure that I never unknowingly take one by buying something that could be contaminated. But I also realize that it's totally naive for me to ask people to be 100% sure I am not lying because, simply put, athletes have an awful track record. The system is what it is. It is imperfect, and I suspect it always will be. I think that's sad, but it's reality.

I race clean, and I do my best to take advantage of the means that are available to me to prove that. But, unfortunately, I know that isn't particularly powerful given what we know about how easily athletes seem to cheat the system, and while I lament that, I guess I just have to be resigned to accept it. Thankfully, I believe triathlon is a pretty clean sport. I don't know if could be a cyclist, where, even if you are clean, everyone looks at you like you are a doper.

I'm sure that was more than you were asking for, but hopefully it's still useful/informative.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win.
I was wondering about your nutrition/hydration during the race.
How many calories did you consume? What did you eat?
Maybe you can't answer these questions or maybe you have already answered them.
What did you eat before the race?
I am really curious about what you drink during the race, specifically during the bike. Water or a mix of something?
Specifically during the bike.
Thanks

- tri_kid
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Did you think at all about being a new father at any point in the race and if so did that give you an additional mental boost, or was it just business as usual and focus exclusively on the task at hand?

As a point of reference, I'm sure very few of us age groupers think a lot of our families at work, but I think many do think of them at racing, mainly because training and racing takes away from family, while work is there to provide for them.

In your case, racing and training are work.

Just interested if this ever came into play in your mind on race day.

Dev

It's present a lot in training. On the days when you are really tired, it's one of the primary things that keeps me going. In racing, I try not to let my mind wander that far off the race. When I race, I like to stay focused on the race, because that is how I think I race the best. I think it's more of an "omnipresent" theme on race day. In other words, I'm out here working because I have a family that depends on me. So it's sort of a layer over everything. Like they are always at the back of my mind, and I try to keep it that way, so that the front of my mind can be focused 100% on execution.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenHS wrote:
It sounds like a well executed race. I'm curious though, is there any part of your plan that didn't got well? In other words, what will you do differently next time?

And congrats, great performace and I loved reading your speech.

I dropped my chain on Yellow Lake, because my legs were quite tired. Normally, I climb Yellow Lake in the big ring the whole way (or at least until the very last upkick). But not that day.

I also didn't plan on gastric distress, and I'd certainly like to eliminate (pun intended) that part of my race!

Other than that, I'd say it was the race I planned to have, which actually makes me happier than anything. An overwhelmingly extraordinary performance would have been equally troubling, because I'd wonder how I misjudged my training so much.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakercr wrote:
Congrats on a great race Jordan!

At what point in the race did you let yourself say 'I've won'?

I first allowed myself to consider it when I saw my lead at the turnaround on the run. But I didn't actually "know" it until I hit the last ~5km (when it starts to go downhill towards the lake on Main St.). ANYTHING can happen in an Ironman...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks....I would think that this is how most age groupers operate in their jobs when in a high pressure situation....you're 100% front of mind focused on the task at hand, and performing and getting the job done with quality, ahead of competition, with precision and with attention to detail....I guess no different than a pro triathlon in a race situation. Great of you to share that insight.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [uncle_evan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uncle_evan wrote:
Fleck wrote:

This is why I avoid training questions - in order to answer them specifically enough to be relevant, I have to provide more details than I think is appropriate. And if I don't provide that detail, it's largely irrelevant.

That is a good answer. I know that it's vague and it's not what the poster was specifically looking for. With all due respect, to the poster of the question, once you have been in the sport and training for a number of years, you can't put this stuff in a silo or multiple silos - everything you do affects everything else. It's all part of the same thing. People want specifics and silver bullets, but it does not work that way!

Say you said your longest ride was 100 miles - what does that mean exactly? That having one longer ride of 100 miles is optimal?

That's easy to answer. I train swim by distance. I.e., I have a 5km swim to do. I train bike and run by time. I.e., I have a five hour ride to do; I do have some workouts where there are distance specific components of the ride - like, do a 20km TT during a 3hr ride. But I do not do rides or runs where the total duration of the workout is distance prescribed. I.e., I never have a workout that is, for example, "run 15mies."

I don't believe there is anything wrong with that. That's just not how my coach believes in training. Or, at least, that is not how he *currently* believes in training *me.*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

For the record, I didn't think for a moment that you are/were on anything and like you say, I like to think triathlon is a pretty clean sport.

I just think we (triathletes, and triathlon as a sport) lack some credibility in the big scheme of things when the drug testing effort appears so halfhearted, however I understand some of the reasons why it is that way...complacency being one of them (see my 2nd sentence).

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
Congrats on the win.
I was wondering about your nutrition/hydration during the race.
How many calories did you consume? What did you eat?
Maybe you can't answer these questions or maybe you have already answered them.
What did you eat before the race?
I am really curious about what you drink during the race, specifically during the bike. Water or a mix of something?
Specifically during the bike.
Thanks

- tri_kid

Here's what I wrote regarding calories earlier:

Monsieur Trois wrote:
Congratulations Mr. Rapp.

How many calories per hour on the bike and run? Thanks.

400ish on the bike (I'm sure I spilled some). I shoot for 450, knowing that spillage and inexactness - did I drink 100.0% of that bottle? - make 400 more likely. So I'd say, "at least 400, and maybe as much as 450" on the bike.

On the run, one coke and one cup of perform at every aid station. Sometimes a bit more. Most of an 8oz redbull at the turnaround. Brian Shea usually does the calcs for me on that. But I think it's like 300+. When it's hot, I can't do as much. I've been as high as 400 on the run, but not in this heat.

In terms of what I ate - you can find most of the details here: http://www.firstendurance.com/...nman-nutrition-plan/

That has my complete breakfast.

And here are my complete nutrition profiles from past Ironmans. I think Brian Shea is doing one for this race, which he will post here. BrianPBN is his handle.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20nutrition;#2129975
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20nutrition;#2320362
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20nutrition;#2602856
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20nutrition;#3091368

Basically, I consume EFS liquid shot gel and EFS drink. I supplement with the on course electrolyte drink. If special needs is easy to get to (it is at this race; it is not at IMAZ), then I have another bottle of EFS drink in there. Otherwise, I just make do with whatever they serve on course. I use Saltstick caps to make sure my electrolyte intake is consistent from race to race. I never take any solid food during the race. And I rarely drink any water. I might have a bit to clean out my mouth a bit, but never very much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Khai wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
@hogstuff - because I don't care about "racing" in Kona. I care about winning in Kona. Or at least being in contention for the win, and trying to do that 6 weeks after an Ironman is, in my mind, foolish.

If you were as BAMF as Mary Beth Ellis you could do it. You should work on that...

That's true. It would also, it seems based off empirical data, that it would help if i had something else MB has - a 2nd X chromosome instead of a Y. MB is exceptionally BAMF, but I can't think of any men who have even come close to backing up multiple Ironmans on short rest. But I can think of several women. Ironically, in 2009, I swam on Tereza's feet; this year, I swam on MB's for the 2nd half of the swim. Tereza won IMLP the month before. MB won Regensburg. Women are just built "better" (it seems) for doing long stuff repeatedly.

I was thinking about that... Her coach has a very good track record with women winning multiple IM in fairly short order. I guess women's physiology is just better at recovery - much like how they say it's superior for ultra-ultra-long distance racing. I wasn't going to suggest that you "work at that" aspect because you'd make for one FUGLY-ass chick, and I think Jill would probably get pissed if you tried/succeeded.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan - thanks again for doing this. One day we will have a phone wired to you for live telemetry during the race so you can share your power numbers in real time. I also put up the first post seeing if you were open to this.

My question: What was your mental outlook/perspective on this race vs. your two other Ironman wins given your accident? I would be curious about three dimensions - leading up to, during and after the race.

I too went through a serious health problem and am always curious about others approach to racing and life. Since this is only about the race, I would just want you to comment on that.

My mother said to me, "does anyone think you are on drugs?" My reply was that I am sure there is SOMEONE who does. She was horrified (she's my mom). But I said, "I had a terrible accident, and now I'm back racing at a high level. As much as people find some stories like that inspiring, the public has been burned too many times by 'amazing' comebacks. Look at Lance and the controversy there. I am sure there is someone who believes that drugs were a part of how I was able to come back.

Hmm, well... how many testicles do you have?

;-)

Congrats on another great win and the new baby.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great Jordan, thanks. How did you arrive at your optimal nutrition plan for these races? Trial and error or some kind of professional assessment.?

I sweat a ton, and never took salt tablets till recently. Wow. However, I have no idea how many to take, I thought one per hour, but seeing what you do.....

I guess the $64K question, how do you figure out what would be the more or less optimum nutrition plan for an athlete in an IM?

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply

Prev Next