Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21
Quote | Reply
Based on the current Hawaiian government policies and international border restrictions in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i originally scheduled for October 10, 2020 will be postponed to February 6, 2021.

The decision was made after careful consideration with our local partners and authorities to assess the feasibility of hosting the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship this October in accordance with the recommendations on mass gatherings, border and travel restrictions, athlete qualification opportunities and other issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic beyond our control. Based on the information we have to date coupled with our mission to host a truly competitive world championship and establish a timeline that gives our athletes and the community as much preparation time as possible, the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship cannot proceed as originally planned.

We thank our athletes for their commitment and look forward to delivering the exceptional IRONMAN World Championship race experience they have earned.
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: May 14, 20 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, just received the email. Options to race in February, or defer to October 2021 race. Will probably race in October, but I am wondering how they will fill up february race. Or how they will manage slots in 2021 if lots of people switch to October.
I would say this is a fair (!) decision. But an organizational nightmare.
Last edited by: soll: May 14, 20 14:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too will almost certainly opt for the 9 October 2021 date and I expect that many others will as well. I just don't relish the idea of long and hard training through the winter (I expect no sympathy from Southern Hemisphere triathletes) and end of the year holidays would complicate the training schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [soll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
soll wrote:
Yeah, just received the email. Options to race in February, or defer to October 2021 race. Will probably race in October, but I am wondering how they will fill up february race. Or how they will manage slots in 2021 if lots of people switch to October.
I would say this is a fair (!) decision. But an organizational nightmare.

THIS! What if all 1000ish already KQ for 2020 defer to October 2021...There is NO way 3500+ athletes can fit on the pier!
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you live in Arizona, the weather will be perfect for the training! We plan on going in February. Now I will look at a fall race to see if I can qualify for the October race.
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DesertTriGuy wrote:
Unless you live in Arizona, the weather will be perfect for the training! We plan on going in February. Now I will look at a fall race to see if I can qualify for the October race.

That would be epic to race both! You'd be apart of a pretty sweet group!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the postponed Fall races like St George will KQ for February now?
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure what difference four months will make, but let’s hope for the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
I wonder if the postponed Fall races like St George will KQ for February now?

Yes...here is the breakdown: https://www.ironman.com/...hampionship-register
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer... I let my slot roll because I had a wedding the same weekend. I’m not crazy about the IM distance but I would like to experience kona once.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how they would conduct the slot allocation if one is already registered for the 2020 edition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird. Portugal is not listed and (according to ironman website) being held September 19.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I’m not sure what difference four months will make, but let’s hope for the best.

Agree. If I were qualified (will never happen....) I'd defer to October, knowing that the chances of the race happening in Feb is far from a sure thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at the St George site is says
75 spots for 2020 kona (feb)

AND

26 spots for 2021 Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
October 2021 for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to deffer to Oct. I believe there are 650 about athletes already qualified for the race.

So if they do the February race and split that number it would only be 300 for Oct which wouldn't be to bad. But what if February doesn't happen then it gets a bit tough to qualify for Oct for others.

They will fill up February either way if there is no race season in 2020 they can sell the spots for 10 x reg price and sell it out.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
I am going to deffer to Oct. I believe there are 650 about athletes already qualified for the race.

So if they do the February race and split that number it would only be 300 for Oct which wouldn't be to bad. But what if February doesn't happen then it gets a bit tough to qualify for Oct for others.

They will fill up February either way if there is no race season in 2020 they can sell the spots for 10 x reg price and sell it out.

Ironman will roll the dice and hope things go their way.I expect them to offer extra Kona Feb 2021 slots to all three of the yet to be run Ironman's in Oz later in the year and then hope like hell that the races can be run and if so pray that in Feb Aussies and Kiwis are allowed to fly to Hawaii. Same will go for all the other late season Ironman's around the world which would usually be qualifiers for the following year.Then of course there are the legacy folks on top of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize everything at this point is speculation, but it seems highly unlikely that February would be a less virus prone time than October. Sure we don’t know if the summer has any effect on it or not, but even if it doesn’t, the difference between Oct and Feb is probably moot.

I personally am pro-race for a variety of science based and philosophical reasons, but unless IM is spending next to nothing to hold (potential) races, it seems they would be better off cancelling at least some races entirely. The logistics of holding a year’s worth of races in a 4 month window alone are probably unrealistic. I will still race in Sept if my race occurs and I commend IM for doing their best, but if races currently postponed end up getting re-postponed or cancelled I think they’d be better of cancelling most of them altogether.
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Admittedly small sample and early days but I’m not hearing of anyone who will be holding out for Feb now that Oct 21 is on offer. October offers a much lower risk and a 100% full stacked AG/Pro field Kona experience.

Feb would be different, memorable as a celebration of getting to the other side of this plus possibly a throwback ‘smaller field’ experience but that hasn’t swayed anyone that I’ve heard.

I see most of the current 2020 starters going October. Any races that do happen the slots will go (once in a lifetime chance for many ) but I wonder if February is viable, even if the Covid etc issues are sorted in good time.

My wild outside bet is that Feb is a stalking horse for getting a much larger event in October 21 maybe 2 seperate days with a day between them as a ‘one off’.
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When they moved IMStG, they said there would be 75 2021 slots. Now there are 26? That’s a huge swing—basically the difference between winning and finishing 8th in certain AGs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When is the usual cutoff for races that qualify for the current year’s Kona vs the next year?
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well for all your questions, there might be a couple on this site:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Postponed_7673.html
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
I too will almost certainly opt for the 9 October 2021 date and I expect that many others will as well. I just don't relish the idea of long and hard training through the winter (I expect no sympathy from Southern Hemisphere triathletes) and end of the year holidays would complicate the training schedule.

That’s very unmanly

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great! That should be just when seasonal Covid 19 is hitting its peak.
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
JasonGeorge wrote:

That’s very unmanly

Zero sympathy from us Southern Hemisphere athletes, although many places don't get the snow etc that many in USA and Canada have to deal with.
Question for the masses: how will the weather be in Kona at this time of the year? I have had many trips to other Pacific Islands and there are reasonable differences in humidity and rain during the various seasons.
Quote Reply

Prev Next