Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Off season plans
Quote | Reply
I've read many posts on this site to the effect that training for marathons, road bike races and other non-triathlon events that use tri skills doesn't really work well for improving tri times.

I'm curious what others think of that as I'm currently planning on doing a marathon in January 04 and a 135 mile major elevation gain single day bike race in July 04 and still want to do Wildflower and at least one other Oly or Sprint race next summer. I'm thinking that overloading the running for a few months and overloading the cycling for a few months might be a nice mental break from trying to balance all three and maybe will give me a chance to break through some barriers in those sports.

Like many of you, I am in that subclass of triathletes who will win an award the day they have a division for "parents with demanding day jobs," and have to fight for each and every minute of workout time that I get. I just find myself wondering sometimes if I took all ten of those hours in a week and spent them on the bike or on the run whether it might make a difference that get me over the plateaus that I'm hitting in my tris.
Quote Reply
Re: Off season plans [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am already in the off-season. When I hurt my tailbone in June, I had no idea it would take me until now to get back to running ten minutes without discomfort and/or pain.

I hope to improve my running this winter and get back to being faster on the bike (by having a good base). I am also working on my Bunnyman Institute equipment, namely things out of carbon. I will probably only make it in the warmer months, and my time to do things is getting limited (as it is going to be too cold to cure carbon before I know it!).

The mental break is needed. You should be able to do the things that you wish to do next season and be able to keep doing tris. These things could help you a lot in the long run.
Quote Reply
Re: Off season plans [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plan a mid Dec marathon, nice relaxing recovery over the holidays, and wait for the fires to get lit for the 04 season about mid-January. 04 season may be very different from past years. Given life station, $$ commitments, increased registration fees for races I may be doing my own "invitational" races. Yesterday, I received an e-mail about the special opportunity to sign-up for an 04 1/2IM during an upcoming race weekend for the special price of $145. Last year I did this race for $85. I suppose regular early reg will be in the $155-160 range. I understand the supply-demand dynamics and it being the American way but the Rubicon has been crossed. No war/rant here, but race plans are up for a paradigm shift.
Last edited by: Chappy: Sep 17, 03 6:05
Quote Reply