Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens?
Quote | Reply
Not sure this trend is going to slow down. Peanut gallery thoughts?

Not really interested in training and taking on all the family/work sacrifice without being able to race. I rather just default to base training and wait till next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
Not sure this trend is going to slow down. Peanut gallery thoughts?

Not really interested in training and taking on all the family/work sacrifice without being able to race. I rather just default to base training and wait till next year.

With 'the rona' increasing in cases and hospitalizations my guess is no. I kept my IMSR entry in for this year, as I have no desire to do any of the other alternate races. I'm definitely not training for it. I'm just hoping for better options down the line if it gets cancelled.
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [Olu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I was about to start ramping up but now I think its back to basics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally feel that the odds of Santa Rosa happening are close to zero which is why I opted to defer my entry to May 2021. I had originally transferred my Oceanside entry to Santa Cruz in September but it's becoming pretty clear that there will not be any mass participation events in California this year so I expect that to be postponed/deferred to 2021.

It would be nice, from a public health perspective, if I am totally wrong but pools and gyms are not expected to open in the Bay Area until mid-August and California (especially NorCal) has been very conservative, which I appreciate.
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also think the odds of the Santa Rosa events happening are slim to none. I deferred my full entry to Coeur d'Alene 2021 and kept the 70.3 for the rescheduled October date. This decision was made assuming that October won't happen, and there will be another new date - it also helped my thought process in that SR would be the last NorCal race of the year, because there's no way I want to travel down to SoCal (for La Quinta/Indian Wells) with the increase in case load they're seeing.

I truly appreciate how proactive and conservative the Bay Area has been since the start. I have a lane booked at a local pool for tomorrow, so some pools are opening, but I think it varies by municipality. Only reason I booked a lane was to get a nice final stretch out before kicking off an 'off season' (week+ off).

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [Olu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slim to none.
I’m in the Bay Area and while my county has been super conservative with reopening, cases are rapidly increasing.
I can’t see either SR or SC at this point, at all. Sorry to say. Hope for some local races in 2021. (Santa Cruz Tri in sept has already cancelled so I can’t see SC 70.3 happening a few weeks earlier).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in Santa Rosa / Sonoma County
* SC has been very conservative (strict initially) from the start w/ SIP, masks etc etc.
* Pools have been open for 2-3 weeks, gyms opened this week ... all with limits and restrictions.
* We are at 2% infection rate since testing started ... we had a very small percentage increase from Memorial Day & Protest activity but I would not call it significant ... we have a total of 5 deaths

I do know the city / county would like the event(s) to happen if things are safe. Also, entrant levels, if the race goes off, will be low (maybe VERY low) making it safer than otherwise.

I'm not going to predict whats going to happen but here in SoCo things are trending more positively than in many other places

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dave, reassuring to hear it from you, but I can't help but be a pessimist with how quickly things are changing (and how easily some folks are really screwing things up in the name of political statements). Hope to see you at the finish line in October, since Monte Rio was also canceled!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Silicon Valley. Can't see IMSR happening (sucks, it was my target race); ditto with 70.3 SC. Even if they do somehow occur, can't see participating.

While infections are lower in some counties, the races attract folks from all over including places like LA where cases are spiking.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:

Not really interested in training without being able to race. I rather just default to base training and wait till next year.

I don't understand this sentiment... why not train?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still stay in shape but I won’t ramp up to IM shape. Riding 100+ for example on Sunday, I will just go 60 instead and spend more time with my family. When it’s full on IM training distances get a lot longer. I run 10 today instead of building up to 15 -18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-800; whose taking?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jun 27, 20 7:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may or may not happen, but given how shitty their communication has been so far we probably won't know either way until about 7 hours beforehand.
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
It may or may not happen, but given how shitty their communication has been so far we probably won't know either way until about 7 hours beforehand.

I agree. "We will continue to take the appropriate actions on a an event-by-event basis, following the decisions made by these respective authorities and agencies", this tells me they are doing everything in the power to blame California and hold our money and summer ransom. Everything in California is getting cancelled, how are they going to host an event that brings at least 1,000 out of town visitors and deem that safe for everyone? Ironman should understand how hard it is to train for their events during normal life. Where I live the swimming pools just opened, but not like they used to, you need to reverse times and compete against the whole city to get a time and hopefully it works with your schedule. The closest lake that is opened is more than 3 hours away, but Ironman only cares about bottom line, instead of the people who live their life through them as a hobby. They will wait until the hotel, flight and entry fee in nonrefundable before they cancel. When they know months in advanced they will cancel.
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [runfasterplz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep that sentiment in mind when things quiet down. I am probably going to stay away from the WTC events until they issue a formal mea culpa.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Keep that sentiment in mind when things quiet down. I am probably going to stay away from the WTC events until they issue a formal mea culpa.

Oh, I definitely plan to vote with my wallet.
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RIP Santa Cruz; at least they gave us 2 months notice (probably thanks to the city).

With the health and safety of our community being an utmost priority, and based on the mandate from the City of Santa Cruz in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Santa Cruz triathlon, originally scheduled for September 13 cannot take place in 2020. We are working diligently on all potential options and further event updates will be communicated as soon as possible.

In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this may come as a disappointment but appreciate your patience while we work to confirm additional details.

We also realize that this change may impact your travel arrangements, therefore registered athletes are advised to contact their travel providers immediately to inform them of your situation.

If you have additional questions, please contact santacruz70.3@ironman.com

While we are prevented from holding the event in 2020, we look forward to providing you with an exceptional race experience in the future.

The IRONMAN 70.3 Santa Cruz Team
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waiting for Oceanside to cancel. Likely will be coming with 4-5 days to go before the event.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it really sell out or did they cap the number of entrance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both 2020 and 2021 are cancelled. No more 70.3 either.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep this race is done. Issues with the wildfires as well factored in their decision.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are no wildfires in May... have a feeling that Santa Rosa did not want WTC to come back at all. Oh well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That too. I got the impression the new location downtown wasn’t as beneficial as they may have hoped.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Odds IM Santa Rosa etc happens? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No California races had a chance this year. Gov. Newsom stated he wasn't going to move CA to the phase of re-opening that would allow large gatherings until there was a vaccine.

Quote:
“The prospect of mass gatherings is negligible at best until we get to herd immunity and we get to a vaccine,” Newsom said. “So large-scale events that bring in hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of strangers altogether across every conceivable difference, health and otherwise, is not in the cards based upon our current guidelines and current expectations.”

He was referring to the summer months in particular but it's not like anything has really changed for the fall.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply