Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oceanside Race Report (1st:30-34)
Quote | Reply
Background info: 32 years old. Got into the sport in 2015. Raced a handful of oly's & sprint's, fourth 70.3. Self coached and first year on Team Every Man Jack. I train about 12-15 hours a week (mostly solo) out of Livermore Ca. I have never raced Oceanside before but have heard great things about this race so I was excited. Love races that just have one transition as well. I was also looking forward to a full 70.3 (the last 2 70.3's I raced the swim was cancelled). The weather was perfect race morning.

Swim: While some people are against them, I love the rolling start. I seeded myself in the 25-30 minute slot. The only thing that had me a little nervous was the ocean start. The first probably 200-600 yards we had to swim through 2-4ft waves. It was pretty intimidating watching these waves right before the start. I don't spend too much time in the ocean and do all of my swim training in a pool. Once I got through the waves I was able to relax and find my rhythm. Unfortunately I swam solo the entire race. I ended up with a time of 29:03.

Bike: My race typically starts when I get on the bike. I was excited to see what I could do in this race since I added a lot more structure into my bike training over the last few months. I was also racing a brand new bike (Felt IA1 disc). This was also my first time racing with a power meter. I thought I could hold about 280 and was pleasantly surprised when I finished and saw an average of 309W (I weigh 183). I was able to pass a lot of people and rode strong but not over my head. Few hills but nothing super long or intimidating. Most of the bike course was in camp Pendleton so no one is able to pre ride before. It did rain the night before so a few corners were very slick. Sam Appleton unfortunately went down on a corner and broke his clavicle. I ended up finishing with a time of 2:21.

Run: A two loop course with a few hills but nothing major. I've only done a few 70.3's before but this was definitely my favorite run course. The spectators and volunteers were amazing!! So many people along the entire course cheering. Lot's of EMJ love as well. My last race was Santa Rosa and this course just flowed so much better. I felt fairly good from the start and forced myself to not go out too hard. The last 3 miles of my last half were extremely tough. I switched between water and gator aid at almost every aid station. No food or gels during the run this time. Some red bull towards the end. I ended up with a run time of 1:20.30. My overall time was 4:17. I ended up getting 1st in 30-34 and was 3rd fastest amateur. Thanks for reading. Any questions feel free to ask.

Team Every Man Jack.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report (1st:30-34) [BrianMancini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No questions, just a stellar performance on a legit course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent race my friend!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing to ask, just wanted to say congrats on the win!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job, sounds like you trained well and executed! That's a tough AG as well!

I'll let someone else comment on whether 300+w for 2:21 indicates anything to optimize for aerodynamics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianMancini wrote:
I was excited to see what I could do in this race since I added a lot more structure into my bike training over the last few months.

Congratulations, would you mind elaborating on the changes to your bike training?
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report (1st:30-34) [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
BrianMancini wrote:
I was excited to see what I could do in this race since I added a lot more structure into my bike training over the last few months.

Congratulations, would you mind elaborating on the changes to your bike training?

I started incorporating trainerroad workouts a few times a week.

Team Every Man Jack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 309 Watts Average for 90km!! Wow Man that is some high level bike riding AND to run a 1.20 after that! Damn! What's your FTP?
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report (1st:30-34) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Awesome job, sounds like you trained well and executed! That's a tough AG as well!

I'll let someone else comment on whether 300+w for 2:21 indicates anything to optimize for aerodynamics

That's what zero drafting looks like on a relatively slow course with hills and a mandatory under 25mph section on one of the downhills. I am using a new stages left side power meter. Hopefully it is calibrated correctly.

Team Every Man Jack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a good point that with Hills you push the watts up! Was 309 NP or Average? I really am impressed. I use a stages single sided too and weigh 175 and if I ride 240watts for a half I am happy and can run well and usually fairly high up off the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report (1st:30-34) [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great run for someone your size.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A very impressive time! It sounds like the RD finally got the swim start moved to the beach?
Damn, the run time is just superb - that's not an easy run course with those sharp ramps and what not. Especially for a 183 lbs dude!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very very good race!

You give people like me hope. I'd love to be close to where you're at within the next couple years (just ticked over 30 few weeks ago.) I've got the base, I just don't nearly have the speed. Just got TrainerRoad setup and I'm taking a year off to tackle it hard. Well done man!

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the performance! How were the stats? Did you get 90k and 21k on the bike and the run respectively? How many vertical meters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats! a couple of questions: what is you sport background and how much time do you spend on the indoor trainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is one super impressive race and a phenomenal run off the bike.
Not to be a downer (just seems like a massive area for future improvement), just to reiterate the other comment made-averaging over 300 watts for a 2:21 bike split does not quite add up. I am a tad heavier than you (not sure of your height) and average about 245W for 2:22 on a relatively flat course and since then I have optimised my aero significantly more. I should go even faster if I hold that wattage, but more than likely I will dial it back a bit to try and aim for the same time and have a better run. At that wattage you should be down to a 2:1X bike split easily, so it would suggest that you can optimise your aerodynamics a fair bit to be a lot faster at the same power output.
Just plugging in using my data in bestbikesplit, a 300W average gives me a 2:14 time at Oceanside....it looks like you could be leaving another 5-6 minutes out on course through not being as aero as you could be....maybe??
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report (1st:30-34) [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Datapoint: I rode a 2:38 at an average power of 209, NP was 219. I weigh around 151.

It would take a lot more power to get me to a 2:22.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report (1st:30-34) [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro_Sandbagger wrote:
Datapoint: I rode a 2:38 at an average power of 209, NP was 219. I weigh around 151.

Yup. About the 100 watt difference between you and the OP. ;)

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report (1st:30-34) [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Pro_Sandbagger wrote:

Additional data point, I rode 2:29 off 231 NP 222 avg and weigh 145 (PT hub). I rode 2:19 at Superfrog on 210 average (flat and fast). So for me Oceanside is >10 minutes slower and I am light.

Great race Brian, I was 3rd in our AG a whopping 8 minutes back. You seem to have a good balance between the three sports. What is your endurance background and how do you typically break up your 15 hours a week? Any run intervals/tempo?
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report (1st:30-34) [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntc wrote:
LAI wrote:
Pro_Sandbagger wrote:

Additional data point, I rode 2:29 off 231 NP 222 avg and weigh 145 (PT hub). I rode 2:19 at Superfrog on 210 average (flat and fast). So for me Oceanside is >10 minutes slower and I am light.

Great race Brian, I was 3rd in our AG a whopping 8 minutes back. You seem to have a good balance between the three sports. What is your endurance background and how do you typically break up your 15 hours a week? Any run intervals/tempo?

Additional datapoint: I rode a 2:33 off of 262 NP and 250 avg and weight 160. This was a tough bike. Felt like I could never get into a groove and that's what others there seem to say too.

And again, great race Brian. Would love to hear about your typical training as well...
Last edited by: Blizzard: Apr 9, 19 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also agree that your 309W seems high. I biked Muskoka which is also a hilly and tough bike course in 2:22 on 260W at 183cm/175lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running 1:20 off the bike at 183lbs?! Wowzers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 1:20 run is super fast! Do you know approx what your open half marathon would be?
And what is your run training structure like? I'm always trying to figure out how to get my 70.3 run time anywhere near my open time. I can run a 1:19 open half on a good day but only a 1:29 in a tri. I found that Trainerroad plans leave me so cooked that I've got nothing left for run intensity (My 1:19 half was during a TR plan though).

But great job on the race!
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report (1st:30-34) [natewalsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natewalsh wrote:
A 1:20 run is super fast! Do you know approx what your open half marathon would be?
And what is your run training structure like? I'm always trying to figure out how to get my 70.3 run time anywhere near my open time. I can run a 1:19 open half on a good day but only a 1:29 in a tri. I found that Trainerroad plans leave me so cooked that I've got nothing left for run intensity (My 1:19 half was during a TR plan though).

But great job on the race!

Thank you. I'm not sure what my open half would be. Haven't raced one in a couple years. I run about 35 miles a week. Mainly all on the treadmill. Short runs are as little as 5 miles and about as long as 11/12.

Team Every Man Jack.
Quote Reply

Prev Next