Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oceanside 70.3 Postponed
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad at least the county could be responsible as opposed to Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did it actually say it is canceled? i didnt see that anywhere on that release.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
did it actually say it is canceled? i didnt see that anywhere on that release.

Ironman flexed on the city and they removed the bullet point from the list.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's still scheduled for April 4th (just outside the current 3/31 window). They haven't called it off yet, but should say something before folks travel (I would hope).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I canceled my Airbnb and now they changed the announcement. Gonna have a hard time showing extenuating circumstances due to Coronavirus now that the release has changed.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
I canceled my Airbnb and now they changed the announcement. Gonna have a hard time showing extenuating circumstances due to Coronavirus now that the release has changed.

I have screenshots I can email you if it helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that would be great!
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right? Just fucking cancel the thing and be done with it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Attached screenshot from someone on FB
Last edited by: CP78: Mar 12, 20 21:48
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extraodinarily shit from Ironman, the RD & Ironman is living in cloud cuckoo land if she thinks this is going ahead. I'm coming 6000 miles for this, I've hotels & houses booked, friends flying in from DC & WA to support. Idiotic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I looked at the link yesterday night and it said Oceanside was postponed, just looked at it this morning, looks like it got updated and took out the Oceanside 70.3 out of the list. Events coming up, we need to know ASAP whats going to happen. This last minute stuff is going to be a pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not surprised at the RD's behavior. If you remember last year she decided that it'd be a good idea to move the swim start to the beach months after everyone had already signed up.

I expect that the WTC will hold the suspense until the last possible moment. I am 2 hours away, so worst case scenario I'll train for nothing, but if you consider those flying in - this is an extraordinarily selfish behavior.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [RSoquena725] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the other thread: (for what it's worth) My guess is they are trying to reschedule for a different date and want to announce everything together.. or they have a deal with the local businesses/people to wait till everyone's cancellation clauses expire before cancelling so we don't all ask for refunds on our hotels/condos/etc.) :-O

Dear Athlete,
Thank you for reaching out, we understand and appreciate your concerns regarding COVID-19.
We appreciate your patience while we are taking the appropriate measures to ensure everyone’s safety.
Please expect a comprehensive statement regarding IRONMAN 70.3 Oceanside by March 20th, at 5pm PST.
In the interim, we would like to take the opportunity in this communication to remind you of hygiene protection measures recommended by the World Health Organization:

• Washing your hands frequently - Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and dry them thoroughly

• Before eating or handling food
    • After using the toilet
    • After coughing, sneezing, blowing your nose or wiping children’s noses
    • After touching public surfaces
  • Maintain social distancing - Try to maintain a meter away (3 feet) from people who are unwell
  • Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
  • Practice respiratory hygiene

• Covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze
    • Disposing of used tissues immediately and appropriately in a bin

• If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early
  • Stay informed and follow guidance by your healthcare provider

For up-to-date information on Covid-19 refer to www.who.int and California Department of Health at: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx
Thank you,
Your IRONMAN 70.3 Oceanside Team

Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
......I expect that the WTC will hold the suspense until the last possible moment.

This is what I hope WTC, RDs, cities, etc realize with this virus. This is not like CDA a few years ago w/ the heat wave, or Tahoe w/ the morning snow that caused a possible last minute adjustment or full cancellation, respectively. Allowing athletes to fill into your city and then cancel the race the day before IN THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION, defeats the whole purpose of cancelling the race. Racers and Families have already converged onto your city. Cancel these races BEFORE athletes start arriving to your city.....or at least the majority of them (ie, day before check-in). I am registered for STG and expect that if it's going to be cancelled, they do it that Week sometime before Thursday. If they wait until the day before or day of and I'm there and lost my opportunity to cancel/defer some costs, i'm going to be extremely pissed.
Last edited by: atxtri1: Mar 13, 20 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [atxtri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seriously doubt they will wait until the week of an event to cancel, but they sure screwed the pooch on this one. Canceled-uncanceled-soon to be canceled again.

I was on hold with Airbnb for two hours (1 hour 52 mins to be exact) last night canceling my reservation for Oceanside. While I was on hold they took down the announcement that the race was canceled, but I went ahead anyway trying to get approval for full refund under their "extenuating circumstance" provision.

Imagine you are Airbnb and have to pay a ton of money to staff up to handle an unprecedented level of calls from people who want to cancel their reservations. That is adding insult to injury.
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Mar 13, 20 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I am not surprised at the RD's behavior. If you remember last year she decided that it'd be a good idea to move the swim start to the beach months after everyone had already signed up.

I expect that the WTC will hold the suspense until the last possible moment. I am 2 hours away, so worst case scenario I'll train for nothing, but if you consider those flying in - this is an extraordinarily selfish behavior.

That was 2 years ago. Last year's beach start was probably the nicest Oceanside swim I've ever done. Its a far better swim course than the out and back in the marine fuel filled harbor. Plus the sliver of beach at the start doesn't get that great of turbulent water...and if it does they can make the call the day before to go back to the old course like they did 2 years ago.

IM is doing the right thing by letting people know races might get cancelled or rescheduled (big duh) but seems to be holding off until they can make a comprehensive statement on how they will go forward with a 2020 race schedule. Shit, we may have a country-wide self quarantine for a couple weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they are going to fight hard to keep Oceanside alive. It is one of the most expensive 70.3s and always sells out. They will take a big hit financially if they cancel this race to give everyone a free entry next year. Postponing the race may be too difficult logistically when a military base is involved and O-side gets too busy come summer with beach goers.

I would take a leap to say the athletes at Oceanside are more affluent racers and are repeat customers who do multiple IM brand events. Basically the people IM wants to keep happy for their future income. They didn't think twice about canceling Superseal and it was likely less than 250 people would have been there.
Last edited by: Jimbotri: Mar 13, 20 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
I think they are going to fight hard to keep Oceanside alive. It is one of the most expensive 70.3s and always sells out. They will take a big hit financially if they cancel this race to give everyone a free entry next year. Postponing the race may be too difficult logistically when a military base is involved and O-side gets too busy come summer with beach goers.

I would take a leap to say the athletes at Oceanside are more affluent racers and are repeat customers who do multiple IM brand events. Basically the people IM wants to keep happy for their future income. They didn't think twice about canceling Superseal and it is likely less than 250 people would have been there.

Completely irresponsible to hold this race under these circumstances. Even worse to not make the announcement now.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Completely irresponsible to hold this race under these circumstances. Even worse to not make the announcement now.

So, just to be clear, you are saying it is worse not announcing the cancelation "now" than it would be to decide to just go ahead and have the race despite the consequences?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't think of anything more embarrassing or shameful to me ( I am an Ironman) if Ironman holds an event during this crisis with every other major sporting organization doing the right thing and postponing or cancelling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

So, just to be clear, you are saying it is worse not announcing the cancelation "now" than it would be to decide to just go ahead and have the race despite the consequences?

We all know it's not going forward. For them to think it still will is ludicrous and either shows extreme ignorance or solely financial concerns. There is no way this race goes forward. So to say "wait another week" just reflects indifference to their athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Greatzaa wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

We all know it's not going forward. For them to think it still will is ludicrous and either shows extreme ignorance or solely financial concerns. There is no way this race goes forward. So to say "wait another week" just reflects indifference to their athletes

I'm not surprised by Ironman the corporation doing this, but tbh I was expecting more from Gina, the RD.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Postponed [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
Greatzaa wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

I'm not surprised by Ironman the corporation doing this, but tbh I was expecting more from Gina, the RD.

Which is why I am wondering if this is her call (i don't know her but have done the race under her control a few times) or if the corporate powers are tying her hands? I would not be surprised at the latter
Quote Reply

Prev Next