Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oakley Flight Jacket
Quote | Reply
I really like these sunglasses for triathlon specific purposes and was wondering if anyone else does as well.

Pros
-Can be used for cycling and running
-Lighter than Jawbreakers, with no top frame
-Larger lense and field of vision
-Better in the drops
-Adjustable nosepiece for defogging

The Jawbreakers are amazing, but I love the idea of having a single pair of sunglasses for rides, bricks, races and runs. Not that you can’t run in Jawbreakers, but the new Flight Jackets have a lot of Tri-specific features that are practical. I’m not totally sold on the nose piece adjustment but it probably something you get used to using.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Flight Jacket [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They look a little too extreme for my taste. The jawbreakers made terrible running sunglasses.

I just picked up a pair of evZero stride's and really like them. They don't have the separation in the lenses like the evZero pitch/path/range so they look a lot better.

They don't block the wind on the bike as good as my Radar EV's or jawbreakers but they're a great "triathlon" sunglasses that I wouldn't feel like an idiot wear during a post ride coffee or beer.

They're also ridiculously light.

Downside: non-replaceable lenses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to my local quality bike store couple of days ago, just to have a look at them.

Ofcourse I ended up buying them when the seller dropped the prize with a couple of euros…
Always been an Oakley fan, and they just felt like a quality piece of kit, tried them cycling, very happy with them.
I've been using a flakjacket model for years now and was never really happy with them, tried the jawbreakers of my girlfriend on some of our bike outings and they made me greedy allready, this felt like a good evolution on that model in our (tri) direction.

Havent tried them running jet though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a pair of the black Flight Jackets with Prizm Road lenses today at the Oakley Outlet. Totally scored as they gave me a family and friends discount of 25% off!

I was seriously considering the Radar EV’s which are less wild looking and would be a little better suited to lifestyle use. I’m glad I got the Flight Jackets. I wore them driving home and the field of vision is superior to anything I’ve ever owned. They’re comparable to my Smith Podium TT which has an enormous wrap around lens. The heightened lens from the Jawbreaker with no top frame is very sweet too!

I can’t wait to ride and run I’m them. Ironically, my first use will be a run tomorrow morning rather than a ride. I’m really glad I got these!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like mine. Great visibility straight ahead and in aero position. Nice fit under helmet (Scott Cadence Plus). Bridge vent actually works. Only complaint is peripheral vision is slightly obstructed causing me to turn my head more than with other glasses.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Flight Jacket [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was able to run in mine today. The optics and visibility were great. They’re really light given it’s basically a large visor on your face. I’m not sure if the aesthetics have grown on me yet. Excited to ride in them!
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Flight Jacket [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
Only complaint is peripheral vision is slightly obstructed causing me to turn my head more than with other glasses.

That sounds like a dealbreaker for cycling!
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Flight Jacket [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It only sucks when looking behind you (before a pass, etc.) just have to turn your head a little more than used to
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Flight Jacket [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 expensive and unsafe and fug-ly? I'm getting flashbacks to the sub zeros... at least they were light

It's basically all been a design downhill since the M frame Heater and Sweep which to this day represent the epitomy of optical accessory design excellence
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Flight Jacket [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They only weigh 34g, which is close to the 29g Radar Ev. That weight difference is indiscrepable so they’re not heavy.

The lens is large and has great width. I can’t see peripheral vision being obstructed since it’s been designed to maximize such aspects.

In terms of it being fugly, what triathlon equipment isn’t fugly? Tri suits, aero helmets, flouro colored everything, speedos, compression socks, etc. Seems like the Flight Jackets fit right in with other Tri based gear.

quote lacticturkey] expensive and unsafe and fug-ly? I'm getting flashbacks to the sub zeros... at least they were light

It's basically all been a design downhill since the M frame Heater and Sweep which to this day represent the epitomy of optical accessory design excellence[/quote]
Quote Reply