Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oakley AR07
Quote | Reply
Anyone have this and think its worth the price? Is there a new version coming out this year? I read some reviews that the visor magnets weren't very good did anyone who have it think the same? How's the ventilation? Thanks.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley AR07 [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't have any issue with the visor nor ventilation (I got the white one which helps with heat mgmt), the only thing I will say could be better is the tightness around the neck, maybe it helps with aerodynamics but when you're trying to rush that thing on in T1, or rush it off in T2, it can be a bit of a pain. I was hoping they'd release the version Jan and Katusha wears but haven't heard anything.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley AR07 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
(I got the white one which helps with heat mgmt)

It actually doesn't. Color doesn't matter when it comes to helmets. The outside top surface area of the helmet itself might measure slightly warmer between a black and white helmet. That stated, the actual temperature underneath the helmet (under an inch of padding and insulation plus the ventilation) doesn't retain or transfer any of the heat.

There have been some studies cited here before. I want to say Jordan Rapp was involved with something related to that but I might be wrong on that.

Anyhoo... watch the first 90 seconds of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SpHqtGPlJA

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley AR07 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.
I've been pointing that out for a loooong time where I live. All that polystyrene makes conduction irrelevant, whether the outside surface is black; white; or sky blue, pink and yellow dots.

Now black tri suits, that's a different matter (even 'cold black' ones - which should really be called just-a-bit-less-hot-black')
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley AR07 [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Thank you.
I've been pointing that out for a loooong time where I live. All that polystyrene makes conduction irrelevant, whether the outside surface is black; white; or sky blue, pink and yellow dots.

Now black tri suits, that's a different matter (even 'cold black' ones - which should really be called just-a-bit-less-hot-black')

I point it out a lot too. One of those cycling urban legends that won't go away.

Yes, black tri suits (no matter the fabric) will be hotter because it's directly touching your skin with nothing to dissipate the heat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that is good to hear! now I can get one to match my bike

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, just really curious why 95% of all tri suits are black.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad you gave some real evidence to counter the urban legend. I had heard that too (that white helmets are cooler). Now I know thats not the case.....I still prefer a white one but that has nothing to do with my original post. :P Thanks everyone....I was thinking that a 2019 AR07 would come out since there is always room for improvement.

Quote Reply
Re: Oakley AR07 [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:

I had a white top at one point. Fine for some races but after IMTX it was permanently brown due to the swim. Haven't owned anything predominantly white since then for that reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:

I think it's a privacy and aesthetics thing. Every color that's not black tends to show everything, especially when wet.

Would you wear an all white or light blue suit? Me neither. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, just to clarify, not talking all white. Happy for bottom half to be black for obvious reasons. But definitely prefer the top half to be white / light
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
no, just to clarify, not talking all white. Happy for bottom half to be black for obvious reasons. But definitely prefer the top half to be white / light

See BigBoy's response then. There's been countless threads about river and lake swims permanently discoloring suits and tops. I have a friend that did IM Louisville and his white top magically changed to a light brown top. :-)

Plus you have the issue with women not ever going to wear a white top.

That's not saying a top has to be all black. I wear mostly Desoto gear and get the suits/tops with funky designs. Almost no black in the tops but plenty of darker colors or color changes.
https://www.desotosport.com/...ctions/mens-trisuits
https://www.desotosport.com/collections/mens-tops

Last edited by: The GMAN: May 10, 19 5:06
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley AR07 [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked one up on a good sale and wore it last weekend at a race for the first time. Vision is really good with the prizm lens. As everyones been talking the magnet is definitely not the best but have not had any issues with mine at all. Mine at least did not bump around and the course had some pretty decent bumps on the road. For transitions I was able to plop my head in without touch the visor at all which I guess also helps by not taking it out all the time. Ventalation is pretty decent... not overly warm, but not overly cool either. I did email Oakley about upgrading the magnets and the response pretty much was that they understand there has been issues, but they haven't set out on updating it yet. Interesting enough David McNamee's visor flew off at IMSA.

I'm Doing ironman Santa Rosa tomorrow with it so will let you know how it goes for a full.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11645943 https://www.instagram.com/timeforicecream/
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley AR07 [DylanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Where did you find it on.the sale?

Quote Reply