Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OT : how about AOL?
Quote | Reply
anyone dealing with them?
cancel my account last year in march (for the third time in 2 months as each time the person on the phone kept my account alive)...
got it cancelled and oh surprise...they billed me again this month...
$44.85...

Of course, they can cancel the account, but for the refund, there is no freakin' phone number...you got to mail the billing services...freakin' joke...they don't have a phone number????

if anyone works there, time to say something, because all your adds about customer service don't really hide what really happens...
Quote Reply
Re: OT : how about AOL? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you dare!

Any self respecting geek would never be caught dead ...

: ' )
Quote Reply
Re: OT : how about AOL? [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but it's just sooo annoying...they pretend they can't cancel your account or whatever but still manage to access your bank account without any problem...and each time it's a full hour on the phone...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would call and go straight to the manager with that one.
Quote Reply
Re: OT : how about AOL? [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that sounds familiar...

AOL to Settle Case Brought by FTC Firm Accused of Mistreating Subscribers Washington Post September 24, 2003. Quoting: "America Online yesterday agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it treated subscribers unfairly by failing to live up to the terms of some rebate offers and by making it too difficult to cancel monthly subscriptions to the Internet service." They agreed to do better.

AOL and Compuserve Settle FTC Charges of Unfair Practices  A press release from the FTC. FTC Alleges That Charges Continued for Subscribers Who Asked to Cancel; $400 Rebates Were Not Delivered as Promised September 23, 2003. 
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, go to netzero.com and look for how to cancel your account. They as a service to drum up business have directions and phone numbers that will let you cancel just about any competing service. I have used tham for about two years now and it is good for dialup but I'm going DSL on monday.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and that...

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/gmsv/739/7393456.htm

so anyone here an AOL customer??
Quote Reply
Re: OT : how about AOL? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my account is now cancelled but I want these wan.ers to give me back what they charged this month..
apparently the billing services does not have a phone number...yeah right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AOL has a policy that if you cancel you can reactivate "automatically" for a month if you just log on. Did anyone log on on your computer for a month after you cancelled? if so I think you are SOL. If not I say fight the charge from your bank as it was not an authorized transaction. Contact your bank explain that a draft was made that was not authorized for a service you didn't use. Let them do the work.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my account was definitely cancelled in march 2004.
I got charged in january 2005...

besides my first account with them was a dial up account.
I have been upgraded to broadband!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I will contact the bank...quicker...less BS...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definetly their fault, is the AOl virus/software still on your computer? Stuff hides everywhere. I had to reformat to get rid of it.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even have the same machine!

we got a new box about 6 months ago!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I opened an account for a woman at work because she was going to be out and not a usual laptop user and had no highspeed for vpn. Got the 45 day trial and they started billing, so I cancelled. Couple months later again, cancelled. Couple months later billed again so I called and asked me for the screen name and pwd told couldn't remember since I didn't use the account but they were billing my f'in credit card! They told me since I signed up under our business name (because I didn't want them to have all my info) I had to get an officer to sign to relenquish the account, didn't matter it was my credit card. I have kept all the letters and faxes because if there is a next time I am going to the CO AG. Cancelling with them is a scam
Quote Reply
Re: OT : how about AOL? [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check the url I put above...

and they have all these adds about how great they are etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then its not an accidental login. They definetly owe you some cash. I hope you pursue it not because of the money involved in your situation, but because how many other people didn't bother? Alot of the large corporations have policies in place that are designed to play on our apathy, "if we do this to 10,000 people only 1000 will complain and we will make xx,000" I am fairly unconvential as an american consumer, I can't believe what people will pay for somethings. $4 coffee, $25 dial up internet, $50 for blue jeans that are no better than what I get for $10. I went to a mall today looking for a specific book. They didn't have it (of course) and I had an hour to kill so I cruised the mall window shopping. I didnt see a thing I liked that wasn't 50% more expensive then what I had found someplace less convential (outlet store, online, closeout catolog). So please,"stick it to the man"

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sure will...we always get good ideas on slowtwitch...
:-)
got my money back from travelocity last year, Honda changed the windshield for free, and AOL is going to pay back :-)

next step: convince the government that they should give me permanent residence and then US citizenship or should exempt from taxes...

anyone from the Gov. around here???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, I am very disappointed in you. AOL? How could you? My God, mon ami, they are the Walmart bikes of online services. And for a certified geek to be using them, is, is, is, is, er, SINFUL! You pervert! :)

My daughter insisted on trying them 4 years ago because she got a free disk. I told her she could try it free for 30 days and then she had to call and cancel. Took her about 30 minutes to get through to them and cancel. She was fuming black smoke when she was done.

If they were the ONLY online provider I'd go back to snail mail or the pony express. When you fly into Dulles the lousy odor you smell emanates from AOL HELL just down the street! :)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds about right.
Quote Reply
Re: OT : how about AOL? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first free trial I had when I arrived in the US 4 years ago...and never bothered to change until last year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, they took advantage of an ill Eagle Alien. :),

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what a pun! mate, you're in a good mood it seems! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He, he. Peace and here's hoping you find the job of your dreams to match the girl of your dreams. :)

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
already got the girl of my dreams...that's the main thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dealt with AOL too long. I am happy to finally have moved on.
Good luck
Herbert
Quote Reply

Prev Next