Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT : Mac mini
Quote | Reply
after getting an iBook, and recently at work a G5 with 64bit desktop, I'm considering a Mac Mini for home...
anyone tried? opinions? comments?
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Mac mini [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a hard time choosing between that and the top of the line iMacG5 20". I went with the iMac, so no new bike this year for me! But I suspect the mini would've actually been just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Mac Mini?

If you get the mini, at least get the maxi fries to go with it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a iBook. I know apple is going with intel for it's next platform. They say next year. So you could run windows and os10 at the same time. I am going to hold out for the new platform.

Thom
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Jar Jar [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by Jar Jar [ In reply to ]
Re: OT : Mac mini [Jar Jar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they will be out sooner then that just to stop the bleeding. Jobbs likes to show up at the shows with big big surprises. They will run anything It will be great. Dual platform mac and windows.

Thom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ALMOST bought one. Then I factored in the cost of a monitor and upgrades (memory, HD, wireless) to go with it, and went with the 17" iMac G5.

It'd make a really nice "second computer" for web surfing and stuff like that, though. If you've already got a monitor.

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Mac mini [Jar Jar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for telling me I need a screen...I thought I was just looking through the box ;-) LOL...

sure, you can get more stuff, better etc...but honestly, who here needs super fast processors, and who maxes out their memory, or runs codes that are computationally so dense that space/time becomes and issue?

I'm thinking of the Mac mini for my wife, for home. At work I have all the computational power I need...linux cluster, itanium architecture etc...
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Mac mini [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OS10 has apparently been hacked to run on Intel machines already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got an ibook yesterday, its my first apple. Pretty cool so far but how in the heck do you make the web page full size??

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Mac mini [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you mean by "full size", but you can change the display resolution through the "display" section of the System Preferences (in the apple menu on the top lefthand corner of the screen).
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Mac mini [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no maximize button. Just grab the lower right corner of the browser window and drag the window to whatever size you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a spiffy monitor already........get the mini. If not get the iMac, the 20" is very nice. My desktop is a dual 2.0 G5 with an Apple 20' LCD, I use my PowerBook 15" more. The kiddies have an older iMac.........love my Apple computers.......and the stock!

;-)

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have maxed out memory doing music and photo, but that was on my old Bondi iMac. The G5 gets you maybe another year or two before obsolesecense, but it's a big price jump from the G4 mini. Of course, this assumes you already have a monitor and keyboard.

I also have all the computing power I need at work, but even with the whole IT department backing it, it's inferior to Mac in performance and reliability. Raw power isn't the issue, usabililty is. Mac is the ideal home computer. It's also the ideal work computer, except that there's no telling them that.

Windows and Mac on the same computer is very unlikely. The current generation of PPC chips is made by IBM, but there is no software interoperability between current Macs and any IBM computers. And it wasn't "hacks" who've been running OSX on Intel chips, it was Apple. They did parallel development all along, in case they ever needed to source chips from Intel; now the time has come.
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Mac mini [Steve B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My God.

I LOVE Macintosh.

I love that the IT people at the jobs I have had HATE Macintosh... they hate Macs because they know that most of them would lose their jobs if companies went Mac because Macs are easy to use and maintain.

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Re: OT : Mac mini [igobackwards] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct sir....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply