Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: international wire transfer
Quote | Reply
gotta transfer money from a french account to a us one (about $25k).
What's the best way to do so to avoid stupid fees?
Quote Reply
Re: OT: international wire transfer [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Western Union....?

:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]gotta transfer money from a french account to a us one (about $25k).
What's the best way to do so to avoid stupid fees?[/reply]

Guess it depends on the amount. My bank charges me when people wire money to me. But it is a fixed fee so not a big problem if the amount is large enough.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wire the money to me and I'll handle it from there. Send me a pm for my routing # and instructions;-)

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: OT: international wire transfer [Armored Avenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a Visa card from the French account and use it in the US, paying it off with the French money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know my bank (TD Canada) allows email money transfers.

costs me $1.50/transfer.

not sure about the upperlimits though?

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your US bank will charge you a small fee ($10-20) for receiving the wire. The problem will be at the French end. Twice in the last few years I had the option of wiring money or taking a bank draft in US$ from Singapore. The bank draft was substantially cheaper. But, I was present in Singapore to sign for the the draft. If I recall, the Singapore fee was about 1% and then fixed after a certain point. I would contact the bank and check on options. A fedex-ed draft would probably cost you less than a wire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I regularly send money to my needy son in the UK from the US ( will he ever be off the payoll? ) and it usually cost be about $25 US for the transfer- I have also done it from RBS in UK to my US account and again the fee has been about 15 UK pounds. Painless and completed in about 2 days door to door..

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: OT: international wire transfer [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so even for relatively large amounts this is done quite fast?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1-3 days processing time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wired ukp 20000 from my UK bank to my Japan bank. They say 3-5 days but normally only takes 3.

I could probably find a cheaper way to transger the money if I was prepared for it to take longer, but the bank transfer is easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fees are generally US 25-30 or equivalent for virtually any amount. Wiring from the USA the settlement will generally be same day for USD (if before the cutoff time, usually around 2-3PM) or D+1 for Euro and UK and D+2 for foreign currency. This assumes that the banks instruct the wire quickly and post quickly once it's received.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the amount is irrelevant to the process and speed. Every time from UK to US or US to US, if the order is place early in the day - has only taken a max of two days. Hope this helps.

Graham Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: OT: international wire transfer [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figure that indeed...big firms do that with millions of dollars...but french companies sometimes have strange rules for regular folks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They (French banks) certainly do have some strange rules.
My parents transfer money once in a while from France to Canada. They just make a deposit to my bank account from their bank. It's taken anywhere from a day to two weeks to receive the money, usually around 2,3 business days. Fee has always been the same, around 40-50 EUR, IIRC. I never had to pay anything on my end.
Since you are getting a fairly large amount of money transfered I'd ask the bank about the rules for reporting it (anything over 10,000CAD banks have to report to .gov, large money transfers between accounts get flaged as potential money laundering, there's more stuff than that).

http://www.optruth.org/
Quote Reply
Re: OT: international wire transfer [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhhh, Dapper Dan knows how to play the game. Banking in Austria, Switzerland, and the Caymans has never been easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
merde......:-)

Graham Wilson
Quote Reply