Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OT: Put your $$$ where your mouth is
Quote | Reply
Considering the amount of political talk on the forum recently, I thought some of you might be interested in Run Against Bush (www.runagainstbush.org). It is a group that is mobilizing runners to raise money to help defeat Bush in November. For $25, they'll send you a nifty t-shirt. And yes, they have coolmax too. So don't just spout off on a message board--get out there and do some training runs in your t-shirt to show the whole world your political commitments.

--Vimalakirti

"It is a designation, a description, an appellation, nothing but a name. But in the final analysis, the ultimate sense, there is no Person to be found herein. . ." --The Questions of King Milinda
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Put your $$$ where your mouth is [vimalakirti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...seems no one gives a shit...to bad all the libs have to run "Against" Bush as opposed to on their own platform...pathetic really.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Put your $$$ where your mouth is [Record10ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aha! The REAL reason she won't commit to you! LOL

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Put your $$$ where your mouth is [Record10ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a signed picture of The President and Mrs. Bush on my desk and I have a fine "#43" baseball cap showing my support of the 43rd, and one of the most severly tested, Presidents of these United States.

"Many are called. Few answer."

"The credit belongs to man who is actually in the arena" -Theodore Roosevelt.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" -Jesus Christ.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
How much did you have to donate to get the picture and the hat? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like it's all about money with the Bush campaign.
Quote Reply
Re: How much did you have to donate to get the picture and the hat? [tootall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I recall correctly it cost President Bush $54 Million to win the Presidency and the job, which lasts four years, pays about $400K per year I think.

Sounds like he is running a $53,600,000.00 defecit on the deal.

I love my job, but I'm not willing to spend (raise) $53,600,000.00 to keep it for the next four years.

But I'm glad he is.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much did you have to donate to get the picture and the hat? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
54 million of his own dollars? While Bush certainly is not in it for the money, he's hardly running a $53,600,000 personal deficit.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: How much did you have to donate to get the picture and the hat? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never donated a penny to any campaign.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much did you have to donate to get the picture and the hat? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me neither. I won't even check that little box on my tax return giving a buck to the federal election fund. (Or are they up to 2 or 3 dollars now?) See? We do have something in common! Spooky.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And that's why there are no big tax write offs for bike shops.
Quote Reply
Re: How much did you have to donate to get the picture and the hat? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would certainly never check the box on my tax return to give the federal government money voluntarily, but donating money to a candidate is one of the ways that you can influence public policy by helping to elect those that share your views. Your individual donation does not make much of a difference at the national level, but you can really help out a candidate for school board, state representative or your local municipality for less than you may spend just on running shoes in a year. For example, the people that may decide whether your road or another road gets repaved might have a campaign budget of a few thousand dollars. Even if you have little money to spare, volunteering a little time of your time around an election can also help a good deal, especially at the bottom end of the ticket where voters may not have even thought about the candidates before they show up at the polls. If you have opinions about how things ought to be run, but never do anything to put them into place, you really shouldn't complain when things turn out differently than you would like.
Quote Reply
Re: How much did you have to donate to get the picture and the hat? [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CTL, my initial reaction to this is a lot of eye rolling and exasperated sighs. Thanks for the civics lesson.

First of all, I don't know where you got the idea that I don't do anything to get involved in the political process. I only said I've never donated money to a campaign. And while it's true that a financial contribution to a local campaign has more impact than one to a national campaign, I really don't think that what politics needs, at any level, is more money.

I'd also point out that donating either money or time directly to a campaign may not always be the most effective means of making one's voice heard. There are many, many ways to get involved in the political process, and while one should certainly be involved in it, how one does so is up to the individual.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, as much as the process interests me, politics is not the only sphere in which one can effect needed change. Just as there are lots of ways to contribute to the political process, there are many important ways to contribute to improving society.

You're not going to say that if I don't vote, I can't complain, are you? ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
CTL, my initial reaction to this is a lot of eye rolling and exasperated sighs. Thanks for the civics lesson.

First of all, I don't know where you got the idea that I don't do anything to get involved in the political process. I only said I've never donated money to a campaign. And while it's true that a financial contribution to a local campaign has more impact than one to a national campaign, I really don't think that what politics needs, at any level, is more money.
Nice straw man argument. I had no opinion regarding your level of participation, but was only saying that participation is a good thing and that you can have more of an impact than many think. I doubt, for example, that more than 2500 of the 125,000+ residents of my municipality will vote in the school board election in 12 days. As far as money in politics goes, I don't see how spending a fraction of what is spent on soft drink ads is spending too much money to determine wins the Presidential, Senate and House elections this year.
I'd also point out that donating either money or time directly to a campaign may not always be the most effective means of making one's voice heard. There are many, many ways to get involved in the political process, and while one should certainly be involved in it, how one does so is up to the individual.
Another straw man argument. There are clearly lots of ways to participate. It's also impossible to keep track of every issue that comes up before our elected officials so that you can lobby them. That's why it's so important to do what you can to get the best individual possible, however you define, that elected in the first place.
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, as much as the process interests me, politics is not the only sphere in which one can effect needed change. Just as there are lots of ways to contribute to the political process, there are many important ways to contribute to improving society. Another straw man argument. Of coruse, there are many things you can do to improve society. But, who gets elected might limit what else you can.
You're not going to say that if I don't vote, I can't complain, are you? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Put your $$$ where your mouth is [vimalakirti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Run Against Bush"

Actually in a race he'd probably beat you.
Quote Reply
Better idea: Run against Tibbs! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As soon as $500 dollars in Richardson Bikemart gift certificates hits my inbox I leave the forum.

It's brilliant. Think it over.

www.bikemart.com

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Put your $$$ where your mouth is [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you will permit me, as a foreigner, to squeek in for a second here, might I say that I find the general disdain (domestic and international) for your president wholly unjustified. Seems to me (looking in from the outside) that he has done a good job in extremely testing times. People pillory him for making the odd verbal gaff, and perhaps not being an intellectual.
But what does that really matter? Is a person's character not more important than how clever they sound, or which big words they can manipulate?

So, roll on Mr Bush.

Just my .02c worth (about $2 in Kiwi money).

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: Better idea: Run against Tibbs! [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Dave Scott, Six-Time Hawaiian Ironman Triathlon Champion, will be at Richardson Bike Mart, June 5, from 3:00 to 5:00 pm. He will be here to meet, greet and answer your questions about Mr. Tibbs."

"They" better get that money to you fast!

...and when your ready to run against Bush, you don't have to do it alone! Chariot Carriers Tibbs-Trailers We are excited about our newest line of Tibbs trailers. Together with Chariot's revolutionary CTSTM technology and all their extra features, these carriers are one of the best we seen in the marketplace. We will be stocking the Cougar SX (the Lexus of Tibbs carriers), the Cougar 2 and the Side Carrier (the first carrier that rides beside your bike instead of behind it).
The Cougar SX and Cougar 2 offer the CASTMAdjustable Susension to provide maximum comfort for your Tibbsy.

==================================
but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Last edited by: minny expat: Jun 2, 04 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Put your $$$ where your mouth is [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with half of your post. I don't care that Bush is not the brightest president, or the most well spoken; I care about his character and that is the problem.

GW Bush is a liar.

He would say, or do anything to get or keep power. He allowed his campaign to lie about John McCain and Al Gore. His political operation lied about Max Cleland. His campaign is currently setting records for the lies that it is spilling about John Kerry.

He and his cabinet and staff lied repeatedly to the US public, and the world, about the situation in Iraq, about the costs, about the presence of WMD, and about the post-war planning, about the situation in the prisons and about their response to it.

I believe he is even lying about his faith, values and character. He has changed is position on almost every issue to fit the prevailing winds, but his campaign and supporters keep shouting "constancy" and "character" and so many people believe it. He is the red shoes president.

Ray

--

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Put your $$$ where your mouth is [Ray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"GW Bush is a liar. "

Can you enlighten me? Don't read into that and get all fired up. I'm not saying you can't.

but I can deal with the angels, cause it ain’t me they’re here to claim. it’s a good night for blowing ‘em off til some other day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ray,

Not to start an argument or anything- I am interested in your perspective- but why do you say he lied?

I listned to and read a reasonable amount of what he said about WMD's and Iraq. To my recollection, he did not lie.

Let me know what you think and why you think it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is also cloning Hitler and drinks the blood of Democratic children.

He is evil!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Better idea: Run against Tibbs! [minny expat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You my friend have lost it. I like that about you.

Quote Reply
Re: How much did you have to donate to get the picture and the hat? [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More eye-rolling. This little scuffle started when I said I didn't give money to political campaigns, and you replied saying that even small contributions on a local level can have an impact. You also suggested that if it isn't possible to donate money to a campaign, one can contribute by volunteering to work for it, instead. After offering these two courses of action, you said the following:

"If you have opinions about how things ought to be run, but never do anything to put them into place, you really shouldn't complain when things turn out differently than you would like. "

And all I'm saying in response is that supporting a political campaign financially or by working for it is not the only way to put one's beliefs into practice. Usually it's not even the most effective way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does this half to do with buying me off? Back to the important subjects.

Quote Reply
Re: Better idea: Run against Tibbs! [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've spent the last five hours reading Work Comp cases, trying to get a solid definition of "discharge for misconduct". My eyes are bleeding. I need distractions.

Quote Reply

Prev Next