Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
LvL won it in '96. Course record 8:04, in his first ever Ironman distance.

There you go thx, I plain mixed numbers... Imagettinold...
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the weather going to be like?

If there is little wind on the way out, then the men's race will explode over the last 40km when Wurf and co desperately try to shed the runners, while the woman's will detonate on the gradual climb up to Hawi as Ryf will drop those trying to stay with her while she goes after Lucy.

Two important reminders about Ryf, she wasn't in great form last year and she had a pretty bad wardrobe malfunction at the 70.3 champs. She will own the bike course this year. Having Lucy up the road is golden, it gives her focus and a carrot to catch. Perfect for a TT effort, the other girls will cope for the first 60km and then will have to let Ryf go, as otherwise they'll be walking the run.

Personally I'd like it to be really really windy as then the gaps become larger and mistakes are more costly.
Last edited by: SteveMc: Oct 11, 18 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anakinpm wrote:
Javi Gomez is the most decorated athlete in the history of the sport.

I would argue that might not be the case, depending on how you weight Olympic golds, and the pre-Olympic Triathlon era. Contenders for that crown also include: Allen, Frodeno & Alistair Brownlee; the first two have won world (or Oly) titles at all distances, and Brownlee has 2 Olympic Golds plus 4x ITU Worlds....

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check your sources. Alistar has won 2x ITU Worlds. Frodeno first world championship was in 70.3

Sure Javi didn't get gold medal in Olympic games (just a squalid silver)... but among others he is record 5x time ITU world champion. Do you know how ITU worlds work? It's not a one-off race... it's a matter of consistency. Javi is usually recognized so by fellow competitors.

Alistair is the only one at that level (or higher) of performance day in, day out. Frodeno won a gold medal in Beijing as a very dark horse... and never replicated that success. However, imho he has became the strongest long distance triathlete ever.

Just a link about Javi's achievements from an objective international web: https://www.triathlete.com/...an-debut-ever_329840
Last edited by: anakinpm: Oct 11, 18 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Is there an objective reason why most aren't giving Lange a chance?

I predict Lange will win again. I also predict that once he does:

1. Some on Slowtwitch will say he was drafting
2. Macca will say he only won because Jan pulled out
3. In typical millennial fashion, other pros will say that they need to change the Championship venue because they can't win in Kona
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same source as you, but I included the two U23 World titles....as a world title is a world title ;-) Yes, I am vaguely aware of how Triathlon works, but I'm just offering to you as a Gomez fanboy, that there are alternatives out there; Mark Allen is really the guy you're thinking of.

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Oct 11, 18 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Gomez
Nillson
Keinle

Ryf - new course record. I've watched her interviews and Instagram and I've never her seen looking as fit EVER. I'd be surprised if she's not in the lead by mile 40 on the bike.
Haug
True

Ryf didn’t even pass LC until 90+ miles into the bike and now that LC has tremendously improved her biking abilities no way that even happens!

Only way LC doesn’t get into the bike course with 5+min on Ryf and it’d be because Sarah True towed Ryf all the way into T1 faster than she can do it on her own!!!

LC would’ve put at least another minute on Ryf at 70.3 worlds if it wasn’t for Sarah True towing everyone in!!!

But we just gonna have to wait and see... I’ll give LC a 2min lead on the run course on Ryf

I give LC 5 minutes on the swim max. If you watched 70.3 worlds you must remember how fast Ryf reeled in Charles while riding with a parachute jersey. Charles blew herself to bits to hang on.

Charles swims as fast as the men. Ryf rides as fast as the men.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sebi & Ryf. Sarah True will podium with Lucy Charles.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Charles blew herself to bits to hang on.

Not so sure about that, she still ran 1:20 which is good for her at this time. This could all be gamesmanship, but she said in the Talbot interview that she was comfortable following Ryf and took a lot of confidence in that especially since she didn't even target 70.3 worlds with her training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not about who I'm a fan of or who is the GOAT. I don't intend to discuss that. I've never seen much sense in comparing guys from different generations. Mark Allen, Dave Scott, Alistair, Frodeno, Craig Alexander... all are in the hall of fame.

I'm just saying that this forum shouldn't underestimate the quality and heart of a guy that's so used to win. But hey, you can praise whatever guy that had a good day
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Not so sure about that, she still ran 1:20 which is good for her at this time. This could all be gamesmanship, but she said in the Talbot interview that she was comfortable following Ryf and took a lot of confidence in that especially since she didn't even target 70.3 worlds with her training.

Lucy also said that she is too competitive for herself and might end up chasing that swim course record. If she does end up feeling perky and goes and gets, or is close to the swim record, how does that effect the longevity of her race pace? I tend to think not a lot. I think Ryf would spend just as much gas, maybe a little extra, chasing Lucy down over the gap from the swim as what Lucy spends getting the swim course record. She won't have the luxury being pulled around the course but will actually have to get after Lucy a little.

It will be interesting none the less to see the gaps at T1 and T2.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [THRILLHO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THRILLHO wrote:
Thorax wrote:
Is there an objective reason why most aren't giving Lange a chance?

I predict Lange will win again. I also predict that once he does:

1. Some on Slowtwitch will say he was drafting
3. In typical millennial fashion, other pros will say that they need to change the Championship venue because they can't win in Kona

Made my day. Imagined Macca stating it...
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After posting that I was thinking back to the video zwift posted about her a few days ago. In the video it can be deducted that Lucy's IM watts are 230. Or at least that's what they want us to think. I made a comment at the time that was incredible at her size.

Well I just went and ran the numbers in best bike split. If she weighs 130 lbs (I have no idea how much she weighs) and pushes 230w at kona she would end up with a bike split of 4:37 even with an CdA of .245. 4:32 with CdA of .23 which she's likely under.

So either there's no way that's her IM watts or she's going to destroy the field. (or this BBS link is garbage). Danelia has never rode faster than 4:50.

https://www.bestbikesplit.com/...-study-kona2018.php?
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [heretic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heretic wrote:
THRILLHO wrote:

Macca says, "in the back of his/her mind" a lot. He'll also drop "he/she knows," as if he gets to speak for them.

I do find him interesting, though.
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
heretic wrote:
THRILLHO wrote:

Macca says, "in the back of his/her mind" a lot. He'll also drop "he/she knows," as if he gets to speak for them.

I do find him interesting, though.

Macca has edges and shows those, likewise Faris who did in different style. Yet those were interesting interviews and statements...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any idea of cda numbers for the pros with good positions? Iirc Cam posted he had .21. Wonder how that compares to Sebi/Jan/Lionel etc. should be fairly easy to get a rough estimate of Lionel since we often know what wattage he rides at no?
Edit: just checked Tp ad they estimated Lionels at .235 last year in Kona, compared to .25 the year before.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Last edited by: oscaro: Oct 11, 18 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Everyone knows that run was short.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanders

Ryf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed Baker

Ashley Horner
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened to Talbot's response that Lange's manager asked for money for an interview?
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [dcomdcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcomdcom wrote:
What happened to Talbot's response that Lange's manager asked for money for an interview?

That's on "The Germans have no love for Lange" thread. Page 2 I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Men
1. Gomez
2. Lange
3. Kienle

Women
1. Ryf
2. Carfrae
3. Sali

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Men:
  1. Kienle
  2. Sanders
  3. Gomez

Women:
  1. Charles
  2. Ryf
  3. Haug

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: OFFICIAL Kona Prediction Thread [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
Men:
  1. Kienle
  2. Sanders
  3. Gomez

Women:
  1. Charles
  2. Ryf
  3. Haug

Men:
  1. Kienle
  2. Sanders
  3. Gomez

Women:
  1. Ryf
  2. Charles
  3. Haug

So how‘s the weather gonna be?
Saw a flood warning on google!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll say this....

I have the feeling this is going to be an epic race...and the last time I felt this way was about 2 weeks before the Ironwar in 1989.

The caliber of the field is outstanding! Anyone that feels confident about their prediction must know far more than others because there are so many ways this can go.

On a side note, I watched all the "Breakfast with Bob" interviews and what struck me most was how likable everyone is. There is a ton of respect going around and everyone seems to have a really pleasant and fun personality.

Men predictions (really winging it here):

1st - Gomez
2nd - Lange
3rd - Kienle
4th - Sanders

Wurf and Sanders will lead off the bike by 7 minutes.
Gomez and Lange will come off the bike in the second pack.
Wurf will fade first by mile 10.
Sanders run splits will start to noise dive at mile 19.
Gomez and Lange will make the pass into first place at mile 23.
Gomez will separate himself from Lange with 1 mile to go.

I would love to see Lionel Sanders or Brent McMahon take the title as a fellow Canadian, but I am not sure why MacMahon has not been mentioned by anyone - so I suspect they know something I don't. I place him as a dark horse for the win. My concern on Lionel is I don't know if he was being foolish by doing almost the whole course at a fast pace not long before the big show.

Prev Next