Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ODD NEWBIE QUESTION
Quote | Reply
Hey there gang,

I just got hooked on cycling six months ago, in my obsessive-compulsive sorta' fixed on it like a pit bull kinda way. But alas, three months from now i head over to Eastern Africa, were I do biological research and run a field school in ecology and conservation for American and Candadian undergrads.

My question is this: Because i live out with the beasties of the Afrian plain, it is not particularly safe to cycle about out there, nor run. We swim in the nearby river, but only when the hippos have been kind enough to move downstream from their hole for the day. But I shall miss my bike! I must have it with me.

So, do any of you all know about foldable bikes and relatively light trainers that i might be able to bring to my field camp in kenya? these things do not have to be tricked out....just geometricalliy sound (the bike), and offereing reasonable resistance (the trainer), so that i might get 4-5 months worth of workouts over there since i can't be back here...

any perspectives? solutions? arcane wisdom? all would be greatly appreciated--

Toad in Davis, CA

http://www.kenyawilds.com/faculty.html
Quote Reply
Re: ODD NEWBIE QUESTION [toadpalmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ritchey makes a "break away" bike available at both Colorado Cyclist and Excel Sports Boulder.

Bike Friday also has a line of folding bikes which are supposed to mimic the feel of a "real" bike quite well.

As for trainers, I'm partial to my Kurt Kinetic, although I've also heard very good things about 1-Up. If you're serious about building technique, you might want to look into a set of rollers. Get the small drums and you should have plenty of resistance.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toadpalmer-

What Khai said. Ritchey Breakaway and Kurt Kinetic trainer. Exactly what I was thinking while reading your post, took the words right out of my mouth. But I guess I've gone and said them anyway, oh well.

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Re: ODD NEWBIE QUESTION [GDNenn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would probably go for a disposable bike. I'd look on eBay and find an old, cheap bike that I wouldn't mind leaving behind when I was finished (it would make a great parting gift to a local).

One question, can you have packages delivered?

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Ritchey Break Away [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work for Ritchey and ride a break-away as my every day road bike. It is not a bike in a suitcase, or a foldable bike. It is first and foremost a smooth riding skillfully built work of art. I opted to equip it with Campagnolo components but you can buy one with the case and a full Ultegra group for $2500. Check your LBS or contact Ben or Yo at Ritchey direct and they can point you to your local dealer.

The fact the bike fits into a travel friendly case is just a feature, not the defining attraction to the bike.
Smooth ride and light weight are also prominent features.

I'd take a wind trainer with you as they are pretty indestructable, rollers and fluid trainers have some fragile bits.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the bike/frame

-SuperDave
d_koesel@hotmail.com

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really, no running? I'd think you could do some great running out there. I thought the beasties had learned to shy away from humans. Although maybe a lone human, running, might be a different story.
Quote Reply
Re: ODD NEWBIE QUESTION [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
howdy jaylew,

it is a gorgeous place to run...i used to live on a huge fenced game ranch there where i ran at least an hour a day, past all the goofy giraffes and warthogs, pacing ostriches on occasion, etc. that was really fun. these days, i work in central kenya, with no fences...lots of lions, and even more spooky, old male buffaloes (left by their harems...oy!) and grumpy elephants that aren't terribly habituated to people. add to that a lot of acacia bushland where you can't see too far off the road, and i think i'll need to stick to the trainer. alas, because it would be wonderful running, but i have run from far too many male elephants in musth already...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw a show about elephants in musth killing rhinos in South Africa. I guess if they can kill 2 ton animals with thick hides and a big horn, then stomping one trigeek wouldn't be much of a problem.

Maybe you better stick to the swimming. Stay away from those hippos, though. I hear they kill more people in Africa than Crocs do.
Quote Reply
Re: ODD NEWBIE QUESTION [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
true that, jaylew. them hippos is dan-ger-roos. get between a hippo and water in the early morning, when they are coming back to their pools after a night of grazing, and you will literally become a tri-athelete...all 3 pieces of you. they have wonderfully big canines that are laterally sharp (mostly so the males can scar up other males in contests for gals...not much changes across species boundaries, eh?).

i think they kill so many people because lots of folks head down to the rivers in the early morning to get water, and lots of british ornithologists creep around river banks at that time ;), and everyone is looking in the wrong direction. at any rate, i'll be whirring away on my rollers just next to my field tent...

does this constitute an off-topic message?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that's the last time I complain about being chased by a few farm dogs as I ride through the countryside.

I say go for it. What could be more of an incentive adaptive stimulus for getting FASTER that swimming from hippos and crocs, riding from lions & cheetahs, and running from elephants and buffalo?

You go into Africa as an average trigeek and come out a champion. =)

---------------------------------

Getting further off-topic ... because it's what I do .... I saw a TV special about an African guy that was walking a trail home when he was attacked by a large python (18 feet if I remember correctly). Somehow during the attack, he found the snake's head and began to bite chunks out of its neck. Eventually he bit enough chunks of flesh out that the snake died. Upon returning to his home, he told his neighbors what happened. No one believed him, so he made them all come with him, and he showed them the snake. How the TV cameras got there, I don't know.

He had the snake's skin on his wall as a momento.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: ODD NEWBIE QUESTION [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of a photograph I once saw where someone found an anaconda wrapped around the body of a crocodile. Both were dead. Seems the anaconda wanted the croc for a snack and it had other plans. While the snake constricted around the croc it somehow got hold of the snakes head and in a cruel twist of fate bit and killed it. Sadly not before it had done enough internal damage to the croc. If you're gonna go..go out fighting.
Quote Reply
Re: ODD NEWBIE QUESTION [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of a poster we had in our locker room. A crane was eating a frog. Most of the frog's body was inside the crane's mouth ... except for his arms. His hands were wrapped around the crane's neck, preventing it from swallowing. The words on the poster were "Never Give Up". Of course, it was an illustration.

-----------------------------------

We had a motivational speaker come and speak to our school (even more off-topic). He told the story of 2 African guys sitting outside late at night drinking a few "beverages" (as he called them). A lion jumped out and attacked one of the men, and the other man jumped in to help. Out of sheer desperation and luck, one man grabbed the lion's tongue ... preventing the lion from biting. The man held on for several minutes until their yelling awoke enough people to come out and scare the lion off. A lion's tongue is like industrial grade sand-paper and the man had quite a bit of damage to his hands. The purpose of the story? Use all of your resources to accomplish your goal. Stay in school and accumulate resources.

True story or not, the point was made.

----------------------------

Now about the bike thing ... uhh ... umm ... I ... uhh .... what was the question again?

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Feb 22, 04 23:32
Quote Reply