Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: OAR [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
They just wiped the floor with you in ice hockey. I don't blame you for starting this thread.

USA hockey is a bunch of college kids (not entirely, but)... Against the top Russians...

Miracle on ice can't happen very often (like 1980), or, it wouldn't be a miracle.

Oh well.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
They may as well retitle the group, ADBP = Athletes Doped By Putin!!!

but again, dev, the whole point is that there was a group of athletes for whom it was argued that by dint of training and competing outside of russia and being part of trusted testing pools, they should be allowed to compete under a neutral banner. i live and train in switzerland, on a canadian passport. if i qualified for worlds today, and it emerged tomorrow that trican had a thorough and sophisticated doping program, should i be banned from worlds? should all athletes with canadian passports? or foreigners who train in canada? how do you decide?

it violates the 'innocent until proven guilty' scenario and sets up a precedent that we ought to beware. there's plenty of smoke around salazar - should all his athletes be banned? or all american runners? what about victor conte? and ma junren?

how do you make a consistent, fair rule to be applied to all, here?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:
I think of a lot of the figure skaters, and curlers etc that aren’t doping and should we really punish them?

Ouch

https://www.nytimes.com/...r-krushelnytsky.html

yeah. kinda bad timing on that post. having said that, i'll be interested to know what drugs curlers take. LSD?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:
I think of a lot of the figure skaters, and curlers etc that aren’t doping and should we really punish them?

Ouch

yeah. kinda bad timing on that post. having said that, i'll be interested to know what drugs curlers take. LSD?

This guy had a positive test for Meldonium. Could be to combat an irregular heartbeat or alcohol
Intoxication. My money is on the latter.
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, just wow! Curlers doping...are the ice dancers on the juice too?

Hoffmeister wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Ouch

This guy had a positive test for Meldonium. Could be to combat an irregular heartbeat or alcohol
Intoxication. My money is on the latter.
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree entirely with your premise but are you saying that ALL of these Nordic skiers/biathletes train/compete outside of Russia and are in a trusted testing pool?

In a sport with a checkered history of PED use and most likely where EPO would be most helpful, I find that hard to believe. Nearly every Nordic event I've seen has a Russian in the lead group.

I'd say any athletes finishing just off any podium that contains OAR consider yourself a medalist and be prepared to accept a medal in the future.

It's really a joke. I would say the same thing if it were any other country under the same circumstances.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And another:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...er-olympics/43168312

Edited to add: love this summary from race walker Tom Bosworth

Last edited by: awenborn: Feb 23, 18 3:06
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Ouch

Absolutely psychedelics are peds in sports like curling! And I have a sneaking suspicion the same ones used that are prevelant in our mid & high level German table-tennis & dart leagues. Cannabis dominates, but I think you’d be very surprised the number of athletes micro-dosing lsd & psilocybin. Although I’m hearing more & more 4-aco-DM talk this year. Guess it’s become relatively more cost effective now China is producing it by the ton & the potential value as it makes dosing easier if you are familiar with volumetric dosing.

CC
Quote Reply
Re: OAR [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
I don't disagree entirely with your premise but are you saying that ALL of these Nordic skiers/biathletes train/compete outside of Russia and are in a trusted testing pool?

In a sport with a checkered history of PED use and most likely where EPO would be most helpful, I find that hard to believe. Nearly every Nordic event I've seen has a Russian in the lead group.

I'd say any athletes finishing just off any podium that contains OAR consider yourself a medalist and be prepared to accept a medal in the future.

It's really a joke. I would say the same thing if it were any other country under the same circumstances.

Here in Canada, we are waiting for Alex Harvey's FEDEX medal ceremony after he did a great sprint to slip in for 4th in the 50K with 2 Russians in the silver and bronze. But there is no use crying over spilt milk. Alex was the reigning 50K world champion, and has one of the best finishing sprints in the field. He is like a Sagan of XC skiing, able to compete in every distance from the final 100m sprint finish to 50K.

Alex made the calculation that when Ristanen went early, he would blow up and the medal group would be with the Norwegians. He was wrong, as the Fin built a 2 minute lead. Sundby and Harvey were playing poker with each other while the Fin and Russian went ahead and continued to play poker with each other while a Russian used them to squirt away for bronze.

The racing on the snow (doped or undoped) was phenomenal if you understand the sport. The Finnish pit crew pulled off the ultimate coup rewaxing Ristanenen's skis as the conditions changed. The Russian chose to not go for the ski change, and opened up a 100m lead at the 8K to go exchange, but the better gripping and gliding skis that team Finland prepped for their man was the different.

You could see both Harvey's and Sundy's skis slipping on the last steep uphill. They lost the bronze medal there with the Russian was not. I have no clue if the bronze winning Russian did a ski change with 8K to go or not, but he was visibly "not slipping" on the uphills. Was he doped? I have no clue, but his skis were damn better for the final climb. Visually, the difference was not doping, it was a guy on better skis.
Quote Reply

Prev Next