Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Nutrition strategy for Oly race
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, got my first every oly Tri in 3 weeks and trying to figure out what to bring with me for nutrition on the day. I figure an Oly doesn’t require a huge amount since the distance isn’t too long but just want to make sure I am well prepared. Let me know what you think is best to consume during a race of this length.

Many thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition strategy for Oly race [Barberdolan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you haven't already, practice race-day simulations between now and then. My race-day breakfast is 2 pkgs of instant oatmeal (easy to do on the road), cuppa joe and a banana 2 hours before. Sometimes, I throw back a gel 30-minutes pre-race. On the bike, I go with one 20-oz bottle of Skratch. If your race is going to be 2:45+, then maybe a gel right near the end of the bike. On the run it's just race hydration for me. Less is more. If you eat right leading up to the race, then you don't need much during.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition strategy for Oly race [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
If you haven't already, practice race-day simulations between now and then. My race-day breakfast is 2 pkgs of instant oatmeal (easy to do on the road), cuppa joe and a banana 2 hours before. Sometimes, I throw back a gel 30-minutes pre-race. On the bike, I go with one 20-oz bottle of Skratch. If your race is going to be 2:45+, then maybe a gel right near the end of the bike. On the run it's just race hydration for me. Less is more. If you eat right leading up to the race, then you don't need much during.

Thanks, really appreciate this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:

I just did Olympic race this morning and this is like 90% same as what I did. On the bike, I stopped drinking like 10 min before the bike end to prevent stitching. If you get a cramp during bike or run, you can throw pickle juice or HotShot somewhere in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only drink water in an Olympic. 2-3 bottles on the bike, depending on heat. Then, nothing on the run. I target around 2:20-ish time. Longer, and maybe other stuff, but I think just water is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second AKCrafty. We have a similar routine. Key is to practice practice practice, so that race day holds no surprises.

Pre-race: 3 hours before, 1 ProBar and 2 cans of Ensure, and a double espresso. Sip water until 45 minutes before race, after that, no water or I always have to pee right before the start. I also find I like to swim on an empty stomach.

On the bike: I wait ~5 minutes before drinking anything, to let my HR come down and body settle into the bike. Then generally one 24oz bottle of Skratch Labs over the ~1:05 ride. If it's very hot (or if I was on the bike longer), I'd bring a 2nd bottle of Skratch and likely drink about half of it. I don't like gels. I like Cliff Shot blocks. Eat 2 every 15 minutes on the bike, which means I get through about 1.5 sleeves. I usually eat a couple heading into transition.

Run: Gatoraide on the course if available. If it's some kind of weird sports drink I've never tried, I'll bring my own Shot Blocks and drink water. Ideal for me is two block every two miles. I'll take water every mile if they have it.

Finish: 3 scoops of Skratch recovery (2 scoops chocolate, 1 scoop coffee) and 5g of L Glutamine mixed in water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's your first Oly you might be looking at a completely different fueling strategy than someone more experienced. Time on the course, familiarity with the intensity, athlete weight play a large part in what makes a good nutrition plan. How fast are you? How big or small are you?

I carry ~200cal on the bike - either a gel and sports drink, or two gels and plain water (1 bottle, in any case). Gets me fueled but not full for the run during which I take plain water from the aid stations. For reference, I bike ~1:00-1:03 and run ~37-38 minutes, so I'm targeting a relatively high intensity and so prefer a lower caloric load.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition strategy for Oly race [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carbohydrates are your friend...

exxxviii wrote:
I only drink water in an Olympic. 2-3 bottles on the bike, depending on heat. Then, nothing on the run. I target around 2:20-ish time. Longer, and maybe other stuff, but I think just water is good.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normal food before; a gel shortly after the start, and another one shortly before the end, of the bike (I have 2 taped to the cross-bar); another one during the run which I stuff down my top, as I don't like to run carrying anything. Plus water.

(I'm 57kg and olympic distance takes me about 2:40 on a good day. I should say "took" because the last time I did one was 2017).
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition strategy for Oly race [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

You can down 3 bottles in just over an hour of biking?? Holy pee!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bigger guy (185lbs) relative to most but push my Olympic between 2:15-2:20; course dependent. I do banana/Peanut Butter and granola about 2-3 hrs before the start. Then do a redbull/gel (or shot blocks) about 10-15 min before. I am a heavy sweater and will do 24oz H2O BTA and a 24-32oz bottle of infinit BTS. My Infinit mix is 270 calories and if I go up to 32 I also add an extra scoop of hydrate for an additional 100 calories and extra salt. Then on the run I will do 2 gels at mile 1 and 3-4. For me the salt is almost more important than the calories, but I try to bike at 90% FTP and would like to push up to 92-95% So, the more calories I can take in the better equipped I am to run well. Overall, if I can get 500-600 calories in during bike/run I can run a solid z3-->z4 run.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition strategy for Oly race [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
carbohydrates are your friend...

This is something I am still sorting out. I am actually contemplating the idea of drastically cutting back carbs for 70.3 races. My runs are abysmal, but my best run, by a big margin, was when I lost all of my nutrition at the beginning of the bike. I did that race on like 200 calories taken in during the race.
SBRcanuck wrote:

My normal rate of consumption is 1 bottle/hour when the temperature and humidity are low. On a hot and humid ride, my typical intake is around 2 bottles/hour. I live in the southeast US, where runs in Olympic races are often above 85° and 80% humidity. If I know it will be a cooker, I will dramatically increase my water and electrolyte intake on the bike to pre-load for the run. I may not completely drink 3 bottles during the bike, but I will definitely start that 3rd bottle.
Last edited by: exxxviii: May 28, 19 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take a gel about 15 mins before the swim. Usually tape 2 gels to the top tube and try to put them away on the bike, but I don't force myself. Drink water, but mix it with gatorade if it's a hot day. Water only on the run, approx every 2 miles.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition strategy for Oly race [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. Seems like a lot of you have difference approaches to nutrition during an Olympic race. I was sort of under the impression that most people don’t consume much other than water/electrolytes and a gel or two during a race or this length, seems like I was wrong. My guess is that the temperature will be hot for my race, then again it’s the east coast in June so might not be.

I am 137lbs right now so not sure how body weight influences my nutritional intake. I also only have 2 bottle cages on my road bike....should I be getting a double holder for behind my seat? Sorry for all the questions but all the logistical stuff is still a bit confusing to me. Also...since my bike will be sitting out in the sun for a while before I jump on...I am guessing I need to toss my regular bottles and get some insulated ones for race day? Hadn’t even thought about this until now haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One bottle should be fine for bike - certainly no need for more than 2. I usually have one gel on the bike at the halfway point, a big swig of sports drink real quick in T2, and maybe one gel on the run and either sports drink or water at some of the aid stations on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One bottle of water on the bike and a few drinks on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is sort of a variable question as sweat rate and content tends to factor in here. I'm on the heavy end of sweating.

An Oly race day is breakfast is 3 hours before race time, water bottle roughly 30-45 minutes from race start with a Precision Hydration 1500 tab. On the bike I'll do two water bottles with e-Fuel mixed to full strength (3 scoops), timing it so I'm not drinking the last 10 minutes of so.

I'll have a SIS gel (like that you don't have to mix water with it) on my race belt to down in the first mile of the run.. and then a cup of water over the head and maybe a spalsh of water to drink every other aid station the next couple of miles. Nothing the last two miles except maybe water over my head if its really hot.. or ice dumped in my kit its available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think everyone is different in terms of what works best, especially at the higher intensity levels experienced athletes race OLY distance.

But as a starting point, 2 bottles of fluids on bike + 1 gel every 45 min or so should be fine. 1-2 on the bike and 1 midway through run.

Insulated water bottles like Podium Chill would be nice but don’t overthink this. You can put some crushed ice in there instead of water when you’re mixing up your sports drink. You could also freeze your bottles overnight if your sure it will be hot enough that they thaw in time. Test this (test everything) before your race.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition strategy for Oly race [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

I think he's one of those guys who sweat A LOT. I need like a half bottle an hour bike. I barely sweat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fill your bottle with ice then top with sports drink it you're worried about hot. Or, if really hot and there's a long time from when you leave your bike until the race starts, freeze 2/3 full and top off.

I say NO WAY, at 137 lbs, do you need more than 2 bottles for a 40K bike. Most will ruin Oly & Sprtin races by eating too much than not eating enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:

2:45+ and a gel? Going that slow that person has plenty of fuel (likely excess fat)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A gel before the start of the swim.

Only 1 bottle of sport drink on the bike. (+ watter bottle if it's really hot)

A gel just before getting off the bike.

Water only on the run (you don't have time to digest anything anyway)

All gels have electrolytes.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition strategy for Oly race [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a few have said before:
- proper breakfast a few hours before (oatmeal with peanut butter, banana, coffee)
- hydrate as you would normally pre-race
- a gel about 15 minutes before the swim
- 24oz or so hydration on the bike (make sure you get your electrolytes)
- a gel about 10-15 minutes before you get off the bike
- fluid only on the run (it's over before you will reap the benefits of consuming a gel or the like)

For me the biggest issue is getting electrolytes as I sweat a lot of salt. For that I consume a water bottle with 1500 Precision Hydration pre-race and my bike fluid has a 1000 Precision Hydration mix in it.

Olympics are short enough you don't need to do a lot of the nutrition you would do for a 70.3 or longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barberdolan wrote:
Seems like a lot of you have difference approaches to nutrition during an Olympic race. I was sort of under the impression that most people don’t consume much other than water/electrolytes and a gel or two during a race or this length, seems like I was wrong.

I am 137lbs right now so not sure how body weight influences my nutritional intake. I also only have 2 bottle cages on my road bike....should I be getting a double holder for behind my seat? I am guessing I need to toss my regular bottles and get some insulated ones for race day?

the answers have been interesting.. for experienced athletes under 2:45 or so, my idea is that minimal nutrition is required. I've never used anything but a Coke/water mix in the bottle, and never felt the need..

single bottle should be fine, use a 20oz one. I have been using Polar insulated since it's inexpensive and reasonably effective, half-fill with Coke then top up with ice on race morning. This keeps it cold or at least approximately cool under most conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition strategy for Oly race [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I think he's one of those guys who sweat A LOT. I need like a half bottle an hour bike. I barely sweat.
Yep. That, and I feel like most of my Oly runs are on the surface of the sun.
Quote Reply

Prev Next