Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutrition Resources?
Quote | Reply
Is there a good resource you would recommend to get ideas about nutrition? My wife is doing her 4th triathlon and seems to have the training down, but she's having trouble with the nutrition side and has even gained a few pounds during the training. I'm sure it has to do with eating too many carbs/sugar as she snacks during the day a fair amount. She realizes that's the problem, but isn't sure what type of food/snacks she should be eating. Normally she reaches for a granola bar or something similar which has a lot of sugar in it.
She likes having a plan/schedule so wants to have a nutrition plan. I want to help, but I'm not even sure what type of foods to put in it. Her only dietary restriction is that she doesn't do dairy.

What are some examples of reasonably healthy snacks that are at least somewhat satisfying?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Resources? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
Is there a good resource you would recommend to get ideas about nutrition? My wife is doing her 4th triathlon and seems to have the training down, but she's having trouble with the nutrition side and has even gained a few pounds during the training. I'm sure it has to do with eating too many carbs/sugar as she snacks during the day a fair amount. She realizes that's the problem, but isn't sure what type of food/snacks she should be eating. Normally she reaches for a granola bar or something similar which has a lot of sugar in it.
She likes having a plan/schedule so wants to have a nutrition plan. I want to help, but I'm not even sure what type of foods to put in it. Her only dietary restriction is that she doesn't do dairy.

What are some examples of reasonably healthy snacks that are at least somewhat satisfying?

Thanks

Quest bars are great to satisfy sugar cravings without much penalty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Synthetic's reply was a good one. She may get better results by trying to replace some of the sugar calories with protein instead. Her blood sugar will remain more stable, better allowing her to eat a little less while training and drop the weight gain.[/img]

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If weight loss is a main goal of hers, unfortunately even if she eats 100% vegan healthy, she will still gain weight if the caloric intake exceeds BMR+exercise burned calories.

If she is really serious and committed to weight loss, I would recommend that she use LoseIt or similar calorie counting app and track all her calories in/out for a month. It's not as hard as it sounds, although the first 2 weeks are a bit harder since you don't have your regular foods/calories pre-entered.

She should still educate herself about proper nutrition, but you gotta get the calorie count down to lose weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Resources? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quest bars are rubbish

http://www.leanitup.com/...verstated-fiber-750/

Eat lean protein-fills you up at low cals.
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Resources? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Quest bars are rubbish

The link you posted basically explains the lawsuit, says the lawsuit may not have merit, then says even if it does have merit that doesn't change much (less fiber per bar) since the nutrition is still very good with these bars and that you should still eat them. The author convinced me to try them haha.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I'll have my wife give Quest bars a try. Coincidentally I can get Quest Bars and Muscle Milk bars for free at work, but haven't given Quest a shot yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dropped my business card in a fishbowl 5 years ago and won a consultation with the Core Diet folks

https://www.thecorediet.com/

I thought it was enlightening and has helped me transform my diet from eating whatever crap I felt like stuffing in my mouth to eating whole natural meals and snacks, and also limiting/timing carb intake to take volume and timing of workouts into account

It may be worth the money for a few sessions with them or another reputable place to get a personalized plan that identifies nutritional gaps, strengths and weaknesses.

If you don't go that route, google low glycemic foods. That is the stuff you want to eat to fill you up while limiting overall calories (e.g. lean protein, not processed carbs)

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Quest bars are rubbish

Welcome to 2018. They used IMO years back, now use corn fiber
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Resources? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
dunno wrote:
Quest bars are rubbish

Welcome to 2018. They used IMO years back, now use corn fiber

Hmmm fair point. I still don’t rate them all-full of weird sounding chemicals by memory and tasted like a piece of rubber. I’d much rather chew on some grilled chicken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rubbery texture is usually the IMO bars. Current quest bars are more hard cookie like
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she's not wanting to eat real food...not processed...I suggest looking at Hammer Nutrition. They do their best to keep any type of sugar out of their products.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition Resources? [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
If she's not wanting to eat real food...not processed...I suggest looking at Hammer Nutrition. They do their best to keep any type of sugar out of their products.

Processed food comes in a package. I never seen a tree growing with hammer hel packets as fruit.
Quote Reply