Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nut pain and shorts recommendation
Quote | Reply
Hello all of you lovely forum readers. I need your thoughts on a bit of a sensitive topic.

Over the past 8-9 months I have had the situation where, while out running, I get a severe pain in one of my testicles. It only really lasts while running. If I stop and walk, it is still noticeable, but not awful. Start running again, pain returns. Over these 8-9 months it has only appeared 3 or 4 times. Not common enough to figure out any sort of pattern. The only consistent thing I have noticed, is that it has only happened after 15+ km. I have been to a urologist who is as confused as I am as to what's going on. Per the ultrasound he did...there's nothing mechanically wrong.

So, 2 questions come from this.

1) Have any of you had any experience in something like this? If so, what course of action did you take to fix things?

2) I am looking for new running shorts that have a built in liner. Preferably a very snug, tight fitting liner. Do any of you have a suggestion on shorts? (I don't have any shorts with the brief-style liner, all of mine that have liners currently have the longer ones that also compress the thighs)

Thank you all in advance.
Tony
Quote Reply
Re: Nut pain and shorts recommendation [ilovemyfootball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a beginner at running, and have been experiencing this.
I wear UnderArmour boxerjocks under short leggings or light shorts. That corrected the pain for me.
https://www.underarmour.com/...rjock/pid1332663-011
It might be warm for hot summer jogs though.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the lightweight adidas running shorts with the brief liner. I'm not sure of the name but I picked up both pairs at an outlet store for cheap. Lululemon shorts also have that liner in some of their running shorts however I find them too heavy for running in the summer in Houston

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you dehydrated?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Nut pain and shorts recommendation [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
Are you dehydrated?

I really hope not. I've been training for a trail race so have been running with a hydration vest (and actually, starting with a full bladder as well to give additional weight). I will have to think hard about if there is any overlap between weather/drinking during the incidents though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much are you drinking throughout the day? If you start dehydrated, it's already too late. It's impossible to play catch up during a work out

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you sit down a lot at work? have tight hips? weak glutes/hams?

consider doing some research on lower crossed syndrome. it can create a mean groin/lower pelvic pain that sure feels a lot like pain in one of the testes. not at all fun, but fixable, in my experience. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duct tape that boy in place! no more bouncing!

:)
Quote Reply
Re: Nut pain and shorts recommendation [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
do you sit down a lot at work? have tight hips? weak glutes/hams?

consider doing some research on lower crossed syndrome. it can create a mean groin/lower pelvic pain that sure feels a lot like pain in one of the testes. not at all fun, but fixable, in my experience. . .

To the last couple responses...I drink a fair amount of water during the day, so I hope that's not the issue, but you've got me wondering so I'll keep track of that.

Lower crossed syndrome...looks like I have some research to do during work tomorrow, thanks for the heads-up. I'm pretty sure that the pain is in the teste, touching it during a flare up causes pain, but again, I'll look into it. Thanks.

Duct tape? What you smoking :) Sounds as painful as the problem it's trying to solve!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also check for inguinal hernia ( I had a surgery for that a few years ago, it causes nuts pain). How old are you ?
Did your urologist check for that ?

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Nut pain and shorts recommendation [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another possibility is varicose veins in the testicle, which is sometimes caused by a lot of physical exertion such as running with no, or minimal testicular support. Surgeons can re-route the blood but it decreases fertility. I remember reading that 1 of the signs of needing a varicocele is a scrotal sac that feels like a bag of worms. However, getting it checked is the only sure way to know.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilovemyfootball wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
Duct tape? What you smoking :) Sounds as painful as the problem it's trying to solve!

Ok, I could have put pink in there. Look at the bright side -- your nut would not hurt from running! (now, the Brazilian might knock you out for a week. But that is a different story). Hopefully you got a laugh out of the suggestion.
Quote Reply
Re: Nut pain and shorts recommendation [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
ilovemyfootball wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

Ok, I could have put pink in there. Look at the bright side -- your nut would not hurt from running! (now, the Brazilian might knock you out for a week. But that is a different story). Hopefully you got a laugh out of the suggestion.

Definitely worth a laugh!

Slug - thanks for giving me nightmares tonight. My sac feeling like a bag of worms sounds terrifying. Fortunately, a doc has looked at it and that was not mentioned as a possibility. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Any recommendations on the shorts? I would like to find some decent running shorts with a tight liner. Anyone try to Salomon Fastwing Twinskin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YW ilovemyfootball. I'm here to help lol.

There might be new surgical techniques for a varicocele now that may even be better for fertility as well. I just remember the swelling and the feeling of heft in a bad way, and importantly, never got anyone pregnant ;)

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have groin pain caused by running, but have one side that's sometimes a little tender from an unrelated medical issue. I've worn lots of different compression shorts to keep the equipment stabilized. I started wearing them to keep my thighs from chafing, and I've learned that they solve a lot of problems by keeping parts in place. I even wear them when cycling, under my cycling shorts as I find they keep the boys in place a lot better than cycling shorts alone. (Bonus: you can strip down to the compression for a clothing change in T2 without getting DQ'd for nudity.)

The longer compression liner in some shorts is not nearly as compressive as a stand-alone compression short. I find the built-in liners to be a little baggy in the crotch and not very compressive over the muscles.

My favorite compression shorts are probably Skins brand, the 200 or 400 model. They have flat seams that don't rub much, which makes them the best brand for the bike. Under Armour makes compression tights ("Heat Gear" is all I remember about the model) that also work well on the bike. UA makes a longer model that reaches almost to the knee and provides a little extra sun protection, which I like.

Nike makes compression shorts also (the NP short is the one I use), though I use them mainly for running and not biking, because they're a little shorter than the Skins. I have a thicker pair from Mava that are geared more toward gym use, and I like them a lot, too

I have not had good experiences with fancier models from CEP and other niche brands.

An expert once told me, when I said I thought my compression shorts were too tight, that if I could put them on they weren't too tight. That's probably an exaggeration, but they should fit tight. I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs and I wear a small in Nike, UA and Skins.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply