Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
November butterfly challenge.
Quote | Reply
How many metres / yards of fly can you do this month? Full stroke, no fins.

give yourself a target here, then see how close you get by the end of Nov.

update: Nov 20

JiH - T3000m (downgraded) - actuals 2000m

Zenmaster28 - T2000m - Actuals - 450

monty - T4000y - - actuals 2700

Tsunami - T25y

VALHALLA - T5000y actuals 2050

SLOgoing - T1000y - actuals 400

Dev Paul - T13500m - actuals

daved - T5000y - act 2800y

twain - target = 7000, actuals 6150

dr Tigerchick - 25y

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 20, 19 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: November butterfly challenge. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This seems less fun than last month...

I think I would be doing well to make 3000m so that's my target.
Quote Reply
Re: November butterfly challenge. [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
This seems less fun than last month...

I think I would be doing well to make 3000m so that's my target.

I made this one especially for Dev...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made this one especially for Dev... //

And if he thought last months was not inclusive, wait until he sees this months!!! At least he can win this one, actually will win it. I will shoot for 4k myself, does one arm fly count??
Quote Reply
Re: November butterfly challenge. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

And if he thought last months was not inclusive, wait until he sees this months!!! At least he can win this one, actually will win it. I will shoot for 4k myself, does one arm fly count??

Read the bleedin’ rules in the first post!!! Full stroke counts. Not one arm, not kick, not fins. Full stroke fly for a full length.

I will allow one armed fly for purposes of avoiding collisions and broken wrists, but that’s it.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot the pink, of course I would never count on armed fly, and would expect no less than full on fly to count. No kick, kick pull either, I don't consider that fly either...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shared a lane with a woman the other night challenging herself to swim 50 mi in 100 days, after not having been in the pool for some time. So with that challenge in mind and now seeing this, I'll comit to thrashing out 25 yd of fly. Assuming the life guards don't try to rescue me before I reach the far end of the pool ;-p

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: November butterfly challenge. [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We can do a relay, you swim down and I'll swim back.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
How many metres / yards of fly can you do this month? Full stroke, no fins.

give yourself a target here, then see how close you get by the end of Nov.

JiH - target 7000m

I need a few weeks physio prep for this challenge.
Left shoulder is strongly against since the october challenge. I finished last month with approx. 40 m fly...
I bet my coach has a few lenghts for me to swim on the next plans though :-).

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh cool....i stayed out of the pool in October to give mind and body a reset so looking for some motivation to get back and started again. 3000yds worth of IM's per workout 3 days/week would mean 9000yds of fly for the month. so to allow for some wiggle room, i'll aim for 5000 fly for the month.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in UK my swim club and a group call the Ribena's -- it is a blackcurrent drink - Every Wednesday - 1 mile fly - non stop... PS I was not a member...LOL

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gosh. My coach only has me swimming around 3,000 yds per week right now. I'll throw down 1,000.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would estimate that around 12-18 percent of each workout is full fly depending on how much IM I am doing, but the same percentages largely apply to back and breast, and on Nov 16 I am racing 50fly, 100 fly, 200 fly and 200IM

My target overall meters this month is 110,000m.

But I would prefer this challenge to be about times for 50 and 100 fly not totals or maybe time improvements from first attempt and last one
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 2, 19 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: November butterfly challenge. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I would estimate that around 12-18 percent of each workout is full fly depending on how much IM I am doing, but the same percentages largely apply to back and breast, and on Nov 16 I am racing 50fly, 100 fly, 200 fly and 200IM

My target overall meters this month is 110,000m.

But I would prefer this challenge to be about times for 50 and 100 fly not totals or time improvements from first attempt and last one

Noted.

get your request in before the end of the month. New challenge is going up on (or near) the first of every month. at least until I run out of ideas or get bored...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
creative! I think the rules should be you must do the fly AND not get hurt...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you want us to report this. Do you want us to give you a total weekly?

Yesterday I had a 3000m workout where there were at least 300m (maybe more) of fly (there was a main set of 5x100m as 50 fly-50 free on 2 minutes). Today two main sets were 8x150 (as 100IM+50 free) and then 10x100m (as 50 fly-50 back where on the back I as trying to dolphin as far as I could undewater.....generally to around 10m....and recover when above water). Then I closed with a steady 400IM. So yesterday would be 300m, today at least 800m. I can just keep tabs offline and report progress 1x per week.

Next weekend I am in London UK and plan to swim both Saturday and Sunday at the Olympic aquatic center (try to occupy lane 4 or 5 for some Phelps style inspiraion), probably a mini camp of 2x6000m days as the subsequent weekdays will be light on pool time.

In any case, I'll put myelf up for 13500m of fly for the month. That would be ~12% of a 110,000m. The main thing I want to do is log a big month of swim training. I am hoping to XC ski a bit more this winter, and I think the core work from the fly and dolphin kicking is a huge benefit for skate skiing because skate skiing and double poling are the exact same motion as you do from when your hands pass your nose to exit by the hips and I am certain that after a 4 year disc injury hiatus the main reason why I was able to do this sport (skate skiing) at the end of last winter was all the work in the pool.

I would like to see if I can get to 40, 1:30 and 3:25 scm in the 50, 100, 200 fly and maybe its possible this month. Last year I only got to 42, 1:33 and 3:29.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got in 300 fly on 11/2 as 12x25's@;40--all 18+'s

It's a start, but probably out of the pool for a week for a camp..But on the board at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
200m tonight. 6800 to go.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DUDE.... ugh... (ha ha) ok!

What did Dev put down? 10k?
Thatll be tough w the holiday and travel for a week.

Ill put 5k but hoping to "fly" past that mark... see what I did there?

Thanks again for putting up some fun challenges!

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

4K to win? This place has gone soft! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: November butterfly challenge. [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4K to win? This place has gone soft! ;-) //

You read it wrong, I said "HE" will win it, probably do something like 15k or something stupid like that. But yes you are right, I'm getting soft, but perhaps 4k of fly will harden me up, just a little.. (-; Have to say, just doing 300 of semi sprints, felt abs that I haven't seen in awhile..

How have you been? Ready to go back to Kona now and go for that record now that the swim is 220 meters shorter than you last time there?.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
4K to win? This place has gone soft! ;-) //

You read it wrong, I said "HE" will win it, probably do something like 15k or something stupid like that. But yes you are right, I'm getting soft, but perhaps 4k of fly will harden me up, just a little.. (-; Have to say, just doing 300 of semi sprints, felt abs that I haven't seen in awhile..

How have you been? Ready to go back to Kona now and go for that record now that the swim is 220 meters shorter than you last time there?.

he's put himself down for 13500m. which is what, about 15k yards?

I've put myself down for 7k and that's gonna be a real push to get there.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't bring myself to do this challenge. I subscribe to the less is more philosophy when it comes to training butterfly. I did another meet yesterday with a last second registration will post in the meets results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I initially thought that you were posting the longest straight set of fly only.

My eyes about popped out of my head at your 7KM goal.

Cumulative monthly distance makes a lot more sense

While i am sure there are people that love distance fly (psychopaths) i am certainly not one of them.

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my main set was 10x50m as 25m moderate fly+25m hard back (dolphin kick as far as I could under water). Then my next set was 5x200IM, where the 50 back was really hard sprint and the rest of an easy or moderate pace. So mainly it was a hard back stroke day. There was 450m of fly in there in a 3400m workout.

Some of the comments on this thread come across like you are mocking me for doing whatever volume I am doing but I've always been a high volume athlete that is able to handle really high intensities for my weight. When I was a top Canadian Masters XC skiier, almost no one who is not a pro could do my really hard workouts. I went for hardly biking at all to doing a 30+ hrs training week in Kona 2 weeks ago that involved almost 30,000 ft of climbing in a week training with Ultraman guy Rob Gray (he won Ultraman Kona in 2018). I may not be a good swimmer but I am getting better and probably in better shape for my age than most people, and can handle a large training load. I just don't do this sport particularly well, but this is exactly why most triathletes don't want to hang out on swimmer threads because they will get laughed out of here. Learning a new sport in your 50's does require a lot of time and effort and I am getting there. At least I am trying and participating. The rest of you guys did this as kids.

I've been doing just under 100km per month every month all year this year, doing all four strokes so I don't think 13500m relative to doing all 4 strokes is way high. If I do 110km this month as 13,500 fly, 20,000-2500m back, 8000m breast, that still leaves around 70,000 of free.

if you divided my swim volume for the month by 3, then I am down to around 4000m-4500m of fly.

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next