Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Noticed a lot of places discounting ENVE wheels - any particular reason?
Quote | Reply
I've seen a number of shops offering pretty deep discounts (>30%) on ENVE wheels. My Bike Shop, Competitive Cyclist/Backcountry, Glory Cycles, Velomine. Maybe some others. It's on pretty much all their road models (2.2, 3.4, 5.6, 7.8; both road and disc) except the new AR's I guess I haven't really payed much attention to ENVE wheels, but I didn't think places usually discounted these. Is ENVE planning to phase these hooked, narrower models out so stores are trying to clear stock? Or just normal end of season sales?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Noticed a lot of places discounting ENVE wheels - any particular reason? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their regular MSRP is higher than the market will pay, so they are having to adjust the price.

If they don't adapt, they will die.
Quote Reply
Re: Noticed a lot of places discounting ENVE wheels - any particular reason? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know their financial situation and I'm guessing you dont either.

The wheels I'm seeing on sales are demo and/or the ones with DT240 hubs. They switched to proprietary hubs and lowered their price, so they have to lower the price on the old models which had a higher MSRP
Quote Reply
Re: Noticed a lot of places discounting ENVE wheels - any particular reason? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the ones I’m referencing are new and have DT Swiss 240 hubs. Price is 1600-1700 (down from mrsp of 2900) which is which is significantly lower than the cheapest option on ENVE’s site for the same rims (2550 with ENVE alloy hubs). Maybe just phasing our building with DT hubs? The road options on their site seem to be just Chris King and Enve allow now (with some builds having I9 or ENVE carbon as an option).

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Noticed a lot of places discounting ENVE wheels - any particular reason? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they have DT Swiss hubs they are not new. It may be new as of, never used but not the new models they are selling.
As mentioned, ENVEdeveloped their own hub that helped bring prices down. I bought a pair of 7.8s with their own hub on a very good price a few months ago.

Go online and you'll see. The only options you have are ENVE's(carbon or alloy) hubs or Chris King's(Ceramic or R45).
Last edited by: rcb.tri: Nov 12, 19 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess would be that they're clearing them out to replace them with the hookless versions.

If I had a couple thousand burning a hole in my pocket, I would be all over this. The DT240 hubs are good hubs -- and I prefer hooks on my rims. (Sometimes, you just have to use a tubed tire.)

But I can see hookless catching on the same way press-fit bottom brackets did. As with BB/PF bottom brackets, it won't do the customer any favors, but it makes a huge difference in manufacturing costs. Competitors may resist for a time but, before the passage of a couple years, I suspect it will become difficult to find a top-level hooked rim. The customer won't have a choice.
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Nov 12, 19 13:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Yeah, the ones I’m referencing are new and have DT Swiss 240 hubs. Price is 1600-1700 (down from mrsp of 2900) which is which is significantly lower than the cheapest option on ENVE’s site for the same rims (2550 with ENVE alloy hubs). Maybe just phasing our building with DT hubs? The road options on their site seem to be just Chris King and Enve allow now (with some builds having I9 or ENVE carbon as an option).

Even with the new ENVE proprietary hubs, you don't have to look to hard to get them 15-20% off list. I bought my ENVE 5.6 (with ENVE carbon hubs) from a reputable online retailer for 20% off list.
Quote Reply
Re: Noticed a lot of places discounting ENVE wheels - any particular reason? [rcb.tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcb.tri wrote:
If they have DT Swiss hubs they are not new. It may be new as of, never used but not the new models they are selling.
As mentioned, ENVEdeveloped their own hub that helped bring prices down. I bought a pair of 7.8s with their own hub on a very good price a few months ago.

Go online and you'll see. The only options you have are ENVE's(carbon or alloy) hubs or Chris King's(Ceramic or R45).

I read your post 4 or 5 times and still can't understand what you are trying to say. By new I am referring to the wheel (a) being unused and (2) using the most recent ('new') rim shape. i.e. the only difference between buying the 3.4 disc from Competitive Cyclist vs Enve is you get a different hub (well that and you save nearly 1000 dollars). They both use the same rim model.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
rcb.tri wrote:

I read your post 4 or 5 times and still can't understand what you are trying to say. By new I am referring to the wheel (a) being unused and (2) using the most recent ('new') rim shape. i.e. the only difference between buying the 3.4 disc from Competitive Cyclist vs Enve is you get a different hub (well that and you save nearly 1000 dollars). They both use the same rim model.

Translation :

If the rims have DT240 hubs they are to be called "new old stock" as in DT240 hubs have not been a regular part of enve builds for quite some time. Right now it's been their alloy or carbon hubs, Chris Kings and Industry9.
Quote Reply
Re: Noticed a lot of places discounting ENVE wheels - any particular reason? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
My guess would be that they're clearing them out to replace them with the hookless versions.

That is my thought as well. It seems like ENVE is all in on the hookless thing. From the consumer view I see more drawback than benefit of going from hookless to hooked (which is a whole different discussion). I don't *need* a pair of wheels but damn, seeing these almost half off is tempting. A 3.4 or 5.6 would be a good second set of wheels for my road plus bike. Plus DT Swiss hubs are likely higher quality than the Enve hubs and easier to service than CK's...and are lighter than both.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry man, didn't meant to make it more confusing.

So, these unused wheels you saw on sale are not the new ones that ENVE is selling since early this year when they replaced the DT Swiss hubs by their own ENVE hub.

The hub change(from DTSwiss to ENVE) helped improve the prices of their wheels so it was already possible to notice a price drop. I did some research before buying my 7.8s and the new ENVE hubs are, basically, a copy paste of DT Swiss but cheaper.

I hope it is clearer now.
Quote Reply
Re: Noticed a lot of places discounting ENVE wheels - any particular reason? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see. Kind of like when the 2019 version of a bike is discounted when the new 2020 shows up even though all they did is change the paint. Just kind of weird since wheel companies don't really do 'model years' per se like bikes

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Nov 12, 19 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Noticed a lot of places discounting ENVE wheels - any particular reason? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
Chemist wrote:
rcb.tri wrote:

Translation :

If the rims have DT240 hubs they are to be called "new old stock" as in DT240 hubs have not been a regular part of enve builds for quite some time. Right now it's been their alloy or carbon hubs, Chris Kings and Industry9.

^ This! Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Noticed a lot of places discounting ENVE wheels - any particular reason? [rcb.tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcb.tri wrote:

Which hubs are better?
Quote Reply
Re: Noticed a lot of places discounting ENVE wheels - any particular reason? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i can’t comment on that since I never tried the DT240 hubs to compare but this is not really the point of this thread. Since ENVE started shipping wheels with their own hubs they’ve been able to offer more competitive prices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The discounted wheels you are seeing through some of our premier retail partners are DT240 closeouts. With the introduction of our own hubs, we are no longer offering DT Swiss in our line.

These wheelsets sold at a discounted rate still qualify for ENVE Warranty and Lifetime Incident Protection. Please be sure to register your wheelset if you purchase one of these sets.
Quote Reply