Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Not your typical swim stroke count thread
Quote | Reply
I've been working on swim form, and something I've noticed that is surprising and (maybe) interesting.

Doing 50's in a 25 SCY pool, I'm at 19-20 strokes per length. Catch-ups are slower but also end up being about 20 strokes per length. (Golf score hovering just north of 80 on average.)

The surprising thing is that single arm drills take me: 16 strokes per length (right) and 17 strokes per length (left). Yes, I'm slower, but... is this normal or is it indicating body position improvements that are still possible during normal swimming?

Just now getting around to thinking about that discrepancy and what it might mean.

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Re: Not your typical swim stroke count thread [SignalStrength] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably you are gliding more efficiently.

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you breathing every stroke on the single arm drill?
That might explain why you have less strokes than when swimming with both arms and breathing every 2 or 3 strokes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about normal, but I have a somewhat similar experience. My stroke count on one arm drills is a bit lower than regular swimming. My stroke count on catch up is even lower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder (and I don't actually KNOW - I'm a crappy swimmer) if the change of position from left to right is what is slowing you down - maybe creating extra turbulence, while keeping one position (on one side) produces some, but less, turbulence?

"I'm going to stick to my sardines" - Cassidy
"Others took their lemons and stood up and walked." - Kestrelkerri
"I will never know quite why I set out on the run. I guess because it was next." - Nachocheese
"No, just to people on the Forum. My athletes are the control group." - Paulo Sousa
" Actually, I am naturally an Asshole....not unlike the way you are naturally an idiot." IRONLOBO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a clue but I wonder why mastering good swimming technique requires a degree in rocket science. I'm not dissing you. Just wondering whether the "experts" are holding back on us turtles.
Quote Reply
Re: Not your typical swim stroke count thread [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a clue but I wonder why mastering good swimming technique requires a degree in rocket science. I'm not dissing you. Just wondering whether the "experts" are holding back on us turtles.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think I'm the best swimmer, but it's really pretty simple. Good swim technique:

1) rotate your body like a pencil twisting in your fingers. don't just rotate your torso, turn your whole body, and for god's sake don't wiggle like a snake.

2) keep your head neutral, like you're standing at attention, not looking up at the sky or down at you toes

3) catch the water and pull, but don't cross-over, and be sure to complete your stroke (thumbnail scrathes your thigh at the end of each stroke)

4) get your hand back in the water as soon as possible on the recovery (right in front of a line parallel with the top of your head and straight out from your shoulder) and "shoot" that hand/arm through the water just under the surface. hold this arm parallel to the water's surface (don't let it sink) until you begin your pull. think of "skiiing" on this arm as you glide

5) kick a little for rhythm, but not for propulsion (you're going a long way)

6) since you're already rotating, stick your mouth (not your whole head) up and breath every once in a while

(edited #4 to be more clear after reading Doug's comment below. Doug, I didn't mean right in front of the center of your head, but simply meant to give the feel of getting the hand back in the water soon as opposed to reaching out above the water and "slapping" the palm on the surface--no glide that way)
Last edited by: Spiridon Louis: Feb 6, 07 7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are gliding more because you are only taking strokes with one arm. This is also a good example of why stroke count is not the sole factor determining how fast you swim as you are also swimming slower when you only take strokes with one arm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While swimming with one arm you are maintaining a continuous flow line. If you are doing it correctly, your extended arm is in line with your shoulder on that side (not in front of your head) and allows your hip on the arm pulling side to lead the action,
The same count occurs when you swim catch up with your arms lining up with each shoulder and not touching each other in front of your head.
If you find that your extended arm has a tendency to fall or cross over, place the extended hand on a small kick board.
DougStern
Last edited by: DougStern: Feb 6, 07 5:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it means much besides the fact that you're spending more time gliding--not swimming. Kicking is accounting for a larger percentage of your propulsion than when swimming with both arms. As a result, it takes fewer strokes to get across the pool. I've found the single arm drill to be very useful to challenge my balance in the water. I also never kick with a board. Kicking on your back or side without a board not only helps you to practice kicking, but it helps build confidence in the water which leads to better balance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
could be a timing issue such that your current timing does not maximize your glide? do you do front quadrant timing?

not a rocket scientist or a swimmer but just operating on some logic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert by any means but, how are you doing your one arm drills? is your "non-stroking" arm out in front or at your side. Try it at your side and see if you still take fewer strokes. Are you breathing to the same side? Try breathing to the opposite side of your stroking arm and count your strokes this way too. If your arm is out front and you are breathing to the same side then you are definitely gliding for longer, similar to when you do the catch-up.

QSA IMI K
Quote Reply
Re: Not your typical swim stroke count thread [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's not rocket science. Spend time in the water, do your drills and sets, you'll develop a feel for it eventually. Swim motions are not something you do during the rest of normal life! Your muscles have to learn the movements and practice them.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply