Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home.
Quote | Reply
Ran out for a quick mountain bike loop near my house. Can't count how many times I've done it. Is my go to when I have an hour to just get a quick climb and bomb on home.

This past Friday, mind was wandering and a tree branch was jutting out as I came around a downhill corner. Midjudged, clipped it, and went down pretty hard.

Shoulder: Crap
Ribs: Darn
Hip: Ouch
Cheek: Road rash tells no lies

Wife: You are too old for this! Why don't you ever pay attention? How fast were you going? I shouldn't be surprised, I see how you drive.

Does Giro make ear plugs?
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you, and I have heard it, they are both (equally?) bad
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess she ain't a member of the "Scars are manly" club eh?

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most importantly... is the bike OK ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally convinced my wife to let me buy a new commuter on the basis that the brakes and wider tires would be much safe in the winter. The thing about extra grip is you have confidence to push harder and still end up you on ass in an icy corner. I got a real telling off after coming off last week about how much money I had spent to still acting like an idiot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Ran out for a quick mountain bike loop near my house. Can't count how many times I've done it. Is my go to when I have an hour to just get a quick climb and bomb on home.

This past Friday, mind was wandering and a tree branch was jutting out as I came around a downhill corner. Midjudged, clipped it, and went down pretty hard.

Wife: You are too old for this! Why don't you ever pay attention? How fast were you going? I shouldn't be surprised, I see how you drive.

maybe don't bomb on the way down...the hard part is going up anyways...
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:

maybe don't bomb on the way down...the hard part is going up anyways...

And now his wife has discovered the slowtwitch forum....
Last edited by: trail: Nov 18, 19 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Wife: You are too old for this!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After you shower you will then learn what hurts worse - it’s cleaning the road rash

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
β€œFred Astaire, aged 77, has broken his wrist by falling from a skateboard,” announced The Associated Press in a world news bulletin. Three days later a spokesman for Golden Films, Astaire's company, issued their own update.

My hero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got hurt pretty bad yesterday while mountain biking, then got scolded relentlessly when I got home. My sins included not calling her to come get me, even though I was miles out into the woods and there is no way she would have been any help. lol.

Reading the other posts, I just now realized she never asked if the bike is ok. WTF?
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Nov 18, 19 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old is too old? I went down hard this summer (July 4th) . . . my wife's first Q "How's the bike . . . do I need to take it in for you?"

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing worse than going for a ride with friends and hearing the spouse's reaction when the caller ID shows that your riding companion is calling her part way through planned ride instead of you.
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
β€œFred Astaire, aged 77, has broken his wrist by falling from a skateboard,” announced The Associated Press in a world news bulletin. Three days later a spokesman for Golden Films, Astaire's company, issued their own update.

My hero

Just for the record, Fred Astaire Sr died in 1987 so I presume that bulletin is regarding Fred Jr.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have dated the news flash....it was Fred (the dancer) senior.
And it happened in the 70's when I was just a wee thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It got so bad with me that when I ended up in the Hospital with a broken Scapula, I was told that 'I hope you make it home ok'. She refused to come and help me home.

Looking back, I should have taken that as a sign. We got divorced a few years after that !

The good news was that the bike was ok !
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
There is nothing worse than going for a ride with friends and hearing the spouse's reaction when the caller ID shows that your riding companion is calling her part way through planned ride instead of you.

Even your own phone number is not good. This summer I called about 5 minutes after leaving the house asking her to come get me as I crashed. She arrived very quickly, however the ambulance, fire and police were already there raising heart rates. It was not a fun discussion, but at least the ambulance driver made her sit in front so she calmed down before getting to the hospital. Comment from all the 1'st responders - "you are really lucky today". My response - "have you seen my bike, I'd call it bad luck."
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can one up you on here, my wife forbade me from buying a MTB about 8 years ago. At work, there was a group of 6-8 hardcore MTB'ers, they were always egging me on to get a bike so I could join them on their lunch or after work rides. In the span of about 2 months, 4 of them ended up in the hospital for extended stays for various different serious injuries. Scapulas, collar bones, punctured lungs, broken hips, broken orbital sockets, etc.

So here I sit all these years later, still MTB-less. And with 49 years old right around the corner, it's probably for the best.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

My hero

https://medium.com/...nifesto-feac07614817

Kate was a goofyfoot

Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I can one up you on here, my wife forbade me from buying a MTB about 8 years ago. At work, there was a group of 6-8 hardcore MTB'ers, they were always egging me on to get a bike so I could join them on their lunch or after work rides. In the span of about 2 months, 4 of them ended up in the hospital for extended stays for various different serious injuries. Scapulas, collar bones, punctured lungs, broken hips, broken orbital sockets, etc.

Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - the MTB club that I used to ride with [until everyone moved] had the following rules

1) First one to use the brakes buys the beer
2) First one to put a foot down buys the rum [or tequila or vodka, or whatever is missing]
3) First one to walk buys dinner [hoagies, pizza, wings, what have you]

A decent crash could set you back $100, before medical and bike repairs

mck414 wrote:
So here I sit all these years later, still MTB-less. And with 49 years old right around the corner, it's probably for the best.

I never say a number anymore ... I just say "four dozen and something" and let the person I'm talking to do math

That is, until I'm "five dozen and something" [although, i'll probably just stick with "four" ;-)]

Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
My hero

I've been following Neal Unger for a while now [since he was only in his late 50s]

Awesome to see he got a commercial gig

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blew a tire (was a dumbass riding clinchers on the track) full speed in a turn at the track and then slid all the way down. Tons of "rash" and banged up my hip enough that I wasn't able to continue riding... so I packed everything in the car and drove (4 hours) home. I hadn't really realized how bad some of the scrapes were and I ended up bleeding all over the car on the ride and by that point adrenaline had wore off and I was starting to feel it and stiffen up... so when I got home my wife opens the door (didn't want to call her and worry her as I was relatively ok) and sees her husband still wearing shredded lycra now soaked in blood limping into the house. After the initial shock and scolding she gave me she said she'd get my bike out of the car as I started to shower/clean my wounds. Then as I'm standing in the shower she re-appears and begins tearing into me for bleeding all over the car. Fortunately a good cleaning saved it from becoming a bio-hazard.

Lessons learned
- always ride tubulars on the track
- always carry your own med kit
- bring extra towels
- call/text your SO instead of just showing up

Bike was ok

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Not sure what hurts worse, the crash, or the scolding once I get home. [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Bike was ok

That's called 'burying the lede', I believe :)

Seriously, the scolding is not always justified. You know very well about the dangers and work harder than the SO to mitigate them. You know it and the SO knows it.
But of course, it would be a wrong move trying to explain it during the emotional time. What I find helps is to let them know they're in control and helping, even a little bit. Let them analyze the injuries and give advice. Let them know what kind of mechanical/tactical changes are you going to make to prevent in the future. Emotions will eventually go down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

What about the bike? That's always my immediate concern.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply

Prev Next