Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance
Quote | Reply
I did see @42x16ss mention it, but am surprised there is not more talk about it. At 38 years of age just coming into his offseason, the Ironman of the World Tour (most consecutive Grand Tours completed) goes out and does an IM with no real run training and on a bike with DIY aero bars he made up 4 days before the race. On top of that, he is a vegan. So many things for ST to talk about/attack!

For those wondering, his swim was right at an hour, 4th fastest bike split and about a 3:37 marathon. He has pics of the bike and some commentary @HansenAdam.

If it was discussed at length already and I missed it, I apologize.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Last edited by: flynnzu: Nov 4, 19 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like he took 8th in his ag with a 9:05... that’s brutal. Top 5 in 35-39 all go under 9?
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like he took 8th in his ag with a 9:05//

And thus the reason there is not much talk about Adam Hansen...Now if he had the overall fastest bike split, it would be worth a mention, but no such luck..

So how was the course measured this year, folks that did it with your garmins, what did you get out there??
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From his Twitter... 15 runs composed his total run preparation. Mainly 6km to 8km. A few 10km and one 20km run. Just didn't have the time.

==

Damn impressive! Probably less than 75 miles to a 3:37 IM run and a 9:05 total time.
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With no run prep or downtime from a full WT season he's faster than Talansky.

Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With no run prep or downtime from a full WT season he's faster than Talansky.

Do you see any threads lately on Talansky?? Just taking the piss, good for Adam, is he going to stick with it??
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you - I thought it was pretty impressive that he could rock that right off a full WT season with less running miles than some folks are doing in a week (most the guys ahead of him are doing that probably at least half that per week).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very true - Not even Talansky is posting about Talansky much these days (he has pretty much disappeared from social media).

I just thought it was cool that a guy of his caliber in the WT thought it would be fun to crack off an IM after wrapping up his WT season.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Udo Boelts was another pro tour guy that trained for IMH for 3 weeks and did a 10:02 in year 2000. However, many years later, He did confess to using epo in his cycling career. Link no longer works... maybe Dan can bring the old interview link back to life and also do an interview of Adam!

Udo Boelts 2000 Ironman Hawaii 10:02, good for 39th place overall. His bike split: 4:42. Interview here with him: http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../interviewbolts.html. Did IM during his cycling season/career and the first one to do the Tour/Kona double and finished 74th in the Tour that year.

Nicknamed "Iron Udo", Boelts also participated in the Hawaii Ironman triathlon in 2000, and finished a very respectable 168th in 10:02:42. Afterwards he described it as rather painful, as he "was practically in a wheelchair during the run". The problem being that the lack of muscle condition in his legs couldn't cope with the demands of running a marathon after three weeks preparation.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Nov 4, 19 19:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, didn't realise Hansen used a road bike with bodged up aero bars lol. I just assumed he was riding within himself for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i find the swim impressive! he can't have much time to work on it. was he a fish before cycling?
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
From his Twitter... 15 runs composed his total run preparation. Mainly 6km to 8km. A few 10km and one 20km run. Just didn't have the time.

==

Damn impressive! Probably less than 75 miles to a 3:37 IM run and a 9:05 total time.

He's a hard nut.
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

i find the swim impressive! he can't have much time to work on it. was he a fish before cycling?
He did triathlon when he was younger before going down the cycling path full time.
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42x16ss wrote:
Wow, didn't realise Hansen used a road bike with bodged up aero bars lol. I just assumed he was riding within himself for the run.

It's a Ridley Dean FAST, not exactly a road bike...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure his performance should be much of a surprise, given his calibre as a full-time professional athlete; he must have a huge engine after all that cycling at WT level! He finished 20 Grand Tours on the trot; that is not Average Joe turning up to do Ironman.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
42x16ss wrote:

Never the less, if he could be bothered, on a proper rig then 15mins off that bike time would be easily achievable.
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15mins, really?!

The Ridley is what was used for the hour record. It's plenty fast.

https://www.bicycling.com/...ts-hour-record-bike/

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To think he could have gone faster if he didn't have an eating disorder.
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
To think he could have gone faster if he didn't have an eating disorder.

Oh man! No pink!
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
tessar wrote:
42x16ss wrote:

Never the less, if he could be bothered, on a proper rig then 15mins off that bike time would be easily achievable.

He had speedbars and has probably been to the wind tunnel more times in the past year than the entire pro field combined, take a lap.
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [emantell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my understanding was he mocked up those bars himself a few days before the race

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyclingnews just posted a quick write up on it:

"While many of his fellow riders were enjoying the off season, Adam Hansen pinned a number on his back at the weekend to take part in the Florida Ironman, going close the breaking the nine hour barrier and qualifying for the Kona Ironman despite only doing 15 or so run sessions before the event.

The 38-year-old Australian completed the 2.4-mile, swim, 112-mile ride and then a 26.22-mile marathon in a time of 9:05: 54, giving him 38th place in a field of 2,283 and eighth in his Men 35-39 age category. He was fourth fastest in the bike section, covering 112 miles in 4:15: 23 but took his time during the transitions and admitted he suffered in the marathon, setting a time of 3:37:03.

"So that was a cool experience, something to do in the off-season," Hansen said in a social media video, with an expression of fatigue and satisfaction as he sat in a cold bath still wearing his cycling kit.

Hansen admitted that he had done just 15 running sessions since ending his road racing season with Lotto Soudal at Tour of Guangxi in China in mid-October.

"Just didn't have the time. You get out of life what you put in.... So I deserve this pain," he tweeted.

“My transitions between the different disciplines were super slow, but it was fun, a good experience. I'm impressed," he explained.

"If I did it again I would have to add some extra running training sessions, I really felt the run and the walk back to the hotel was the worst part…"
Hansen has become a vegan in recent years and is known for riding a long series of consecutive Grand Tours between 2011 and 2018. He is also an avid tech entrepreneur, makes his own lightweight cycling shoes and has helped develop the Leomo motion-sensor bike computer.

He will again be part of the Lotto Soudal team in 2020."

Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [emantell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, he rode in a fully optimized world tour TT setup. That's what the race pictures show.

"Taking 15mins off that time easily achievable"??? LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Not much talk on Adam Hansen's (current WT rider) IM Florida Performance [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His transitions were super slow. That's easy time savings of nearly 10 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree on that, but I doubt his bike split would have been any faster just by switching to another bike.

Unless he switch to a Ventum as their marketing claim just by changing to that bike there is a 18min saving over the IM distance bike split (and 30min saving over the overall distance).
Quote Reply

Prev Next